Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: Thief Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 75509 times)

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
Re: Thief Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2012, 05:23:11 pm »
+6

Round 3, Fabian wins 4-1 over MrEevee

Game 1 Fabian resigned - 42 MrEevee
We both open 5/2, and Eevee goes Pawn/Jack while I go Bazaar/Pawn. I try to build more of an enginey thing, with the idea of buying and playing lots of Noble Brigands. The plan works well in the sense that I'm able to play lots of Brigands and eat most of his treasure (at one point in the mid/late game I have 5 Gold 8 Silver to his 5 Silver), but it's basically a turn too slow, and Eevee gets one Province too many.

Game 2 Fabian 36 - 18 MrEevee
I open Apprentice/nothing to his Potion/Silver. I think Alchemist/Outpost is too slow here, as I imagine a Walled Village/Horse Traders deck will be in a very good position once you get one Peddler and Apprentice to collide. I get two WV and two HT, and when I'm able to draw my deck, I can start buying Province and more Peddlers pretty consistently, ending with 6 Province in 14 turns.

Game 3 Fabian 23 - 3 MrEevee
Stupid Native Village/Bridge mirror. I don't know anything about the theory here, but I get a Witch on turn 3 while Eevee opts for Bridge/NV instead with his Bridge play on turn 5. I think the Witch seemed to be pretty good, as it creates an important tie-breaker and also clogs him up a bit I guess. The nature of this matchup seems kinda random, but I draw pretty well I'm sure and don't have to start buying Silvers to catch up.

Game 4 Fabian 58 - 46 MrEevee
We both open Silver/Silver, and Eevee gets the perfect reshuffle with five Copper for the Mint into Silver/Silver/Copper/Copper for the Gold. His Gold and Mint also collide on the next reshuffle, while still getting to buy Province. "lol", I thought. I buy two Tribute, which do good work (as would be expected in a BMish mirror), and I start greening very early, while Eevee overbuilds his deck slightly. I'm very pleased with my pacing here, as I'm able to grab the lead on turn 16 with my vastly inferior deck, and then defend it until the green piles run out 10 turns later. Meanwhile, Eevee hits $8 on roughly sixty turns in the late game, but by then it's too late.

Game 5 Fabian 39 - 21 MrEevee
Eevee again goes for the Potion cards with a 4/3 opening, while I have 5/2 and go Stables/Crossroads. This board has no attacks and no +buy, so I feel like the Scrying Pool deck won't be able to do anything to catch up, and I feel extremely confident. After some turns of build-up, with my Border Village/Stables deck coming together much quicker, I have a comfortable 2-3 turn lead, and the kingdom offers nothing to swing it around, and while Eevee's deck can do pretty much anything it wants with this kingdom by the end, nothing in this kingdom is good enough.

Thanks for the games Eevee!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2012, 05:27:04 pm »
+3

Yeah, Fabian definitely deserved the win, I was lost on all the boards and generally just played a lot worse. I don't even know if I should comment because I just suck. The outcome had nothing to do with luck.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2012, 12:49:25 am »
+1

Go, Fabian, the Last Outpost of Team Sweden!

mokelly

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2012, 01:45:59 am »
+2

P.S. : Special thanks to my next opponent for busting my nemesis  ;D

D:

If I'm lucky, you guys will have a chance to play each other in Rat Division.   ;)

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2012, 03:20:08 am »

Yeah, Fabian definitely deserved the win, I was lost on all the boards and generally just played a lot worse. I don't even know if I should comment because I just suck. The outcome had nothing to do with luck.

It makes me feel better about my own loss to Fabian.
But you can still get your revenge in the losers bracket, for example by taking out the other Swede - Lekkit.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2012, 04:40:00 am »
+3

What kind of trash talk is this? There are a lot of us in the loosers bracket! And as soon as Fabian joins us we will be unstoppable! We will be the Noble Brigade of Swedish Marauders! Ruining statistic, skipping over Moats with our fat viking ships! We Pillage and conquer! The Spoils of the Rats division will go to us!

