Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Author Topic: Gardens Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 78245 times)

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Gardens Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2012, 04:49:51 pm »
+2

I don't know what you guys are so worked up about. In the end, it doesn't really matter who wins, because I'm in this bracket.  8)

I applaud you sir!  I think this post made my F.DS day  :)

*claps*
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #126 on: December 20, 2012, 05:29:10 pm »

^^^ (psst: it's okay, Drab -- he's a little nervous right now.  being all wound up like that is bound to make him a little lightheaded.)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 20, 2012, 08:33:18 pm »
+2

^^^ (psst: it's okay, Drab -- he's a little nervous right now.  being all wound up like that is bound to make him a little lightheaded.)

When are you two playing each other?
I feel like it should be a spectator event at this point!

Ed

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #128 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:22 pm »

When are you two playing each other?
I feel like it should be a spectator event at this point!

Ed

Late tomorrow or on the weekend.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2012, 07:46:37 am »
+2

Drab Emordnilap over Turambar, 4-2-1

We played without veto mode, with official point tracker. Turambar preferred no identical starting hands, and I ceded to him.

cards in supply: Caravan, Embargo, Golem, Ironworks, Moneylender, Potion, Salvager, Scout, Sea Hag, Trader, and Treasure Map

Different starting hands hurts Turambar off the bat, as he opens 5/2 on a board with no 5s. We both get a Sea Hag; he gets a Salvager where I get a Trader. I think Trader is awesome on slogs like these with no strong 5s, because when you draw $5 + Trader, you can get 3 Silver instead of one. He Embargoes the Golems, which means I can't buy the Embargoed card with Trader in hand.  :( I buy Silver on $4 where he buys Caravan; I think that's the big turning point here. With him with 2 Caravans in play and just having shuffled his Salvager back in, I take the draw when I can get it.

Drab Emordnilap 25 -- 25 Turambar

cards in supply: Alchemist, Coppersmith, Familiar, Fishing Village, Haven, Hoard, Potion, Silk Road, Transmute, Venture, and Witch

Another accursed slog, this time with Familiar and Witch. We both open Potion, but I hate $2P so much I open Haven to his Silver. He gets a Witch on turn 3 but $2P on turn 4. We each hit $2 a lot and end up with 5/5 Havens. I buy Alchemists and money, while Turambar gets Hoard and starts greening. I try to catch up with Silk Roads, but I don't have all my starting Estates thanks to Transmute. Down by 5 with two Provinces left, I break Penultimate Province because I can't catch up any other way. Turambar buys a 2 point Silk Road, except it's his 12th green card, and so it's 3 points +1 for his other Silk Road. I buy Duchy, he buys Silk Road, and I'm still down by 9 points. Piles are low, too; Curses and Havens are gone, and there's only one Silk Road left. With nothing left to do, I buy the last Province, to discover that that was MY 12th green card, and the extra 4 points put me ahead by a point!

Drab Emordnilap 43 -- 42 Turambar

cards in supply: Colony, Familiar, Farmland, Fortune Teller, Hoard, Hunting Party, Island, Pawn, Peddler, Platinum, Potion, Remake, and Stables

I get a 5/2 on a Hunting Party board. He gets Familiar sooner as a result, but my turn 3 Remake kills most of the Curses (and all my Estates/Coppers by the end of the game). I like Pawn a lot, and I use it a lot of ways this game, but the +buy was critical, especially for Peddler. I get to Remake peddler and Province into Platina, and I get a couple double Colony turns thanks to all the money and Hunting Parties.

Drab Emordnilap 68 -- 27 Turambar

cards in supply: Embargo, Expand, Explorer, Fairgrounds, Festival, Fishing Village, Haggler, Moneylender, Nobles, and Witch

He gets a Witch on turn 4 and a Nobles on turn 5, while I open $3/$4/$4/$4. I buy a second Moneylender to try and cycle faster, but my terminals collide too much, even with Fishing Village, and I get buried under the Curses.

