Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Chapel Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 81710 times)

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel Division: Brackets and Results
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 03:14:52 pm »
+2

No response from bureaucrat so far.  Last seen a week ago.  Only 30 hours since PM sent, though. 

If no response by Saturday morning (PST), I will be sad.  I want to play as many games this tournament as possible. 

EDIT:
Yay!  Games will be played tomorrow.  ^^
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:24:40 pm by axlemn »
Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 06:37:05 pm »
+3

MBergstrom defeats Schneau 4-3

This was a hard-fought series with tons of interesting engine boards and lots of decisions. MBergstrom played well above his initial 18 level - he probably played more like a level 30 or 35 player - to pull off the upset. We both made small mistakes that may have cost us games. But, all the games fun and exciting, with 5 of the 7 games being won by 6 points or fewer.

Game 1: Schneau 50 (28 turns) to MBergstrom 50 (27 turns)
This game ended in a tie score when I had miscalculated the scores, forgetting about a Curse I had, resulting in a win for MBergstrom on fewer turns. I realized afterwards that I made a big mistake on my last turn, when I Forged a Gold and a Duchy into a Colony and buying a Province - I also had a Vault in my hand that I never played, and should have used that instead of the Duchy in my Forge to eek out the win. It was otherwise a long Familiar / Alchemist game with Vault and Forge making appearances. With my mistakes behind me, I forged on to game 2.

Game 2: Schneau 51 to MBergstrom 49
This was a crazy Vineyards game featuring Border Village, Hunting Party, and Bridge. We each managed 6 VP Vineyards, but I managed to get 8 combined Provinces and Vineyards to his 7. Another great close game.

Game 3: MBergstrom 53 to Schneau 28
In this game I probably inadvisedly ignore JoaT and wait too long on Tournaments while trying to build a Market / Highway engine that never panned out. MBergstrom gets 7 Provinces and cruises to the win.

Game 4: Schneau 47 to MBergstrom 25
My Warehouse / Tunnel deck got Golden faster than MBergstrom's, giving me a big win. I think MBergstrom bought too many villages with no terminals in his deck, where Warehouse or Tunnel would have been better options.

Game 5: MBergstrom 46 to Schneau 40
This was another very close game featuring Fishing Village / Margrave engines with lots of supplements. It came down to Duchy dancing where whoever bought the last Province would win it. I'm guessing I should have bought Gold instead of Harem the first few times, and a Militia may have helped early, though there wasn't much time to snag one.

Game 6: Schneau 27 to MBergsrom 23
I went for a Ironworks / Island rush, which may have been inadvisable with us both opening 5/2. I was able to finish the game just in time, with MBergstrom's engine firing nicely at the end, netting a Province on his last 3 turns. Another very close game.

Game 7 (I forgot to grab the logs): MBergstrom 31 to Schneau 28
Here we played a crazy KC/City/Peddler/Pawn/Ghost Ship game, where we each had quick turns because of Ghost Ship and draw-your-deck turns from KC. I think I had the early lead, but I made the mistake of buying 3 Provinces, leaving 2 left for MBergstrom to buy in one turn for the well-deserved win.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:32 pm »
+2

mith 4-2 Petty Thief Lout

Game 1:  Petty Thief Lout 22(20)-22(19) mith
Game 2:  mith 54-59 Petty Thief Lout*
Game 3: Petty Thief Lout (-2)-21 mith
Game 4: Petty Thief Lout 41-19 mith
Game 5: mith 39-31 Petty Thief Lout
Game 6: Petty Thief Lout 30(24)-30(24) mith
Game 7: Petty Thief Lout 32-50 mith

*Petty Thief Lout accidentally set me as start player for game 2, so we swapped for game 3 as well to even things out.

Game 1 - Cutpurse/Silver openings, and he went harder for the Farming Village/Rabble/Nobles engine while I fell behind early (first shuffle: Contraband/Rabble vs. nothing/Farming Village; ugh) and decided to just grab Provinces ASAP. I was hopeful I could three pile before he caught me (his turn 19 we were down to 1 Rabble with FV and Nobles empty, and I was up 8, but he Cutpursed me down to $4 and then bought 9 points anyway). And then he screwed up by not checking the score and ended the game early. Oops.

Game 2 - I tried a Double-Scheme/Conspirator engine (with a few other pieces picked up here and there), while his engine was a bit more durable with more Courtyards and Vaults. I hit 10 and 9 in the last three turns but he was able to get to 11 first to win.

Game 3 - I went for a second Sea Hag earlier, then started picking up Traders and easily won the Curse split (8-2, I think?). After that, lots of Silver, with Council Rooms to draw got me enough Provinces for a comfortable win. (Was hoping to three pile on Silver, but alas.)

Game 4 - Not really sure what happened on this one. He won the Ironworks/Great Hall gaining battle, then got to the Trading Post sooner, but I wasn't that far behind him and it didn't seem like he trashed more than me. I just didn't get to 8 fast enough, buying five Golds and an Expand over 7 turns while he jumped out to a 4-0 Province split.

Game 5 - Probably the most interesting game of the lot. Amb/Remake vs. Amb/Amb opening, with me sending Coppers exclusively and turning the Estates into Silver. I picked up a single Gold and Embassy, and then started greening with some Farmlands thrown in. Meanwhile, he had a great engine with most of the Caravans and started sending Curses with his Ambassadors. Any extra actions would probably have made his build too fast (especially with Monument for catching up on VP), but I held on.

Game 6 - My first shuffle luck continued to bite me, with my Spice Merchant hiding til turn 5 and slowing down my trashing. I went for three Witches to his two and split the Curses 6-4, but he jumped out to a Province lead which I was fortunate to counter with Duchies. I was more than happy to take the tie.

Game 7 - Nasty random game with King's Court/Jester featuring heavily. I got an early Mint to trash away most of my Copper (I was expecting to use this on Platinum eventually, but I never even had a real opportunity to use it on Gold, and never ended up buying Plats), and went a bit harder on the Jesters, giving me just enough of an advantage to stay ahead the rest of the game.

