Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Thief Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 75501 times)

MrZNF

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Thief Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 03:47:26 pm »
+1

Hi all, this is my first time entering a tournament and I wanted to post me (MrZNF) and my opponents (JeremBG / Jéjé) current games played;

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-114602-c982b578.html    Loss (I start)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-120928-89464603.html    Loss (He started)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-121852-d8ee7fad.html            Win (I start)
MISSING LINK                                                              Win (He started)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-123428-dc0cc053.html    Win (I start)

I´m missing the link to our fourth game and my opponent has only made text copies of the logs. I hope that´s okay still. I also noticed we did something wrong, we kept alternating the one who starts instead of letting the loser go first. Also am hoping that this won´t be a problem. We´ll be playing the last game(s) on Thursday.

Thanks a lot for organizing this tournament, it has already been a nice experience!

Ipnotaizig

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 08:20:43 pm »
+1

Ipnotaizig  4 - 2 vichu

Game 1: vichu resigns
We both open Haggler/Crossroads, even though the Haggler probably won't be all that useful without spammable actions beside the Throne Room (which should be carefully balanced). Still, the +2$ comes in handy and some treasure can be obtained, all the while enabling those late Colony + Platinum. We take a different approach on the Mint, since vichu gets it from the Haggler without thinning the deck, while I decide to get rid of the 4 coppers, which gave me great advantage but only because I was very lucky hitting the 6$ on turn 7 after making two consecutive mistakes on turn 6: trashed the copper instead of estate, and bought Great Hall instead of silver. Still, this lucky Gold buy with a thinner deck put me well ahead and went on to such a great advantage that vichu resigned on turn 15, when I had 2 Colonies + 5 Golds + 3 Platinums against his 1 Copper + 4 Golds + no Green

Game 2: vichu 28 - 44  Ipnotaizig
In this game I believed the Warehouse could be a good enough enabler and decided Baron was worth the risk while vichu played safe with the salvager. I hit the Baron for the Gold on turn 3, and then the game becomes pretty straightforward. vichu was very aware of how it was going and tried to Duchy it out but not much could be done.

Game 3: vichu  23 - 30  Ipnotaizig
In this game I had a hard time deciding whether to start with Mountebank or Ghost Ship. I went for Mountebank thinking it would be good to have a headstart in the curse race while the extra cards would delay vichu's Ghost Ship cycling, but alas I thought poorly. vichu showed his greater experience managing a great Ghost Ship control to hit me most turns, while I kept fumbling on the Inn buying times. Yet, I eventually realized that Wishing Well was a soft counter to the Ghost Ship and managed to acquire some decent treasure to deal with the small hand sizes. This allowed me to eventually get ahead enough that I had sufficient advantage to try and end the game on piles - which led me to the first time I ever Apprenticed a Province just to hope to get some 3$ more in order to buy both remaining Wishing Wells, since I had the Woodcutter in hand for +Buy and the point lead secured.

Game 4: vichu  47 - 23  Ipnotaizig
I started this game pretty horribly when I was like "Oh joy, he masqueraded me the estate I needed to combo with my Baron" and then somehow brain-freeze and play the masquerade, believing I'd be able to play the Baron en suite. Well duh. Thus I lost the possibility of an early 7$ turn to get the Expand, and then I also let my inexperience show by not realizing this was a Duke game, to be played with Duchies and Dukes, not money and Provinces. I got a glorious beating and a well deserved one, too.

Game 5: Ipnotaizig  2 - 15  vichu
I must have played this game very badly, but can't really comment since it was such a blur that I didn't even really manage to think it through. Somehow I managed to lose the Curse split 9 - 1, maybe all my Lighthouses were out of order due to some power shortage. Also I think I maybe went too much for the Minions early when I could have spent time buying more Lighthouses? Don't really know. Got knocked out too fast to even realize the pain.

