Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I am so bad with governor  (Read 1008 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
I am so bad with governor
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:51:10 pm »
+1

I just cannot seem to wrap my mind around governor games. I actually don't remember ever winning a straight-up governor game, which this was. Anyway, I got some nice luck by opening Nomad Camp/Governor and then my opponent had some nice luck with a turn 4 mint.

I just couldn't hit 7 for the longest time, which was really unfortunately because governor is a great target for KC and because KC are awesome governor trashing fodder. Still, I won the Governor split but couldn't seal the deal.

My turn 11 is of particular note because I was actually just $1 away from being able to gain a province and two duchies (I think this would have still caused me to lose on turns). As it was, I could remodel the gold into the last province, remodel a silver into a duchy, and have just enough to buy an island, but that would have lost me the game either on turns or if julloulu could remodel for points. So I opted for drawing, but I drew pretty badly.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/01/game-20121201-143919-bd506b2f.html

Was there anything I could have done better anywhere?

P.S. I just had a weird thought. Is nomad camp/mint ever a good opening? Probably not here where you want to hit $5 fast, but it could be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 05:52:19 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: I am so bad with governor
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:57:30 pm »
+2

On turn 5, after your opponent had just trashed 5 Coppers due to Mint, you probably should not have gained Golds with Governor. You gave him 2 Silvers in a deck where his cash density was already low. Instead consider using Governor for draw and buying your own Mint while trashing as many Coppers as you can.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: I am so bad with governor
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:41 am »
+2

On turn 5, after your opponent had just trashed 5 Coppers due to Mint, you probably should not have gained Golds with Governor. You gave him 2 Silvers in a deck where his cash density was already low. Instead consider using Governor for draw and buying your own Mint while trashing as many Coppers as you can.

This is a really good point and I'd totally overlooked it. I'm embarrassed to say that I actually totally missed the mint buy somehow, so I was plowing along trying to play like a normal Governor game. Still, I doubt I would have thought of that even if I had noticed the buy. Thanks.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.