Thanks for the series, PTL!

sm

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
sm defeats jake11111 4:0
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 11:38:25 pm »
+2

Game 1:
sm: 41 jake11111: 35  http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-192036-642ecf20.html
With baron/expand on board it was a highway rush.
I won the split 6/4. I also had a couple of embassies that helped a bit.
Not sure whether scout was good enough here.

Game 2:
sm: 14 Jake1111: 3 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-194219-efeb20dc.html
I opened silver/Young witch, planning to grab trading post asap and then go into minions.
Jake started with shanty town/loan - in the end he trashed coppers faster, but could not make $5 often.
He did not buy witch until quite late and got slowed down by my witch.

Game 3:
sm: 69 Jake1111: 54 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-200530-b4aec01d.html
The plan was to get walled villages/embassies with a few treasures and bishops (so opponents possessions do  nothing).
It did not work very well - I never trashed down to bare minimum and the game was close. I also should have trashed silver with loan once or twice - and I did not.
Jake possessed himself at least once and bishoped out something from my hand giving me extra VPs.

Game 4:
sm: 41 jake1111: 33 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-201254-19d47061.html
Plan was to get apothecaries/bank/upgrade (to get rid of estates and to remove green cards from top after apothecary).
I thought I might get copper smith if I do not hit $5 or inn with a mass reshuffle near the end.
It pretty much worked.
Jake went for talisman which was too slow for this pool.

Good games!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:39:40 pm by sm »

dudeabides

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: dudeabides
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »
+2

dudeabides defeats JotaPete 4-1-1

Game 1: dudeabides 27 JotaPete 27
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-183009-7c1208e5.html
Key Cards:  Caravan, Highway, Remake
I go for a thin deck by opening Remake/Loan, while JotaPete goes for draw/money, opening Caravan/Silver and waiting until later to buy Remake for thinning.  JotaPete pulls ahead earl, and I am luckily able to Upgrade my Remake into Duchy on the last turn and buy the last Province to tie it up.

Game 2: dudeabides 43 JotaPete 21
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-184447-47b46ca5.html
Key Cards: Scrying Pool, Festival, Nobles, Bishop, Shanty Town
In a Colony game, I open Potion/Shanty Town, while JotaPete opens Bishop/Shanty Town.  I construct a Scrying Pool engine and am able to draw my entire deck by turn 9, while JotaPete goes BM with bishop to trash.  With 7 Festivals, I end the game on piles (Festival, Scrying Pool, Estate) on turn 16.  In hindsight, I probably should have bought some Golds and Platinums earlier, but I wanted the buys from Festivals to end it quickly.  Perfect set of cards for a Scrying Pool engine.  JotaPete confessed after the game that he needed to learn how to better use Scrying Pools.

Game 3: dudeabides 41 JotaPete 32
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-190621-bb28ad36.html
Key Cards: ???  Farmland?  Treasure Map?
After vetoing Familiar and Swindler, Young Witch and Pirate Ship remain.  With 5/2 opening, JotaPete opens Pirate Ship/Moat, while I open Stash/Moat.  I feel like neither of us play this game very well.  I fear his Pirate Ship and overbuy moats and avoid buying Treasures, while he fears my Young Witch and acquires 5 banes (Warehouse).  To quote JotaPete, it was "a slug of a game."  I am only able to deliver 1 curse, given JotaPete's 5 Warehouses.  And he is able to successfully attack with Pirate Ship only once.  When he lands Treasure Maps on turn 17, I figure I'm done for.  Any suggestions on how this game could have been better played would be highly appreciated.

Game 4: dudeabides 76 JotaPete 71
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-192436-c8b0e7f3.html
Key Cards: Highway, Nobles, Woodcutter, Courtyard, Haven
A very close 29-turn Colony game, we rush the Highways to start, and then empty Nobles.  From there, it is mostly neck-and-neck the whole game with JotaPete settling for Provinces or Duchies while I hold out for Colonies.  When I buy the last Province, I am not 100% sure that I am ahead, but I know that I can't afford for him to get it.

Game 5: JotaPete 86 dudeabides 50
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-194028-c8e766fc.html
Key Cards: Goons, Golem, Bazaar, Border Village
In yet another Colony game, JotaPete destroys me.  He goes BM with some Goons/Golem action, while I'm trying unsuccessfully to use Golems to hit multiple Goons turns to empty piles and win on VP tokens.  It does not go well for me.  When he buys a Platinum on both turns 9 and 11, while I'm still buying Silver, I know things do not look good for me.  JotaPete schooled me on this one.  A very well played game on his end. 

Game 6: dudeabides 50 JotaPete 6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-195236-5fd224f4.html
Key Cards: Mountebank, Hunting Party, Festival, Haggler, Chapel, Nobles
When I saw the kingdom cards for this one, I was very excited--a great set for a draw engine, with a Chapel to trash and a Haggler for "free" cards.  We both open Silver/Chapel.  I am able to trash 2 Coppers and 2 Estates on turn 3 and buy a Mountebank on turn 4, while JotaPete hits $4 on turns 3 and 4 and his Chapel misses the reshuffle.  A bit of early bad luck with a set of kingdom cards like this can condemn one to a game of suffering.  JotaPete didn't hit $5 until turn 11, by which time I'd already delivered 5 Curses and 5 Coppers.  It's a shame that such a close series ended with such a lopsided game. 

In our messages setting up the time for our match, JotaPete suggested that it would take a maximum of 5 games for me to put him away given the difference in our rankings.  In fact, it took 6.  JotaPete was a much more formidable opponent than I had expected.  Watch out for him!  Thanks to him for a fun series of games.
jsh357: the dude doesn't need to explain himself

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:09 am »
+1

This was a hard-fought series, each game was very fun and intense for me. jider was a great opponent, and I'm really sorry I kept you waiting!

edit: OK, now that my round 2 match is done :P, adding in some short game summaries now...

michaeljb defeats jider 4-1

Game 1: michaeljb 51-47 jider
Treasuries+Conspirators+Cities+Possessions narrowly beats fewer Conspirators+fewere Treasuries+fewer Cities

Game 2: michaeljb 34-35 jider
Herbalist/Phil Stone goes neck-and-neck with Warehouse/Conspirator, giving jider the game by 1 point on his extra first-player turn

Game 3: michaeljb 37-26 jider
I win the Familiar Curse race 6-4, buy many Coppers and Caches, and use Apothecaries FTW. Also Wharves were there, and jider picked up some Expands.