Drab Emordnilap 2 -- 21 Turambar

cards in supply: Black Market, Cartographer, Chapel, Crossroads, Farming Village, Haggler, Potion, Remodel, Royal Seal, Stash, and University

I probably took two or three minutes on my first turn, trying to figure out what to do with this board. The Black Market had some terminal draw (Council Room, Rabble, Torturer) but no cursers, and no King's Court/Goons/Tournament. We both end up playing kinds of Chapel Big Money, and I feel like weaker Big Money boards are a strength of mine. Royal Seal and Haggler do good work.

Drab Emordnilap 34 -- 27 Turambar

Ambassador, Baron, Colony, Coppersmith, Expand, Familiar, King's Court, Masquerade, Menagerie, Platinum, Potion, Torturer, and Vault

Man, I knew I was in trouble looking as this kingdom; crazy King's Court stuff is not a strength of mine at all, and then I open 5/2. I have no clue what I should do here, and durdle around with King's Court until I get destroyed. If anyone has a good idea of what I should have done here, please share.

Drab Emordnilap 0 -- 38 Turambar

Ambassador, Bridge, Cartographer, Colony, Fishing Village, Hunting Party, Platinum, Salvager, Trade Route, Treasury, Vault, and Watchtower

Now this, THIS is an engine I can do. Turambar gets hit with the 5/2 again (that's 4 games where the different opening hands were significant, one way or the other), and I get Ambassador/Fishing Village/Ambassador, and clear out all my starting cards while loading up on FV and Bridges. Hunting Party and Watchtower let me draw most of my deck each turn, and I load up on engine pieces until I can 3 pile. The key here was the only village, Fishing Village; no matter what, you're going to need to win that split on this kingdom.

Drab Emordnilap 36 -- 2 Turambar

Good games to Turambar.

EDIT: Man, I have to beat Obi to get to you guys? ._.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:48:37 am by Drab Emordnilap »

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:45 am »
+1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:28:41 pm by () | (_) ^/ »

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2012, 08:44:41 am »
+1

He Embargoes the Golems, which means I can't buy the Embargoed card with Trader in hand.  :(

This I don't understand?!?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2012, 09:29:21 am »
+3

He Embargoes the Golems, which means I can't buy the Embargoed card with Trader in hand.  :(

If he Embargoed, say, Gold, then I could buy Gold with Trader in hand, and gain Silver instead of Curse. However, I didn't plan on ever buying a Potion, so I could never buy an Embargoed card for the free Silvers.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2012, 10:37:47 am »

:o

Good work Palindrome!

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2012, 11:35:22 am »

If he Embargoed, say, Gold, then I could buy Gold with Trader in hand, and gain Silver instead of Curse. However, I didn't plan on ever buying a Potion, so I could never buy an Embargoed card for the free Silvers.

Maybe it's just me not being a native speaker but your statement sounded like something prevented you from buying the embargoed card although you wanted that card (and getting the silvers as a bonus).

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2012, 11:42:12 am »

Maybe it's just me not being a native speaker but your statement sounded like something prevented you from buying the embargoed card although you wanted that card (and getting the silvers as a bonus).

Well, the something was my lack of Potions. Any other card, I could just buy when I got my Trader in hand, but Golem, I would have to buy a Potion, then hope my Potion and Trader hit each other.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2012, 12:53:09 pm »
+2

eliegel34 beats DG 4-0

It was really fun to play against DG, but unfortunately he had pretty awful shuffle luck.  Almost every match was a mirror, and I just happend to win all of them.  I'll post some more comments about them when I'm home.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-090943-cde37026.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-092046-a31d8dea.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-093545-43a117dc.html
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-094657-863734ba.html

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2012, 02:39:32 pm »
+2

Yep congratulations to Eliegel. I'm happy to let the first two games go since I did get bad draws and Eliegel did finish them off well. The third game was governors and smugglers and stuff and I don't really understand governors well enough to ruthlessly close out a close game. I'd taken a hamlet that gave me an extra buy but I could never quite harness the deck to both trash border villages and use the extra buy. For the fourth game I think my opponent made the better opening with the swindler and deserves the series.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2012, 12:22:32 am »
+11

shark_bait and I are in the middle of our set, but he's having massive internet problems.

