Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Redistrict: a one-shot mass Remodel  (Read 5607 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Redistrict: a one-shot mass Remodel
« on: November 29, 2012, 03:36:55 pm »

Here's my second attempt at a one-shot mass Remodel card. I'm creating it to replace a card in my one-shot expansion.

Redistrict
Types: Action
Cost: $5
Trash this. Do this up to 4 times: trash a card from your hand then gain a card that you haven't gained this turn costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.

The 'card you haven't gained this turn' clause is to prevent a player from gaining multiple Provinces or multiple Colonies all at once with the card.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:38:25 pm by LastFootnote »

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Re: Redistrict: a one-shot mass Remodel
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:59:56 pm »
+1

I like this card, but I feel that it might be a bit too swingy...as with all one-shots I suppose...
My problem with it is in most hands excepting openings, you'll probably only trash 2 or 3 cards, which makes it not all that much better than Remake, especially with the "haven't gained this turn" clause. I just don't think I'm willing to pay $5 for such a swingy and potentially useless card.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:43:33 am »
+1

One possible change:

Redistrict
Do this up to 4 times: trash a card from your hand then gain a card that you haven't gained this turn costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.  If you gained more than one card in this way, trash Redistrict.

I also wonder about "Trash a card from your hand.  You may gain..."  So you could also use it as sort of a Chapel + Remodel.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:41 am »

I like this card, but I feel that it might be a bit too swingy...as with all one-shots I suppose...
My problem with it is in most hands excepting openings, you'll probably only trash 2 or 3 cards, which makes it not all that much better than Remake, especially with the "haven't gained this turn" clause. I just don't think I'm willing to pay $5 for such a swingy and potentially useless card.

Fair point. I'm going to playtest the card a bit and find out how much of an issue this is.

One possible change:

Redistrict
Do this up to 4 times: trash a card from your hand then gain a card that you haven't gained this turn costing up to $2 more than the trashed card.  If you gained more than one card in this way, trash Redistrict.

Hmm, that makes the card safer, but might be too powerful and I'm worried it might take some of the simplicity and fun out of the card. Still, it's a change I'll definitely consider.

I also wonder about "Trash a card from your hand.  You may gain..."  So you could also use it as sort of a Chapel + Remodel.

I'm afraid that that would often decide the game on a 5/2 split. A self-trashing card that lets you get rid of Coppers and upgrade Estates into $3 or $4 cards? Seems super powerful. On second thought, that's an argument against my version of the card as well, since a turn-3 hand of Copper/Estate/Estate/Estate/Redistrict could be incredibly powerful on most boards. I'll have to test it out.

Thanks for the feedback, you two.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 10:39:47 am »

The 'card you haven't gained this turn' clause is to prevent a player from gaining multiple Provinces or multiple Colonies all at once with the card.

Pretty sure this clause doesn't work...

Example: You gain a silver this turn, which goes into your discard pile, where another silver is sitting.
One of your cards triggers a reshuffle and you pick up a silver.

Is it the one you gained this turn? Or another one?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:20 am »
+2

Pretty sure this clause doesn't work...

Example: You gain a silver this turn, which goes into your discard pile, where another silver is sitting.
One of your cards triggers a reshuffle and you pick up a silver.

Is it the one you gained this turn? Or another one?

I think you must have misread something (either that or I did). You are not allowed gain multiple cards with the same name in the same turn. It doesn't matter what the cards in your hand/deck are.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:06:56 am »

No your right, I read it completely wrong!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »
+1

Okay, so. After playtesting Redistrict, I have confirmed that it's almost always really weak. However, I also playtested another version that seems OK power-wise so far. It's an odd one, but please let me know what you think.

Redistrict
Trash this.
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $3 more than it.
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $2 more than it.
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

This seems really bizarre, and maybe it is, but it's much less swingy because regardless of exactly what you draw it with you nearly always get a lot of mileage out of it, as befits a $5 one-shot. Even if you get it in a hand of mostly Copper, you can turn one Copper into a Silver (or other $3 card), you can trash another outright (as long as Poor House isn't out), and you can boost another card by $2.

So if you're feeling generous, talkative, or just bored, please let me know what you think of this version. Thanks!

Bron

• Steward
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 06:07:24 pm »
+1

I think that the second version is very interesting :)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 06:22:19 pm »
+1

I think you have successfully fixed several of the major card issues...it is not too powerful as an opener, it is much less swingy, and it will almost never be useless (as you've said). My one nitpicky complaint is that now you could be forced to trash nearly all of your hand when you play it, so I would like to see a "You may do one or more of the following" or something. This is very minor, but I feel it takes this from a weak $5 to a balanced and useful $5.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 06:24:04 pm »

I think that the second version is very interesting :)

Thanks!