Game 4: michaeljb 64-46 jider
Merchant Ship and Vault are fun with Silk Road. King's Court and Highway were also here, but I ignored them as there was no +Buy and no real way to take advantage of either of those cards.

Game 5: michaeljb 71-60 jider
With a few strong Action cards, lots of Golems kicks lots of ass.

I'll post details later, for now I should work on homework.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:11:38 am by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 11:53:43 am »
+3

Any suggestions on how this game could have been better played would be highly appreciated.

Thoughts on Game 3

*I have no idea if this actually will work* 

Don't fear the Pirate Ship.  In fact embrace the fact that he is trashing your coppers for you.  Invest heavily in Warehouse to prevent Curses from YW.  Use IW to gain tons and tons of TM's.  Don't cash you treasure maps in immediately.  Wait until you have a fair amount (at least 6 minimum) so that you can activate them twice (or maybe even 3 times) on the same pass through your deck.  Make sure you have an Herbalist and then proceed to piledrive the Province pile by Purchasing them and upgrading your excess TM's into Gold/Farmland => Province.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 04:20:09 pm »
+2

Beyond Awesome wins! Beyond Awesome 4 vs. Axxle 3

Game 1 Axxle wins http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-121045-da39d3f3.html
Here, I ignore Ghost Ship in the hopes of matching up Baron with estates. We both open 5/2 and Crossroads is on the board. Me ignoring Ghost Ship early on causes me to lose the game.

Game 2 Beyond Awesome wins http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-121536-89f5bbab.html
This is a close game. I win by only 1 point. I tend to do well in games that involve Haggler which seemed like the key card. There was no cad draw power but Scheme and Festival was on the board. For the most part, this played like a BMish game. I probably could have played better, but I still won.

Game 3 Axxle wins http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-122107-00b5b1a7.html
I botched this one up. I saw Highway and Worker's Village and Chapel was on the board along with Ironworks, I think that I am going to go with a Highway engine. I fail to notice Vineyards, but change my strategy after Axxle gets a potion. I probably should have stuck with my strategy and see if I could have pile drived the Provinces instead of trying to match my opponents strategy. Needlessly, to say, I botched this up.

Game 4 Beyond Awesome wins-- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-123008-6fe4eb99.html
This is a messy game. It has Duke and Sea Hag on the board. I open Steward/Trader with the plan of getting a Sea Hag on my next 4 which happens. My opponent opens Steward/Sea Hag. I notice Courtyard and use my Courtyard to top deck Trader. A lot of times, Trader matched with my opponents Sea Hag and I got a lot of silver. I also got lucky a few times and matched Trader with Sea Hag just like that. We tie the Duke split, but I have more money which enables me to get 6 Provinces.

Game 5 Beyond Awesome wins-- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-123400-9b6f99ed.html
I get my revenge this game. Vineyard is out this game, again. We both get Talisman on 4, but I buy Woodcutter. For some reason, Axxle buys Trade Route, maybe to trash coppers to get to Vineyards quicker. Anyway, I wanted the extra coin from Woodcutter. We both play well, but I end up taking the win.

Game 6 Axxle wins-- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-123936-738d3c3c.html
I go for Fools Gold with Herbalist. But, Embargo is out, and I know it is, but I also see Warehouse. So, I think to myself that Herbalist with Warehouse should be enough to counter Embargo. Nope, that is not the case. My opponents, mostly BM strategy with some actions thrown in, seems to work. It was close though. Whoever got to the last Province would have won.

Game 7-- Beyond Awesome wins-- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-124803-913fd6a6.html
By now, we are both 3-3. This game Minion is on the board. Also of note, Courtyard and Monument. I open Monument. My opponent ignores it until much later. I get some early points with Monument. That helped me a lot. In the end, it is a matter of whoever can get to the last Province. By this point, both are decks are pretty much dead, getting some good draws and bad draws. All Duchies are gone. It is down to that last Province. We go back and forth a few turns, but I end up being the one to get the lucky hand that wins the match.

All in all, it was a good game. My opponent played very well. The final game really came down to a coin flip, but that happens sometimes in Dominion.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

Game 1: Yep, Ghost Ships were key here.
Game 2: My turn 10 Haggler should have been a Duchy here.
Game 3: Vineyards <3
Game 4: "use my Courtyard to top deck Trader" Darn!  I thought your Trader was being stupidly lucky!  Great counter there.  (and we tied the duchy split, not the duke split, heh)
Game 5: Yeah, hoping the very minimal trashing would let me play my potions slightly more often.  Not sure how that idea got in my head.
Game 6: I had fun this game, Developing 7 cost cards into Gold/Province is one of my favorite weird things to do.
Game 7: I won the Minion split at the expense of not getting Monument early, to my downfall.

Great series, would play again.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 04:09:25 am »
+1

Game 3 Axxle wins http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-122107-00b5b1a7.html
I botched this one up. I saw Highway and Worker's Village and Chapel was on the board along with Ironworks, I think that I am going to go with a Highway engine. I fail to notice Vineyards, but change my strategy after Axxle gets a potion. I probably should have stuck with my strategy and see if I could have pile drived the Provinces instead of trying to match my opponents strategy. Needlessly, to say, I botched this up.

Indeed, with good Chapel luck, I can piledrive Provinces in 10 turns solitaire. You totally had this one.

