Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Gardens Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 76985 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Gardens Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2013, 02:52:29 pm »

I've been playing pretty poorly lately.  I think I'm coming down with a severe case of FPS (Fancy Play Syndrome)

In game one  was hoping to get some Provinces with Gold and trash my extra Sea Hag with Bishop.  Dunno why I'd do that with Gardens present.

Game two I didn't think that Horn would work.  I never considered doing a mini horn and just trash a few for Provinces.  Ed got a lead that I couldn't overcome due to that.

Game 3 I think I played particularly well.  Trader is just so good for amassing lots off medium quality cards.

Game 4 I threw away a lead.  I won the Curse split but decided that I could make an engine.  If I had just went for Duchy/Duke I would have won.

Game 5 was just no chance for ed.  RNG gave me lots of Familiars and him none.  You can't come back from something like that.

Game 6 I errored with Nobles.  I thought I could use them to make an engine but things never came together for me.  Ed picked up a Province and Followers and I just never caught up.

Congrats to ed.  And as I told him at the end of the series.  Last year I was eliminated by the eventual tourney champion.  So I am now expecting nothing less of a championship performance from ed.  ;)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 03, 2013, 03:01:54 pm »
+2

Game 5: More Familiars. This time with Chapel. I learned my lesson the other day ignoring cursers on a chapel board so we both open Potion/Chapel. Only I can't get a Familiar to save my life. After I lose the curse war 10-0, I figure my only shot is latting him pile drive provinces while I extend the game going for Fairgrounds. But it's a fool's quest. The game ended a lot earlier than the turns indicate.
SB wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-184413-27d3deb6.html

Is Potion/Chapel the right opening? Neither of you get Familiar with your first Potion draw, and would have been better of with Silver/Chapel. shark_bait came out okay since he was able to buy Silver on turn 4 while ed could not. shark_bait's draws made it equivalent to opening Silver/Chapel then buying Potion on turn 4. Potion/Chapel is a big risk, and I don't think the potential benefit outweighs the risk. You can get in one earlier Curse that's going to get Chapeled anyway, but you risk being stuck forever on Pearl Divers.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 03, 2013, 03:06:07 pm »

Game 5: More Familiars. This time with Chapel. I learned my lesson the other day ignoring cursers on a chapel board so we both open Potion/Chapel. Only I can't get a Familiar to save my life. After I lose the curse war 10-0, I figure my only shot is latting him pile drive provinces while I extend the game going for Fairgrounds. But it's a fool's quest. The game ended a lot earlier than the turns indicate.
SB wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-184413-27d3deb6.html

Is Potion/Chapel the right opening? Neither of you get Familiar with your first Potion draw, and would have been better of with Silver/Chapel. shark_bait came out okay since he was able to buy Silver on turn 4 while ed could not. shark_bait's draws made it equivalent to opening Silver/Chapel then buying Potion on turn 4. Potion/Chapel is a big risk, and I don't think the potential benefit outweighs the risk. You can get in one earlier Curse that's going to get Chapeled anyway, but you risk being stuck forever on Pearl Divers.

Completely agree. Lesson learned. The hard way.

Ed

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:11 pm »
+3

Scryordie(50) and ednever played ahead to the next round.
Result: ednever over 50, 4-2
Games below:

Game one: ednever
Key cards: Goons, Throne Room, Lab, Wishing Well, Gardens
Really close game with both players hitting !details almost every turn. I utilized most of my buys every turn, loading up on Wishing Wells and Throne Rooms. 50 went a little heavier into Goons and Labs, then transitioned into Gardens. It was very very tight - to the point where we both seemed to take turns running down piles. Then I got one mega-mega turn at the end and finished it off. But I was sweating!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-171635-18512e3f.html

Game 2: 50
Key Cards: Embargo, Hoard, Stables, Monument, Mandarin
A Big Money match made interesting with Embargo. 50 just plays it better. Mandarin opening worked for him I think with the ability to smooth $s.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-172239-f45d9d85.html

Game 3: ednever
Key Cards: Young Witch (Workshop Bane), Wishing Well, Alchemist, Fool's Gold, Upgrade
50 ignored YW way too long (maybe the psychological effect of me opening with the Bane card. I took advantage and used workshop to load up on Wishing Wells so I could use the Alchemists to draw my deck and always have a potion in hand. Upgrade later let me load up on YWs and play them whenever he didn't have a Workshop in hand.
I had won the curse war 7-0 (three in the trash) and was able to draw my deck every turn.
Then tragedy struck. I played a wishing well and triple clicked on copper. Instead of playing my treasure (and potion) and buying a Province, instead I purchased a Copper - and my alchemist stack disappeared.

Without any prompting or requests from me 50 resigned and gave me the game. A very very good sport. I still had a reasonable shot of re-building the stack and still winning the game, but if it hadn't happened I had it locked. 50 definitely wins the true spirit award!