In other news, I've printed out the card for playtesting (I was doing tests with proxies before). Here it is.

I think you have successfully fixed several of the major card issues...it is not too powerful as an opener, it is much less swingy, and it will almost never be useless (as you've said). My one nitpicky complaint is that now you could be forced to trash nearly all of your hand when you play it, so I would like to see a "You may do one or more of the following" or something. This is very minor, but I feel it takes this from a weak $5 to a balanced and useful $5.

Ah, glad you approve of the change. The trashing your whole hand thing is definitely intentional. If it turns out to be too weak as-is, I may make your suggested change. However, I tend to avoid making cards too user-friendly. There's a lot to be said for cards being a bit harder to use.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:26:38 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »
+1

Redistrict 5/6/7 --> triple province :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:24 pm »
+1

Redistrict 5/6/7 --> triple province :)

Yeah, that scenario had occurred to me. I say if you can set that up, you deserve the 3 Provinces.  :D

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 05:51:38 am »
+1

I like it!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 04:20:55 pm »
+1

Okay, so. After playtesting Redistrict, I have confirmed that it's almost always really weak. However, I also playtested another version that seems OK power-wise so far. It's an odd one, but please let me know what you think.

Redistrict
Trash this.
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $3 more than it.
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $2 more than it.
Trash a card from your hand; gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

This seems really bizarre, and maybe it is, but it's much less swingy because regardless of exactly what you draw it with you nearly always get a lot of mileage out of it, as befits a $5 one-shot. Even if you get it in a hand of mostly Copper, you can turn one Copper into a Silver (or other $3 card), you can trash another outright (as long as Poor House isn't out), and you can boost another card by $2.

So if you're feeling generous, talkative, or just bored, please let me know what you think of this version. Thanks!

I like it, more than the original. However, I am slightly worried about the amount of AP it could cause. There's a whole lot of options to choose from when you play it with a big hand.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Dubdubdubdub

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:07:53 pm »
+1

Well, it's a one-shot. I think a little AP is ok. The problem with, for example, Pearl Diver, is that it's a cheap cantrip beginning players buy too many of.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 08:07:52 pm »

So, I've now playtested this in a few games with an actual opponent. Far from being weak, at this point I'm a little worried about it being too powerful. Although in a test I did earlier, BM-Smithy edged out a very Redistrict-heavy strategy, so I don't think it's too likely to create really boring games. A very Redistrict-heavy strategy does tend to create a very, very small deck, though. This is because you're using a number of your buys on Redistricts, which don't stay in your deck, because you often don't buy a card on the turn you play Redistrict, and because you often end up using the exactly-$1-more option to trash Copper. The end result of this is decks that have a small number of Golds, Silvers, and Provinces, which can stall out quickly. I guess I could add "Gain a Copper" to the card, but hopefully that won't be necessary.

GendoIkari is right about its potential to create AP, although Dubdubdubdub already made my counterpoint, which is that as a one-shot, it's only going to be played so many times per game. Also, it doesn't create AP every time it's played, at least not for players that are relatively familiar with the game.

Overall I like this version of the card, so I hope it works out in future playtesting. My biggest concern right now is that people won't know when to buy the card. I mean that both as, "When in this game do I buy a Redistrict?" and, "Is Redistrict a good buy in general for this board?" The thing is that I don't know the answer myself yet. It combos well with Floodgate, and probably therefore also with Tactician and other hand-size increasers. Conversely, it probably is weaker against Militia and company. I don't really know when Pillage is a good idea, either, so maybe this isn't a dealbreaker.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback, everybody! If you have more opinions, keep 'em coming.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:17:11 pm by LastFootnote »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »
+1

Did you play test opening Rdistrict? It seems to me that turning your opening 3 estates into a silver, a good $4, and a powerful $5 seems like it would be better than opening with that $5. Or if you draw it with 2 Estates instead of 3, straight trashing a copper instead of that Silver. Of course, that's still a really lucky turn 3 or 4.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »

Did you play test opening Rdistrict? It seems to me that turning your opening 3 estates into a silver, a good $4, and a powerful $5 seems like it would be better than opening with that $5. Or if you draw it with 2 Estates instead of 3, straight trashing a copper instead of that Silver. Of course, that's still a really lucky turn 3 or 4.

Yes, I've definitely tried opening with it and trashing 3 Estates on turn 3/4. It's definitely a real boost, but probably no better than opening with Trading Post and trashing 2 Estates on turn 3 or 4.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:52:26 pm by LastFootnote »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.