Geefour

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 10:44:26 am »
+6

When someone closer to the bottom 50 plays someone in the top 50, there is always a feeling of apprehension and doom with a tiny flicker of hope.  Game #1 reinforced the doom and apprehension part.  We had similar starts, but I felt it turned south for me when my Cartographer was swindled into a Duchy.  Game #2 reinstated my hope.  I was able to sustain an Alchemist chain and start buying Provinces sooner and build up enough of a lead that yaron's better deck towards the end of the game couldn't catch.  By the end of Game #3, I had a great deck with too few Provinces, a lesson I didn't learn from the game before.  Game #4 was one of those games that midway through you realize your only chance of not being buried is if your opponent's computer dies or a catastrophe halts all internet traffic.  I was feeling pretty low at this point, but Yaron tried an alternative strategy in Game #5 whereas I stuck with a simple Chapel strategy.  Perhaps being placed in the Chapel division gave me an edge, but once again the Chapel strategy proved the best - although we both agreed it would be an interesting one to run on the simulators.  Game #6 was full of attack cards.  I decided early on to try for Duke/Duchy and purchase just a few attacks.  Duke/Duchy prevailed.  Would I learn that lesson?  On to Game #7 with my flicker of hope now swelling into full blown hope of an upset.  I went for Barons / Tactician and snatched up all the Provinces.  I did two double Province buys with enough $ on the final turn for a third had another one been available.  As I made my final purchase I saw that...Duke/Duchy prevailed.  I had a blast though, and thanks to all who are working to make this possible.  It's a great game and forum.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »
+2

Round 1: soulnet 4 vs Masticore 2

We played veto with identical starting hands and point tracker extension available. We played mostly mirror or almost mirror matches, without any great engine going on (maybe with the exception of game 5).  Even though we both got some advantages at some games, none of them felt decided until fully finished. Several were really close and we both play suboptimally (maybe not in the BM games, but in all others).

Masticore confesed that he dropped several levels lately, and for this games, I feel we probably are of a similar skill on Dominion. He was open to chat and discuss games a little bit (although I fell bad for being more critical on his game than he was on mine, even after I invited him to criticize). Most importantly, was really fun to play more seriously!

Game 1: Masticore 36 - soulnet 31 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-080922-7a1a2e74.html

cards in supply: Apprentice, Cellar, Explorer, Herbalist, Oasis, Sea Hag, Tactician, Tribute, Tunnel, and Watchtower

We both open SH / WT, and go heavy on playing the SH, with some Oasis for cycling and trying to get more of our WTs. He hit me hard an early, making me miss my SH for a whole reshuffle, while I got his WTs a couple of more times. After that, I try switching to Oasis/Cellar/Tunnel to overcome the point deficit and hopefully build enough economy, and he gets an Apprentice that accelerates his endgame (in retrospect, I think he getting a Tactician would have let me hopeless, because with a Prov every other turn I would never been able to catch up, with all the curses and tunnels in my deck). In any case, the plan with the tunnels worked and let me behind but within <6 point range with just one province to go, but his deck was much more likely to get it and that's what eventually happened.

0 - 1

Game 2: soulnet ?? - Masticore ?? Missing log (we were both collecting them and we both forgot).

Province game. Key cards where Monument, Throne Room and Fishing Village. I went for a simple. Big Money + Monument, with some extra support I don't remember. He tried an engine to play more monuments (bought 3 to my one) and TRs and FVs, but also relied on treasure for money (less than me, of course). He got a substantial VP chip lead really quick, a little over the 6 barrier but not getting close to 12. I got way more money (4 more golds or so) and his deck stalled after the first couple green cards, to let me get to just 1 province left with more than 6 points ahead, which made the endgame much more confortable for me. After duchy dancing a little bit, his deck was definitely stalled and mine was also too green, but having more golds gave me more variance which eventually let me buy the last province for the win.

1 - 1

Game 3: soulnet 55 - Masticore 42 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-082823-ba78d7ae.html
cards in supply: Border Village, Embargo, Fairgrounds, Haggler, Haven, Library, Mandarin, Mint, Mountebank, and Treasure Map
Another junky game, especially after we both open Haven/Mountebank. He got a lucky start after I  bottomdecked my Mountebank and got no 5 in turns 3 or 4. With a curse and copper into my deck and two Mountebanks in his to my one, I thought it was going to be hard. I picked up a Mountebank and a Bordervillage+Mountebank to try to catch up, and with a little luck with curse-discarding deffense we end up tying the curse split. When curses are out I have been spenting my buys on building economy mostle, getting Silver and Gold with the hope that Haven and Mandarin will let me wiggle my way to Province despite the overfull of junk deck. He picks up several more different cards, trying to get Fairgrounds to 6 VP, which shows to be an impossible task. In the end, we both have 4 VP fairgrounds but I'm also in better position to get them and we split them. Since I was already greening and rushing the fairgrounds he does not have a chance to pick up the more different card he needs to make them 6 VP and has to contest me for them, but my better economy let me split them while also getting Provinces more often. I think I won this one just for sticking to a single strategy while he jumped around a little bit.

2 - 1

Game 4: Masticore: 69 - soulnet: 48 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-085224-62597bb1.html

cards in supply: Adventurer, Colony, Counting House, Crossroads, Develop, Hoard, King's Court, Mandarin, Masquerade, Native Village, Platinum, and Royal Seal

Even though the score does not show it, this was a close match up until the last couple of shuffles. We both go BM+Masq. After not seeing mine on T3, I decided I'll get a second Masq early (gambling a little bit) and it pays off because they do not collide much. This gave me a little advantage, but I play a HORRIBLE endgame, after thinking I am going to lose due to first player advantage and getting a bad draw with Masq (3xGold, Prov, 2xColonies) I pass a Province to avoid him getting the last Colony and end up with an impossible to catch up disadvantage in points. I should have passed a Gold, which was dangerous, but probably less than this stupid manouver. Anyway, at least it was not just luck what decided the game.

