Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: Witch Division: Bracket and Results  (Read 92863 times)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Witch Division: Bracket and Results
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:11 pm »

^Not sure. It's at least close. 4th Province on turn 14, and still has 2 Estates. There might be cuter execution and things with Duchies. The deck has 2 Remodels, so there are chances to do good things. But I don't know how lucky the draws were, how the opposing Masq affects it, and what better execution a better engine-builder might be able to pull off.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2012, 03:26:48 pm »

^Not sure. It's at least close. 4th Province on turn 14, and still has 2 Estates. There might be cuter execution and things with Duchies. The deck has 2 Remodels, so there are chances to do good things. But I don't know how lucky the draws were, how the opposing Masq affects it, and what better execution a better engine-builder might be able to pull off.
The idea is... well there are two ideas. One is that masq is just about as far on turn 14 generally. The other is that against a player who is trashing so much, masq passing is almost like an attack.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2012, 03:33:42 pm »

Yeah, I don't think an engine would beat Masq/BM on that board.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:34:55 pm by popsofctown »

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2012, 03:34:43 pm »

The idea is... well there are two ideas. One is that masq is just about as far on turn 14 generally. The other is that against a player who is trashing so much, masq passing is almost like an attack.
Well Masq on turn 14 can get 4 Provinces, but with its Estates gone. And I think this can probably Duchy-dance better since it has Farming Village and Remodel. But yeah, the Masq "attack" is a reason for concern. As the draws came out here, I don't think it would have hurt, since there is a Copper in every hand until 15, at which point a Hamlet is expendable.

To be clear, I'd probably have gone Masq BM here too, but wouldn't be surprised if one of the top players played this engine better and won.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 03:36:25 pm by HiveMindEmulator »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:17 pm »

Well Masq on turn 14 can get 4 Provinces, but with its Estates gone. And I think this can probably Duchy-dance better since it has Farming Village and Remodel. But yeah, the Masq "attack" is a reason for concern. As the draws came out here, I don't think it would have hurt, since there is a Copper in every hand until 15, at which point a Hamlet is expendable.

To be clear, I'd probably have gone Masq BM here too, but wouldn't be surprised if one of the top players played this engine better and won.

Masq player can do a little stuff, particularly a second masq at an opportune moment, but I would also say that yeah, I am sure there's some enginey thing that can at least pick up 30% of games off masq/BM, but I doubt it's more than 70%.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 18, 2012, 03:48:33 pm »

I bet there's something at least close to 50-50, but the problem is that the execution is tricky, since there are more decisions to be made. As a result, you're more likely to mess up then engine than to mess up Masq BM, which is why in a tournament setting, I'd go with BM, but I'm intrigued by the engine possibilities.

LordHedgie

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
    • The Hedgie Web
« Reply #156 on: December 18, 2012, 05:45:22 pm »
+1

Hey Lord Hedgie, you should have still bought those P Stone's even though they were embargoed, it only makes your deck bigger. But, what do I know, you killed Marin.

You're probably right. But as soon as I saw the embargo, I was so busy kicking myself I wasn't thinking straight. I had no idea that match would even be that close.

And Qvist, I'm not anyone's alt account.... I don't play online much, and when I do, I generally don't do well because I get easily distracted and stop paying attention. :) If I helps, I picked up third in the PAX Prime Dominion tournament the year before last; I didn't go last year. Glad I made you feel a little better, though.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 18, 2012, 06:33:04 pm »
+1

Hey Lord Hedgie, you should have still bought those P Stone's even though they were embargoed, it only makes your deck bigger. But, what do I know, you killed Marin.

You're probably right. But as soon as I saw the embargo, I was so busy kicking myself I wasn't thinking straight. I had no idea that match would even be that close.

And Qvist, I'm not anyone's alt account.... I don't play online much, and when I do, I generally don't do well because I get easily distracted and stop paying attention. :) If I helps, I picked up third in the PAX Prime Dominion tournament the year before last; I didn't go last year. Glad I made you feel a little better, though.

I didn't want to offend you. I basically just made a joke. Quite the contrary, I was basically holding you in high regard.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2012, 06:35:58 pm »
+2

Plot twist: he is Marin's alt account.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2012, 06:45:41 pm »

Beating Marin is very impressive, congrats!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 18, 2012, 09:48:16 pm »

The problem with executing that engine is that the card draw on that board is rather insufficient. This compounds the Masquerade problem, since the engine needs every card it has in order to draw itself.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2012, 10:28:19 pm »
+3

In Round 3 Mic Qsenoch wins 4-1 over greatexpectations

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-182059-d4975706.html

Scrying Pool/Possession/Nobles/Baron/Jester/Haven
It looks like an obvious Scrying Pool board to me, but my opponent uses Jester quite nicely to slow my deck down and make my Possession turns a little riskier (I am probably a little overcautious on not playing Jester on his turn). He greens hard once I have Possession. Close for a long while but I get a couple of Provinces at the end to more or less seal it. I think the engine is a must here, but it was closer than I expected. It could be that I should just ignore Possession and look to build my engine a little better.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-183206-15823f07.html

