Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: My Post to Boast a Bit (A Place to Talk About Books)  (Read 32234 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Re: My Post to Boast a Bit (A Place to Talk About Books)
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 07:51:36 pm »

What did you guys reads this year?
WHEEL OF TIME. like, my entire year was devoted to that series.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2013, 08:04:31 pm »
+2

Catch-22 is you're favorite?

I got about half way though before becoming very frustrated shouting at the book every few pages, "It's a Catch-22, I GET IT ALREADY!" I never finished it. I guess I was never that invested in the characters or plot.

However, I definitely see why people like it and why it's a classic.

So you can see why people like it, but for those very reasons you cant like it?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2013, 11:04:32 pm »

I got about half way though before becoming very frustrated shouting at the book every few pages, "It's a Catch-22, I GET IT ALREADY!" I never finished it. I guess I was never that invested in the characters or plot.

Yes, I love it through multiple reads. To me it was just endlessly hilarious. Now that I think of it, it reminds me of Arrested Development--or rather Arrested Development reminds me of it, especially this latest season 4... where there isn't a concurrent timeline, each chapter starts at a different spot along the story, putting together those pieces as well as putting together each character's perspective along the way was really fun. It also--as well as Arrested--has a lot of meta jokes that just get funnier and funnier the more and more you see them, especially as you see them in unique settings.

But the tone and import of the novel is also compelling to me. Maybe part of it is that I first read it as a high schooler and could relate to that Catch-22 sort of feeling that is high school in so many ways. But even now years later I relate to the turmoil and frustration that comes with trying to live in this society of conflicting rules, it spoke to me and still does. The sequel is complete garbage though... that was very disappointing.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 12:58:58 am »
+2

Catch-23: The Catchening
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 03:23:56 am »

I've been reading Worm.  It starts off just a bit trite but it ramps up quickly.  Lots of awesome twists and surprises.  I particularly like the clever uses of seemingly weak or limited powers.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2013, 12:11:04 pm »

I love Catch-22! It was a big part of my high school experience, too.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2013, 11:49:45 pm »

Wow Yuma, that's impressive! You must be a speed reader to read that many books in a year.

I've been trying to get more into reading, and it's much more enjoyable now that I don't have to do it for school. This year, I read all 5 Game of Thrones books, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Crabwalk by Gunter Grass, The Trial by Kafka, and 3/4 of Disgrace by Coetzee. I also got through a chunk of Gravity's Rainbow, before realizing that I had no idea what was going on, I had gotten very little enjoyment from the book, and I'd rather spend my time doing something else.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 25, 2013, 11:26:06 pm »

I don't read a whole lot; but I just received the Dark Tower series for Christmas; really looking forward to it! I loved Misery.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:10 am »
+1

I used to do a lot more reading, but it is difficult for me to make time for it now.  However, I did start reading Jules Verne this summer, and really really enjoyed it.  I read From the Earth to the Moon, Circling the Moon, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and I started 20k Leagues.  So far, I liked from the Earth to the Moon the best.  However, I have gotten distracted from this reading by S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst.  It is the most unique reading experience I have ever had, and I have only just started it.  If you have not heard of it, it is a made up book called The Ship of Theseus written by a mysterious author.  The book is a library book that is exchanged back and forth between two people who are trying to figure out more about this author and they communicate by notes in the margins and other artifacts they leave in the pages of the book.  And you have that copy complete with all the notes and the artifacts.  It is kind of confusing to read, but it is really cool.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »
+1

So you can see why people like it, but for those very reasons you cant like it?

I walked right into that one.  :P

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2013, 05:47:22 pm »
+6

Posting in small font because this is really unimportant, but too funny to not share. I've read the title of this thread as "My Post to Breast a Bit (A Place to Talk About Boobs)" twice today.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2013, 06:07:21 pm »
+1

Some strange things happen when being almost the only iberoamerican in a forum. One is reading this thread and seeing that the only (literary) authors I read in common with the rest, which I assume are mostly from Europe and non-latin America, are the Russians (although the only one I really like is Dostoievski). I also like Kafka which I assume is known everywhere as well.

I assume probably also some classics they forced me to read in highschool such as Shakespeare (translated, there is no way I can read it in the original, even now) or Poe, but I would not read them for pleasure.

Anyway, I can recommend some books you probably don't know. Saramago (portuguese author) is my all-time favorite. My favorite book is Galeano's "Open veins of latin america" (which I know has been translated to English). If you are not convinced that today's problems in LA can be traced back to Spanish and Portuguese invasions (it does not really cover the small Caribbean nations with French or Dutch colonization history) read it. I must warn you, it is a tough read. From Argentina, I love Cortazar, although his writing is focused on language more than on history, so I don't know how well it translates into other languanges, if there is such translation available.

As for current readings, I guess I have not read a single fictional book in 2013. Between scientific papers and newspapers, I don't want to read a single additional paragraph. I have recently read "thesis draft" volumes 1 to 12 at this point. I expect 2 or 3 more sequels of that one. They say the last is the only one really worth reading, but I am the kind of person that goes through series in order.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2013, 11:09:20 pm »

Wow Yuma, that's impressive! You must be a speed reader to read that many books in a year.