2 - 2

Game 5: soulnet: 34 - Masticore: 33 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-091304-03a110f8.html

cards in supply: Cache, Cellar, Farming Village, Festival, Potion, Smithy, Spice Merchant, Talisman, Trade Route, Transmute, and Witch

This was by far the most interesting board. He is less lucky with the shuffles and also makes a game-losing mistake in T4 drawing with spice Merchant instead of getting the cash to get to $5 and get the witch. I, on the other hand, am able to get Witch and Silver while cycling with the SM. After this we both get 2 witches but I win the curse split 6-4 and also build a small economy with a partial engine of Farming Village, Festival and Smithy (FV being great to cycle some green and curses). I rushed too early into greening instead of building more of my engine, not getting a single cellar or Trade Route until really late. He builds better while I get a big point lead, but he almost was able to catch up in time, being $1 short on a big turn to win the game. He finishes the game to his demise due to forgetting to count a trashed estate (ohterwise, we would have snatched a tie). He confessed he got a couple of lucky draws in his final two turns, but it would have been an epic come back if he pulled it off. Should I have been more careful as to build a better engine before greening, he probably would not have had a chance after the much better start I had.

3 - 2

Game 6: soulnet: 39 - Masticore: 23 http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-092904-0ae891c1.html

cards in supply: Ambassador, Bureaucrat, Golem, Jester, Moat, Potion, Scout, Silk Road, Throne Room, Venture, and Woodcutter

We both go double Ambassador + BM + Ventures to take advantage of copper pseudotrashing. I considered Silk Road rush to counter, but felt it was not going to be fast enough and it would stall too early against Ambassador, even if getting SRs to 5 VP was possible.

I have WAY more luck, never colliding my Ambassadors while he gets lots. After this, he is never able to recover, because Ambassador luck both makes my deck better and his worse, so it kind of doubles the difference of luck with other also powerful cards. I have several golds and a couple of Ventures with few coppers, so I start greening without stalling. He tries duchy dancing with 1 province to go, but I have a strong economy so I keep buying Provinces without trouble until the end.

4 - 2

Thanks Masticore for the games! And thanks the organizers for putting this up, its my first tournament ever (including IRL play) and its proven to be much more fun than casual play on Iso.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:26:38 pm by soulnet »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 04:26:43 pm »
+3

Robz888 defeats Oberown 4-1.

I was impressed by my opponent, who made no major tactical mistakes until the last game. I thought he played well beyond his level 8 status. I intended to record all the games, but due to the time difference (he is in France), I couldn't play from home, and the recording was slowing down the Internet too much at the very end of the second game. So only the first two games were recorded, unfortunately.

Game 1: Robz888 39 -- 24 Oberown
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-110239-c01400d9.html
Youtube video:

I'm not actually all that happy with my play here; I'm quite confident a superior engine builder would have done something more exciting. We have King's Court and Bridge, plus Farming Village and Oracle, Peddlers, Spice Merchant and Loan and Haven. Where to begin? We both choose SM/Silver, but I'm not at all sure that's the right move. I really don't know at what rate you want to prioritize trashing Coppers, cycling, money for KCs, or buys for soaking up Peddlers. Or do you just say screw it and head straight into KC-Bridge? If anything, I think my opponent may have played slightly better than me (while doing mostly the same thing), but I took a bit of a risk on the second last turn and won, largely on luck and going first. Not a very triumphant start for me.

Game 2: Oberown 24 - 36 Robz888
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-111730-d06efeea.html
Youtube video:

This turned into something of a slaughter; I did outplay him by building a better engine. Native Village with Watchtower, Council Room, and Nobles was unsurprisingly strong. I grabbed a Trading Post before my Council Room, which worked out nicely. The Trading Post was sort of a mega-defense against Swindler, because not only did I easily crush Coppers and Curses, but the only $3s were Shanty Town, Watchtower, Swindler, and Silver... so if he hit those, I was happy to get any of them, basically. My own Swindlers did far more damage to him, and I was never really in trouble here. He definitely bought too many Council Rooms (he needed Duchies eventually), and I started Swindling them into TPs by the end. The game is over seconds after the video ends, sorry for that.

Game 3: Oberown 52 - 40 Robz888
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-113154-2bfaff74.html

This is kind of a weak Colony board. Alchemist is a no brainer. He smartly doubles up on Potions, something I am always loathe to do just for Alchemist. I had ostentatious plans for King's Court and Forge, planning to use that as a pseudo buy to drastically upgrade my deck. Unfortunately, I just don't have the right combination of Cards with certain costs. After trying for like 2 minutes to think through whether I have the right stuff to Forge a Colony into a Colony twice, and then other stuff into the last Colony to win, I realize I can't. His deck sputters, but mine sputters harder. You'll note that I Forged away my Potion, which I think would have been fine except I did miscount what I was getting (wanted a KC, got a Province, great), and then after Greening more than I expected, was in terrible shape. So well played for him.

Game 4: Robz888 55 - 48 Oberown
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-114514-1838ec93.html

I wish I had recorded this game; it was definitely the most fun. Tactician, Festival, Bishop, Tunnel, Crossroads, and Cellar were the key Cards. Obviously, there's a lot you can do with that. Mass gaining of Gold with Tunnel/Cellar + mass draw with Crossroads + trashing of Gold for points = the plan. He is smart enough to head down mostly the same route; unfortunately for him, I think he's just a few too many steps behind. He smartly picks up a second Bishop before I do, but the big deciding factor is that I have two Tacticians before he does, and also I am the first to recognize the power Crossroads will have here (we each have a bajillion Tunnels). I have a shockingly bad turn where my 10 card Tactician hand has all my Tunnels but no Crossroads or Cellars, and that worries me a little. Luckily, I rebound just fine, having one turn where I gain like 7 Gold or something. I safely buy the penultimate Province, and although his next turn is really good, there just isn't enough left for him.