Game 6: Ipnotaizig  48 - 46 vichu
A great game for a finisher! I started off pretty badly, losing the Curse race 6 - 4 despite having grabbed two Sea Hags, and soon found myself with a less efficient deck and already dearly behind on green cards. It must have been around turn 18 that I decided to activate my fallback plan (which I had pondered when I realized the +Buy from that Margrave could also come in handy for the vineyards), even though I couldn't get my first potion until turn 21. Then I went on trying to get another potion and as many actions as possible all the while trying not to give vichu an easy victory on piles and praying to manage enough vineyards before he'd get to that last Province. Surprisingly, the extra actions seemed to clear my deck up a bit, and I somehow managed the miraculous turnaround to win with a Province + Vineyard on the last turn, which I'd never had realized would be enough had I not had a point counter to rely on.

All in all, these were some fantastic games, vichu was a very good and gracious opponent (and I must have been a very lucky one), we both had a lot of fun and that's what really matters.

:D

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:48 pm »

Good games Howell! Best of luck in your Dominion and other travels.

Stealth Tomato 4 - 1 Howellmc (default rules; exception: no Potions)

Please don't read the game logs. I think I have the yips. It's going to be a quick exit for me this year if I don't get something seriously in order.

20:06 Stealth Tomato: we good with default rules?
20:06 Howellmc: sure
20:06 Stealth Tomato: if you have any proposals, go for it and I'll consider =P
20:07 Stealth Tomato: actually, I have a single proposal: no Potions
20:07 Howellmc: I'm OK with that

Stealth 37 - 20 Howell in which I make the world's most baffling Inn buy and win on ridiculous Jester luck
Howell 32 - Stealth 47 in which nothing particularly interesting happens
Howell 3 - Stealth 32 in which a double-Tac engine is built, slowly
Howell 36 - Stealth 19 in which using the Governors to draw pays off
Stealth 34 - Howell 32 in which many cards are drawn
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:18:49 pm by Stealth Tomato »

big layoutski

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 09:38:58 pm »

Big Layoutski/Brutalitops 4 - Hlennartz/Liberion 1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-173030-c90111a9.html
Brutalitops 110, Liberion 95
Colony, Council Room, Gardens, Golem, Hoard, Hunting Party, Island, Margrave, Platinum, Potion, Shanty Town, Stash, and Watchtower on the board. This one was a long race. My hunting party+Margrave enabled by Golem caught up to his early start with Margrave, Hoard, and Garden deck (cleaned by Island). Liberion had the lead for most of the game, but eventually the golems put together bigger turns than his hands full of gold.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-173935-93b911f4.html
Brutalitops 78, Liberion 60
Baron, Colony, Counting House, Feast, Gardens, Laboratory, Mandarin, Philosopher's Stone, Platinum, Potion, Rabble, Talisman, and Treasury on the board. Liberion used treasuries, lab,  and Mandarin to buy a lot of platinum. I use laboratory and baron with a few treasuries to put the pressure on early.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-175024-70e6e748.html
Liberion 40, Brutalitops 21
Bazaar, Expand, Gardens, Inn, Loan♦, Moneylender, Noble Brigand, Remake, Swindler, Tournament, and Young Witch on the board. I attempt to ignore young witch in favor of trashing with remake. It doesn't work out so hot. Liberion's moneylender gets him to $8 for the first province, and tournament carries the game.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/04/game-20121204-175747-701131de.html
Brutalitops 38, Liberion 29
Bank, Black Market, Laboratory, Militia, Monument, Peddler, Possession, Potion, Treasury, Vineyard, and Watchtower. We both open silver/monument, and both of us ignore the black market. This was not a spectacular game. We buy labs and gold. I buy a potion, but don't get the chance to buy possession. I get two $8 hands that are gold, silver, CCC, and that put me ahead.

I didn't get the fifth log. I won this game by a fairly hefty margin.
It was a colony game with goons, cities, smugglers, library, and silk road, and haggler. Mint, Militia and monument were also both on the board. I got the city break 6/4, and I picked up some libraries, which helped me recover from goons. Liberion picked up an early mint, at the cost of one of his silvers, but it didn't seem to help his cycling. My haggler helped me quite a bit.

