Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Pet tricks you haven't tried yet  (Read 40470 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Pet tricks you haven't tried yet
« on: November 28, 2012, 12:12:12 am »
+2

Because there are plenty of combos that you want to one day be able to say "I did that ... and lost 500-0" about.

I look forward to playing Workshop (or similar) + Fortress + Watchtower. Or, for that matter, any gainer + Watchtower + on-trasher.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Re: Pet tricks you haven't tried yet
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:14:33 am »
+1

Have a deck with heaps of Coppers which is effectively super-slim because they are always in the discard pile due to Counting Houses.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 12:33:51 am »
+1

I've never seriously tried Golden Deck or a pin.  I wanna!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:09 am »
+1

I've never seriously tried Golden Deck or a pin.  I wanna!

Come play a Chapel/Bishop or KC/Goons/Masquerade game with me.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »

I've just noticed another crazy case that I'd love to have the excuse to play - key cards are Mining Village, Highway, Band of Misfits and either Graverobber or Rogue. Play Highway twice, play BoM as MV and trash, and then get it back from the trash knowing that if I'd just played Mining Village I wouldn't be able to retrieve it this turn.

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:16:59 pm »

Golem, Mining Village, Possession.

The aim here is to have a deck with many Golems, a few Possessions, and no other actions (play the MV as a source of funds, Embargo may also work)

Use Golem to double-Possess almost every turn.

(Edit: MV is better than Treasure because you can retrieve it with the Golem)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »

I worked out recently that against unsuspecting opponents, you can King's Court-Scheme-Bureaucrat to pin them indefinitely while you buy out the provinces. I did some research and discovered, no, it has been discussed before, and KC-Scheme pretty much perfectly counters it... so it's something to do against a newbie when I'm having a bad day I guess.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 03:30:26 am »

Because there are plenty of combos that you want to one day be able to say "I did that ... and lost 500-0" about.

I look forward to playing Workshop (or similar) + Fortress + Watchtower. Or, for that matter, any gainer + Watchtower + on-trasher.
Heck, I'm just looking forward to any combination of Dark Ages + Watchtower.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:57 am »

Swindling Prize/Spoils/Madman/Mercenary into curse, Remaking copper into Province, buying a triple
Embargoed Province with trader in hand...
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
+5

The one I want to try is Rats + Rats + Watchtower + Fortress.

Completely useless (expect maybe in a gardens deck) but would be amusing enough just to see the other guys reaction when I get all the remaining rats in one turn.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 12:02:44 am »
+3

Up until just now, Talisman+Royal Seal+Treasure Map was on this list for me.

Then this happened: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/30/game-20121130-203441-ca697024.html
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 10:02:51 am »
+2

I've just noticed another crazy case that I'd love to have the excuse to play - key cards are Mining Village, Highway, Band of Misfits and either Graverobber or Rogue. Play Highway twice, play BoM as MV and trash, and then get it back from the trash knowing that if I'd just played Mining Village I wouldn't be able to retrieve it this turn.

Reminds me of trashing a Mining Village and making enough money to... buy a Mining Village.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 04:13:40 pm »

Reminds me of trashing a Mining Village and making enough money to... buy a Mining Village.
I think I've done that before. Usually when I've trashed the MV thinking "I'll put those $2 towards a Province or other useful buy", then realised I'd messed up my count, but I had a Woodcutter-equivalent so I had a spare buy and $4 spare ... just enough to replace the MV.

Heck, I'm just looking forward to any combination of Dark Ages + Watchtower.
Oh, me too, definitely, but for some reason the idea of gaining a Fortress, then trashing it to get it into hand just in time to play it amuses me. Watchtower + Market Square must be a bit of a lark too.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 04:53:17 pm »

I've never managed to get Double Tac to work, hopefully one day...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 05:50:44 pm »

The one I want to try is Rats + Rats + Watchtower + Fortress.