Game 5: Oberown 19 - 76 Robz888
Log: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-115901-6d868d5e.html

Our third game with King's Court, which is NOT my favorite card. Fortunately for me, my opponent commits his first and only mega mistake, opening Baron/Silver instead of Sea Hag/Silver. It might be possible to not go Sea Hag here (I kind of doubt it, but you could try), but in that case you absolutely need to open Trader. I think maybe he wanted to spike an early King's Court, but even if he had succeeded, I still think that wouldn't have been worth delaying your Sea Hag purchase. In any case, he takes a Gold on his first Baron hand, rather than Upgrade, which has to be a bad call. He comes around on the Sea Hags and Upgrades, but by then my deck is practically singing. I am doing Upgrades, Menageries, Peddlers, King's Courts, Merchant Ships. No extra buys means I can only grab 1 Colony a turn, but there's nothing to slow me down, so I get 7 of them in a row at least.

Thanks for the fun match, Oberown!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 05:51:53 pm »
+2

I just played my first match of the tournament against mstevens, winning it 4-2

1-0 2-0 2-1 2-2 3-2 4-2

To be honest I wasn't playing at my best, but nevertheless it's real nice from him that he managed to win two games. I can't find him on the leaderboard but I suppose there are quite a few levels between us. Both of his wins involved him going for money/points, while I tried to build an engine and failed. Game 3 involved quite some bad luck on my side but on game four he just played a lot better then I did. Hope to play better again next time.

— Your turn 17 —
You play a Margrave.
... You draw 3 Scrying Pools and get +1 buy.

gotta love it.
Join the Dominion League!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 06:06:35 pm »
+2

Both of his wins involved him going for money/points, while I tried to build an engine and failed.

Gotta love this.... Sorry couldn't resist.

axlemn

• Salvager
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »

axlemn 4-0 bureaucrat

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-142237-44724edd.html
Your typical curse-war that starts with Familiars. I pick up Salvager on T4, he doesn't until T18.  He builds a reasonable draw-engine too, but when the curse pile clears, I've trashed 5 cards and gotten 2 Scrying Pools.   

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-143305-2c4b7c1e.html
I should have lost this one.  I'd guess he was thrown off by game 1.  He misses a victory by going for Provinces instead of ending the game on Goons like I did the turn after.  Most important cards: Golem, KC, Goons, Scheme.  I had no Scheme at the end.   

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-144208-4f293532.html
Very close game.  Fishing Village, Library, Horse Traders, Masquerade.  Go for a Masquerade or not?  Hoard or two Tunnels?  I go for a Masquerade, which gave me a better-lasting engine.  Then I choose Hoard and just barely keep a lead.  It turns out that Library can cycle VERY powerfully with Fishing Village and Horse Traders, enough to make 2 Tunnels the better choice because of the 4 VP. 

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-145342-a2b35cfe.html
A Colony game with Steward, City, Hamlet, Jester, and Lighthouse.  He went for 2 Plats and a Gold, while I grab an Expands and 2 Jesters.  I was down in the early / midgame from a silly Double Steward opening which wouldn't have been relevant because of the City game. 

Favorite cards: Wharf, Wishing Well, Cartographer, Counting House. 
Least favorite cards: Swindler, Jester, Ghost Ship, Black Market, Fortune Teller

DukeJozza

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 06:42:19 pm »
+1

Results for DukeJozza v Slyfox

Slyfox wins 4-3-1

Close series with a good last game to finish...

Logs:

Game 1: Duke J wins 45-41 key cards: Expand, Haggler, Golem?
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-134055-3f458092.html

Game 2: Slyfox wins 47-24 key cards: Warehouse, Tunnel (not KC!)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-134834-10179e56.html

Game 3: Duke J wins 32-22 key cards: Merchant Ship, Masq
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-135609-5e33934b.html

Game 4: Slyfox wins 17-11 key cards: IGG, feast
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-140316-5cceb67c.html

Game 5: Slyfox wins 63-54 key cards: Hparty, MBank, Silk Roads...
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-141959-d8a3d553.html

Game 6: Tie 28 each, key cards: Chapel, Treasury, Bridge
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-143443-f11614a8.html

Game 7: Duke J wins 22-19 key cards: IWorks, GH's, Embargo
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-144539-66df1fda.html

Game 8: Slyfox wins 8-3 key cards: Salvager, Apprentice, GMarket
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-150554-b3d3879f.html

Analysis may follow, thanks to Sly for pleasant games and strategy discussion.

DukeJozza

Slyfox

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 07:46:14 pm »
+1

Slyfox defeats DukeJozza 4-3-1:

Game #1: DukeJozza 45, Slyfox 41 --- 23 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-134055-3f458092.html
Key cards: Tunnel, Golem, Haggler, Expand (no +actions, +cards, or even cantrips)
I went for Tunnel+Golem, but it didn't work (only gained one gold this way the whole game) because I got nervous and bought more than one action when I should just purchased one.  DukeJozza buys hagglers, easily wins the big money race, and ends the game by expanding a Province into another Province.

0-1

Game #2: Slyfox 47, DukeJozza 24 --- 16 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-134834-10179e56.html
Key cards: Tunnel/Warehouse, Smithy/Farming Village, Trading Post (and no +buy cards)
I went for the Tunnel/Warehouse combination, whereas DukeJozza went for a Smithy/Farming Village engine.  With identical 5/2 openings, we both open with a Trading Post.  I then purchased a tunnel and three warehouses, and then play big money.  DukeJozza purchased a King's Court on turn 7, but without any +buys he is too far behind to catch up.

1-1

Game #3: DukeJozza 32, Slyfox 22 --- 15 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-135609-5e33934b.html
Key cards: Merchant Ship, Masquerade (no +actions)
In another 5/2 opening, we both open Merchant Ship and then proceed to play big money with some trashing from Masquerade and a second merchant ship.  On turn 14 DukeJozza buys the penultimate province to take a 7 point lead.  I draw $8 the next hand, but can't buy out the last province, which he does the next turn.

1-2

Game #4: Slyfox 17, DukeJozza 11 --- 30 turns (on Duchies, Lighthouse, and Curses gone)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-140316-5cceb67c.html
Key cards: IGG, Feast, Sea Hag, Lighthouse
Even with Sea Hag on the board, I opt for an IGG rush because: feast is a good IGG accelerator and lighthouse can help fend off the curses.  DukeJozza opens Sea Hag.  The IGG strategy basically works for me, and I only receive two curses from the Sea Hag.  After the curses are out, we rush for Duchies, but I'm able to buy out the Lighthouse pile while retaining a small lead.

