Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Pet tricks you haven't tried yet  (Read 40524 times)

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
Re: Pet tricks you haven't tried yet
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 08:37:51 pm »
+3

With $12 and 2 buys, buying a Province, letting your opponent trash his Fool's Gold, then buying a Noble Brigand.
I have seen this in multiplayer several times - someone buys Province, someone else trashes Fool's Gold, and the next player to go says hmmm, Gold on top? It's common in all-Hinterlands games, and easy to fall for; maybe no-one bought a Noble Brigand so far this game. I have also seen someone knowingly trash the Fool's Gold, on the grounds that anyone stealing the Gold was passing up on VP.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 08:55:00 pm »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20121013-154347-a2553240.html
In this 2p game from a while back.
I could have managed both players trashing Fools Golds on the same turn, but I wanted to keep my FG for spending that turn :)
Code: [Select]
--- Rabid's turn 15 ---
Rabid plays a Governor.
... getting +1 action.
... drawing 3 cards.
... Obi Wan Bonogi draws 1 card.
Rabid plays a Worker's Village.
... drawing 1 card and getting +2 actions and +1 buy.
Rabid plays a Governor.
... getting +1 action.
... Rabid trashes a Gold.
... Rabid gains a Province.
... ... Obi Wan Bonogi trashes a Fool's Gold.
... ... Obi Wan Bonogi gains a Gold on the deck.
... Obi Wan Bonogi trashes a Bank.
... Obi Wan Bonogi gains a Province.
Rabid plays a Fool's Gold.
... getting +$1.
... getting +$4.
... getting +$4.
Rabid plays a Copper.
Rabid buys a Province.
Rabid buys an Estate.
(Rabid reshuffles.)
(Rabid draws: a Fool's Gold, a Gold, a Governor, a Silver, and a Copper.)
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: serakfalcon
  • Respect: +230
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 11:52:31 pm »

Procession, poor house, pawn, village, bishop, a +Cards card (say watchtower)
bishop trashes all your treasures and gives you some income, (bonus: your opponents trashing helps you get rid of those pesky treasures) every procession you play with a poor house is a province, then upgrade it to a pawn so you can get +1 treasure and +1 buy, reload with another poor house, if you run out of poor houses run a pawn through into a village, or into the +Cards card. If this bogs down your deck run a bishop through procession.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 11:56:53 pm »

Procession, poor house, pawn, village, bishop, a +Cards card (say watchtower)
bishop trashes all your treasures and gives you some income, (bonus: your opponents trashing helps you get rid of those pesky treasures) every procession you play with a poor house is a province, then upgrade it to a pawn so you can get +1 treasure and +1 buy, reload with another poor house, if you run out of poor houses run a pawn through into a village, or into the +Cards card. If this bogs down your deck run a bishop through procession.

If you want to run a Poor House-centric deck, you'll want a faster trasher than Bishop.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:07 pm »

If you want to run a Poor House-centric deck, you'll want a faster trasher than Bishop.
I played that in a 4 person game, I suppose a chapel would be more efficient

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 11:59:45 pm »

I played that in a 4 person game, I suppose a chapel would be more efficient

Were the other 3 players all playing Bishop too?  That would have sped it up.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 07:15:33 am »

Not really a pet trick, but I want Goko to implement Black Market, so I can build a Black Market Poor House deck that doesn't trash my treasures!

unlinked

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2013, 12:09:01 pm »

After Counterfeiting all of my Coopers.

In Hand Counterfeit - Counterfeit - Venture - Venture - Bank

In deck Golds, Ventures, Banks, and Victory Cards

I would Counterfeit ($1)  the Counterfeit ($2) then use that to Counterfeit both Ventures ($4) putting four treasures in play (more if the Ventures hit Ventures), trash the second Counterfeit and the two Ventures, then play final Bank worth minimum of $6

Coin total if Venturing only Gold would be $25 with 4 buys.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2013, 12:49:45 pm »

After Counterfeiting all of my Coopers.

In Hand Counterfeit - Counterfeit - Venture - Venture - Bank

In deck Golds, Ventures, Banks, and Victory Cards

I would Counterfeit ($1)  the Counterfeit ($2) then use that to Counterfeit both Ventures ($4) putting four treasures in play (more if the Ventures hit Ventures), trash the second Counterfeit and the two Ventures, then play final Bank worth minimum of $6

Coin total if Venturing only Gold would be $25 with 4 buys.

You might be interested in this puzzle
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2013, 01:23:50 pm »

Some day I'd like to load up on Great Hall/Island/Nobles on a board with both Vineyard and Silk Road.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »
+4

TR Graverobber after someone connects Treasure Maps.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2013, 02:06:48 pm »
+2

Buy a Nomad Camp the turn I connect my Treasure Maps, then spend my $14 on a Province and Mandarin.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2013, 02:09:10 pm »

Buy a Nomad Camp the turn I connect my Treasure Maps, then spend my $14 on a Province and Mandarin.
Gain as many nomad camps as possible short of the last one, then connect treasure maps, then buy the last one, then buy province and mandarin every turn for the rest of the game.

If we're dreaming....

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 02:18:32 pm »

Gain as many nomad camps as possible short of the last one, then connect treasure maps, then buy the last one, then buy province and mandarin every turn for the rest of the game.

If we're dreaming....

You wouldn't be guaranteed to have a Nomad camp along with your Golds each turn. But you could play King's Court - Scheme, Nomad Camp, Gold x4. Buy Province, Mandarin. Top-deck Golds, King's Court, Scheme, Nomad Camp. Repeat.

You can replace Nomad camp with anything that gives +buy and at least +1$.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 02:33:38 pm »

If we're dreaming....