Disclaimer: I don't mean to say that the swedes are any worse players than the rest of the competitors, but I thought it was fun to write it like that. Also, I really wish Fabian the best of luck in the tournament. I'm rooting for him to win the whole thing.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2012, 05:05:20 am »

It makes me feel better about my own loss to Fabian.
But you can still get your revenge in the losers bracket, for example by taking out the other Swede - Lekkit.
Wait, I can still join?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2012, 05:12:26 am »

YEAH!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2012, 07:38:55 am »

And as soon as Fabian joins us we will be unstoppable!

Hey now :(

Also, I really wish Fabian the best of luck in the tournament. I'm rooting for him to win the whole thing.

Ok then :)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2012, 07:47:16 am »

Well, you should at least have something now that you missed the finals of the autumn/winter league. ;)

manzi

• 2012 World Champion
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:56 am »

Who is my opponent in round 3?

mrdudesir

• Pawn
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2012, 09:14:16 am »

TBH and I were supposed to play yesterday at 10AM. He never logged on, and I haven't heard from him since. I know he said he had a lot going on, so I don't want to force forfeit on him quite yet. What's the protocol here?

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2012, 09:19:18 am »

TBH and I were supposed to play yesterday at 10AM. He never logged on, and I haven't heard from him since. I know he said he had a lot going on, so I don't want to force forfeit on him quite yet. What's the protocol here?

forward a copy of the message of agreement from TBH to jonts26 and theory and include a link to you playing an isotropic game log at the agreed upon time. we've had to be a little lax on the weekly deadlines but we can't really push it back more than a day so you will likely just be awarded a forfeit.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2012, 09:48:29 am »
+1

If you communicated via PM, you can just click "report to moderator".

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2012, 12:33:25 pm »

Who is my opponent in round 3?

You're opponent is whoever wins between TBH and mrdudesir. There has been some miscommunication with them, but hopefully we will know who you will play by today.

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »

mrdudesir wins over TBH by forfeit.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2012, 01:11:22 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/15/game-20121215-133223-99d635b7.html
grobstein takes this very close game with Bureaucrat into Minions, beating my Mint into Minions. I was so close to stealing this with $7 on my last turn, nicely played game by grobstein.

I'm curious what everyone thinks about this. I feel like Mint is a poor choice, because with the limited Minion support, you actually need the treasures to make $8 (you can't do it all off Markets and collided Minions). But taking it to a greater extreme, is Bureaucrat into Minions generally good? Like if Rabid had not bought the Mint, would grobstein's strategy still be superior? Having all the Silvers allows him to start buying Duchies even before Provinces, and then just hope to hit enough Minion collisions to buy some Provinces. 4-card hands will almost always have $6, and sometimes $8, so colliding a single pair of Minions is enough and not all that unlikely even in the larger deck.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2012, 03:02:25 pm »
+1

Round 3: Rabid 4 vs victory 2

Game 1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-101255-26525920.html
Bank, Chancellor, Council Room, Counting House, Envoy, Ill-Gotten Gains, Loan, Masquerade, Moat, and Wharf
Nicely played game here from victory.
Playing the higher variance strategy from the 2nd seat of Envoy / Masq / Wharf / Bank.
Against my Masq / Wharf

Game 2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-102746-25751e25.html
Chapel / Workshop against Chapel Caravan.
On a board without + buy I use workshop to gain 8 caravans, I can then control the pace of the game with Bishop and Mountbank.

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-104443-c06d01e6.html
Bureaucrat, Colony, Golem, Inn, Laboratory, Library, Oasis, Oracle, Platinum, Potion, Royal Seal, Smugglers, and Vineyard
Really close game here, I draw slightly better late game to get a turn ahead.
Without + buy victory can equal the score (but lose on turns) several times.

Game 4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-105623-1bdaac6e.html
Apprentice, Bridge, City, Contraband, Duke, Farming Village, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mine, Scout, and Shanty Town
We both go for  Mine + IGG.
I get several poor draws mid game so fall behind in the race for IGG / Duchy.
So decide to go for the Apprentice + city + bridge fuelled gamble.
I make the game exciting with a double prov turn 20.
But its not quite enough.

