Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: Thief Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 75496 times)

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
Re: Thief Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:46 pm »
+3

I'm gonna add some commentary. Thanks to alex for this nice series, it came down to a few really tight decisions.
(Sidenote: he preferred veto mode while I didn't so we played last game's loser decides.)

46-39
Apothecary, Fortune Teller, Scheme, Wishing Well, Envoy, Remodel, Spy, Duke, Highway, Hunting Party
There is hunting party, no +action and only a mediocre +2$ card (fortune teller). We both go for a remodel opening which I'm not sure about anymore. But with scheme we seem to believe to quickly get rid of our estates and enhance cycling even further. I quickly add 2 schemes, he adds 2 spies via remodeling estates. Well, although it does indeed hurt in the endgame (t14: making lespeutere discard a Silver, t16: ...discard a Hunting Party, t19: ...discard a Hunting Party), spy is not that strong of an attack. Alex is able to buy 2 provinces in t8 and t9 and I don't feel well in a race for provinces as he's got 2 golds vs. my 1. So I rethink and opt for dukes as I have picked up a few silvers which I'm willing to sacrifice for duchies and dukes and I can scheme my hunting parties such that I can pretty reliantly draw 5$ (and, more important, 7$ with a remodel to gain 2 duchies/dukes in one turn). Alex only has 2 hunting parties while I've got 3. I am able to win both the duchy and the duke split 5-3 and as he's only able to grab 1 more province (via remodeling gold), I am able to drain the estate pile for the win.

37-37
Crossroads, Fortune Teller, Great Hall, Envoy, Horse Traders, Quarry, Remake, Cartographer, City, Hunting Party
Hunting party again. There is horse traders for +buy, quarry to facilitate early 5$ pickups. And Xroads for exploding hunting party turns with great halls. We both start remake/silver/quarry, but then I get my remake on t5 only: remake, 3 estates, 1 copper so I cannot even pickup a crossroads which I really want. T4 is a hunting party for me and his t5 is a cartographer which might have cost him the game. Nobody moves to cities as we anticipate it's going to be over to soon with hp on the board. He trashes his quarry on t11 for a hp, while I keep mine to be able to pick up more hunting parties along the provinces we start buying on t11.
It comes down to duchy dancing with 2 provinces left as we're not capable of double province turns. He trashes a horse traders and a silver for a duchy, buying the last one which I regard as extremely risky. However, I can only tie on my final turn as I've got 9$ only for a province when I needed 1$ more for an estate which would've secured my win when I trashed quarry and horse traders for the last hunting party and a (meaningless) city.

37-35
Vineyard, Embargo, Pearl Diver, Chancellor, Village, Feast, Moneylender, Spice Merchant, Farmland, Grand Market
So there is no 5$ card on the board and I start 5/2. So I go for moneylender/pearl diver vs his moneylender/silver which I don't like too much cause this is obviously going to be a race for grand markets. We have 5$ pretty often and can't use them, so we go for some silvers (me less than him, as I'm preparing for vineyards, getting villages and chancellors). He picks up a a spice merchant which I don't think is a great idea. I embargo provinces when I had 2$ only and picked an embargo up. While I hit grand markets first, he wins the split 3-7. We both get potion on t12, I add 2 more on t15 after he has bought the first vineyard. What saves me here despite the lost GM split are the 2 chancellors which help me to maintain a better deck control. For some reason, alex also buys provinces and takes the curse, leaving 6 vineyards for me and I can secure the win by 3piling despite pearl divers being embargoed once.

55-73
Caravan, Feast, Silk Road, Throne Room, Bazaar, Merchant Ship, Mine, Wharf, Hoard, Nobles
In principle it looks like a very interesting board, with silk road support by nobles and hoard, with wharf support by throne room and bazaar. Well, he starts silver/feast, I go silver/silver as I want to have treasure in my deck. I get 4$ on t3 and t4, but 8$ on t5, which pretty much seals the deal. I get a hoard, he gets a second wharf on t9 and 3 hoards. He keeps it at 2 wharves while I have 4 eventually, hoping for support by tr and bazaar/nobles, but his hoards work nicely and although I can at least win the nobles (admittedly, very late, when I don't want to break PPR) and the silk road split (5-3 each), he easily renders that meaningless by getting 6 provinces with his 18 golds (compared to my 9).

35-34
Courtyard, Secret Chamber, Scrying Pool, Bureaucrat, Conspirator, Jack of All Trades, Nomad Camp, Cache, Wharf, King's Court
This was a really close one. I start 5/2 and start wharf/courtyard to go for a wharf fueled KC/conspirator thing. He goes silver/jack and plays a simple double jack approach. He gets provinces on t7, 8 and 10, I can take the lead on t11 with a triple province turn. However, I draw 2 KC dead the next turn and I don't feel too well now. We start duchy dancing for a while, I have to get estates and he buys the penultimate province for an 8 point lead. This turns out to be not enough as I can KC two conspirators and get a province and a duchy for 19$ with 2 buys from a wharf.

40-29
Ambassador, Oasis, Baron, Conspirator, Coppersmith, Noble Brigand, Spy, Contraband, Duke, Trading Post
This one is pretty much over after t2. It is another duke board and while there is a small potential for an oasis-conspirator chain, I consider the duke approach as the far superior. So I start silver/baron while alex starts ambassador/silver. He ambassadors me 2 estates, I get another baron and start buying duchies on t4. He adds in a trading post to trash his ambassadors and we split duchies and dukes equally but as he had given me 2 estates and I happily took more as baron fuel, I can drain the estate pile quickly while he never makes it to more than 6$ to somehow threaten me.