=========================
In the first game, he and I both get scrying pools and a single possession, but he figures out that he needs to cripple his deck before I figure out that I need to cripple mine.

In the second game, University was causing a 3 pile.  But he was going SLOW, I was up by a point, and he said that I would win if he got booted.  About 45 minutes into the game, it booted him.

However, in the lobby I asked him what his hand was, since there was only 1 estate left.  His answer indicated that he would have been able to win the game with any but extremely bad luck.  I have had no reason not to trust him, so I conceded that game to him.  No fun in winning on a technicality.

So, we're currently at 2-0 and we'll try to finish the set tomorrow.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2012, 01:42:41 am »
+3

KUDOS TO PADDY FOR SHOWING TRUE SPORTSMANSHIP!

This was probably the most frustrating night of dominion ever.  I played around 6 games earlier and everything was fine and of course once I start the tourney games isotropic just dies on me.  I had to keep hitting refresh to get the game to go and of course it only lets you do this so many times before it autodisconnects you.  It didn't help in the second game that there was tons of clicking and it seemed like more clicking meant more problems.

Game 1 Comments - This one was a Chapel/Possession game with Scrying Pool.  The interesting feature was that there was no +Buy or no +Action.  So each of us could only play a single action a turn.  I trash all my non Scrying Pool/Possession cards sooner than paddy and am able to buy provinces before him as I can use his Fortune Teller to get up to $8 (he had been buying Peddlers).  I accrue a lead and by the time he trashes down, it's pretty much over.  With no +buy the only way he can win is if I get really really unlucky. 

Game 2 Comments - This was a University fueled engine with Great Hall, Cartographer, Bishop, Swindler and some other stuff.  I get a Masquerade while he doesn't.  The interesting thing is that the only $5 cost cards are Cartographer and Duchy.  So once the Cartographers emptied, playing swindler is dangerous for giving away points.  Especially in a game destined to end on piles.  I have a few more Cartographers than paddy and go through my deck a little bit more consistently.  I was able to gain Bishops with my Universities and get to them ASAP with my fast cycling.  That allowed me to make up the deficit of giving a few free Duchies.  This game finished with me DCing but paddy graciously gave me the win when I told him my hand and knowing that I only needed the last Estate and a Bishop point to win.  Now that CR's back up I'll upload the game logs and this 2nd game should show that I drew adequate buying power on my last hand to secure the win.

If you guys ever see paddy online, seriously play with this guy.  He is one of the most respectful and fun opponents I have played with.  I'm looking forward to continuing our series tomorrow (technically this) morning with hopefully a more reliable internet connection.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2012, 08:40:37 am »

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2012, 08:49:21 am »

shark_bait cleaned my clock the two games this morning, so our Round 3 set was 4-0 to him.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2012, 09:09:20 am »
+2

shark_bait cleaned my clock the two games this morning, so our Round 3 set was 4-0 to him.

Game 3

Key Cards - Garden, Silk Road, Island, Noble Brigand, Tribute

This was was an alt-VP game if there ever was one.  As I started the game, I couldn't help but think of this thread.  Because I decided to open with Village.  The reasoning was that Noble Brigand was available and I wanted all of his treasure without giving him the chance to steal mine.  We diverge in the opening of Island/Silver for him and Village/Noble Brigand for me.  He buys a 2nd Silver and sooner rather than later, I've got all of his 2 Silver.  He detours for a total of 3 Islands and a Tribute allowing me to win the SR split 5-3.  At that point I knew that I just needed to extend the game long enough to overcome his 6 VP lead from Islands.  I really should count better because I lost track of exactly how many VP cards I had and took a gamble on the last turn that my Garden purchase would get me to a new SR level.  It paid off and Game 3 ended in a narrow victory.

Even good players make mistakes.

Code: [Select]
— shark_bait's turn 8 —
   shark_bait plays a Village.
   ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions.
   shark_bait plays a Village.
   ... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions.
   shark_bait plays a Noble Brigand.
   ... getting +$1.
   ... paddyodoors reveals and discards a Shanty Town and an Island.
   ... paddyodoors gains a Copper.
   shark_bait plays a Silver and 2 Coppers.
   shark_bait buys a Silk Road.
   (shark_bait reshuffles.)
   (shark_bait draws: an Estate, a Shanty Town, and 3 Coppers.)