Game 5
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-111338-d05799f8.html
Adventurer, Colony, Farming Village, Goons, Highway, Militia, Oracle, Platinum, Smugglers, Trade Route, Treasury, and Warehouse

I have no idea what to open here.
Hardest opening of the match I think.
I get out played thought the game.
But manage to steal the win with a good draw at the end.

Game 6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-113141-6c781d53.html
Adventurer, Black Market, Bridge, Chapel♦, Embassy, Expand, Fortune Teller, Horse Traders, Inn, Vault, and Young Witch

I go for the safe option, Chapel / Vault + Gold
But I think Inn / Chapel might be better. (do you shuffle in just chapel or inn as well?)

Thanks for the exciting match victory, I really enjoyed it.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2012, 03:46:41 pm »
+1

Round 3: Rabid 4 vs victory 2

Game 1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-101255-26525920.html
Bank, Chancellor, Council Room, Counting House, Envoy, Ill-Gotten Gains, Loan, Masquerade, Moat, and Wharf
Nicely played game here from victory.
Playing the higher variance strategy from the 2nd seat of Envoy / Masq / Wharf / Bank.
Against my Masq / Wharf

Game 2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-102746-25751e25.html
Chapel / Workshop against Chapel Caravan.
On a board without + buy I use workshop to gain 8 caravans, I can then control the pace of the game with Bishop and Mountbank.

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-104443-c06d01e6.html
Bureaucrat, Colony, Golem, Inn, Laboratory, Library, Oasis, Oracle, Platinum, Potion, Royal Seal, Smugglers, and Vineyard
Really close game here, I draw slightly better late game to get a turn ahead.
Without + buy victory can equal the score (but lose on turns) several times.

Game 4
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-105623-1bdaac6e.html
Apprentice, Bridge, City, Contraband, Duke, Farming Village, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mine, Scout, and Shanty Town
We both go for  Mine + IGG.
I get several poor draws mid game so fall behind in the race for IGG / Duchy.
So decide to go for the Apprentice + city + bridge fuelled gamble.
I make the game exciting with a double prov turn 20.
But its not quite enough.

Game 5
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-111338-d05799f8.html
Adventurer, Colony, Farming Village, Goons, Highway, Militia, Oracle, Platinum, Smugglers, Trade Route, Treasury, and Warehouse

I have no idea what to open here.
Hardest opening of the match I think.
I get out played thought the game.
But manage to steal the win with a good draw at the end.

Game 6
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-113141-6c781d53.html
Adventurer, Black Market, Bridge, Chapel♦, Embassy, Expand, Fortune Teller, Horse Traders, Inn, Vault, and Young Witch

I go for the safe option, Chapel / Vault + Gold
But I think Inn / Chapel might be better. (do you shuffle in just chapel or inn as well?)

Thanks for the exciting match victory, I really enjoyed it.

2de game: I thought in my chapelled deck mountebank will do no harm; I will just discard a curse, but there was a village too...
    ...and making mountebank stack. I completely lost here just due attacks as i was 3 colony lead here.

5d game: indeed really diffucult how to open. I tend to look at the more experienced player, but apparently he didn't know what to open either!  (warehouse/silver/smugglers/militia)

6d game: don't try to build a bridge/inn. I had to learn it the hard way...
Yes opening chapel/inn lets you trash nicely- a good chance trashing 3 estates.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:48:17 pm by Zappie »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:24 pm »
+2

In Round 3, (6)HiveMindEmulator defeats (11)BadAssMutha 4-1 (resign-32, 37-35, 51-26, 46-41, 31-6)

Game 1: HME resigns, BadAssMutha wins
Key cards: Masquerade, Witch, Goons, Walled Village, Golem
I make the mistake of thinking Masquerade won't trash fast enough for a Goons engine to beat Masq BM, and boy was I wrong. BadAssMutha smoothly builds up his engine for an easy win.