He tries P stone, which I Embargo (not such a strong move against P stone, but I think still correct). I go for the Minion engine looking to get stuff out of a loaded Black Market and I have basically perfect luck with the market. I have perfect Saboteur luck targeting down P-stones and Potions. I pull everything from the market that lets me keep getting Minions despite the pile being Embargoed. Not sure how this turns out with more balanced luck, but I still like my strategy. The Black Market was really really good.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-184448-d0187486.html

Tournament/Tactician and Fairgrounds here. Fairgrounds will be 6 points easily. Not sure if Followers is the best first prize but I take it. Close game, not really sure the best way to play the board. Could do a lot more engine building than either of us did.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-185141-86977120.html

Horse Traders/Stables/Ghost Ship/Apprentice
More or less mirror with him getting Stables on first $5 and I get Ghost Ship. I don't have any idea what $5 is best to start with here. He has a little better luck with Horse Traders and Ghost Ship, and he uses Apprentice perfectly to maintain his early momentum and win.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/18/game-20121218-190549-3c56eaa5.html

University/Scrying Pool/Torturer/Goons/Courtyard/Forge/Saboteur/Moneylender
Lots of things, not enough villages. We both err pretty badly by not getting a second Potion early, since the only things you really want to buy are University/Scrying Pool for a long time. Neither of us play this particularly well. I think I win here because he doesn't ever get a Scrying Pool and he clogs his deck with Saboteurs.

Thanks for the match greatexpectations.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 10:35:41 pm by Mic Qsenoch »

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2012, 11:06:34 pm »
+3

i got roughed up by mic q. i certainly did not play well, but the luck gods weren't exactly smiling on me either. i was a bit more surly than usual so props to mic q for putting up with me.

Game 1: i think both SP and possession are weak here, but he makes it work. unfortunately, i have little competitive experience with possession. (i vetoed it for a while, and these days lots of people turn it down too) i see his open and decide to jump to a lead and bloat. a little lazy, but i figure that he would have to drain pearl divers, and i could aim to end on piles while ahead. i open cutpurse/silver, as it hurts him early and it hurts him while possessed. grumble #1 for me is when cutpurse falls to turn 5 and i can't hit $5 until turn 5. slows down my early buying power, i can't build enough of a cushion, and that's that. i could have won it with a lucky jester hit late in the game, but no dice there and he did well in cursing me pretty heavily with SP/jester.

Game 2: engine potential here, but also some counters to make a mess of an engine mirror. i underestimate the engine and opt for a messy p-stone deck with cache. he likely takes it in the end anyway, but getting sab from the black market and killing my BM and a p-stone by turn 10 of rubs it in.

Game 3: tournament/woodcutter mirror open. i draw $4/$4/$4 and he has a province the same turn i finally hit $5. gg.

Game 4: lady luck favors me and lets me salvage a little of my pride. i hit $5 turns 3-5 and cruise from there.

Game 5: mic q covered it well enough. i would have loved some scrying pools too, i just didn't have the coin in my potion hands. i think what hurt me most was turn 3. i opt for a courtyard, while he goes silver. early cycling is nice, but it hurt my economy, and he hit $6, $7, and $8 price points before i did.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:29:08 am by greatexpectations »
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 19, 2012, 09:06:15 am »

once again I have a time zone issue - hoping to play my game this weekend sometime, or maybe on friday.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 19, 2012, 11:05:57 am »

once again I have a time zone issue - hoping to play my game this weekend sometime, or maybe on friday.

I am forfeiting my match to ddubois
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:46 am »
+1

What happen?

SphinX

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:58:01 pm by SphinX »

playing bla bla bla...

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2012, 01:32:42 pm »
+1

Playing... 2  - SphinX 4

Being the loser, i would have to speak about lucky draws or other things... You know losers have always bad draws!
but no... sorry
 there were really close games, but SphinX  just played it better than me

Congrats and good luck for your set with WW!

thank you for this tournament that was the first one for me, and i liked it!

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »
+2

What happen?

Somebody set up us the bomb.
Main screen turn on ...

Master Shuffler

• Chancellor
  • alts: Copy Me and Win, GOJIRA
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »

What happen?

Main screen turn on ...

Maybe he REALLY doesn't like complainers. I think that was his issue with Marin anyway
byebye iso

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2012, 07:35:34 pm »

Naaah, he is just taking a break from things apparently.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2012, 08:05:56 pm »
+1

What happen?

Main screen turn on ...

It's you!

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2012, 01:43:59 am »
+2

What happen?

Main screen turn on ...

It's you!

HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!

KristianBahle

« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2012, 06:27:08 am »
+1

How did marin lost 4-2 ?  :o I don't get why he's not the one going for crossroads/great hall in the last, he's not the guy you expect to go BM blindly...  ???
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.