Far more interesting boards than in the previous round, and I'm looking forward to the next round vs Fabian. :-)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 02:55:45 pm by lespeutere »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2012, 01:21:09 pm »

Stealth Tomato 1 - 4 DESTROYER

Another disappointing end for me where I started out with some horrifying luck. I think we both agree I was outplayed, but not nearly by a 4-1 margin.

Game 1: Stealth Tomato 22 : 26 DESTROYER. Colony-Mountebank game. I primarily die via collision of my Expands, but trying to end the piles too early turned it from near-impossible to impossible. A good game but a relative coinflip in the end.

Game 2: Stealth Tomato 36 : 56 DESTROYER. Masq-Wharf-Village. Horrendous draws for me. This game was over by Turn 6 despite a straightforward opening. The only thing that made this even close to close was a bad last shuffle for him. At this point I'm down 2-0 without having made a clear mistake, which is frustrating, then I do this...

Game 3: Stealth Tomato 17 : 34 DESTROYER. Tournament game with a Contraband opening. I bizarrely buy Bank over Province, forgetting Tournament exists, and I get beat for it.

Game 4: Stealth Tomato 31 : 29 DESTROYER. Tournament-Governor. I make a singular focus on getting Followers, he doesn't, I ride that to victory despite fewer Governors.

Game 5: DESTROYER 31 : 25 Stealth Tomato. DoubleJack with stuff. He opens Jack/Lookout to my Jack/Silver. I don't anticipate him picking up $5 on 3/4, but he picks up Lookout/Jack/3x Copper on Turn 3, doesn't draw into any Estates, picks up a Festival, speeds up his reshuffle, and that's about the end of that. I get a little into strategic crazyland as I recognize I'm behind and it doesn't help.
(edit: I simulated it out to see how Jack/Lookout fares against Jack/Silver; it's essentially even. Jack-Silver has about a 1.4% edge, and that might be explainable via non-optimal Lookout play (although this is one of the few situations where Lookout is almost always a straightforward play). Also, there is no good reason for me to buy Festival on Turn 6.)

Wish we'd had more than 2-3 good games (and was looking forward to Rabid, he's more fun than most to lose to), but so it is. I shouldn't make glaring mistakes in one of those games if I don't want luck to bite me. Destroyer played well with his leads, which is one of the most underrated skills in Dominion. If he can pick up a few leads on you, Rabid, I'd watch out.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:39:45 pm by Stealth Tomato »

DESTROYER

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2012, 01:47:50 pm »

EDIT: Beaten to the punch! Here's my take -

In Round 3, DESTROYER beats Stealth Tomato 4-1. Thanks to Stealth Tomato, it was great fun playing with you.

Game 1: DESTROYER 26 - ST 22
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-093211-c12cbffa.html Nothing too exciting going on here. The biggest difference between our choices here was Tomato going for a second Mountebank while I grabbed a Witch instead, otherwise this one was built around a quick Victory rush at the end. A little bit of Expand maneuvering at the end sealed it.

Game 2: DESTROYER 56 - ST 36
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-093918-c8848008.html Wharf, Masquerade and Bank, early shuffle luck determines the outcome.

Game 3: DESTROYER 34 - ST 17
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-095248-555e5471.html I always love any Tournament game where I can pick up both Followers AND Trusty Steed, but I imagine that probably wasn't so fun for Tomato. We went slightly different routes here, and Tomato was never able to line up his Tournaments for prizes. Once I picked up momentum there wasn't much left for him to do. As it so often goes in Tournament games, I imagine that him getting to Followers first would've led to the opposite outcome.

Game 4: Stealth Tomato wins - I'm missing this log, but I remember it was a Governor game with Tournament again, and ST beat me something like 31 - 29, though it never really felt that close. He got to Followers, used it effectively in tandem with Governor a couple times, and it was all over.

Game 5: DESTROYER 31 - ST 25
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/21/game-20121221-100647-949fcef4.html Mostly just a Jack game, with a few minor pieces thrown in. Not much to say about this one either, it went by lightning fast.

Again, thanks to Stealth Tomato. It felt a bit like these games sorta played themselves, but I still enjoyed our match.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 01:49:17 pm by DESTROYER »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2012, 01:54:50 pm »

Game 4: Stealth Tomato wins - I'm missing this log, but I remember it was a Governor game with Tournament again, and ST beat me something like 31 - 29, though it never really felt that close. He got to Followers, used it effectively in tandem with Governor a couple times, and it was all over.
Games that look closer than they are happen a lot when you suicide-buy the last Province. =P

Good games and good luck, sir.

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »
+1

Game 3: BadAssMutha 6 - 31 HME
Key cards: Young Witch, Wharf, KC, Quarry, Tunnel, Warehouse
On 2/5 he goes for nothing/Wharf, while I go Herbalist(bane)/YW. My thinking is that goal #1 is to mass Quarries and I don't need the Wharf quite yet for that. He decides to go into Warehouse/Tunnel while I just collect Quarries. Eventually I'm able to get a Wharf and KC, which snowballs very quickly with 3 Quarries. I have to be a little careful about piles, on my second-to-last turn, but other than that it's smooth sailing.
Very cool game!  I've never seen anyone eschew Tunnel on a board with warehouse/YW/oasis.  I need to re-read this one a few more times and think on it.

DESTROYER

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2012, 02:50:08 pm »

Games that look closer than they are happen a lot when you suicide-buy the last Province. =P

Good games and good luck, sir.

