Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: My Post to Boast a Bit (A Place to Talk About Books)  (Read 32229 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
Re: My Post to Boast a Bit (A Place to Talk About Books)
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:45 am »

This seems like a good thread. I checked out your goodreads page posted earlier, really any book I know from your favorites is also something I like, so it would seem we have similar taste. Let me give some recommendations then (I try to not recommend any books you already read):

- When Nietzsche Wept by Irvin D. Yalom
A sort-of historical novel located in late 19th century Vienna. Nietzsche is in therapy with one of the first psychoanalysts (a pupil of Freud's). It's a great read, in particular if you're interested in philosophy a bit. Loved the way Nietzsche is portrayed.

- The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro
A weird story without real beginning or end. The main character is being dropped into a surreal situation, almost dreamlike. He is apparently a famous pianist travelling to a foreign city to give a concert. Everyone there somehow expects him to solve the various problems they have. The book leaves much open to interpretation, and is very well-written.

- The Girl With Glass Feet by Ali Shaw
A very slow-paced story about a remote somewhat mystical island, a girl slowly turning into glass and a reclusive guy trying to help her. Beautifully written and very sad.

And of course I should also recommend some German authors. I hope the translations are done well.

- Fabian: The Story of A Moralist (apparently also puslished as "Going to the Dogs: The Story of A Moralist") by Erich Kästner
Easily one of my favorites. The story is set in the last years of the Weimar Republic. You experience life in a city through the protagonist's eyes, who always is somewhat at distance to everything that's happening around him. Kästner was a contemporary of that time; his books were burned by the Nazi regime.

- Gaming Instinct by Juli Zeh
Juli Zeh is I think one of the best contemporary German authors. The story is centered around a 14-year old girl with nihilistic tendencies and is a thoroughly uneasy read.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: My Post to Boast a Bit
« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2015, 03:58:48 pm »

I want to read more than I actually do. Started to reread The Walking Dead recently. That's one good graphic novel (because comic seems really wrong for that genre).

I binged on Walking Dead graphic novels a while back, sometime last Winter.  Really compelling.  I read all the way up to around Volume 22's release in short time (a couple weeks?).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »

My favorite novel this year was, I think Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.  It's an awesome mix of Sci-Fi, philosophy, religion, tech, humor, etc.  From the description on amazon.com:

In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately

I went on to read Quicksilver, which is the first volume of The Boroque Cycle.  It's very interesting, especially if you like math/physics (or history), but it's also pretty slow going.  It took me a while to finish, and I started Volume II (The Confusion), but I got distracted from it.  (For a while, my reading switched from fiction to text books.)  I also heard The Necronomicon is good; I picked it up but haven't yet read it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2015, 04:11:28 pm »

I used to love reading Michael Crichton novels.  My favorite, by far, was The Great Train Robbery.

I also used to read a lot more than I do now: I used to read 20 books every summer vacation.  It's really sad that with so many easy things to get our attention now, that tend to make no room for a good book.  If you search on the Internet Archive you can find my old book list, sadly abandoned now.  (It used to be sortable and have pictures of stars.)

I think his best was Sphere.  I actually had gotten a compendium book with Congo, Sphere, and Eaters of the Dead together; the whole thing was great.  (Well, this was back when I was in middle school, but I remember liking them a lot.)  I liked Andromeda Strain a lot as well, and A Case of Need was very compelling, and pretty different from his other "SciFi" type works.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2015, 04:24:26 pm »
+1

My favorite novel this year was, I think Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.  It's an awesome mix of Sci-Fi, philosophy, religion, tech, humor, etc.  From the description on amazon.com:

In reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo’s CosoNostra Pizza Inc., but in the Metaverse he’s a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that’s striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous…you’ll recognize it immediately

I went on to read Quicksilver, which is the first volume of The Boroque Cycle.  It's very interesting, especially if you like math/physics (or history), but it's also pretty slow going.  It took me a while to finish, and I started Volume II (The Confusion), but I got distracted from it.  (For a while, my reading switched from fiction to text books.)  I also heard The Necronomicon is good; I picked it up but haven't yet read it.

I just read Anathema by Stephenson a few weeks ago and I was completely and totally blown away. Probably the best book I have read this year. Part of the reason I came back to f.ds is because while I was reading it I thought to myself "this would make for a great mafia setup theme"

So it is in the works but isn't even kinda close. But I do want to check out some of his other works. But I like to keep some distance between reading the same authors otherwise I tend to get bored.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2015, 04:27:14 pm »

I haven't read his other stuff, Snow Crash was the first.  I definitely want to read his other stuff; right now I'm debating if I want to finish The Boroque cycle before looking at other works or a take a break from it.  I like completing one book/series at a time, but it's three huge and terse volumes.

Definitely check out Snow Crash.  It's fast to read, cyberpunky, and enjoyable. 