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-173354-81ae65e2.html

Game 4: 50
Easily the most interesting game. Maybe the most interesting game I've played in a long long time.
Key Cards: Embargo, IGG, Scrying Pool, Worker's Village, Steward, Hunting Party, Navigator, Merchant Ship
50 goes for Potions, so I pick up an Embargo and Embago Pools. He picks up a few anyway and uses his Steward to trash the curses + the curses I hand him from IGG. He picks up an Embargo too and Embagos IGG stoping me from the classic rush. Then he Embargos Provinces which slows me down some more. He uses the time to build up a huge engine: 7 worker's Village, 4 Merchant Ships, 3 Stewards, a Navigator and 3 Hunting Parties.
He makes a pretty huge mistake at one point and buys a double-embargo'd Scrying Pool, but he still recovers!
It comes down to a photo finish where I have to start making choices about staying ahead with VP, or ending it on piles. I don't think I have the two turns to end it on piles - curse gone, one card remaining in HP and WV. I decide to stay ahead on VP and pick up a duchy. It's over two turns later after 50 plays it exactly right not letting me end it with provinces. He double provinces for the win.
Hell of a game and really really well played by 50.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-174927-9ffa42d9.html

(We are now tied 2-2)
Game 5: ednever
This one is my type of kingdom. I open Bishop+Silver. Then pick up Spy+Oasis. Then Menageries and Hunting Parties. Between My Bishop, his, and the Menageries I'm drawing my deck pretty fast and picking up provinces and trashing them with Bishop. I run away with this one.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-175628-e5c1385e.html

Game 6: ednever
Another really really interesting match.
Key Cards: Masquerade, Torturer, Village, Haggler, Apprentice, Pawn, Silk Road (You can tell it's interesting when there are 7 key cards)
We both open Masq-Silver and start to build Torturer chains. I pick up a Haggler first though. I think that I can handle a little bit of cursing due to the Masq, and I think the Haggler will help me pick up the Torturer-Village combo faster to over take him.
That's kind of what happens, only to the extreme. He starts walloping me with Torturer Chains. I take a lot of curses. But slowly with Masq I'm able to recover. Key turning point is when I hit him with a Torturer, he discards, then I play a Masq and get him to pass me a Torturer.
then I transition into Greening- my Haggler lets me pick up Province + Gold or Apprentice. My deck gets pretty lean as I kill all the curses and the coppers. I have to start passing Villages over to 50 a few times. But by this point I am 15 points ahead and can consistently pick up a Province every turn.

When 50 is ready to start greening he hesitates.

I chime in (trying my best to return the favor from Game 3):
18:07 ednever: I think your only hope is to pick up Pawns and get extra buys
18:07 50: Big silk road transition?
18:07 ednever: and go the Silk Roads
18:07 ednever: Yeah. It's a long shot but I don't think you can do it with Provinces
18:07 50: Yeah

So he does. I start taking down the Provinces one by one. When there is one province left and I am ahead by about 17 points, 50 finishes his turn and does a calculation: He can get to within 3 points on me and end the game. A hell of a come back.
He picks up Duchies instead and I kill a Province with my Apprentice to end it.

Crazy game: From Masq to P1 Torturer engine to recovery and P2 Torturer engine to Apprentice fueled single province turns vs. multi-buy Silk Roads "rush". Not many games have the number of transitions seen here. Great way to end the series.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/04/game-20130104-181811-ebf5a72f.html

Thanks 50. It was a real pleasure.

Ed

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6118
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #154 on: January 07, 2013, 12:29:42 pm »
+3

Drab Emordnilap concedes to easwaran.

This tournament has been a true model of sportsmanship, I have to say.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2013, 05:23:49 pm »

Game 1: Baron, Embassy, Gardens, Haggler, Mine, Oracle, Pawn, Throne Room, Warehouse, and Wishing Well  Both open wharehouse/baron into a garden rush game.  I fit in an early Haggler while still managing to get 4 Gardens.  My plan wasn't even to Gardens that early, but he spooked me with the threat of the early rush so I contested them early and captured 4.  I built a sloppy throne room engine that managed to connect a couple times which was enough for the win.

Game 2: Caravan, Chapel, Colony, Expand, Feast, Fortune Teller, Hamlet, Jack of All Trades, Moat, Platinum, Silk Road, and Talisman  My Talisman/Chapel against his Jack/Chapel.  I drew well early, getting double caravan turn 3 and a solid chapel turn 4 whereas his chapel got caught up and didnt get played until turn 6.  I think I was sloppy midgame.  I had to leave a bunch of copper in my deck, eventually went into double expand, with a midgame jack of all trades for drawing and silvers to expand.  Probably could've played it smoother but I think the clean turn 3/4 was enough to win it regardless.

Game 3: Ambassador, Fairgrounds, Festival, Inn, Moat, Noble Brigand, Talisman, Torturer, Vault, and Watchtower  My Festival/Moat against his Vault/Moat.  I dont like vault here, maybe it's worthwhile mid game.  I wanted a clean festival/watchtower engine that tried to sneak an ambassador by here and there.  I had some timely ambassador hits and his ambassador was late to the party.  He never picked up watchtower so I figured there was an opening for torturer.  By late game I was rolling.

Game 4: Apprentice, Bazaar, Counting House, Haven, Inn, King's Court, Potion, Scheme, Sea Hag, Silk Road, and Vineyard  His Scheme/Sea Hag beats my Silver/Sea Hag.  His Sea hag was devastating but I will give him credit, he read the board better than I did.  I bought the silver hoping for an early apprentice which never materialized.  Meanwhile his opening scheme won curses 7-3 and he was shooting for counting house from the start, which was strong. 

Game 5: Black Market, Bridge, City, Embargo, Haggler, Mandarin, Nomad Camp, Pawn, Potion, Secret Chamber, and Vineyard My Silver/Black Market against his Nomad Camp/Bridge.  Everyone knows I am a sucker for Black Market.  I see enough interesting cards in this one that I cant resist.  He hammers Cities early and wins the split 6/4.  I should've gotten a 2nd Potion early but in the end my early start on Vineyards proved to be enough.  Though it was closer than the score implies. 

Obi wins 4-1
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.