Notice that I play my Noble Brigand resulting in $5 total purchasing power and then buy a SR for $4.  Also look what I gave.  My Noble Brigand gave my opponent a copper.  There were other instances in this game where I made the correct play of NOT playing my Noble Brigand, but in this case I went on autopilot and played it when I shouldn't.  It should be noted that at this point in the game I had all of his Silver.

shark_bait 41 over paddyodoors 38

Game 4

Key Cards - Warehouse, Mountebank, Treasury

We both open the same with Warehouse/Silver going for a bit of purchasing power and cycling to try and get to those Mountebanks as fast as possible.  The main difference in this game is that I stuck with a single Mountebank opting to get Golds whereas paddy got a 2nd and 3rd Mountebank on turns 6 and 10 with $7 in play.  I pick up a couple of Treasuries in the mid-game hoping that the top decking can increase my chance for Province.  He wins the Curse split 6/4 but at that point I had a slim lead and with no +Buy he violates the PPR which results in a victory for me in the next turn.

shark_bait 34 over paddyodoors 27

Thanks to paddy for being a gracious opponent and sorry that Games 1 and 2 took so long. 

shark_bait

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2012, 05:50:42 pm »
+1

For those who are interested, here are Games 1 and 2 of my series with paddy.

Game 1

Neither of us played this one optimally.  IMO, the correct way to play this would be to use use Chapel for trashing and obtain a single possession.  It is also imperative to obtain Scrying Pools.  Then only use your opponents deck to green and don't allow them to possess your hand for anything worthwhile.  The winner would be the person who sets this up first.  I get an insurmountable lead because paddy doesn't trash right away and I steal 2 Province hands from his deck.  I'd imagine a game like this could result in a stalemate if both players got to the Scrying Pool/Possession deck at the same time.

Game 2

This was an interesting game and neither of us played it exceptionally well.  Masquerade is around which makes BM appealing.  It also provides defense against the Swindler.  Bishop is also present for a potential Golden Deck and University can gain things like Great Halls and Cartographers.  With identical start we both open potion planning for Universities.  I like this approach because University combined with Cartographer provides huge control over ending the game.  His Swindler hits Coppers on Turns 5 and 7 and I don't like the way things are looking.  My Masquerade on Turn 4 really helped turn the tide I think.  I was able to cycle a bit faster and get rid of a bit of junk.  That allowed me to gain a large advantage in the Cartographer pile.  And just when I was starting to feel in control of the game, I gift him 2 Duchies on Turns 12 and 13 with my Swindler.  Due to those, I was no longer in control of ending the game on my terms.  I got lucky that paddy couldn't end it while he had that lead.  I had just enough time to play some Bishops for VP points and paddy graciously gave me the win based on my last hand (I was down by a point with only 1 Estate left in the supply).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:55:49 pm by shark_bait »

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2012, 05:13:55 pm »
+3

We agree to play identical hands with point tracker and prohibiting Black Market, Ill-gotten gains, Possession and Tournament.

Game 1(Apprentice, Cartographer, Duchess, Farming Village, Nobles, Royal Seal, Stables, Talisman, Trading Post, and Treasure Map)
We both open silver/silver looking to get to the early trading post.  He buys golds which I think are a trap on this board.  There is no +buy and trading post will provide enough economy to buy provinces. 

Game 2(Adventurer, Embargo, Familiar, Highway, Lookout, Navigator, Nobles, Pearl Diver, Potion, Tribute, and Vault)
My greedy lookout/potion vs. his embargo/potion.  Pretty even out of the gate but eventually his economy pulls out in front.  The Nobles buy on turn 12 along with the province buy turn 14 were probably mistakes on my part. 

