Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Final Entry List: 2012 DominionStrategy.com Championships  (Read 19617 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Final Entry List: 2012 DominionStrategy.com Championships
« on: December 02, 2012, 08:03:32 pm »
+2

This is the final entry list for the 2012 DominionStrategy.com Championships.  The brackets can be found here.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Final Entry List: 2012 DominionStrategy.com Championships
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 08:13:54 pm »

I'm curious as to why manzi, olneyce, and RisingJaguar are seeded so highly.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:15:37 pm »

Presumably: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1406.0

Though I'm not sure why WW isn't also bumped up.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
+2

I'm curious as to why manzi, olneyce, and RisingJaguar are seeded so highly.
Presumably: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1406.0

Though I'm not sure why WW isn't also bumped up.

The finalists + the winner of the third place match get a top seed.  Those three, plus the highest ranked player otherwise, are sorted as the first four seeds.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:48:01 am »

I don't see myself in there, so I guess I didn't make the cut. :( oh well, good luck everyone!

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:34:57 am »

Are Kyrion (#114) Kirian (#119) the same person or is it just a mad coincidence that two players with such similar names are so similarly ranked?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:50:00 am by Piemaster »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 08:21:43 am »

Shoot, if I were two positions higher, I'd have been playing my housemate in the first round :(.

And I COULD have gotten a few positions higher if I really tried, as my uncertainty is still pretty high.

Oh well, maybe it's for the best.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:35:05 pm »
+3

I always find it really interesting, which players are the ones to fear at the top.

Like, I don't feel so afraid of facing like an olneyce or a Mic Qsenoch (who I did beat in round whatever of the Isodom Challenge). Similarly, I'm not totally out of my element with ednever and sharky (who I've played in real life) or Frisk and Eevee (who I interact with everyday in Forum Games). And I beat julie in like one game the other day, I don't know if I've ever played her before that.

On the other hand, jonts, WanderingWinder, and Stef routinely destroy me. No one scares me as much as Bonogi, though. I've beaten him maybe once? And I've played him a lot, a lot a lot.

Marin would beat me 100% of the time if Marin was trying, but sometimes I think Marin isn't playing to win, Marin is building a work of art.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:18:43 pm »
+2

I always find it really interesting, which players are the ones to fear at the top.

Like, I don't feel so afraid of facing like an olneyce or a Mic Qsenoch (who I did beat in round whatever of the Isodom Challenge). Similarly, I'm not totally out of my element with ednever and sharky (who I've played in real life) or Frisk and Eevee (who I interact with everyday in Forum Games). And I beat julie in like one game the other day, I don't know if I've ever played her before that.

On the other hand, jonts, WanderingWinder, and Stef routinely destroy me. No one scares me as much as Bonogi, though. I've beaten him maybe once? And I've played him a lot, a lot a lot.

Marin would beat me 100% of the time if Marin was trying, but sometimes I think Marin isn't playing to win, Marin is building a work of art.

And it's not even the opponent's level of skill.  To stay consistently high, maybe you need to achieve a 80% winning percentage 100% of the time, but that doesn't scare me.  It's the 100% winning percentage 80% of the time people, that are often much lower-ranked, that do.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

And it's not even the opponent's level of skill.  To stay consistently high, maybe you need to achieve a 80% winning percentage 100% of the time, but that doesn't scare me.  It's the 100% winning percentage 80% of the time people, that are often much lower-ranked, that do.

Person #2 sounds like me.  Do I scare anyone?  Probably not.  :D :P

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 03:08:07 pm »
+2

Sounds like me too, except change the 100 to 70 and 80 to 30. :P

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 03:11:18 pm »
+1

TheSadPanda

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »

If you have someone drop out today, I will gladly fill in!!! ;-)

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »

If you have someone drop out today, I will gladly fill in!!! ;-)

Can't do that, sorry.  Wouldn't be fair to others who want to fill in, or those that did sign up and got replaced by a high-ranking wildcard.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »

Sounds like me too, except change the 100 to 70 and 80 to 30. :P

Yeah, I'm not saying the numbers are accurate for me or anything.  Just the concept.  I mean, you usually blow me out of the water, HME.

KC-KC-Scout-Scout-Scout

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 06:26:38 pm »

I was seeded wrong. I think your grep matched another village_idiot variant.

Oh well, that's what I get for having an overused term as a name.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 06:27:47 pm by KC-KC-Scout-Scout-Scout »

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 06:33:45 pm »

I was seeded wrong. I think your grep matched another village_idiot variant.