Good games Liberion!

samath

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: SamE
  • Respect: +678
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 11:59:50 pm »

samath defeats menagerie a trois, 4-2!

Game 1
samath 50 - menagerie a trois 43
Torturer BM wins against a little less focused torturer BM

Game 2
menagerie a trois 45 - samath 46
Hagglers in a colony game narrowly beat out ventures with copper trashing from masquerade. Probably a bit of luck there, too.

Game 3
menagerie a trois (resigned) - samath 3
He got 1P in a familiar game. Scheme and hunting party ensured that he wouldn't be able to recover.

Game 4
menagerie a trois 69 - samath 38
I greened way too late. Also, embassy is an excellent choice with good big money (golds and plats) but I went for ventures.

Game 5
samath 32 - menagerie a trois 42
Doublejack beats an attempt at something cute with shanty towns and hagglers, despite getting 5/2 on the first four turns.

Game 6
samath 34 - menagerie a trois 24
A really fun game with TR, KC, conspirator, menagerie and oasis. Oh, and herbalist. Getting $18 with 1 buy never felt so good.

Interesting fact: Games 1-4 were all colony/platinum games, somehow. I estimate the chances of that as about 1/2000.

PS Game 5 seems to be misreported in the Challonge bracket, [EDIT and now Game 6 has been deleted?]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:29:33 am by samath »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 12:53:56 am »
+3

WOW those were good games!! Seven absolutely fantastic games and they were (almost) all tense throughout.

[MAD] Mergus defeats Dsell 4-3

Game 1
Dsell 46 - Mergus 21
Throne Room/grand market engines. My courtyard and early gold help me get to GM just before his Remakes. My throne rooms hit first too, and momentum carries me. Closer than the score indicates.

Game 2
Mergus 34 - Dsell 29
Interesting Library/FV/Uni engine. Super tense the whole game with some upgrade shenanigans. I should have won my last turn by gaining the last library but I didn't know I'd drain the Silk Roads. Still a bad bad error on my part in an otherwise fun game.

Game 3
Dsell 34 - Mergus 36
An awesome game that could've been a doublejack board if we weren't really focusing. Ended up being a highly interesting and close jack/Noble Brigand/Farmland/Silk Road game. Loved this game.

Game 4
Dsell 25 - Mergus 40
Least close of the games. I tried a masquerade-and-tournament-into-torturer-engine while he went a bit more directly for torturers. I liked my chances early but he roared back and had the far superior deck. Choosing prizes was really interesting on this board. I probably spent a half a minute or so trying to decide between Steed, Followers, or Princess the first time.

Game 5
Dsell 35 - Mergus 24
Another interesting use of Jack, this time building a draw engine with hamlet. I actually think his strategy's a little better (Black Market is good in Draw-to-X) but mine ramped up faster money-wise, and that gave me the edge.

Game 6 - Mergus 24 - Dsell 39
Awesome menagerie/oasis/conspirator engine. I liked my decision to use Moneylender more than Horse Traders early as it made my menageries hit SO MUCH. Horse Traders was a good addition later to let me keep building the engine as I picked up a province per turn.

Game 7
Mergus 35 - Dsell 25
Transmute was a key card!! This was a duke board with familiar and transmute thrown in there. I was surprised by his second potion buy but it worked out for him as he got a big familiar and thus curse lead. We split the duchies and the rest of the game was so close. Turn 23 I was $1 away from a province, which might not have changed anything, but it was depressing nonetheless to have to bring the game so close to ending.

These were great games and Mergus was an awesome opponent! I wish him the best in future rounds!

Edit: fixed a small error in game 2 analysis.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:50:14 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Mergus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 01:33:17 am »
+3

WOW those were good games!! Seven absolutely fantastic games and they were (almost) all tense throughout.

I can just agree that this set was a really fun one and it is these kinds of tournament games that provide a quality of online dominion that I otherwise don't experience very often in more casual games. After the tense second game I was ready for a break, but 5 more games were to come.

