Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: It's a Miracle!  (Read 2952 times)

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
It's a Miracle!
« on: November 30, 2012, 07:54:57 am »
+3

Remember when we were all playing our final iso games and commemorating the day by getting iso card avatars?  ...  It's still up!  Thanks to Goko.  A second miracle is that Androminion has Dark Ages, which I had supposed Goko was keeping for itself.  So, in reality, goko's fail was actually a blessing in that we still have isotropic and are able to have a 2012 tourney. 
Can't wait to see who wins the trusty steed! (or actually the free dominion set)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: It's a Miracle!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:05:18 am »
+1

Can't wait to see who wins the trusty steed!

How often is Trusty Steed actually the correct Prize to take first? Followers is just so mean.

Squidd

• Golem
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:22 am »
+3

In my most recent game, I definitely took Trusty Steed first... so I could play it to re-draw the Province, play my second Tournament, and then take Followers.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:33:45 am »
+1

A second miracle is that Androminion has Dark Ages, which I had supposed Goko was keeping for itself.

the maker of Androminion doesn't seem to have a relationship with Donald and Goko like dougz does with Iso. ergo he just does his own thing, whereas dougz tends to get permission. as captain frisk put it, "Man - asking for permission sucks!"

How often is Trusty Steed actually the correct Prize to take first? Followers is just so mean.

10%? i say followers> princess > duchy > trusty steed > bag of gold > diadem.

momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 11:35:12 am »
+5

Presumably Followers got taken in a previous year, and I guess since we thought we were in endgame everybody else took Duchies.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »

Can't wait to see who wins the trusty steed!

Trusty Steed is awesome in engines(don't take the 4 silvers for this), but Followers is mean.  Very easy to get clogged up with estates though.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

According to theory Trusty Steed is best and Followers is 2nd best.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 04:43:14 pm »

I think you usually want Followers over Trusty Steed. Not always, but usually. If Follows isn't good, it's probably because Curses are already flying, and if Curses are already flying, winning Tournaments becomes less possible/important.

If your opponent has no chance of winning a Tournament, it can be nice to get the Steed first, because the Steed helps you win future Tournaments (sometimes on the same turn that you gain it).

--

On the subject of the thread, I too would call this a miracle!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 04:44:38 pm »

I sometimes debate whether trusty steed is even the second best prize. Princess is really good in a lot of decks.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »
+1

I sometimes debate whether trusty steed is even the second best prize. Princess is really good in a lot of decks.

Those three are definitely in a league of their own. Bag of Gold is a consolation Prize, and Diadem is like actually worse than Duchy, in practice.

Note that I don't think Diadem would be nearly bad if it were a Kingdom card. I frequently wish that it was.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 05:01:06 pm »
+3

We want to talk about tactical mistakes - playing trusty steed for cards and actions all the time. Very often one of the other options is better; (in a vacuum, cards and money tends to be the strongest; the silvers can be incredibly powerful). Also, I love being able to nab steed first because I can redraw that province and take followers in the same turn. It's such a great trick.

I find Bag of Gold to be the most irrelevant prize. It's usually better than Diadem, but almost always outclassed by steed (4 silvers usually does you better than one gold...), and diadem can be useful as an immediate I-have-enough-cash-to-end-the-game. Not that diadem is also not impressive.

Very often, princess is better than steed, because you've built an engine, and while steed is really nice in engines, princess both gives and cheapens buys, which is absolutely enormous. Of course, these are cases where followers can be strong as well, but more often than you'd think, princess>followers even.

aaron0013

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »

Wow. I never thought of Princess as being a power card.  What do you think of Princess in a BM situation?  I suppose Followers>TS in BM, but maybe the 4 Silvers could be of use too?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

I think Princess tends to illustrate the lopsided gains from Tournament. Because very often, one player wins the Tournament multiple times, instead of it being a back-and-forth thing. And that winner person probably has a lot of good stuff in place, very often will be drawing a whole bunch of Cards, either a megaturn or several mini-mega turns. And Princess is great, there. The bigger your hand, the more money you have, the more stuff you want to Buy, and Princess is great for you.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 07:07:42 pm »
+1

Maybe this should go in the tactics thread, but in light of the discussion I'll post here, I just played a game where I made good use of Bag of Gold. Key cards were tournament (surprise!) and governor. I lost out on princess and followers. Got the steed. Last turn of the game, I'm down a number of points with 3 provinces left. I basically need all three this turn to win. I managed 6 governors but only had 1 gold left at this point and a junky enough deck to not be able to draw it so gaining Gold this turn woudn't help. I used 3 governors for card draw. I have my gold a tourney and province and my other governors. Get myself a bag of gold and get and draw a Gold, and remodel my now 2 golds into 2 provinces and buy the third for the win. Quite satisfying.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 20 queries.