Game 3(Embassy, Expand, Festival, Fishing Village, Golem, Library, Merchant Ship, Potion, Quarry, Tribute, and University)
A fun board featuring university with plenty of juicy 5s.  With the golem on board we both buy a second potion right away.  His first potion misses the shuffle, which was probably enough for me to pull ahead.  The extra embassys were solid as card draw with plenty of junk in the deck and the silvers given can clog up a library engine.

Game 4(Apprentice, Cache, Familiar, Horse Traders, Library, Lighthouse, Potion, Quarry, Thief, Trade Route, and Trading Post)
Very different opens in his Horse Traders/Silver vs my Quarry/Lighthouse.  I went quarry because I wanted both trading post and at least one apprentice.  With the apprentice it could always be trashed later.   I kept my eye on getting a familiar if he didnt adequately protect with lighthouses and proved to help a lot mid game.

Game 5(Apothecary, Coppersmith, Fairgrounds, Festival, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Quarry, Royal Seal, Saboteur, Vineyard, and Witch)
A pretty funky board.  I open potion/silver vs his silver/silver.  I went with an early apothecary but my plan all along was philo stone, though I doubt that I played it optimally. 
I really thought I would win once curses finished in my favor.  However in the final shuffle I found all my philo stones buried, and then without +buys and in the end I felt fortunate to pull out the draw.

Game 6(Border Village, Caravan, Coppersmith, Harvest, Laboratory, Mine, Mining Village, Potion, Scout, Stash, and University)
Fourth consecutive potion game!  I open potion/silver vs his Caravan/silver.  I got an early mine and let that be most of my economy.  I didn't mind getting the potion with the presence of mine, though I imagine there is a good case against it. 

Obi Wan Bonogi wins 4-1-1

scryordie

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 02, 2013, 02:49:17 pm »
+2

Round 4 Results: scryordie (50) vs. gamesou

50 4 - 3 gamesou

A tight and intense series all the way through. I was glad because all the sets were interesting and there was relatively little luck involved.

Game 1: scryordie 122 - gamesou - 55
An engine was clearly the optimal strategy here. We both got the 5/2 split and opened Haggler/Nothing. In the second cycle, I opted for Tactician/Bishop over Gold/Haggler. This helped accelerate my engine, and soon, with the aid of many bishops, I got my deck down into a very consistent Colony engine with a Haggler for Bishop fodder. Gamesou suffered from too many terminal early game, and was not able to pull himself back into it with Double Tactician + Mass Bishop.

Game 2: scryordie 9 - gamesou -7

An interesting set with a ton of engine cards. We both open Steward/Quarry and snatch up 5 cost engine components. (Although gamesou favors trashing some more cards, while I pick up both a Mountebank and a Wharf). As the game develops, with both pick up Farming Villages and Throne Rooms. Gamesou upgrades his first Mountebank into a Gold, which I feel was a mistake. With Quarry, Throne Room, and Mountebank, money is simply not that important, and this allows me to get a decisive Curse split. I am able to get an insurance Province and end it on piles.

I feel the midgame Scrying Pool was a trap, as it was simply too slow in this volatile set.

Game 3: scryordie  36 - gamesou 42

The board lacks a large engine and we both favor a Stables Big Money. I feel pretty confident with Smugglers as second seat, especially when I am able to get an early Stables. I have an edge going into the mid game, and gamesou goes for develop, which was a little slow in my opinion, but I fail to get enough money before diving into the Provinces. Some bad shuffle luck (Turns 10 and 15) where I have two Stables and no treasure to be found and 4 of my Stables clump together at the bottom of my deck.

Gamesou takes the lead, and through some nice use of develop is able to grab the estates necessary to guarantee a tie and able to close out the game on piles.

Game 4: scryordie 42 - gamesou 37

Going in, I am quite worried because this sizes up to be a Big Money game, and Militia can heavily favor the first seat. Gamesou opts to go Militia/Silver while I go Militia/Courtyard. I make some tough decisions about when to play the Militia vs. the Courtyard to deny gamesou $6 and $5, and it pays off, because I am able to get a massive Gold lead, while gamesou builds up with more Militia and Throne Rooms. I feel that Throne Room might not have been as great here as it may seem. Throne Rooming a Militia is not substantively different from playing a Militia and a Silver.