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot that little detail. In retrospect maybe I shouldn't have done that? Conceding seemed like the less messy option there, where my loss felt inevitable, but I suppose you could have still drawn a dead hand. Two matches in a row where I got crushed in a Governor game - now if it shows up when I face Rabid I'll know just what to blame my loss on :).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2012, 04:54:36 pm »
+1

On 2/5 he goes for nothing/Wharf, while I go Herbalist(bane)/YW. My thinking is that goal #1 is to mass Quarries and I don't need the Wharf quite yet for that. He decides to go into Warehouse/Tunnel while I just collect Quarries. Eventually I'm able to get a Wharf and KC, which snowballs very quickly with 3 Quarries. I have to be a little careful about piles, on my second-to-last turn, but other than that it's smooth sailing.
Very cool game!  I've never seen anyone eschew Tunnel on a board with warehouse/YW/oasis.  I need to re-read this one a few more times and think on it.

Thanks! The way I see it, no matter how many Tunnel enablers there are, all Tunnel can do is gain Gold. And Gold is way less important than KCs and Wharves.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2012, 08:23:17 am »
+2

Round 4.    Rabid 4 vs DESTROYER 1

A much closer match than the score would indicate.
With some really cool boards.
We played with same starting hands, with veto mode.

Game 1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-033741-955615c4.html
Colony, Expand, Farmland, Fishing Village, Fool's Gold, Haggler, Laboratory, Pawn, Platinum, Quarry, Venture, and Watchtower
Looks like I'm in control all the way though this game.
But I think I greened slightly to early.
I think I wanted double lab on turns 12 or 13.
DESTROYER gets the surprise 1 point win with expand to colony buy prov on the last turn.

Game 2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-034813-ea913de7.html
Apprentice, Baron, Caravan, Courtyard, Lighthouse, Oasis, Steward, Treasury, Tunnel, and Wishing Well
Get to build a really nice engine here for 2 double prov turns
Apprentice gold to draw deck.
Oasis a single tunnel twice.
Use baron for + buy. :)
I think my 4/3 opening might be an advantage here?

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-040114-e7c6dc24.html
Council Room, Duchess, Horn of Plenty, Mandarin, Mine, Mint, Potion, Scrying Pool, Spy, Tactician, and Village

Another nice board.
Looks like a HoP mega turn, with several draw options availiable. (Tact, Scrying pool, council room) Or possibly double tact with mandarin and duchess for virtual coin.
But only mint for trashing.
I go for the early trashing with Mandarin, Mint, into villages + council rooms.
I go off a turn earlier mostly due to the 5/2 start I think.

Game 4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-041024-c485bb6c.html

Our second Money focused Colony board and it so nearly ends the same way.
My Monument / Silver against, Vault.
My VP chips give me enough of a lead to break PCR on turn 19.
But then I only draw $5 on turn 22 needing $8 to stay 10 points clear.
So I buy the mandarin and cross fingers.
DESTROYER only has $10.
I win on turn 23.
DESTROYER has $11 in hand!

Game 5
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-043126-e670f4e4.html
Crossroads, Fairgrounds, Island, Loan, Minion, Salvager, Secret Chamber, Stables, Walled Village, and Workshop

Really strange game to finish off the series.
DESTROYER gets a nice lead early but can't end the game.
My very slow fairgrounds mess catches up.

Thanks for the match DESTROYER, some exciting end games that could have gone either way!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 04:17:24 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »
+7

Firstly, I have to say, I remember a time not too long ago when I could do nothing but look up to Fabian both from just looking at the leaderboard but also in our direct games when I was more than happy to sneak out a win from time to time. Now I feel like I could reduce the skill difference between us a little being a more or less equal opponent and I am quite proud to have performed like one today.
Now, secondly, to fulfill Fabian's 'imagination':

1-0
Cellar♦, Loan, Oasis, Trade Route, Bishop, Thief, Young Witch, Apprentice, Cartographer, Goons, Possession
There is young witch and we both go for it and skip cellar entirely although it's not the worst bane. There is the question whether we want to get an apprentice as possession is there like damocles' sword dangling above us. Nevertheless, Fabian gets two quickly (the 2nd from his first apprentice turn) while I get one and an early goons on my apprentice turn. While I get another silver, he gets a potion, obviously aiming at possession. Yet I get a 2nd apprentice as well and Fabian starts picking up cartographers to cycle quickly through his (partly junked) deck and find his (yet to come) possession. I buy a potion 2 turns later and draw it immediately as 3$P while he is able to apprentice his apprentice, play a cartographer and a young witch for exactly 6$P. My potion 2 turns later than his was already questionable but now I realise I'm just desperately behind in terms of possession hunting so I have to take another route. The (obvious, I guess) choice is to go heavily for goons. The game now goes always as follows: Fabian search his deck for one of his two possessions by lots of (5) cartographers, he possesses me and finds one of my (eventually) 8 goons (40 cards). Either he is lucky to find an apprentice with it or hes not and has to decide whether he wants to discard his hand (assuming I will play goons on my own turn anyway) and give me the VP from goons. He had trashed his YW rather early, leaving me on my own to 3pile. Eventually, my attacking defense works out and I can take this game home 39-32 (21 goons VP).

1-1
Transmute, Chapel, Secret Chamber, Smugglers, Woodcutter, Envoy, Militia, Mining Village, Highway, Torturer
Not much to say here: he opens silver/chapel while I go militia/chapel as P2. He then absolutely correctly goes for a 1 torturer/BM deck with 3 golds and a silver (+ 1 late gold) while I try some highway/smugglers shenanigans which never come together. I buy the last province as I see there is no chance to win anyway and to make it look not too devastating: 23-33.