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2015, 04:31:46 pm »

Leave it to Psmith by P. G. Wodehouse
Hot Water by P. G. Wodehouse
Summer Lightning by P. G. Wodehouse

Really, anything he writes is good. But LitP is my favorite.

who would you compare him to from his contemporaries? I haven't heard about him before.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »

A weird story without real beginning or end. The main character is being dropped into a surreal situation, almost dreamlike. He is apparently a famous pianist travelling to a foreign city to give a concert. Everyone there somehow expects him to solve the various problems they have. The book leaves much open to interpretation, and is very well-written.

Interestingly I ended up settling for The Buried Giant by Ishiguro. I am not sure what to make of it. Coming off reading the fourth game of thrones book (A Feast for Crows) it is comparing a bit slower for the "time period" although the genre appears to be significantly different.

I didn't really like his What Remains of the Day but wanted to check out some of his other works before writing him off. I'll check out Unconsoled a little down the road, probably regardless of whether I like Buried Giant or not.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2015, 05:33:46 pm »

who would you compare him to from his contemporaries? I haven't heard about him before.
I'm not too knowledgable about literature, but my guess is that there's really nobody to compare him to. I know, it's hard to believe. If after reading one you think you find him similar to another author, I'd be very interested to look into that author. So let me know.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:19:21 pm by skip wooznum »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2015, 10:59:48 pm »
+1

I haven't read his other stuff, Snow Crash was the first.  I definitely want to read his other stuff; right now I'm debating if I want to finish The Boroque cycle before looking at other works or a take a break from it.  I like completing one book/series at a time, but it's three huge and terse volumes.

Definitely check out Snow Crash.  It's fast to read, cyberpunky, and enjoyable.
I liked and recommend Cryptonimicon, Snow Crash, Diamond Age. I liked Reamde but it's very different from his other books; it's an action movie. I didn't make it through Quicksilver and haven't read the others.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2015, 09:09:31 pm »

Both Darktower (Gunslinger) and Snow Crash didn't stick with me for very long.

I'll probably try to pick up Snow Crash later, but I just wasn't quite in the mood for it. Maybe too cyberpunky for me? Anathema took about 70 pages to get into, so maybe that is just the way Stephenson is, but I only lasted about 20 pages of Snow Crash (over the course of about a week, so that probably explains my sense of it being disjointed).

Gunslinger was just bad (made it 150 pages cause I was stubborn and wanted to like it). I keep reading Stephen King expecting to be impressed and aside from Shawshank Redemption that has never happened...

A lot of the recommendations here weren't available at my library, so I wasn't able to read them, but put in requests for them to purchase E-book versions. My library is pretty good at doing that. So hopefully I'll be able to read some of them coming up soon.

Has anyone read The Vorrh? That was one that my library didn't have but went out and purchased after I asked about it.

It was one of the better books I read this year. Really, really weird sci-fi/fantasy set in Africa with most of the fantasy being more voodoo mysticism along with some steampunk (but not too much) colonialism.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2015, 02:45:55 am »

Interestingly I ended up settling for The Buried Giant by Ishiguro. I am not sure what to make of it. Coming off reading the fourth game of thrones book (A Feast for Crows) it is comparing a bit slower for the "time period" although the genre appears to be significantly different.

I didn't really like his What Remains of the Day but wanted to check out some of his other works before writing him off. I'll check out Unconsoled a little down the road, probably regardless of whether I like Buried Giant or not.

I think if you want to read Ishiguro, just go to Never Let Me Go.  It's sort of his main thing.

If you haven't come back to Murakami, please do.  Pick up Colorless Tsukuru and His Years of Pilgrimage.  The things that bugged you about 1Q84 are toned down there, and it's a pretty intense story.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2015, 11:33:16 am »

I think if you want to read Ishiguro, just go to Never Let Me Go.  It's sort of his main thing.

If you haven't come back to Murakami, please do.  Pick up Colorless Tsukuru and His Years of Pilgrimage.  The things that bugged you about 1Q84 are toned down there, and it's a pretty intense story.

I have had Colorless on my to-read list since it came out. I even think I have had it on hold, waiting for me at the library.... I just have had such a hard time with Murakami. Both books I have read of his (Kafka on the Shore and 1Q84) I really, really enjoyed at the start. Whirlwind romance between me and the book. Staying up late, ignoring the chores/job, really just as good as it gets with reading. And then, like clockwork, about halfway through, they just completely fall apart and left me not only bored with what I was reading but intensely disappointed because I wasn't getting the resolution of the start of the book. Burned once... burned twice... I don't want to get burned again like that.

Plus any time I get an itch for something like Murakami I just pick up a David Mitchell book instead. I know it is hearsay in many literary circles to say that Mitchell is better than Murakami, but I am going to say it. Mitchell is better. Mitchell at least knows how to finish a good story...

That said I will pick up Colorless at some point. But it might be a while longer...