Completely useless (expect maybe in a gardens deck) but would be amusing enough just to see the other guys reaction when I get all the remaining rats in one turn.

Vineyards?
Well you *do* need a signature...

footsies

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 10:37:17 pm »
+1

Up until just now, Talisman+Royal Seal+Treasure Map was on this list for me.

Then this happened: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/30/game-20121130-203441-ca697024.html

I recently got Talisman/Watchtower/Treasure Map to line up. Four golds topdecked on turn 5. Very satisfying, although I did play the rest of the game all wrong and squeaked out a win.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53:32 pm »
+4

With the Farmland pile empty, three Farmlands and $6 in hand, Ambassadoring two Farmlands then buying a Farmland back to Farmland the third Farmland into a Province. Bonus points if this empties the Province pile.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:58 pm »

Amassing a Treasury stack and gaining Victory cards without buying them to get free money every turn. 6 Treasuries, buy Border Village is a Duchy every turn! And completely impractical.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
+4

With the Farmland pile empty, three Farmlands and $6 in hand, Ambassadoring two Farmlands then buying a Farmland back to Farmland the third Farmland into a Province. Bonus points if this empties the Province pile.
The cool thing about this is, unless your opponent has a lighthouse in play or for some reason chooses to block with a moat (in which case you could ambassador a lone farmland back!), this nets you 0 points over your opponent.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 12:19:22 am »

This is one occasion where it would be neat for Farmland to have been on-gain, since you would then force your opponent to Remodel one of his cards when he doesn't necessarily want to (perhaps just after a Militia).

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 11:08:23 pm »

Tournament, win a prize, drawing it, then immediately upgrade it into a Poor House.

I can't really see wanting to do it that much, but here's a scenario where I believe it's empirically the best play (as it's the only move which gives you a guaranteed victory)
You're 9 points down, there's 1 Colony left, more Provinces than that because your opponent hasn't gained any, no +buy and piles aren't about to run out. Your hand is Tournament/Upgrade/Province/King's Court/Watchtower. The top card of your deck is any cantrip (let's go for Pearl Diver).
You play Tournament, discard the Province, take any prize. You play upgrade, trashing the prize, gaining a poor house, revealing watchtower to top deck it. Then you play your Pearl Diver, drawing the poor house, and KC it for +$12, and buy the Colony for the win.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 10:35:54 am »

Tournament, win a prize, drawing it, then immediately upgrade it into a Poor House.

I can't really see wanting to do it that much, but here's a scenario where I believe it's empirically the best play (as it's the only move which gives you a guaranteed victory)
You're 9 points down, there's 1 Colony left, more Provinces than that because your opponent hasn't gained any, no +buy and piles aren't about to run out. Your hand is Tournament/Upgrade/Province/King's Court/Watchtower. The top card of your deck is any cantrip (let's go for Pearl Diver).
You play Tournament, discard the Province, take any prize. You play upgrade, trashing the prize, gaining a poor house, revealing watchtower to top deck it. Then you play your Pearl Diver, drawing the poor house, and KC it for +$12, and buy the Colony for the win.

Upgrading Diadem into a Poor House in a Vineyards game?  Particularly if the Duchy pile is empty.
Well you *do* need a signature...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 10:47:28 am »
+1

The cool thing about this is, unless your opponent has a lighthouse in play or for some reason chooses to block with a moat (in which case you could ambassador a lone farmland back!), this nets you 0 points over your opponent.

"For some reason"... your opponent would most likely reveal Moat, because he wouldn't know yet that you were planning on giving him points with Ambassador.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2013, 03:14:00 pm »
+10

With $12 and 2 buys, buying a Province, letting your opponent trash his Fool's Gold, then buying a Noble Brigand.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 07:58:26 pm »

Swindling Prize/Spoils/Madman/Mercenary into curse

I swindled two prices of my opponent and got swindled one of my own on the same game. It is so fucked up.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.