2-1
Village, Woodcutter, Horse Traders, Militia, Walled Village, Haggler, Merchant Ship, Tactician, Tribute, Peddler
Level 40 and still opening village? Yes, I am. I want to set up a peddler/village/horse traders based double tactician deck, so I open village/horse traders while Fabian opens silver/milita. He goes for a money based approach, prefering gold over tactician with 6$ on t3 and getting tactician on t5. I can quickly gain some peddlers (8-2 in the end) but as there is neither cycling nor carddraw I am not successful in setting up the double tactician deck. He has 15$ on tactician turns twice so it's a head to head race for most of the game. He then has to decide whether he wants to break PPR on t15 for a 2 point lead. He eventually does and I have tactician, militia, 3 coppers. I make the right call and play tactician instead of taking the duchy and making him discard his hand. He then also plays a tactician, and I just scrape together 9$ for the last province and the 34-30 victory.

3-1
Council Room, Fairgrounds, Menagerie, Minion, Nobles, Saboteur, Silk Road, Steward, Torturer, and Wharf
Interesting one. There is steward as a trasher into menagerie assisted minions and there is wharf for a BM approach or with nobles as expensive villages. And silk roads as massive support for an addition of nobles to the deck. And then fairgrounds as another source of valuable non-province green. So we both start steward/silver, Fabian can trash 3 estates and 1 copper by t7, while I hit 3 coppers and 1 estate. Seems like I'm predestined for a SR route now. However, it's just the other way round. Fabian goes for money with wharves and collects nobles heavily while I pick up minions and menageries along; I also get 1 wharv for the + buy and 1 nobles for the +actions. When I have 5 minions, 2 silvers and the steward I start going green with two consecutive double province turns. Fabian, in turn, has triple SR and double SR turns t14 and 15. I decide to pick up a SR on t15 alongside a province. On t16 I have the opportunity to buy the last SR to split them 2-6 instead of 1-7 with 8$ and 2 buys. However, I decide to buy the antepenultimate province to end this game more quickly. Next turn, Fabian buys the last SR and I have 4$ with one buy only. Looks like I made the wrong call. Fabian then even buys the penultimate province for a 9 point lead. He draws estate, copper, 3 nobles which I discard with my minion (he said that my minions hit very well, in general) and I buy estate/fairgrounds for 5 points and as my 9th and 10th victory cards. Fabian plays a wharv and ponders for quite some time whether to buy 2 estates (17th and 18th victory card and towards 3piling) for a 6 point lead or a duchy which gets him a 7 point lead. He decides to go for the duchy but I am able to buy the last province and an estate with 12$ and 2 buys to get 7 points from these two and another point from my lonely SR as I have 12 victory cards now: 53-52.

3-2
Herbalist, Throne Room, Golem, Duke, Jester, Library, Mine, Mint, Witch, Nobles
We both start silver/silver for witches. He gets 2 on t3 and 4 while I get one and a potion on t4 and 5. Fabian then invests heavily in gold while I pick up a throne room and a golem which lets me split curses 3-7 in my favour. Fabian then buys a province with his 5-1 gold advantage (but still I consider this a mistake). I buy a duchy with 10$ and now Fabian starts to buy duchies as well. We split them 4-4, and too often I only have 3 or 4$ so I go for some estates. He gets 4 dukes and Idesperately try to get the penultimate duke. In this case he would not have been able to buy the last estate as this would've resulted in a tie. On his penultimate turn, he has 4$ and decides to buy the penultimate estate and he is right with this decision as I cannot buy a duke with 4$ as well. He then buys the last estate for a 3piling end: 30-34.

3-3
Conspirator, Moneylender, Throne Room, Duke, Explorer, Governor, Saboteur, Torturer, Trading Post, Wharf
Moneylender/silver openings for both of us. I get 4$ on t3 and 4 so I buy throne room and conspirator while he gets 5$ twice and 2 governors. He rides this huge early advantage til the end: I get a wharv as my first 5$ card, he gets one as well a turn later. Yet there is no real megaturning, we get the first four as single provinces, with one duchy for Fabian from my governoring. T11 is a double province (+1 estate) turn for me, Fabian gets a duchy. With 3 provinces left, he gets one and I get an estate but have copper, throne room, green in hand so that I can't do anything. I even draw estate, TR, 3 silvers but before I start getting angry about this huge bad shuffle luck, Fabian ist just able to close out the game with 8$ for the last province after governoring a gold for the penultimate. With the cards drawn from his +3 cards governor moves I would've been able to get the last province but he steals it 27-36.

4-3
Native Village, Moneylender, Envoy, Talisman, Apprentice, Horn of Plenty, Mint, Mountebank, , Expand, Peddler, with Platinum/Colony
So the series comes down to a presumably decisive game. There is mountebank on the board definitely playing the pivotal role here. There is apprentice for some trashing and there is peddler as really nice fodder for both apprentice and expand. Well, I get superlucky here and the 5/2 start to open mountebank/NV. This makes me look at the game more confident but I remember saying "Well, he is such a great player, this is by no means over and he will make his way back." He opens moneylender/silver and gets mountebanks pretty quickly, too. Despite my 5/2 opening, we split curses 5-5 as he is able to trash 5 coppers for a mint to drastically reduce his deck size. We pick up apprentices on t6 (me) and 7 (him). Up to t12 I am able to pick up 2 more apprentices and 3 peddlers, while he gets a platinum after 2 NVs and a peddler. T13 gets me a NV, him an expand which I pick up on t14 that gets him another NV. From here, things diverge heavily, as I can apprentice a peddler, a mountebank and a moneylender to buy a mint with 7 coppers and expanding an estate into an apprentice. I now have the much tighter deck and a huge advantage in apprentices and peddlers which makes me able to cycle through my deck, expand peddlers into colonies and eventually trash curses with expand or apprentice. I get another expand and am in total control of the end game now. With 10 points ahead on t19 I am not quite able to close the game despite having expanded an apprentice into a talisman for double peddlering and refrain from emptying another pile (2 peddlers and 1 NV) to not enable Fabian to make some nice lucky punch at the very end. There is no lucky punch, however, Fabian gets a duchy only. On t20 then I can expand my last curse into the last NV and get the last two peddlers with talisman.

