Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2 casual games with a friend  (Read 1054 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
2 casual games with a friend
« on: December 02, 2012, 05:18:59 am »
+1

Okay, so I lost these two games and was wondering how I could have won them.

Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/01/game-20121201-221437-b48d276a.html
Bank, Develop, Fortune Teller, Lighthouse, Market, Noble Brigand, Nobles, Sea Hag, Trade Route♦, Witch, and Young Witch

We ignore Young Witch, getting Sea Hag instead. He spikes $6 on turn 3 and grabs a Nobles; he gets them again on turns 10 and 11 before I hit $6 even once on turn 13 (opting for a Gold so that I could hit $6 again more reliably). I try to clean up from Sea Hag with a couple of Trade Routes and Develop, but they miss Estates/Curses a couple of times.

The turn 9 Witch was supposed to be a Market; I misclicked there but I'm not sure that made a big difference.

Anyway I fall behind largely due to losing the Nobles split, despite having what I thought was a stronger economy due to having more Markets. Sea Hag did almost nothing in the endgame due to the Lighthouses. How much of this can I chalk up to luck, and what should I have done differently?

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/02/game-20121202-005451-0824ece1.html
Adventurer, Colony, Feast, Ironworks, Jester, Loan, Oracle, Philosopher's Stone, Platinum, Potion, Smithy, Treasury, and Warehouse

I try to increase reliability with Loan, Warehouse, and Adventurer, while he just basically goes BM with 7 Jesters. This one was a bit depressing because I really thought I had a coherent strategy here, but his Jesters kept flooding me with Coppers and it didn't help early on that my Loans hit each other a couple of times.

I think I maybe should have gone for another Loan and more Warehouses, but Adventurer can only pull up so much coin. Was this strategy doomed to failure? I considered getting Potion -> PStone but decided not to because it would take forever to buy Potion, buy PStone, and play it enough times to get good value out of it.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: 2 casual games with a friend
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 09:46:17 am »

For the second game you were caught with no good buys at cost 4. This was important since you were using loans that would give 4 coin hands in the early game and would deter you from buying silver. So you should either stick with one loan and buy treasuries instead of the second jester (allowing feast as a second terminal) or skip the loan altogether. If the loan had trashed your coppers then the jesters would have hit your estates instead and turned your deck into a cursed mess, which isn't a great improvement.

First game I don't think there much you can do. You did buy too many terminals. I don't think you needed the witch. If you're buying trade route then develop perhaps they should be in the opposite order, maybe?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.