Game 2: HME 37 - 35 BadAssMutha
Key cards: Courtyard, Militia, Tactician
Here I basically go Courtyard BM. He opens Militia to slow me down while going for Tacticians. I draw pretty horribly and he gets off to a nice lead, but then he draws poorly in the end and can't quite finish it off.

Game 3: BadAssMutha 26 - 51 HME
Key cards: Baron, Chapel, Scrying Pool, Vineyards, Border Village
Having gone for Big Money strats the first 2 games, I'm feeling like a bit of a noob, but then turns up a Scrying Pool/Vineyards board. Time to get my engine on! He, however, is turned off that the only coin-producing action is Baron and makes the mistake of trying to just Big Money this time. I use a bunch of Barons and a single Estate to produce a lot of money to buy a bunch of Border Villages and more Barons, then eventually get a bunch of Vineyards and cutely end it by Farmlanding the Vineyards into the last of the Scrying Pools.

Game 3: BadAssMutha 41 - 46 HME
Key cards: Trading Post, Witch, Tactician, Bank, Duke
With 2/5 openings, He opens Herbalist/Witch to my Herbalist/Trading Post. We then both go into some form of Tactician/Bank, but he goes for Provinces while I go for Duchies. By avoiding Provinces, I stretch the game out enough that the Trading Post really starts to pay off, and having won the Duchy split 7-1, I'm in pretty good shape. Still, he's only a good Tactician draw away from winning it. Fortunately for me, he doesn't get it and I can buy the last 2 Provinces for the win.

Game 3: BadAssMutha 6 - 31 HME
Key cards: Young Witch, Wharf, KC, Quarry, Tunnel, Warehouse
On 2/5 he goes for nothing/Wharf, while I go Herbalist(bane)/YW. My thinking is that goal #1 is to mass Quarries and I don't need the Wharf quite yet for that. He decides to go into Warehouse/Tunnel while I just collect Quarries. Eventually I'm able to get a Wharf and KC, which snowballs very quickly with 3 Quarries. I have to be a little careful about piles, on my second-to-last turn, but other than that it's smooth sailing.

This was an interesting series as none of the games turned into mirrors, and there were a few beastly engines. Thanks to BadAssMutha for playing!

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2012, 01:01:06 am »
+1

Round 3, quasi 4 samath 2

This was easily the best series I've played in, including last year's tourney.  Some really interesting boards here (games 2-5), and samath played really well.  I'd definitely be interested in strategy for a particular board, see below:

Game 1: quasi 38 samath 22
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-200535-349142d1.html
I think I had some nice draws in this game.  Everything was clicking for me.  Not an especially interesting game.
Game 2: quasi 42 samath 46
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-202234-1212af78.html
As second player in a game with governor and with samath playing efficiently, I knew I was in trouble.  Needed one more action card to sneak out a win via vineyards.  A very fun game.  It's possible that a slight tweaking of my strategy could have produced a win, but we both played well and I ended up down.  I bought the last province, which I think was the right play, albeit I didn't have a count on my actions.
Game 3: quasi 29 samath 40
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-204557-51e3bf03.html
I somehow had a chance to win this at the end, but I definitely got outplayed in this one.  Minion cycles better than nobles by precisely one card and attacks, and I think buying minion was the right move.  Once samath had three posessions, I was feeling quite sad.  Samath remarked on how useful the trade route was, and I'd have to agree. 
Game 4: quasi 54 samath 46
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-210840-40d26e14.html
A very interesting board.  It has scrying pool, with no other +1 actions, and no other buys.  It also has duke and ghost ship.  I decide to buy tons of scrying pools, and leverage the large number of vps on the board while pinning samath every turn.  I'm not sure what the best strategy is on this board is, and a lot of the strategy depends on reacting to how your opponent is buying victory cards: I ended up blocking samath on duchies, and going for provinces, which is somehow the opposite of what you would think would happen.  Anyone have an opinion on this game??
Game 5: quasi 60 samath 56
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-213239-0f904102.html
An interesting board, although somehow it doesn't seem that way at first.  I ended up going with the old "have exactly how much money you need in your deck to buy the green card" strategy.  Samath opened walled village/fortune teller, a strange opening to me.
Game 6: quasi 36 samath 22
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/19/game-20121219-214206-bf32cf10.html
An anticlimactic embassy big money game.  Samath opened upgrade over embassy, which hurt him in my opinion.