As Fabian said, games were close except 2 where he outplayed me completely, and even game 7 felt close to me until I was able to get rid of the whole copper pile in my deck although I already had the greater potential in my deck.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2012, 05:28:12 pm »

Game 2 looks like it should be Highway megaturn with Chapel to clean up, Woodcutter for buy and Mining Village/Torturer/Envoy as draw. Can't see how Torturer BM would stand a chance.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2012, 05:32:07 pm »

Agree with Mic; once Fabian tips his hand on turns 6 and 7 that he's going for money, I'd think that a Torturer chain would smother him. An engine can pick up lower VP quickly enough with Highway that falling behind on the Provinces is not such a big deal.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2012, 05:39:05 pm »

Not sure the torturers can hurt him so much:
3 curses are gone already.
He's got green and chapel, either he discards rather happily or takes the curses and chapels them away.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2012, 05:44:08 pm »

Not sure the torturers can hurt him so much:
3 curses are gone already.
He's got green and chapel, either he discards rather happily or takes the curses and chapels them away.

So you cap off your Torturer chain with a Militia.

Anyway the fact that your opponent has a lot of green doesn't mean that playing the engine will be ineffective. If he throws away a hand that was going nowhere in the first place, that's not a net loss for you. But say you play 2 Torturers and then hit him with a Militia: unless he has 2x Gold and 1x Silver, or he has a Torturer in hand and can blind draw coin, then he can't make $8. If he took Curses in order to Chapel them away, then he can't Chapel them away and do something else with his turn. So you can lock him down pretty easily. Even a poorly executed engine can make 8 Provinces and 4 Duchies in 17 turns, so even if Fabian didn't get attacked at all and still got 5 Provinces and a Duchy, you can beat that with 3 Provinces and 7 Duchies.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:46:24 pm by dondon151 »

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2012, 05:50:57 pm »

True. Poor thinking on my part then. Guess, I fell into this trap cause I wasn't hurt too badly from his torturer..

mrdudesir

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2012, 09:22:10 pm »
+6

mrdudesir defeats manzi 4-3

I'm as surprised as you are.

Game 1: 67-52. Double JOAT worked its magic, and I was able to get all 8 provinces before manzi could get enough victory points with Silk Road/Duchy/Estate.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-171307-37485a46.html

Game 2: 26-32. manzi outplayed me here. We both had a similar strategy, but he used Hunting Party earlier and to a better effect than I did. I should have purchased a HP instead of one of my early golds.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-171925-4cb7c9f1.html

Game 3: 27-46. Again, I got outplayed. Embassy was manzi's key early purchase, and I had no chance to catch up.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-173726-ae920371.html

Game 4: 34-43. This time it was manzi taking advantage of JOAT, beating me with a thinner and more efficient deck.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-173037-f38bc46d.html

Game 5: 47-37. We both had similar strategies, but I went with silvers to his native villages/oracles, and my laboratories gave me a card drawing edge with more money to draw.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-174508-8201fdfc.html

Game 6: 42-39. Really, really close game. Purchasing an Expand instead of a Forge resulting in me keeping my original estates. Haven let me manage my money between turns and inject an extra silver or copper to buy a province a few times. In the endgame, expand helped me get duchies without trashing an estate to do so, and my edge in estates was the deciding factor.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-175145-cbd9f760.html

Game 7: 33-27. Ironworks/Great Hall was a key early game combo. manzi purchased one more Ironworks than I did early, while I went on to buying caravans and Hunting Parties. Once I got my engine going, I was able to get ahead in provinces and then run out three piles with Ironworks while gaining extra estates.
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/23/game-20121223-175808-1c21d4a6.html

Excellent playing, manzi. I feel like I got really lucky.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:36:54 pm by mrdudesir »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2012, 09:44:45 pm »

!!!!!

Go, go mrdudesir! You can win this!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »
+4

In Round 4, (6)HiveMindEmulator defeats (3)quasi 4-2 (44-32, 34-45, 17-23, 43-35, 40-34, 55-41)

Game 1: quasi 32 - 44 HME
Key cards: Swindler, Witch, Hoard
quasi opens double Swindler to my Swindler/Silver and promptly gets a collision and delayed Witch. We then both go into Hoards, but he chooses to get more before greening while I green asap. His extra Swindles turn a couple of my Silvers into Develops, but I do get some use out of the Develops, trashing a Curse and turning a Hoard into a Duchy. In the end, we split Provinces, but I'm up on Duchies, Estates, and Curses.

Game 2: quasi 45 - 34 HME
Key cards: Steward, Mountebank, Salvager, Farmland.
This time I go for a double terminal opening. I don't get a collision the first time around but quickly find I have too many terminals. quasi's deck stays cleaner and he's able to get a lead that he can easily hold with Famland and Salvager to speed up the end game.

Game 3: HME 17 - 23 quasi
Key cards: Lookout, Bridge, Caravan, Highway, Mountebank, Festival, Peddler
With so much great Highway support around, I somehow miss the fact that Mountebank is in the kingdom until I see quasi buy one. I then decide that I should just skip it and go for broke with the Highways. But with half the Caravans and no Curses or extra Coppers, quasi doesn't have a problem closing out the game.

Game 4: HME 43 - 35 quasi
Key cards: Jester, Ambassador, Lookout, Border Village, Oracle, Vineyards
with 5/2, we both open Jester/nothing, but then quasi opts for a second Jester and a Silver, while I get a Border Village and 2 Ambassadors. He then adds Lookouts to non-terminally counteract the Ambassadors since he lacks villages, but I think I am able to keep better control of my deck. I get a bunch of Silvers to allow me to buy most of the Border Villages, gaining Oracles along with them to help draw. Then with a better action count thanks to the Border Villages and cycling with the Oracles, I add a Potion to pick up some 6 point Vineyards while still being able get my share of Provinces with my Silvers.

