Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Festival/Torturer awfulness  (Read 1077 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Festival/Torturer awfulness
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:23:25 am »
+1

In this game, I got crushed by a Festival/Torturer engine (the final score is much closer than the game actually was): http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/29/game-20121129-061907-78c2657a.html

Despite ending the game with 6 Festivals and 5 Torturers, I didn't draw a Festival and Torturer in hand together until turn  18!

How should I have played this differently? I'm guessing some (maybe all?) of the early Conspirators were not good choices, but I thought I was going to be chaining Festivals and Torturers which would activate Conspirators and give me cash to take advantage of Festival's +Buy.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Re: Festival/Torturer awfulness
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:37:59 am »
+1

It might help explain knowing that you only had 4 festivals. 

You do have some mehish shuffle luck.  With that said, I think it is also important to know that smithies is the better opening.  See at the start, you're going to probably get festival than torturers.  It just makes intuitive sense (unless you opened silver/silver which i don't agree).  Now you have all these festivals/torturers to connect, conspirator doesn't help that at all, it only helps with the END result which is to gather money. 

Smithy doesn't help with generating money as much, but it helps with connecting +actions with +cards.  So the order of getting $4 cards is a little backwards.  Smithy first, when you feel comfortable to get conspirators, then get one remodel (to change estates and battle curses) and move on over to conspirators. You also don't need that money early on.  Really the extra dollars aren't helpful unless you have $10 (to buy two engine pieces). 

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: Festival/Torturer awfulness
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 11:27:23 am »
+4

Festival is also probably the hardest Village with which to run a Torturer chain.  It both competes with Torturer for $5 and gives no +Card.  Any way that you can help draw more cards to connect Torturers would be extremely useful in this situation.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.613 seconds with 21 queries.