Overall, a great series.  Thanks samath.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:02:31 am by quasi »

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:42 am »

Great games, quasi. Some comments from me:

Game 1: I just got outplayed. Apothecary was good, but once he opened potion I decided I needed to find something else, and failed.

Game 2: That would have been an epic comeback. Just one more action card and he wins by 1. I was honestly shocked that he came so close -- governor usually ends the game quickly.

Game 3: Yeah, the problem with triple-possession turns was that your deck couldn't get me more than $4 most of the time.

Game 4: I tried to go ghost ship-BM, but got $5 on turns 5-9 after buying a ghost ship for $6 on turn 4. >.< Later, I went duchy/duke because I figured my larger BM-style deck would be able to handle the additional VP more than his could, but I was slightly wrong. Also of note: This was a ridiculously long game. He played 115 (!) scrying pools.

Game 5: We each built our decks just good enough before rushing colonies, then hit the penultimate colony rule and started buying provinces. His deck faltered first, so I picked up the penultimate colony to take a 12 point lead, but drew my green on the next turn. Definitely a nail-biter.

Game 6: Yeah, embassy is better there. But still, you shouldn't expect to be able to play the embassy you buy on both turns 3 and 4...

Agreed, 2-5 were some of the best games I've played in.

KristianBahle

« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2012, 06:02:27 am »
+2

Round 3, KristianBahle vs. mokelly :

Game 1 :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/20/game-20121220-000204-981cb3fd.html

Curious game where Goons and tunnels were embargo'ed, but it was probably still worth it to buy at least one goons now that I think about it. I got totally brained by that pirate ship, didn't even bought a platinum but a labo instead, ended-up way way behind on the money and lost. 0-1

Game 2 :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/20/game-20121220-001608-846af795.html

Double ambassadors opening from both sides, and then mass Jesters. I was embarrassed with my choices over the green cards buys, not knowing which way to go... I ended up winning it but it was a nail-bitter in the end, taking those 5 curses from the buffoon ! 1-1

Game 3 :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/20/game-20121220-002842-548938db.html

Mass torturers, bleh, boring. My silver/quarry won over mokelly's silver/jack opening, not much more to say. 2-1

Game 4 :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/20/game-20121220-003626-256d3ced.html

Highway/City/Woodcutter fest ! The key choice was buying woodcutter over the too slow trade route which gave me a good cushion. 3-1

Game 5 :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/20/game-20121220-005519-e2b0058a.html

What a puzzling game, I didn't know what to open to mokelly's witch/NV, I went for the Jack, and then I was stuck every turns with my choices, didn't really know what to do, and I paid it with a loss. 3-2

Game 6 :

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/20/game-20121220-010056-d0934a24.html

Horrible game where everything went too fast and in the right order for me, a slaughter featuring university, golems, wharves and banks. Mokelly couldn't do much more other than resign and it ended the match on a sour note, would have liked it better to finish it with an epic one but oh well, round 4 here I come ! :)

Final result : KristianBahle 4- 2 mokelly

Well played mokelly and see you around the corner on iso someday !

K.

mokelly

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2012, 06:18:56 am »
+1

Thanks for the great match, KristianBahle!  Game 6 was definitely all in the shuffle, but it's hard to complain when most of the other games came down to skill.  Your analyses seem on target to me.  I would add that in game 3 I first haggled for Gold/Torturer, rather than Torturer/Farmland, and I think that cost me any shot at victory.  Congratulations, and good luck with the rest!

alex

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
“Nothing is more important than that you see and love the beauty that is right in front of you, or else you will have no defense against the ugliness that will hem you in and come at you in so many ways.”
― Neal Stephenson, Anathem
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.