Game 5: quasi 34 - 40 HME
Key cards: Tournament, Stables, Possession
We both open Tournament/Silver, but with my first 6 I get Gold while quasi opts for Stables. He does end up getting the first Province and prize (Followers), but doesn't have enough money and is unable to buy Possession with his first 4 Potion draws! Since I'm able to get 3 fast Provinces, I decide to skip Possession altogether and barely manage to hold on for the win.

Game 6: quasi 41 - 55 HME
Key cards: Oasis, Apothecary, Monument, Golem
The final game is basically a mirror. We both open Oasis/Potion. My Potion falls to turn 5, but lands with enough money for a Golem, so I end up skipping Apothecary and am able to get in more Monument plays with Golem. It's close in the end, since either of us can get as many as 9-10 points in any given turn, but I end up with the overall better luck to close out the series.

This was a pretty interesting series since it lacked any real power engines and the games came down to smaller decisions. I was quite nervous the whole time -- either that or shaking from the cold since I'm too cheap to turn up the heat in my apartment :). Thanks to quasi for playing!

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »
+2

Round 5, HiveMindEmulator wins with 4 vs 3 Rabid

Really close match, first player winning all games expect the 7th!

Game 1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-112157-8399a354.html
Adventurer, Cartographer, Duke, Expand, Hamlet, Harem, Potion, Rabble, Scheme, Transmute, and Treasure Map

HME failed transmute into hamlet rabble Duke vs my Rabble BM.

Game 2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-114159-5242dca7.html
Bank, Black Market, Courtyard, Great Hall, Hoard, Horn of Plenty, Mint, Potion, Scheme, Vineyard, and Wishing Well

Very strange game, HME gets the turn 3 ambassador from the black market.
My scheme BM opening has BM as card 12 and I'm in real trouble.
I get chapel so I think I have a chance.
But before I can clean deck and start on the vineyards HME finishes it with a HoP mega turn.

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-115405-4d50dddd.html
Colony, Governor, Haggler, Mountebank, Oasis, Platinum, Potion, Royal Seal, Steward, Tournament, Trading Post, Transmute, and University
We both open Potion / steward.
I win the race to the combo of gov to draw deck, Followers to make them discard.

Game 4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-120200-f41eed69.html
Baron, Border Village, Cache, Chapel, Expand, Explorer, Ironworks, Moneylender, Monument, and Scout

HME goes for a nice border village monument very small deck.
I play this game terribly, opening ironworks!
Then trying all sorts of bad ideas instead of just chapeling down.

Game 5
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-121030-68ae1c3f.html
Crossroads, Familiar, Jester, Mandarin, Menagerie, Mining Village, Potion, Remodel, Salvager, Scrying Pool, and Wharf
With 5/2 starts I go for the obvious route of wharf + cross roads.
HME in the second seat opens jester.
And gets the dream draw of flipping my wharf on T3.
HME then diverts for familiars, while I stick to wharf + cross roads + mining village (Which I trash for a prov, then 3 pile the curses).

Game 6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-122152-4582ac3f.html
Apothecary, Chancellor, Farming Village, Hunting Party, King's Court, Native Village, Oracle, Potion, Smugglers, Trading Post, and Tribute
I keep it simple with chancellor HP as the only + gain is smugglers.
HME builds a nice Apothecary engine for the win.

Game 7
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/27/game-20121227-122744-7b3f69f2.html
Apprentice, Bank, Festival, Fishing Village, Fortune Teller, Horn of Plenty, Island, Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, and Tournament

As first player on a tournament board I liked my chances but it wasn't to be.
With golds on T4, 5, 6 I felt like I was ahead.
But maybe one of these should be apprentice?
HME wins the race to Province and immediately takes Followers and with it the match.

Thanks for the match HME good luck in the rest of the event.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 04:03:04 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2013, 02:28:01 pm »

My super-late comments on my match with Rabid (logs are 2 posts up):

Game 1:
When I see Rabid is just going Rabble+money, I'm sure he's made the wrong choice. But I react in the wrong way. I think I should get all the Hamlets so he can't change his mind, but really I should just get Rabbles and start attacking. If he changes his mind, he's behind anyway. But by delaying my attacking, I allow him to get enough of a lead to hold on.

Game 2:
Here there is Courtyard with no villages, attacks or +buy. So you'd think Courtyard+money looks good. But there is Black Market, Horn of Plenty (with Schemes and Wishing Wells to gain), and Vineyards and Great Halls to make you worry about losing to an engine that gets anything reasonable out of the Black Market. We both decide to go the Black Market route, and are really at the mercy of the Black Market draws. I get an Ambassador on turn 3, which puts me in great shape. Then I just need to find some sort of village to keep on top of my deck with the Horn-gained Schemes and I'm good to go. I just collect some more Horns and hit the Provinces. He got more villages (Walled and Throne to my Hamlet), but he had too hard a time trimming down since his Chapel came too late.

Game 3:
Here I make the mistake of getting a Haggler with my first University gain, thinking it would allow me to grab extra Tournaments. But then I just end up falling way behind on Governors, which are really the key here.

Game 4:
This is pretty straighforward. Rabid just tried to do too much with Ironworks and Explorer, when all you really want is Border Village, Monument, and maybe Scout.

Game 5:
Again, pretty straightforward Wharf/Crossroads should be best. This time I'm the one making the mistake of getting too much extra fluff. He's perfectly happy to take the Curses from Familiar and just Remodel them into more Crossroads.