Game 3 was definitely a favourite, I liked how Noble Brigand played an actual role.

In Game 4 I was lucky to draw my province with the single tournament so early and get the princess, which provided the +buy that was really helpful to get a better deck in the long run.

Maybe I should have bought one more Hamlet in Game 5 to not let Dsell get 5 as well, but I am unsure about this one.

In Game 6 I was definitely outplayed, I assumed an early HorseTraders (my 2nd $4 card) would be better here, but I guess it was more important to get rid of the coppers.

I wasn't happy to see familiar in this last set, as I have had enough unenjoyable games with that card. Luckily it didn't turn out to be too decisive, though I think that getting the curse lead was necessary for me to be able to tie the duchies. I got my first Transmute a bit late and was worried that I wouldn't be able to split the Duchies. Then I was hoping for 5$ hands to get Dukes and I got good draws, Dsell's CouncilRooms helped a bit with that. If he had managed to hit a few provinces early on there would have been no way for me to catch up.

Thanks for the fun set!

TBH

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:31 am »

I still don't have a message from DIonized. I now need a TO to intervene. Thanks.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »

Lekkit - diablerie 4-0

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-110623-0e0bd785.html 24-22

First game was a pretty standard IGG game. Expand was present and we both got one. I was the only one who got a Remake, but I got it pretty late and didn't get to use it much. I got ahead in Duchies and went on to win from there.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-111122-689b9386.html 36-29

Hunting Party game with Mountebank. I go for a Mountebank first and skip Gold in favor of more HPs. I then grab a Fairground to have some kind of tie-breaker. I manage to pull through even though he had an early Province advantage.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-112126-8ba33748.html 96-29

I go for a pretty massive engine, grabbing a couple of early Swindlers. In the end I pull off quadruple Colony turns.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-112655-f98d1a4f.html 33-29

I go for Governor, and so does my opponent. I go for a more traditional variant remodeling golds, while he uses them as super labs. I manage to sneak out a win with Farmland shenanigans, when I was almost sure I had lost.

Thanks a lot, diablerie for playing. A really nice guy who I wouldn't mind playing again. Not only because I won. ;)

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 03:01:46 pm »

That's a pretty nasty game 3. Definitely a good University board there.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
+4

So here are the results of the first round clash of the Austrians.

Match result: Loppo (seed 21) 3-4 PitzerMike (seed 44)

Game 1: PitzerMike 24-10 Loppo
A colony game with many power cards Ambassador, Horn of Plenty, Jack of All Trades, Masquerade, Mountebank, Torturer, villages too. I think we were both overwhelmed so there was a little bit of indecisiveness on both sides. But my village-heavy torturer deck eventually got the upper hand allowing me to play my two ambassadors more often clearing out my deck. From there on there wasn't much Loppo could do against the torturer chain + HoP. I drained the HoP pile for the win.

Game 2: PitzerMike 37-31 Loppo
A kind of meh board with Fishing Village and Black Market but not much engine potential due to the lack of power cards. Both sides were kind of hoping to get something good out of the BM deck but I missed an early Witch from the BM because I only had 4$. Loppo got a Bishop out of the BM and gained a nice lead. I did what I could with what I had and for some reason won with a few lucky turns at the end I guess. I wasn't really happy with my play in this set, but I'll take a lucky win any day. The tables would turn anyway in the next set.

Game 3: PitzerMike 44-48 Loppo
This one had Ambassador, Fortune Teller, Horse Traders, Inn, Margrave, Monument, Pearl Diver, Rabble, Sea Hag and Possession. We both tried to make something happen by opening Horse Traders into Inns and the 5$ attacks. We both ignored Sea Hag due to the presence of Ambassador. The game quickly degenerated as we both got a second ambassador with noone really coming out ahead. Although we almost mirrored each other I somehow got a nice mid-game lead, not sure why. I was quite confident I could close it out when Loppo's desperation possession hit me with a province and an ambassador in hand. *ouch* I had totally forgotten about that.