I buy the Penultimate Province (happily, because if we tie, I think I can take a different game that does not favor first seat quite as heavily). Fortunately for me, gamesou can only grab an Estate, and I take the last Province for the win.

Game 5: gamesou wins

I thought I grabbed the log for this game, but apparently not. Unfortunately, I totally forget what the set was and how the game ended. If gamesou still has the log, I will type up my thoughts and edit this post.

Game 6: scryordie 12 - gamesou 26

An interesting game. Chapel/Possession calls out to both of us. I can think of no way to rush Greens quick enough to beat someone taking 2-3 times as many turns. I opt for Spice Merchant/Chapel while gamesou goes for Silver/Chapel. With some bad luck on turn 5, I don't get the second play of the Chapel (despite a two thirds chance) which slows me down and costs me first seat advantage. Gamesou keeps his deck more focused and doesn't make my mistake of undervaluing the starting Copper. He is able to get the first Possession and the third Possession. Suddenly, I am in a deep hole. We both trash most of our decks with Chapels, and the long drawn out bleeding begins.

Menageries are the first to empty as we both alternate taking 2 or 3 turns in a very poor economic situation. I know I have to make my move as the pawns begin to go. I get a Province with gamesou's deck, but he follows suit and starts picking up Duchies with mine. I then transition into trying to get a second Possession, but by the time I due, gamesou has filled his deck with a glut of green and is able to close out piles for the win.

Very nicely and patiently played by gamesou. If someone can think of a way out of my bind, please post, I'd be interested to know!

In any case, the series goes on to the decisive seventh game.

Game 7: scryordie 18 - gamesou 13

Once again, Possession shows itself in a game with powerful trashing (Steward) and mediocre card draw. I opt for the risky Steward/Steward opening while gamesou goes Steward/Potion. I hope to go for the Possessions with a thin deck once again. gamesou also favors Alchemy, but throws in some Universities to pick up Caravans and Festivals.

I am able to successfully thin my deck and grab a Possession on Turn 10. I steal a Possession turn from gamesou, and things look good. My deck gets into gear as I grab a second Possession. Gamesou begins to ruin his deck by grabbing Estates to fend off my Possession. Three piles are becoming dangerously close to running.

I see that gamesou is no longer planning to go into the Possession war with me, and I make a mad grab at all the power cards I can. I grab Universities, the remaining Caravans, some Festivals, and several of Stewards.

I now follow gamesou into the greens and we are both grabbing Duchies and Estates at every opportunity. The game comes to a heart pounding culmination as gamesou grabs a Duchy and an Estate leaving only one Duchy left and 4 Estates. Either running means the game ends.

If I buy the Duchy I win, but I am forced to double Estate with $4. I play a Possession, look at gamesou's hand to find a Duchy buy waiting for me. I take it for the game and the match.

GGs and a nice series gamesou. I hope to see you around!

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
+3

ednever over Shark Bait 4-2

The games:

Game 1: Sea Hag match with IGG. SB goes for 2 Hags, but we split the cursese as I pick up two IGG. Then I go Gardens early with IGG copper support and win the split 5/3. Pretty much over then.
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-180957-b0f09fbb.html

Game 2: I aim for a Tactician/Horn mini-engine with Money lender, Baron and Menagerie support. SB goes more money using Explorer with Tactician. Both of us get some big hands, but enentually I win on mathemetical elimination.
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-181507-d0fe422c.html

Game 3: A super Gardens friendly kingdom: Pawn, Smugglers, Trader, University and Jester. I open Potion/Smuglers thinking I can use Univeristies to pick up Jesters. SB goes Trader/Smuggler. I dive into Gardens super early (turn 3!) and SB follows. His extra Silvers from Trader help him win the Gardens split and then I'm scrambling. Game over right there again on the split.
SB wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-182133-4ef4af13.html

Game 4: Familiar match. SB tries to transition into an engine. I decide to take the slog route. I piledrive the Duchies and then end it off by picking up the last Bazaar. Thanks WW for the timely article.
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-183254-2b9e8b66.html