Game 6:
Even though there is no +buy here, and the only trashing is Trading Post, there is too much good Apothecary support to pass it up. Oracle, Farming Village, Native Village, and Hunting Party can all dump junk off the top of the deck. With that support, Apothecary is a much better card-drawer than Hunting Party.

Game 7:
Here Rabid makes the classic error of getting too much Gold. Apprentice is really key for getting that first prize.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:48 am »
+3

Thanks for waiting another day, I figured out it's easier to find a time if you're ahead in time (which I wasn't for the first time). So it was Kristian Bahle vs lespeutere: 1-1-4

1-0
Crossroads, Envoy, Fool's Gold, Harvest, Remake, Scout, Spice Merchant, Spy, Trade Route, and Tribute
He goes first and proofs my consideration him going FG by a t1 spice merchant. For whatever reason I get a remake - well, in the very second I bought it, I figured it would thin my deck and make me connect FG more easily - but the next second I cursed myself for this most stupid way to start this match. He gets 6 FG and is able to connect them very reliably for the easiest win of this match, I guess: 43-30.

1-0
Baron, City, Ghost Ship, Laboratory, Library, Loan, Mint, Navigator, Tunnel, and Walled Village
We both go for baron/loan on this engine board. We both get some WV and 2 GS (me after a lab with my first 5$). I am able to trash my coppers more quickly than he is and he adds some silvers (4 eventually vs 0 for me) earlier than I add my golds (3 vs 1 for him) so my deck's thinner. However, he wins the lab split 6/4 due to his more consistent $ supply from the silvers. When he buys out labs, I get a city with 5$ on t17, while he gets a province and a city. I then get province and gold on t18, he gets ahead with another province, while I can double province on t19, getting ahead by 6 points. He reacts with duchy/city with 10$, being 3 points behind now which I guess should've been province/estate for him. I get a duchy only and now suddenly have degraded from a double province deck into one that stalls just too much. I'm still 6 points ahead, though with 3 provinces left, but considering his 6 labs and 2 cities vs my 4 and 1, respectively makes me feel a little shaky. He then buys a province for the equaliser. So, next turn I've got 10$ and one buy only, so I guess I was actually forced to buy a duchy. However, I buy a province, since I feel I have to make this game as short as possible. When I see him playing 5 labs, 1 city, 3 WV and 1 GS I again curse myself for this decision, but I turn out to be the lucky guy here as he doesn't draw his baron and ties with the last province. I'm still not sure what was the correct decision here as I felt pretty much between a rock and a hard place. I just got extremely lucky: 30-30.

1-1
Cellar, Fishing Village, Margrave, Moneylender, Oracle, Outpost, Royal Seal, Smithy, Trading Post, and Wharf
Another engine deck and it's pretty clear we go FV/moneylender for lots of wharves. None of us gets 5$ twice on t3/4, I actually get 2$ on t3 and 7$ on 4 getting cellar and wharf while he gets another FV and wharf putting him slightly ahead. I get my 2nd FV on t5 while he's able to play FV/wharf on t5 already enhancing his lead but then he gets 2 cellars for 4$ which I'm very unsure of. I have 7$ and 2 buys on t6 and decide to buy FV/smithy since I want to win the FV split. When he has 7$, he goes for wharf and yet another cellar. I add another wharf, he another FV which we share 3/3 now. I get a nice t8 with 8$ then for wharf and FV while he cellars himself to another 7$ and again wharf/cellar (his 4th) which now definitely should've been another FV+something (oracle/smithy). Next turn I have 9$ and buy up FVs getting me 7 while he has 3 only, limiting his wharfing(/yet to come margraving/outposting) dramatically. This lead I don't give up anymore, he gets gold/silver with 9$, I get gold/margrave, we both add wharves (1 for me, 2 for him) alongside another gold for him and an outpost for me, so it's only one wharf left. Then I get 15$ with enough buys so that I can't even use my outpost turn to pile out wharf and cellars for my 4th estate: 3-4.

1-2
Fortune Teller, Gardens, Goons, Harem, Horse Traders, Inn, Loan, Potion, Scheme, Trader, and Vineyard
This surely is going to be a gardens slog with 2 nice support cards for 4$ (trader and horse traders). As there is only inn for 5$ which I don't find too interesting in the early game, I decide to mirror his trader start being content with scheme or more traders for 3 and 4$ the next turns. T6 results in goons for me, one turn earlier than his. So we start trading and goonsing and at some point I'm looking at gardens and there are still 8 of them and I really like to be the one starting to grab them. So I do on t10, he can't on t11, so I'm up by 2 when I get my 2nd on t11. I win the split 5/3 and get more and more confident then. Estates have run pretty low as I had bought one early on and he some more. Then on t17 he turns the situation upside down pretty much by getting a province after we already got a duchy each. So it's not possible for me to try and pile the game out right now as he might as well get back on top with a goonsed duchy. So there is more scheming goons, getting a harem and slowly working towards depleting schemes. I get nice draws to consistently play goons late (t22-26) and am able to pile out for a comfortable looking victory that was hard fought: 52-62.