Game 4: PitzerMike 32-43 Loppo
After the loss in game 3 and it being my first tournament and all I suddenly got really nervous. I tried big money on an obvious engine board and Loppo punished me like I deserved. Not sure what else to say, I definitely got outplayed in this one.

Game 5: PitzerMike 55-46 Loppo
This one was really nice with most notably Chapel, Outpost, Tactician and Colonies. While Loppo only added money to his Tactician and Outpost, my earlier Outpost also allowed me to add a few other cards (a Shanty Town, 2 Navigators and a Crossroads for the actions). This setup can be quite tricky due to the combination of Tactitian, Outpost and an extremely trimmed decked allowing for huge swings (discarding to Tactitian vs. having the Tactitian turn). The Navigators allowed me to get the most out of my final Tactitian turn securing the win with 2 Colonies + 1 Duchy bought.

Game 6: PitzerMike 36-40 Loppo
A double Jack mirror with Farmland and Minions on the board. I was pretty sure ignoring Minions was the right call on my part and was quite happy when Loppo added 2 to his deck. Everything went according to plan until I had a 9$ hand to buy the last province discarded by a Minion. After that my last three turns were quite terrible allowing Loppo to catch up with cute Farmland play for the win. I'm still not sure if Minions are the correct play here.

Game 7: PitzerMike 52-43 Loppo
Another BM board - at least that's what I thought - with Chapel being a trap and a little twist that was Trade Route. I opened Silver, Oracle. I think Loppo might have been looking for the engine at first judging from the Nomand Camp opening and because Nobles were there too. But he quickly followed me into BM too. We both added 2 Trade Routes in the mid-game as the game degenerated into a greening fest and Nobles made them 4$. But I felt I had a small lead throughout the whole game and rode it out to the end.

At the end I jumped up from my seat and screamed in joy. :)
Then I struggled with getting out my contact lens for like 15 minutes because I still was kind of shaky.
Then I got me a cold one which helped.

Overall I was really happy with the games and want to thank Loppo for the fun series. I was really nervous too so I hope it'll be better next week versus Fabian. I still see so many holes in my play but maybe that's just the Dunning–Kruger effect right there.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 05:59:37 pm by PitzerMike »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 06:43:35 pm »
+1

Game 6: PitzerMike 36-40 Loppo
A double Jack mirror with Farmland and Minions on the board. I was pretty sure ignoring Minions was the right call on my part and was quite happy when Loppo added 2 to his deck. Everything went according to plan until I had a 9$ hand to buy the last province discarded by a Minion. After that my last three turns were quite terrible allowing Loppo to catch up with cute Farmland play for the win. I'm still not sure if Minions are the correct play here.
I think Minion is the right choice there. What else would you buy with $5? Minion combos pretty nicely with Jack because if Jack is in the hand with Minion, it's essentially +$2+1 card, other wise it's either a Silver or lets you flip your hand (and attack -- though the attack can be defended decently with Jack), hopefully to find another Jack and refill back up to 5 cards. The only thing that can go wrong is if it's the card drawn by your Jack, which is a much lower probability occurrence than the beneficial cases.

Indur

• Swindler
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
“Memories are their own descendents masquerading as the ancestors of the present.”
--David Mitchell --

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 07:02:19 pm »

I think Minion is the right choice there. What else would you buy with $5? Minion combos pretty nicely with Jack because if Jack is in the hand with Minion, it's essentially +$2+1 card, other wise it's either a Silver or lets you flip your hand (and attack -- though the attack can be defended decently with Jack), hopefully to find another Jack and refill back up to 5 cards. The only thing that can go wrong is if it's the card drawn by your Jack, which is a much lower probability occurrence than the beneficial cases.