Game 5: More Familiars. This time with Chapel. I learned my lesson the other day ignoring cursers on a chapel board so we both open Potion/Chapel. Only I can't get a Familiar to save my life. After I lose the curse war 10-0, I figure my only shot is latting him pile drive provinces while I extend the game going for Fairgrounds. But it's a fool's quest. The game ended a lot earlier than the turns indicate.
SB wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-184413-27d3deb6.html

Game 6: The most potentially interesting match for sure. We both open Tournament/Chapel. I use by early $6 to pick up Golds and SB goes for Nobles. It costs him. I get early Provinces which are key with Tournaments. He gets a few Mountebanks, but the Masq's keep my curse total under control. When I win the first Prize I actually pick up Trusty Steed instead of Followers. I get to 4-0 provinces and then it's just a matter of keeping SB in check while I pick up cheaper VP like Nobles and Duchies while he can't afford to pick up Provinces for fear I will end it
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-185239-6d85962f.html

Great series SB!

Ed

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #147 on: January 02, 2013, 11:21:51 pm »

ednever over Shark Bait 4-2

The games:

Game 1: Sea Hag match with IGG. SB goes for 2 Hags, but we split the cursese as I pick up two IGG. Then I go Gardens early with IGG copper support and win the split 5/3. Pretty much over then.
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-180957-b0f09fbb.html
2 Hags seems too many with IGG about, particularly with gardens.

Game 2: I aim for a Tactician/Horn mini-engine with Money lender, Baron and Menagerie support. SB goes more money using Explorer with Tactician. Both of us get some big hands, but enentually I win on mathemetical elimination.
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-181507-d0fe422c.html

Game 3: A super Gardens friendly kingdom: Pawn, Smugglers, Trader, University and Jester. I open Potion/Smuglers thinking I can use Univeristies to pick up Jesters. SB goes Trader/Smuggler. I dive into Gardens super early (turn 3!) and SB follows. His extra Silvers from Trader help him win the Gardens split and then I'm scrambling. Game over right there again on the split.
SB wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-182133-4ef4af13.html
Boy, I dunno. University into jester seems sorta slow. But... maybe?

Game 4: Familiar match. SB tries to transition into an engine. I decide to take the slog route. I piledrive the Duchies and then end it off by picking up the last Bazaar. Thanks WW for the timely article.
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-183254-2b9e8b66.html
You're welcome ;)

Game 5: More Familiars. This time with Chapel. I learned my lesson the other day ignoring cursers on a chapel board so we both open Potion/Chapel. Only I can't get a Familiar to save my life. After I lose the curse war 10-0, I figure my only shot is latting him pile drive provinces while I extend the game going for Fairgrounds. But it's a fool's quest. The game ended a lot earlier than the turns indicate.
SB wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-184413-27d3deb6.html

Game 6: The most potentially interesting match for sure. We both open Tournament/Chapel. I use by early $6 to pick up Golds and SB goes for Nobles. It costs him. I get early Provinces which are key with Tournaments. He gets a few Mountebanks, but the Masq's keep my curse total under control. When I win the first Prize I actually pick up Trusty Steed instead of Followers. I get to 4-0 provinces and then it's just a matter of keeping SB in check while I pick up cheaper VP like Nobles and Duchies while he can't afford to pick up Provinces for fear I will end it
ednever wins
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-185239-6d85962f.html
Wow, I... wow. Masq with chapel. Chapel with tournament. Mountebank hanging out. I can't wrap my head... interesting.

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2013, 03:01:25 am »

Game 5: (missing log)

Here it is :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/02/game-20130102-084308-46fbcf2b.html

I liked Contraband here with several alternatives for expansive cards (Gold/Harem, Expand/Province) and trash for benefit. Buying 2 of them was a bit risky, but it paid off (or was it just luck ?).

Congratulations to 50 ! I'm happy to have seen Possession games to finish the series. This is one of my favorite cards !
Designer of Chronos Conquest

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11:39 am »
+1

2 Hags seems too many with IGG about, particularly with gardens.

It's worth considering whether 1 hag is too many.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 22 queries.