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2015, 11:37:36 am »

I have had Colorless on my to-read list since it came out. I even think I have had it on hold, waiting for me at the library.... I just have had such a hard time with Murakami. Both books I have read of his (Kafka on the Shore and 1Q84) I really, really enjoyed at the start. Whirlwind romance between me and the book. Staying up late, ignoring the chores/job, really just as good as it gets with reading. And then, like clockwork, about halfway through, they just completely fall apart and left me not only bored with what I was reading but intensely disappointed because I wasn't getting the resolution of the start of the book. Burned once... burned twice... I don't want to get burned again like that.

Plus any time I get an itch for something like Murakami I just pick up a David Mitchell book instead. I know it is hearsay in many literary circles to say that Mitchell is better than Murakami, but I am going to say it. Mitchell is better. Mitchell at least knows how to finish a good story...

That said I will pick up Colorless at some point. But it might be a while longer...

I read a Mitchell book based on one of your reviews, actually, and it just felt like bad Murakami to me the entire time.  To each his own, though.

Have you read Norwegian Wood?  That's the book that made Murakami so famous.  It's worth a read, too.  Colorless is a lot like that.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2015, 03:58:44 pm »

I gave up on Murakami after a few books in a row I didn't like. His early stuff was great though. Okay he started with a couple obscure novels that I kind of liked. Then A Wild Sheep Chase is good, and Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is fantastic; that's his claim to fame for me. The best stories in The Elephant Vanishes are also top-notch. Norwegian Wood was good; however I prefer the original translation (done for Japanese audiences learning English). I got it in Japantown in SF back when and don't imagine it's available anymore, now that there's the new translation. And then Dance Dance Dance is okay, and then there were 3 books in a row I didn't like. The Wind-up Bird Chronicle uses a great short story from The Elephant Vanishes as its chapter one. And man, does not live up to that short story.

I know 1Q84 is supposed to be good but it would take the right review to talk me into trying it.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2015, 04:35:46 pm »

I know 1Q84 is supposed to be good but it would take the right review to talk me into trying it.

The first book in 1Q84 is one of the best pieces I have ever read. Really, really good. So if you don't mind there being absolutely no resolution and it ending completely in the middle you could read just that part.

But I wouldn't recommend going onto the second and especially the third book.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2015, 04:46:29 pm »
+1

The first book in 1Q84 is one of the best pieces I have ever read. Really, really good. So if you don't mind there being absolutely no resolution and it ending completely in the middle you could read just that part.

But I wouldn't recommend going onto the second and especially the third book.

I liked the last book best.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2015, 06:24:31 pm »

I liked all the earlier Murakami books - Hard Boiled Wonderland is probably best. Then 1Q84 left me disappointed, and Colorless felt more like a "Best Of Murakami" album than something new.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2015, 06:28:53 pm »
+2

I'm reading The Idiot by Dostoyevsky now. Man, I always keep forgetting just how good he is.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2015, 09:26:16 am »

I'm reading The Idiot by Dostoyevsky now. Man, I always keep forgetting just how good he is.

Oooh, I've been wanting to read that for a while.  It's referenced in quite a few movies.  I read Crime and Punishment when I was in high school and liked it a lot, but I haven't read his other works.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2015, 10:16:08 am »

Completely agree. Well, I don't know if I forget how good he is, but each Dostoyevsky novel that I read automatically becomes my favorite... until I read the next one... or reread a previous one... or start talking about one..

If I had to rank the Dostoyevsky novels I have read:

1. Crime and Punishment
2. The Idiot
3. The Brothers Karamazov
4. The Double
5. Demons
6. Notes from the Underground

Will probably read The Gambler, House of the Dead or the Insulted and the Humiliated next. Probably House of the Dead as it is apparently semi-autobiographical of his experience in a Siberian prison camp.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »

I keep coming back to this looking for recommendations so what I think I am going to do is go back and update the OP at the end to keep a running tab on books that people (and myself) have recommended.. easier to do it once than to keep coming back and re-scrolling through the thread...

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2015, 12:44:43 am »

I need to mention https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riyria_Revelations as a recommendation.

The author is a great guy (from what I can tell via the Internet) and he self-published his latest on Kickstarter so that readers could get it two years faster than the publication schedule offered by his publisher.

They are well-written, quick reads with intriguing stories.  Good, old-school fantasy.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2015, 10:35:42 am »

Thanks for the recommend. Leave it to Psmith was delightful. Really, fun, witty and in some cases poignant situational and coincidental humor.

I would compare him to Oscar Wilde. In fact the whole time I was reading LitP I thought, "this should be a play" which apparently it has been adapted to a couple of times.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »

Thanks for the recommend. Leave it to Psmith was delightful. Really, fun, witty and in some cases poignant situational and coincidental humor.

I would compare him to Oscar Wilde. In fact the whole time I was reading LitP I thought, "this should be a play" which apparently it has been adapted to a couple of times.
You're very welcome. and do read some more, although all his books run somewhat similar storylines, so it might get old. And I'm not sure I agree with the oscar wilde comparison, but that's based on reading half of Dorian Grey and nothing else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.