Well, there are Duchies to be gained for 5$. Well it probably was too early for that, but with Jack I'm never quite sure if there is such a thing as too early. Anyway, if the game we played is any indication, I guess I was wrong. :)

DESTROYER

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »

Hey everyone, happy to be joining you! I've been very excited about this tournament. Only problem is that my opponent, Loschmidt, hasn't responded to my PM yet. Sent it a couple days ago, looks like he hasn't been active since middle of last week. Figured I'd post to let the TOs know in case there's another way to get a hold of him; I'll edit if he sends me a message.

mokelly

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:17 am »

Destroyer, I'm in the same boat as you: no reply from my opponent, ckb.  Looks like I'll be thrust into the maw of Lekkit with my mettle untested...

[ Edit: We're now set up for Friday at 10pm PST! ]
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:20:36 pm by mokelly »

TBH

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 12:26:10 am »

Is there any way we can get confirmation from a mod that we're moving on, in spite of not having played our matches?

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 12:34:49 am »
+2

I am working on contacting the missing players. I am still giving some benefit of the doubt, but if I do not hear back by tomorrow or Friday, I will have to DQ them. Until then, sit tight. I'll update you.

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:07 am »
+1

BadAssMutha defeats Insomniac-X in a 4-1 victory!

Game 1:http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-202449-38612813.html
BadAss Mutha 69 - Insomniac-X 52
I win on Silk Roads after I get some good drawing going with Fishing Village - Embassy, with extra buys from Bridge. Insomniac seems like he's got Silk Roads in mind too when get starts buying Harems on every $6 and $7, but he ultimately ignores them and I wind up with 7 Silk Roads worth 5VP apiece.

Game 2:http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-203904-f32e7375.html
Insomniac-X 78 - BadAssMutha 12
An ugly game that really got away from me. I start out thinking I'm lucky since Insomniac's opening Young Witch doesn't hit me until Turn 9. But, I don't hit $5 for a long time, by which time he already has a Tactician and Goons (with extra buys from Workers Village), and is starting to beef up with highways. I try to dig myself out with Stewards, but the discarding from Goons makes it really tough to trash my curses.

Game 3:http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-204822-cdccb6a6.html
BadAssMutha 45 - Insomniac-X 37
I think I'm in serious trouble when the Duchy split goes 5-3 in this Duke game. I realize I have some time, however, when I see that we're not going to pile out anytime soon. I'm able to upgrade one of my Duchies to Gold to get some more buying power, and then just gobble up 2-point Dukes to deny them from Insomniac. I take enough of them away, and grab a few late-game Provinces with my still-functioning economy.

Game 4:http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-205527-151e1fbc.html
Insomniac-X 24 - BadAssMutha 42
I get slightly nervous when Insomniac buys a Province on turns 10, 11, and 12, but just then my highway-workshop-hunting party engine kicks into gear. In retrospect, I dodge a bullet when my opponent gets $7 on his last turn and can't buy the last Province for the win. I probably misplayed this and should have left 2 Provinces.

Game 5:http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/05/game-20121205-210617-a11fa111.html
Insomniac-X 70 - BadAssMutha 90
A high-stakes Colony and Possession game for our final match. I hit early Gold and keep on truckin', but start to worry that my economy is getting too good when Insomniac picks up some Possessions. I try to keep my deck opponent-unfriendly by picking up Monuments and Militias, and start greening. I am unable to play the Possession I buy on turn 14 until my final turns (30 and 31), by which it is a moot point.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 01:10:41 am »

I have one comment to add. In Game 4 I COULD have bought the Province. I chose not to because I would have ended it in a loss. I was first player and we would have the same score if I had bought out the last Province.
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

BadAssMutha

• Bishop
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 01:51:58 am »

Right, I always forget to subtract out the card you buy INSTEAD of the province...

Ipnotaizig

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 09:16:58 am »

Looks like I will have to be away from the country from 14 to 18 and that means no internet access (maybe also on the day previous and following). So I was thinking, if my potential opponents play their game anytime soon, can I try contacting them right away to speed up the playing of our next round and prevent problems related to my absence? Or is it mandatory to wait for the beginning of the round?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 09:48:31 am »

Yes, you can always play ahead of time.

Ipnotaizig

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 12:48:17 pm »

Yes, you can always play ahead of time.

Ok, thank you!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.