Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Vineyards vs Goons  (Read 1591 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Vineyards vs Goons
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:46:07 am »

While sitting around in the lobby I was challenged to a game with very specific constraints. I was curious and accepted the proposed game. The first thing I noticed was that there were a possibility for Goons, but there weren't that much drawing power besides Shanty Town and cantrips and no trashing. There were also a lot of action cards that you could fuel Vineyards with. And then there were Platinum and Colonies. I decided to go for multi-Goons, while my opponent opted for Vineyards.

I am curious as how people would play this kingdom. I did it with multiple Goons, my opponent who proposed the game with the constraints went for Vineyards. Is it possible that Goons is a trap here and that it's easy to get super powered Vineyards? Note that at the end of the game, his Vineyards would be worth 6 points, witn 1 action away from being 7.

Anyways, I'm still not sure I went the right way, and that's why I'm posting it here.

[EDIT:] And here's the game. http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/27/game-20121127-063740-5c7b041f.html

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
Re: Vineyards vs Goons
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:15:59 am »

His turn 8 seems ridiculous. So does going for woodcutter herbalist over pawn as +buy. With shanty town festival, pawn would give much better options. Even tournament would. It looks like he kept getting stuck with 2 shanty town two action card turns. Piling out was an obvious risk he totally ignored. I think with goons on board, starting with it is the obvious play. And in a mirror match it more or  less automatically becomes a goons game. But had you mirrored his vineyard rush, you'd both have only half as many actions and a fast pile-out and it would be much more luck based, who drew potion first or who started greening when the piles started running low.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:12:41 am »

His turn 8 seems ridiculous. So does going for woodcutter herbalist over pawn as +buy. With shanty town festival, pawn would give much better options. Even tournament would. It looks like he kept getting stuck with 2 shanty town two action card turns. Piling out was an obvious risk he totally ignored. I think with goons on board, starting with it is the obvious play. And in a mirror match it more or  less automatically becomes a goons game. But had you mirrored his vineyard rush, you'd both have only half as many actions and a fast pile-out and it would be much more luck based, who drew potion first or who started greening when the piles started running low.

agree with all this, except i think herbalist is better than pawn in a vineyard deck in the abstract (putting the potion back really helps). but goons + tournament ---> it can't really be a vineyard deck.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:58 am »

agree with all this, except i think herbalist is better than pawn in a vineyard deck in the abstract (putting the potion back really helps). but goons + tournament ---> it can't really be a vineyard deck.
I certainly agree with that. 1 or 2 herbalists would be good in a vineyard deck. If this was a vineyard deck. My point was he should have tried for 8 pawns 2 herbalists instead of the other way around. Besides, with 7 potions putting one back would probably give him a 5 potion hand. :o
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.