2-2

Game #5: Slyfox 63, DukeJozza 54 --- 26 turns (on Duchies, Silk Roads, and Hunting Parties)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-141959-d8a3d553.html
Key cards: Mountbank, Lighthouse, Hunting Party, Bishop (no +actions)
With no +actions, we both go for Hunting Party with Mountbank terminal.  With lighthouse in play, only four curses are given out, but I'm able to win the Hunting Party split 6/4 and win the curses 1/3.   Neither of us takes the lead, so with two provinces left we start the Duchy dance.  DukeJozza's Bishop narrows the lead until I pull away by purchasing Silk Roads, which I pile out to end the game.

3-2

Game #6: Tie at 28 points --- 14 turns
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-143443-f11614a8.html
Key cards: Chapel, Treasury, Bridge (but no +actions or +cards)
We both go for Chapel with treasuries into big money with a single bridge terminal.  We both pair down our decks, split the treasuries 5/5, and it ends with a tie.

3-2-1

Game #7: DukeJozza 22, Slyfox 19 --- 14 turns (on Great Halls, Ironworks, and Estates)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-144539-66df1fda.html
Key cards: Ironworks/Great Halls, Fool's Gold, IGG, Embargo, Tactician
Looks like a IGG rush might work, but I notice Embargo can stop it.  DukeJozza starts what looks like an IGG rush, but I embargo IGG.  I go for Ironworks/Great Hall, but then I realize that great halls aren't worth enough victory points to have a big enough lead to comfortably pile out.  I then decide to try Ironworks/Fool's Gold, but my deck keeps giving me $4 each hand.  DukeJozza buys a Tactician which he only playes once but it gives him the Province he needs take the lead.  Game ends on Estates emptying.  In retrospect, a single Ironworks + Fool's gold strategy would have been much smarter, especially with Tactician.

3-3-1, so the 8th game decides the series:

Game #8: Slyfox 8, DukeJozza 3 --- 15 turns (on Grand Markets, Border Villages, and Apprentices)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-150554-b3d3879f.html
Key cards: Outpost/Haven/Apprentice, Grand Market, Border Village
We both open Salvager/silver and pick up an Apprentice on turn 3.  We both thin our decks, purchase grand markets, but I win Grand Market split 6/4.  Piles are running low, so I plan to purchase an outpost, but DukeJozza purchases one a turn before I purchase one.  Fortunately for me, his outpost hand is a bust.  I then use Apprentice to draw most of my deck, use Haven to save an Apprentice to enable a meta Outpost turn.  These two megaturns back-to-back let me empty three piles and pick up a few green cards for the win.

All in all, we had some strange boards, with the final game being the only one with any sort of strong engine strategy. 

Thanks to DukeJozza for a close match, and I want to echo the thanks to the organizers for putting this together.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 11:56:09 pm »
+2

(11) dondon151 wins the set against (54) CPFB, 4-0

Set rules: PCE on, dondon151 gets first player in game 1 (higher location in bracket).
We agreed to veto mode and identical starting hands but I forgot to check it for all of the games, but neither of us realized this until game 3. So all of the games have no veto mode and no identical starting hands.

Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-193103-92026d98.html
Adventurer, Bridge, Caravan, Great Hall, Island, Market, Navigator, Nomad Camp, Oasis, and Pearl Diver

dondon151 37 - 29 CPFB

Boring BM with good buys at the $4 and $5 price points. I open Island/Silver to CPFB's Caravan/Silver, aiming to get an Estate out of my deck, which I do. I then pretty much autopilot the rest of the game. CPFB had a chance to end it on turn 15 with his win, as I could not match his Duchy buy on the previous turn, having to settle for an Island instead, but he draws $7 and I grab the last Province immediately afterwards. Provinces split 5-3 in my favor, but this was a really close game.

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-194819-a73cf4f3.html
Conspirator, Harvest, Highway, Mandarin, Market, Secret Chamber, Tournament, Trading Post, Village♦, Wishing Well, and Young Witch

dondon151 41 - 31 CPFB

I open YW/Silver to CPFB's Trading Post/SC. I would have preferred to open Trading Post here because there are a lot of good cantrips that work well with Conspirator, and there was the faint possibility of a Highway-Market engine if neither player went for the YW. I try to trim down with TP, grabbing a second one after CPFB grabs a second one, and somehow I manage to get the slightly slimmer deck. My Villages end up blocking his YWs rather reliably, and after a prolonged endgame where we both started claiming Duchies with Tournaments before any other Prizes, I come out on top. Also a close one.

Game 3: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-200956-0eec2266.html
Chancellor, Colony, Explorer, Loan, Native Village, Nobles, Platinum, Potion, Torturer, Trade Route, Vineyard, Walled Village, and Woodcutter

dondon151 32 - 20 CPFB

I have to say for sure that this was CPFB's worst game of the night, but I was extremely satisfied with my level of play here. I resign myself to a loss after CPFB opens 5/2 on a Torturer board to my 4/3, and I know that competing outright for Torturers and WVs would cement my opening disadvantage, so instead I open with a Trade Route to try to improve the quality of my deck.

I soon am getting pummeled by Torturers and don't get my first one until turn 9, but the few Curses that were coming in were getting trashed by Trade Route. Eventually I'm able to get my own draw engine going while CPFB makes a couple of fatal mistakes: on turn 10 he buys a Platinum after drawing his entire deck where he probably should have picked up a Trade Route instead (a la Herbalist for $11, this would have been Trade Route for $9). This prevents him from trimming his deck down far enough to fire his engine consistently and also kind of wastes his Platinum by not giving him the requisite +buy to build his engine further. On turn 14 he draws a large amount of cash and picks up a Colony while I am still scrambling to build my own engine.