Oh well, that's what I get for having an overused term as a name.

when was your last game played on isotropic? i had to manually search yours because you weren't on the current leaderboard and must have missed the '_' in your name.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

KC-KC-Scout-Scout-Scout

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 06:40:05 pm »

2012-09-16

Yeah, I didn't have time to play a game last week couple of months.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

2012-09-16

Yeah, I didn't have time to play a game last week couple of months.

ok i see it now, sorry about that. i don't think there is anything we can do at this point though.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »
+2

To defend GE, we did suggest everyone playing a game this week so they could appear on the leaderboard :)

Varsinor

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +63
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 06:54:36 am »
+1

I guess I should be the one complaining as KC-KC-Scout-Scout-Scout's opponent... ;)
(I also got unlucky by you using Saturday's instead of Sunday's leaderboard - I deliberately played lots of games on Saturday to regain previously lost levels for the tournament ranking and did in fact gain two which would have put me on spot 22 instead of 31... But you did announce to use "rankings on a date of our choice" (although I expected that to be Sunday), so that is OK of course. I guess you needed more than a day to process the data.)

But putting the underscore-oversight aside (that can happen of course), how did you (plan to) rank people who weren't on the current leaderboard, anyway? Just take their last entry? In that case they get a potentially big advantage out of not having played new games because they effectively froze their old level and weren't subject to level degradation by variance increase over time.

I would therefore strongly suggest next time you either rank by mean skill (my preference) or you absolutely require people to play at least one game in the current week and don't let them take part if they don't. Both solutions seem a lot fairer than rewarding people for not having played current games.

But anyway, let the games begin now! 8)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 06:55:57 am by Varsinor »

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:54 am »
+3

I guess I should be the one complaining as KC-KC-Scout-Scout-Scout's opponent... ;)
(I also got unlucky by you using Saturday's instead of Sunday's leaderboard - I deliberately played lots of games on Saturday to regain previously lost levels for the tournament ranking and did in fact gain two which would have put me on spot 22 instead of 31... But you did announce to use "rankings on a date of our choice" (although I expected that to be Sunday), so that is OK of course. I guess you needed more than a day to process the data.)

the rankings were pulled saturday afternoon. it took a good bit of effort to set this up and get things organized (even split between 3 people) and having the bulk of the rankings in place saturday freed up sunday to clean up any messes and get the brackets in place.

But putting the underscore-oversight aside (that can happen of course), how did you (plan to) rank people who weren't on the current leaderboard, anyway? Just take their last entry? In that case they get a potentially big advantage out of not having played new games because they effectively froze their old level and weren't subject to level degradation by variance increase over time.

i'm far from convinced, as this cuts both ways. using mean skill could easily help those players instead of leveling the field. if they haven't played in a while then they likely are not going to be at that same skill level they were 2 months ago, and they are getting a nice seeding boost. and of course a player can get to a nice level and simply camp there and play on an alt.

and remember that you stay on the leaderboard for a full week since your last game, a span in which you are likely to drop about two levels. this offers some compensation drop for those who haven't played in a while.

I would therefore strongly suggest next time you either rank by mean skill (my preference) or you absolutely require people to play at least one game in the current week and don't let them take part if they don't. Both solutions seem a lot fairer than rewarding people for not having played current games.

from the rules: Please be sure to play at least one game on Isotropic this week so that you can appear on the leaderboard.

we did tell people to do it. forcing them to do anything is difficult though, and i think is a potential source of too much drama. there are good cases to be made for both mean skill and level, but i don't think that the case for mean is strong enough to lead to a switch at this point.

using mean skill would function better in a tournament like isodom, where the players are typically A. a little higher ranked and B. playing more regularly. the DS.com championships have a much broader appeal, and you need to adjust accordingly.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:52:57 am by greatexpectations »

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 09:42:08 am »
+4

I think you've done a great job setting this up. Regardless of how you do it there will always be complaints and opinions. Don't take it as personal criticism, because you absolutely don't deserve it.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:39 am »
+3

I think you've done a great job setting this up. Regardless of how you do it there will always be complaints and opinions. Don't take it as personal criticism, because you absolutely don't deserve it.

Quoted for agreement. As far as I can tell, this tournament has been running with class thus far and has been great!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 11:06:55 am »
+1

I agree and I missed the entry!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.