Author Topic: Oasis  (Read 4624 times)

RD

• Thief
  • Respect: +70
    • View Profile
Oasis
« on: November 27, 2012, 06:13:49 pm »
+1

Where Dark Ages forces you to consider the ramifications of replacing Estates with Shelters, Hinterlands has gently invited you to replace Silver with Oasis. Perhaps no other card yet printed fits Silver's "neutral <$3 supporting card" niche this well. As a result, this article is almost as much about Silver as it is Oasis; I'll examine the strengths and weaknesses of each. (With this said, of course it's possible to pass up both cards and buy nothing; or to buy one card early and the other later.)

First, and perhaps most obvious, is the money. Oasis gives you a card to replace itself, then effectively replaces your weakest card with a Copper. In the early game this is on average slightly inferior to Silver's flat $2, but a lot better than a flat $1 or $0. (A more nuanced look at the opening probabilities may yield further insight, and I might run some stats in the next draft if the community deems it worth making one; unfortunately I can't at the moment.)

Later in the game, the monetary values of Silver and Oasis can diverge more widely. A deck that trashes Estates might quickly find its Oases neutral or even detrimental, as it no longer has any targets which would benefit from "turning into Copper." Even without trashing, straightforward deckbuilding can often reduce the chances of Oasis finding junk to discard in a given hand. Notably, Oasis itself can interfere with another Oasis (although no more than Silver would interfere with an Oasis). For these reasons, Oasis is generally a poor fit in Big Money variants.

None of this is an absolute dealbreaker; Silver too can outlive its usefulness! But if you do opt to raise your deck's strength without lowering the proportion of viable Oasis targets it contains, you might find Oasis outperforming Silver somewhat. This could happen as a result of Copper trashing or some degree of Cursing (especially Sea Hags) from your opponent; or of buying alt-VP cards. Tunnel obviously fits here too. Another option is large hand sizes, which of course make you more likely to find junk even when there's less of it in the deck. By contrast, handsize reducers such as Militia or opponents' Bishops are very bad for Oasis.

The second point of comparison between Oasis and Silver is that Silver clogs your deck more. Silver slows down your cycling, and interferes with combos in a way that Oasis does not. All strong players have realized there are times when Silver interferes more than it helps (and yet, tragically, might still be unavoidable). Oasis is preferable in many of these situations, although it's still possible on occasion to pass over both Oasis and Silver and buy nothing. But even in games when Silver is perfectly tolerable, Oasis might be better. Oasis/Moneylender provides nice cycling for the Moneylender and enough money to transition into many different decks. Players who open Horse Traders aiming for $5 turns, or Potion aiming for Apothecary/University, may feel that their economy is really pretty sufficient; they just want to play the opener (and their $5 or $2P cards) more often.

Finally, there are the little differences, which mostly stem from Oasis's being an Action rather than a Treasure. Vineyard, Scrying Pool, and Conspirator enjoy it, while Bank does not. Against Pirate Ship it's a no-brainer. Any engine or card that can replace the card Oasis discarded will get a big boost, including Minion and the "Draw to X" family (and Scrying Pool, from some perspectives).

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:36:05 pm by RD »

quasi

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:46:01 pm »
+1

The strongest case for oasis is menagerie.  Even in this case you still want a single silver, which I would still probably buy first in most boards.
Library et al are also important.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:44:45 pm »
+2

An oasis can clear the top of the deck after an attack such as a sea hag or fortune teller.

It's probably worth mentioning the income distribution from oasis compared to silver. The oasis is likely to deliver more hands with an average income whilst the silver will deliver some higher income hands. If there are no good 5 cost cards in the supply then you have to ask how the oasis is going to provide the important six coin hands needed for gold.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 11:20:41 pm »
+1

Also useful for Peddler.  But all non-terminals are.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:43:40 pm »
+2

Also great with Loan.

Serialian

• Steward
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 12:05:08 pm »

Oasis is one I thought could use a strategy article for a while. I'm nowhere near the skill of a lot of players on the board so I didn't decide to try to tackle it myself.

It's an interesting card. "A copper that requires me to use an action with it for the price of 3? Sign me up!" but it actually is kind of useful.

The only advantage it has over silver is the ability to cycle which really is pretty good.

Like poor house, oasis is a card that can make it up to a certain money threshhold and then has a hard time beating it. Getting higher than 5 is hard with an oasis... This makes it good for alternative VP strategies where A. You have a lot of trash to cycle and B. You're not really aiming that high coin wise.

It is much better in any situation where virtual money is superior to cash money. It works well as a starter for conspirators, excellent with minions, makes your peddlers cheaper and can help you clear out some of those copper to let you buy that grand market. It works well with double Tactician up to a point but you need to make sure that you are actually discarding something with the tact.

Menagerie was already mentioned but is excellent with it. Another nice pairing can be shanty town letting you get the cheap lab effect when you might otherwise miss it. Tunnel works OK, but I think that it alone is not enough to justify going tunnels.

To make the most use of it you need to have a large hand which means that you may want some draws. Non-terminal draws like lab, or caravan work well with that. Scrying pool loves them.

Like disappearing villages, it works well with static hand draws(Jack, Watchtower, Library) because you can discard the crap out of your hand and still have something to play with by ending with a library. 

It is not very good in colony games where your target cash is very high(unless you're using it to enable another card that can go high such as conspirator or grand markets)

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 01:06:08 pm »

Oasis can also be useful if you are playing engine and want to control your discard/draw deck. For instance take a Scrying Pool deck. You play 2 Oases and discard 2 Sp (drawing the last two cards in your deck); play a 3rd Oasis* and you are assured of having a Sp to start next turn. You can do similar tricks with a big engine to do things like: leave a village & draw card on deck top, top deck reactions (e.g. Market Square vs Knights), or give yourself a junk hand against a Minion deck.

Another (weak) synergy for Oasis is Counting house. You can better control your reshuffles (play/don't play Oasis) to not miss out on big Buy-a-Colony Chou plays, you can build value while discarding coppers you can just draw back, and the search space for hitting non-terminal +buy/Chou increases.

*Mistake corrected, thanks DE
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 08:07:58 pm by jomini »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:44:03 pm »

You play 2 Oases and discard 2 Sp (drawing the last two cards in your deck); play a 3rd Sp and you are assured of having a Sp to start next turn.

Wouldn't the third Scrying Pool draw the two you discarded?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:39:10 am »
+1

Hmm, seems to me that Oasis/Rebuild should be a winning combo. Oases help you reach $5 very reliably, allowing you to buy Rebuilds and Duchies. They also discard Victory cards from your hand, allowing your Rebuilds to get a crack at them.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.388 seconds with 20 queries.