1-3
Bridge, Chapel, Fairgrounds, Farmland, Haven, Ironworks, Jack of All Trades, Potion, Salvager, Secret Chamber, and Transmute
I'm wondering whether I want to go double jack via jack/silver or single jack via jack/chapel (Or maybe start jack/haven? Someone having any experience with that?). When he starts with chapel for 2 coppers played one after the other, my decision to go double jack is boosted to avoid the total mirror and I get a silver. On t2 I'm pretty stunned by his silver. So I confidently go jack afterwards and get another on t3, a silver on t4 while he trashes down with his chapel. The game goes as expected, I get a lot of silvers more than he has but he's got the tighter deck and we're both able to grab provinces more or less every turn (t8-10 2 each for both of us). T11 gets him a salvager from his farmlanded chapel while I farmland a copper when I have 7$ only for a 1 point lead. He gets the fifth province and I the sixth via farmlanding a gold when I have 9$, giving me a 3 point lead. He salvages a farmland for double duchying and takes the lead back again (1 point) preventing me from savely getting the penultimate province. So we go duchy dancing (t13-16) which I actually don't fear as I have a lot more silver but he still retains his 1 point lead and has a haven which could work nicely for drawing exact amounts of $ and his salvager as a potential threat. I tie with an estate and we go estate dancing him getting the lead and me tying. On t18 he is able to set aside a gold (which I don't know at the time) and yet buy an estate but I am able to farmland my 2nd gold into a province taking a 7 point lead which should be very hard to overcome for him. He gets 7$ only, but even 8 for the province would not have been enough and he buys fairgrounds instead. Next turn sees me with 4 silvers and I close out the game: 37:48.

1-4
Bishop, Envoy, Farmland, Haggler, Hamlet, Outpost, Pearl Diver, Saboteur, Treasure Map, and Walled Village
I am not very sure which way I want to go from the start, considering silver/silver for more or less haggler/BM or go for some bishoping. When he starts envoy I know I definitely don't want to bishop his way free so I go silver/silver and get a haggler next as does he after having played envoy. On t5 he is already able to play WV/envoy/haggler for province/gold and I feel way behind. I play haggler for gold/envoy, get another gold but don't see either haggler or envoy until the last 5 cards of my shuffle (copper, haggler, envoy, 2 estates) whereas Kristian got his 2nd province in the meantime (ok, I got one, too, the turn before). I decide to not let them miss the reshuffle and buy silver/hamlet. At this point, my economy is more consistent with a lot more silver than he has while he invested in WVs which proof to be decent support for his envoys. However, as he had to spent quite some $ on the villages and envoys, I start to see my chances rise again. He still has the lead though when he gets a farmland and trashes an estate for his 2nd envoy, still being 1 point ahead after my 2nd province (t10). He gets a province on t11, while I can only afford a duchy, being 4 points behind now. He gets a duchy, too and I get the 6th province (t12), being 1 point down. He draws big on t13, getting him a province from farmlanding a gold into a 9 point lead, that I can only reduce by 3 with a duchy, him being 6 points ahead then with only 1 province left. However, his deck starts stalling significantly now while my silvers keep me alive and able to grab duchies much longer: t14 and 15 are estate/bishop for him, 2 duchies for me and suddenly it's only a 1 point lead for him (7$ on t15). He grabs a duchy as well on t16, but so do I (7$ again), haggling a bishop. He's then able to bishop a farmland giving a 3 point lead and buys a silver to improve his economy again. So do I on my turn. With 4$ he gets a WV (which I don't like too much) while I get the last duchy for the equaliser (t18). He buys yet another bishop while I have only 7$ again and farmland a copper into an estate, being 3 points ahead now. I start complaining about these 7$ hands and while he bishops a copper away to buy a silver I draw gold and 3 silvers with my envoy, adding the 3 silvers to silver/copper I have in hand for 9$ and the last province: 40-48.

It was a nice series, nice engine decks available, and even the (more) BM(ish) decks saw different approaches. Game 1 was played terribly by me, game 2 saw me getting very lucky but that kind of woke me up and I like how I played afterwards. I'm glad we eventually found our time for this match which I' like to thank Kristian for, it was an exciting and tight series. Hope to see/play you again (next year ?)!

ddubois

• Spy
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »

I went back and looked at this log more, and you didn't play that Herbalist until the last turn of the game when you had a million cards from a KC/Wharf.  So, basically what this suggests is Young Witch/- is better than Young Witch/Herbalist.... (or even, Young Witch/- is better than Wharf/- if your plan is to otherwise ignore Young Witch and eat 9 curses.)

As strange as it sounds to say this, I think sometimes I underestimate Wharf.  More than once my opponent has let me do something that would normally be suicidal, like letting me have 8-10 Minions while they buy Gold or "dumb stuff", but they just power through with Wharf for the win leaving me scratching my head.

So my current opinion is: It's probably "wrong" to have zero Tunnels in a game where you have all of: Lookout, Young Witch, Oasis, and Warehouse(the tunnel quadfecta!), but it's more wrong to pass up chances at KC with two Wharves in deck, and to eat 9 curses as your opponent did.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2013, 11:41:17 am »

I went back and looked at this log more, and you didn't play that Herbalist until the last turn of the game when you had a million cards from a KC/Wharf.  So, basically what this suggests is Young Witch/- is better than Young Witch/Herbalist.... (or even, Young Witch/- is better than Wharf/- if your plan is to otherwise ignore Young Witch and eat 9 curses.)

As strange as it sounds to say this, I think sometimes I underestimate Wharf.  More than once my opponent has let me do something that would normally be suicidal, like letting me have 8-10 Minions while they buy Gold or "dumb stuff", but they just power through with Wharf for the win leaving me scratching my head.

So my current opinion is: It's probably "wrong" to have zero Tunnels in a game where you have all of: Lookout, Young Witch, Oasis, and Warehouse(the tunnel quadfecta!), but it's more wrong to pass up chances at KC with two Wharves in deck, and to eat 9 curses as your opponent did.

I opened Herbalist because I thought he would go -/YW. If he had already bought the Wharf, I wouldn't have bought the Herbalist.

I still don't know when I would have bought a Tunnel. Probably later if I wasn't going to be able to end the game with a win on turn 13. Because adding Gold is simply not a priority at all compared to getting KC/Wharf. And for buying KC/Wharf, Quarry is better than Gold.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.