I've been trying to get more into reading, and it's much more enjoyable now that I don't have to do it for school. This year, I read all 5 Game of Thrones books, Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Crabwalk by Gunter Grass, The Trial by Kafka, and 3/4 of Disgrace by Coetzee. I also got through a chunk of Gravity's Rainbow, before realizing that I had no idea what was going on, I had gotten very little enjoyment from the book, and I'd rather spend my time doing something else.

thanks! I do read fast I suppose, but mostly I am lucky to find time to read. Every day I work I get at least 1 1/2 hours in all my breaks + waiting for the bus and riding the bus home so that adds up.

Game of Thrones was mostly last year, but I think I read the latest installment the beginning of this year. I read A Thousand Years of Solitude a year or two ago and still feel I am not quite ready for Love in the Time of Cholera (maybe this year).

I'll check out Crabwalk and Disgrace of Coetzee if you think they are worth checking out.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2013, 11:10:39 pm »

I don't read a whole lot; but I just received the Dark Tower series for Christmas; really looking forward to it! I loved Misery.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of it until now, I just googled it but I am intrigued by the mix of sci-fi, fantasy and Western motifs. Let me know what you think!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2013, 11:11:55 pm »

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst.  It is the most unique reading experience I have ever had, and I have only just started it.  If you have not heard of it, it is a made up book called The Ship of Theseus written by a mysterious author.  The book is a library book that is exchanged back and forth between two people who are trying to figure out more about this author and they communicate by notes in the margins and other artifacts they leave in the pages of the book.  And you have that copy complete with all the notes and the artifacts.  It is kind of confusing to read, but it is really cool.

wow, this is certainly going to go on my to-read list.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2013, 11:14:46 pm »

Game of Thrones was mostly last year, but I think I read the latest installment the beginning of this year. I read A Thousand Years of Solitude a year or two ago and still feel I am not quite ready for Love in the Time of Cholera (maybe this year).

Love in the Time of Cholera is a much easier read than A Thousand Years of Solitude. The latter is probably the only book that I left unfinished after reading more than 25% (I got more or less halfway before giving up on it).

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2013, 11:18:54 pm »

Love in the Time of Cholera is a much easier read than A Thousand Years of Solitude. The latter is probably the only book that I left unfinished after reading more than 25% (I got more or less halfway before giving up on it).

good to know. Solitude (I just noticed that we both typed it wrong... it is A Hundred Years, not a Thousand Years) I finished but it was a struggle but I am glad I finished it, even if I am still not completely sure what happened. Magical realism is trippy.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2013, 12:13:49 am »

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst.  It is the most unique reading experience I have ever had, and I have only just started it.  If you have not heard of it, it is a made up book called The Ship of Theseus written by a mysterious author.  The book is a library book that is exchanged back and forth between two people who are trying to figure out more about this author and they communicate by notes in the margins and other artifacts they leave in the pages of the book.  And you have that copy complete with all the notes and the artifacts.  It is kind of confusing to read, but it is really cool.

wow, this is certainly going to go on my to-read list.
Do it.  I still haven't gotten a chance to read more, but I probably will tonight.  The only thing is, you probably won't find it in a library and I wouldn't want to read it on a bus or anything because I would be afraid of losing some of the contents...

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2013, 12:30:36 am »

thanks! I do read fast I suppose, but mostly I am lucky to find time to read. Every day I work I get at least 1 1/2 hours in all my breaks + waiting for the bus and riding the bus home so that adds up.

I'll check out Crabwalk and Disgrace of Coetzee if you think they are worth checking out.

Commutes are great for reading! Metro time = reading time

I'd definitely recommend Love in the Time of Cholera before either of the other ones (It's Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee). I have never read 100 years of solitude, but like soulnet said, I think it's an easier read. It gets slightly tedious at times, but ultimately it's a love story that's pretty easy to read!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2013, 07:52:22 am »
+1

A friend got me all the Animorphs books for christmas. So I think I might be able to read 50+ books in a year this time. :P I'm not sure I'd recommend them to anyone, though.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2013, 12:13:41 pm »

A friend got me all the Animorphs books for christmas. So I think I might be able to read 50+ books in a year this time. :P I'm not sure I'd recommend them to anyone, though.

I loved those books growing up.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2013, 02:20:30 pm »

Quote from: Twistedarcher
Metro time = Mafia time
FIFY
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2013, 07:08:44 am »
+1

Hammer Time?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2015, 10:57:43 pm »

Necro to demand politely request that people quickly give me some books to read.

I just requested 7 books for my Nook (I finally got an e-reader) and all of them already had holds, so I don't know what I am going to read tomorrow. Quick suggestions anyone?

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2015, 01:36:10 am »

Leave it to Psmith by P. G. Wodehouse
Hot Water by P. G. Wodehouse
Summer Lightning by P. G. Wodehouse

Really, anything he writes is good. But LitP is my favorite.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:39:01 am by skip wooznum »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.