You wouldn't be guaranteed to have a Nomad camp along with your Golds each turn. But you could play King's Court - Scheme, Nomad Camp, Gold x4. Buy Province, Mandarin. Top-deck Golds, King's Court, Scheme, Nomad Camp. Repeat.

Why not? I mean, if your opponent attacks you or something, sure. But this can happen in the other case, too (minion). To be clear, from "Gain as..." through "but the last one", I am describing consecutive plays on the same turn. So, something like (and I don't know how you GET to this point, but hey, it's a dream) 9x play ironworks gaining nomad camp. The top 9 card of my deck are now nomad camps. Then play treasure map, reveal another, etc. I now have on top of my deck 4 golds on top of 9 nomad camps. Then somehow gain a nomad camp (actually, as I think about it, you could have even gained the last one with all the others). So your next hand is Nomad camp/Goldx4. You have $14 and 2 buys, buy province and mandarin. Buying mandarin makes you but all 4 golds in play back on your deck (where previously the top 9 cards were all nomad camp). Then you draw nomad camp and those 4 golds again. You can keep doing this over and over until you've used all (up to 10) nomad camps, or all the mandarins, or the game ends.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 02:52:49 pm »

If we're dreaming....

To be clear, from "Gain as..." through "but the last one", I am describing consecutive plays on the same turn.

I didn't get that part; thought you were just talking about loading your deck up with Nomad Camps previous to that turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Lhurgoyf

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:29 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/16/game-20130116-162612-51d017d3.html

I did it solo with some help from:
Village (needed because you have to play Ironworks after... oh no you play it before, so don't need a Village)
Chapel + Scrying Pool to enable fast Deckdraw of Ironworks
Cellar (for the cases when you draw 4x Ironworks + Chapel and not Scrying Pools)
Ironworks

And ofc the 3 cards Treasure Map, Nomad Camp, Mandarin

Ok if you cross out the Village, it is still a 6-card combo. But I think these are the kinds of combo this thread is about :D.
Treasure Map, Nomad Camp, Mandarin, Chapel, Ironworks, Scrying Pool

PS: I know I played bad in the actual game overtrashing Copper and buying the unneeded Villages, so by turn 14 I had the Camps and Golds top-decked, end at turn 22. Might retry this one.

2nd attempt: Combo set on turn 10, end on turn 18
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/16/game-20130116-163933-9c023f0d.html

I think Chapel/Potion is better than Chapel/Ironworks for a start, what do you think? If you get the Potion later with your Ironworks, your turn will end, because you get no actions back.
Can you think of Actions other than Scrying Pool that can draw those huge amounts of Ironworks?
Or maybe a deck with many +buys but not enough $ to outbuy the Provinces, yet enough to buy Nomad Camps? (Highly unlikely, I guess)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:45:32 pm by Lhurgoyf »

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 08:10:31 pm »
+1

I just did one that I enjoyed but shows up terribly on the log so I'll just explain it.

My deck was an engine that could draw itself and then some, and it had a Courtyard it didn't really need. My opponent had a Masquerade that had forced me to give him a Wharf and a Silver earlier because I was stupid. So at the end of each turn I put one of my coppers back on top and each time he played Masquerade I had a copper to give him.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 09:13:25 pm »

Anything involving a card from Dark Ages.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2013, 10:24:06 pm »

But I think these are the kinds of combo this thread is about :D.
Definitely one of the things I want to see - the combos so blatantly ridiculous that even after finding the magical kingdom that supports them the only reason you get to pull them off is because your opponent is laughing so hard at them.

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »

Definitely one of the things I want to see - the combos so blatantly ridiculous that even after finding the magical kingdom that supports them the only reason you get to pull them off is because your opponent is laughing so hard at them.
KC, highway, bridge, ironworks engine
KC->KC-> 3x(Highway) -> 3x(Highway) -> KC -> 3x(Bridge) -> 3x(Highway) -> KC -> 3x(Ironworks) (iron works for province 3 times) -> 3x(Ironworks for province 3 times) -> (3x Bridge), play any remaining bridges, buy victory cards until you run out of buys
If you get another highway or bridge in there you could run out colonies.
I've never been able to get this to work but I've tried KC bridge and ironworks once, but it needs a lucky draw to work

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2013, 11:41:35 pm »

KC, highway, bridge, ironworks engine
KC->KC-> 3x(Highway) -> 3x(Highway) -> KC -> 3x(Bridge) -> 3x(Highway) -> KC -> 3x(Ironworks) (iron works for province 3 times) -> 3x(Ironworks for province 3 times) -> (3x Bridge), play any remaining bridges, buy victory cards until you run out of buys
If you get another highway or bridge in there you could run out colonies.
I've never been able to get this to work but I've tried KC bridge and ironworks once, but it needs a lucky draw to work

KC-Highway is not that great because Highway cost reduction doesn't stack with KC, so the only benefit of KC-Highway is to draw more cards and get more actions.  You can get better mileage in that area by KCing other actions like Governor.  KC-Bridge cost reduction does stack.  With both KC and Bridge available, why not just go for KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge?  That'll clear all the Provinces.  I guess doing it with IW is a little more fun though. :P

serakfalcon

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 12:09:22 am »

KC-Highway is not that great because Highway cost reduction doesn't stack with KC
Yeah, the real use of that card in the engine is to get more actions and cards. Ironworks Province FTW

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2013, 08:53:59 pm »

Opening Mint/Squire. I posted about it as soon as the card was revealed, but I haven't seen how it plays yet. I can imagine it being quite powerful with the silver gain.

Jerk of All trades

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 01:52:32 pm »

Mint squire is not great.  It's too slow to get going again after lowering the total value of your deck to 3. And you cant squire a silver+ mint a silver in the same turn. and they will collide often.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.