I consolidate my engine by picking up lots of Nobles, and my Torturers end up stalling my opponent's engine. I roar to a VP lead and end the game on piles.

Game 4: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/06/game-20121206-202654-6d27e0a3.html
Bank, Bridge, Cellar, Farmland, Haven, Mountebank, Quarry, Steward, Swindler, and Wishing Well

dondon151 46 - 31 CPFB

5/2 on a Mountebank board, and that's all she wrote. CPFB realizes that his opening Quarry was not a good idea. Knowing that he was at a disadvantage with the opening, he probably should have opened Steward/Swindler or Swindler/Swindler instead.

Good games all around; CPFB was a good sport and we had good post-game chats. If he decides to enter the loser's bracket, best of luck to him.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:59:23 pm by dondon151 »

Chuckleslovakian

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 02:00:52 am »

CPFB is badass. Was hoping he would get one from you, but alas :).

DukeJozza

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 05:34:04 am »
+3

Ok, some learning points from my game with Sly.

Firstly we had some pretty lame sets early on  :(. No colony board which was slightly odd  ???...anyway

Game 1 (DukeJ won)
I went to get Golem but only hit 4$ potion on turn 17 by which point I shouldn't have bothered. Not getting the Golem was a blessing in disguise as I would have detoured for Tunnels like Sly did. Instead I managed to get Hagglers in play and gain golds whilst buying Expands. The Expands made the difference as Sly mentions in his report.

Game 2 (Sly won)
I played like an idiot - my worst game. I saw the Warehouse / Tunnel combo but for some unknown reason thought 'I must get a Kings Court'. Without the +buy this was suicide and I realised it straight after. The smithy was also a mistake...pretty much all I did was a mistake!

Game 3 (DukeJ Won)
Not much to say about this one. BM + MShip and Masq. My 4 Gold to his 2 probably made the difference.

Game 4 (Sly Won)
So I guess IGG beats Sea Hag! I missed the fact that Lighthouse doesn't defend against IGG...lack of experience showed here. I am used to traditional IGG rushes so don't know why I didn't just stick to that...

Game 5 (Sly Won)
Bit of a mirror match with Hunting Party + MBank. His Lighthouses blocked a few MBanks but I am not sure this was significant. I hit 8$ early and think maybe I should have bough HParty instead of Province. When I fall behind I transition over to Bishop which nearly saves me but he keeps the lead and finishes on piles.

Game 6 (Tied)
Chapel and Treasury - very similar decks....nothing of interest to say

Game 7 (DukeJ Wins)
Interesting one. I decide to go IGG and get out some early curses before the Embargo comes in to play. He gets more Ironworks / GHalls than me, but I get enough to do some damage in the late game. The tactician gives me the lead so I decide to Embargo the FGold's to hurt his economy building and to help me control the pile ending's. I think I played this quite well especially the timing of the Inn to get my Ironworks back in my deck. These Ironworks help me pile out for the win.

Game 8 (Sly Wins)
Good game. My main dilemmas during this game were how many apprentices or salvager's to get, when to trash apprentice with Salvager and when to use apprentice to draw in the late game. The 6/4 GM split was big but also my Outpost hand was miserable. I think I shouldn't have trashed my apprentice late on as it stalled my deck. Probably less salvager's and more apprentices for draw would have been better. Many things to learn from this one...I would love to play it again.

Thanks again to Sly and good luck against the US Champ!

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 01:36:14 pm »
+1

Cuzz defeats Xeiron 4-2

Game 1: Cuzz wins 49--31

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-091212-800bde03.html

Ambassador/Witch board with engine potential but no +Buy. Question of whether to open double Amb or Amb/Potion to pick up Apothecaries and maintain early economy, then later Scrying Pools to draw deck and play Amb/Witch more often. Xeiron goes for the former, and I decide to go for the latter, which looks like the wrong decision for a bit when I get some really bad draws and am unable to buy anything on 3 of my first 7 turns. Xeiron goes for some Hoards and early Duchy buys for lots of Gold, which I skip and keep buying scrying pools, walled villages and even Duchesses for +$2. I manage to get 9 curses back to my opponent and pull of the win.

Game 2: Cuzz wins 40--26

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-092314-aa6c867a.html

In which both of us fail to consider how useless Scheme is in a Minion game until embarrassingly late. I realize I built a terrible Minion deck with too much extra stuff and frantically just turn to buying money toward the end, ending up with just enough to hit $8 a few more times than my opponent.

Game 3: Xeiron wins (-5)--2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-092926-c3234323.html

I go for Torturer chains, Xeiron goes for IGG, getting them especially quickly with remodel. My opponent smuggles a few Torturers himself and IGGs win in a 3 pile ending.

Game 4: Xeiron wins 30--38

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-094226-c03dd30d.html

Another Minion-based game with Masq. We go for similar strategies, but Xeiron picks up quite a few Native Villages for some bigger turns, and more money, whereas I was trying to generate money solely with the Minions in a thin deck. Very close at the end but I basically choke on green.

Game 5: Cuzz wins 39--25

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-095216-abb99ef6.html

Man I hate Ghost Ship. We both open FV/HT, grab a Mountebank and drain the FV's, but he goes straight for Ghost Ships, while I pick up two more Mountebanks and only later grab GH for the weak draw as much as the attack. Scheme helps me topdeck Horse Traders with all the attacks flying around. The Mountebank edge I think really gave me it here.

Game 6: Cuzz wins 10--(-3)

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/07/game-20121207-100051-f1cf310f.html

A ridiiiiiiiiiiiiculous board. Honestly, look at it. We both open potion/chapel, and then grab a bridge. Xeiron gets a quick familiar, while I hit $2P twice but fortunately they're not wasted with SP on the board. SPs help me draw my deck with lots of very cheap actions thanks to bridges. I'm then able to trash all of the curses quickly and I pile out Hamlets with a single Colony buy on my last turn to 3-pile.

Thanks to Xeiron for a very close and interesting match! Now on to the next round. Does anyone know anything about this jonts guy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.