Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Using bots to hack your shuffle luck?!  (Read 17822 times)

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
Re: Using bots to hack your shuffle luck?!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 05:02:53 pm »

Incredible that no one is more understanding, when human civilization has been destroyed by super-intelligent robots who look exactly like us, it is no wonder Adama is a bit paranoid while playing Dominion.
Said as I watch BSG in another window.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
+2

I want to put Adama in the brig for playing Dominion instead of doing his jump.

toaster

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 05:33:25 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that Adama has turned rather trollish.  I remember playing a few matches with him about a year ago, and it was pleasant enough, though things did not come out well for humanity   ;)

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 05:39:18 pm »
+3

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:16:33 am by () | (_) ^/ »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 02:43:31 pm »

And beyond all of that, there are edge cases where you purposefully don't want to guess the card properly, but may have every card name in your deck due to a Fairgrounds strategy, and so you ought to be able to guess a name which none of the available cards have.

You know, I'd be okay if the rules defined 'card' as 'official dominion card', such that when you are instructed to name a card, you must name a card that does, in fact, exist within the game of Dominion.

Dominion doesn't know what a three of spades is. Dominion doesn't know what a Mirror Force is. Dominion doesn't know what a Ken's Tatsumaki is. Dominion doesn't know what a Bulbasaur is.

I tried to make this argument a few months ago actually... I was completely shot down.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 02:55:58 pm »

In practice, it doesn't really matter. There will always be some Dominion card that you don't have in your deck that you can pick. Might as well let people be silly and name Bulbasaur ;) IRL (whereas online, don't bother letting people do that, and probably limit it to cards available for this game, again just out of convenience because it's never actually going to matter)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 04:01:34 pm »
+1

In practice, it doesn't really matter. There will always be some Dominion card that you don't have in your deck that you can pick. Might as well let people be silly and name Bulbasaur ;) IRL (whereas online, don't bother letting people do that, and probably limit it to cards available for this game, again just out of convenience because it's never actually going to matter)

Thanks to Black Market, this isn't technically true. ;)
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 04:20:39 pm »
+1

Yes, yes it is. I can happily guarantee you there will never be a serious game played where one player has every Dominion card in his deck, wants to guarantee that their wish fails, and accidentally has their wish succeed.

It technically could happen, in the same way I technically could win the lottery by buying one ticket. But in practice, when designing an interface, you might as well not consider the possibility.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 04:26:32 pm »

But in practice, when designing an interface, you might as well not consider the possibility.

I'm don't dispute this. :)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 04:30:21 pm »
+1

It technically could happen, in the same way I technically could win the lottery by buying one ticket. But in practice, when designing an interface, you might as well not consider the possibility.

The better way to put this is:

Every UI decision makes tradeoffs between usability and functionality.  It is at the extreme end of unreasonableness to make the UI much worse for this little bit more of functionality.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 05:52:58 pm »
+3

They could just drop in a single option at the bottom for a non-Dominion card, so the player can purposely not succeed if they so wish.  And as an easter egg, Goko could periodically change what that option was.

I wish for a Successful Launch.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »
+2

I wish for Militia--but the Militia from Thunderstone, not Dominion.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:53 am »

Yes, yes it is. I can happily guarantee you there will never be a serious game played where one player has every Dominion card in his deck, wants to guarantee that their wish fails, and accidentally has their wish succeed.

One day, I will play such a game where I purchase every Dominion card and have it in my deck. Although, this will be done irl because on iso you can't do this, and likely not on Goko when Black Market is implemented. I will be sure to record this epic game!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 01:56:46 am »
+3

I'm always hacking my shuffle, duh. I type !bettershuffle and my cards just rearrange themselves the way I want.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:18 am »

One day, I will play such a game where I purchase every Dominion card and have it in my deck. Although, this will be done irl because on iso you can't do this, and likely not on Goko when Black Market is implemented. I will be sure to record this epic game!

Remember to additionally include a situation where you actually draw the Wishing Well or Mystic, have a reason to want your wish to deliberately fail, and don't happen to have a unique card already in hand or in play that you could safely wish for.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:44 am »

Actually, while we're on that topic, can anyone here construct a situation where you want to play Wishing Well, succeeding at your wish is worse than failing it, and you don't know the top card of your deck? The last condition is needed because you can easily fail the wish if you already know the top card, and the question is about ensuring a failed wish by naming a non-existent card.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 03:30:28 am »
+2

Actually, while we're on that topic, can anyone here construct a situation where you want to play Wishing Well, succeeding at your wish is worse than failing it, and you don't know the top card of your deck? The last condition is needed because you can easily fail the wish if you already know the top card, and the question is about ensuring a failed wish by naming a non-existent card.
Depends on how you define "know".  Of course there could be just two cards left before you played the WW, you still have a Market in hand (or drew it as first card of the WW), and you want to play this Market without triggering the reshuffle.  Now you could know what the last card is, but that doesn't mean you really know it.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 08:40:37 am »
+1

Depends on how you define "know".  Of course there could be just two cards left before you played the WW, you still have a Market in hand (or drew it as first card of the WW), and you want to play this Market without triggering the reshuffle.  Now you could know what the last card is, but that doesn't mean you really know it.

menagerie, specifically if your hand is all different cards. +1 card, +3 cards is usually better than +2 cards, +1 card.

also, if you already have all the $ you need for a province or whatever (and there are no plus buys) i can see not wanting to draw more cards. it doesn't require exact knowledge of the card, just a general knowledge of the rest of your deck.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 09:46:48 am »
+1

I'm always hacking my shuffle, duh. I type !bettershuffle and my cards just rearrange themselves the way I want.

I assumed you just used Scout to put the cards in the "right" order each turn.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 12:52:22 pm »

menagerie, specifically if your hand is all different cards. +1 card, +3 cards is usually better than +2 cards, +1 card.

also, if you already have all the $ you need for a province or whatever (and there are no plus buys) i can see not wanting to draw more cards. it doesn't require exact knowledge of the card, just a general knowledge of the rest of your deck.

For menagerie, just play it before the wishing well. Or if you have two ww and need to play one first, wish for a ww.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 01:46:07 pm »

Just wanting a certain amount of money seems simple enough.... you have $7 and a Wishing Well. You play WW and draw a Copper. There's nothing in your deck that could make this better than a 1-Province turn... whatever is on top of your deck, you'd rather have it next turn instead of now.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2012, 01:52:06 pm »

Just wanting a certain amount of money seems simple enough.... you have $7 and a Wishing Well. You play WW and draw a Copper. There's nothing in your deck that could make this better than a 1-Province turn... whatever is on top of your deck, you'd rather have it next turn instead of now.
You'd probably want to remove any vanilla victory cards from your next hand.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »

Well it's easy enough to specify that you don't have any victory cards in your deck yet. Of course, at that point a Victory card becomes a good guess for Wishing Well... but it still meets the criteria of the question.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2012, 01:57:06 pm »

Well it's easy enough to specify that you don't have any victory cards in your deck yet. Of course, at that point a Victory card becomes a good guess for Wishing Well... but it still meets the criteria of the question.

Quite right.  I missed that you were responding to a different question.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »

Quite right.  I missed that you were responding to a different question.

I can at least say this... in my well over 2000 games of Dominion, I cannot think of a single time that I have desired to purposefully get the Wishing Well guess incorrect.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.