Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Some Treasure - Duration cards  (Read 2241 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Some Treasure - Duration cards
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:26:26 pm »

A quick search shows that the "Treasure - Duration" space has been explored, but not particularly deeply. So what would such a card be? Here are some thoughts:

Sapphire - $2
Treasure - Duration
Now and at the start of your next Buy phase, +$1.

This is a tricky one to price, since it's almost always worse than Fishing Village or Lighthouse but I don't think it's poor enough to be $1. Having the effect trigger in the Buy phase is a little different to the Action - Durations, but I think it ties in nicely with Treasures in general (and does odd things with Black Market). A similar card suggested in another thread was Interest, which would give +$2 the next turn.

Diamond - $5
Treasure - Duration
+$2
At the start of your next Buy phase, if this is the only Diamond in play, +$2. Otherwise, +$1.

Because Diamond's value is driven by its scarcity, of course. And it produces a slightly different kind of player interaction.

Investment - $5
Treasure - Duration
+$0
---
At the start of your Clean-up phase, if you did not buy any cards this turn, set aside your played Treasures. At the start of your next turn, discard this and place the set-aside cards into your hand.

A sort of cross between Haven and Madman, with maybe a hint of Tactician and Herbalist. Great for powering up megaturns when you don't quite get all the cards you need first time around. I'm actually a little suspicious of how powerful it is (or whether there's a bad timing interaction I haven't considered), and whether the card should be trashed rather than discarded.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
Re: Some Treasure - Duration cards
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:07:05 pm »

I think Diamond is too similar to Merchant Ship to exist, and Sapphire to Lighthouse. This is one of the reasons I don't think Treasure-Durations can work, the +1$ Duration and +2$ Duration is already taken.

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:09:30 pm »

I agree, it's a funny space to work in, hence why I was trying to find something that hasn't really been covered. I agree that Diamond shares some similarities with Merchant Ship. I suppose the main difference is in Diamond giving, on average, less $, versus Merchant Ship being a terminal Action. Finding a way to make a +$1 TD work is probably the hardest one, since there are two ADs to compare to rather than just MS for +$2. And of course, a +$3 would probably wind up being more expensive than a Province, making it a rather poor fit in most Kingdoms.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:26 pm »

Isn't Diamond strictly worse than Merchant Ship?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:52 pm »

It's a treasure, you can't draw it dead.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »

It's a treasure, you can't draw it dead.
missed that
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:38:48 am »

Shouldn't you use the term "worth" instead of the plus? It's kind of confusing otherwise. +$ usually means it's an Action card.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:33 am »

My take on Investment:

Worth $0
----
At the beginning of your next turn, +$1 for each 2 Coin (rounded down) that you did not spend in this Buy phase.

(This way lets you set up exponential growth if you get a lot of them :) You need at least 5 and a draw-your-deck engine, though.)

Another thought I had:

Monopoly
Worth $2

Name a card other than Monopoly. While this card is in play, no other player may buy the named card.
----
At the beginning of every turn, if you did not buy the named card last turn, trash this.

(The mechanic lets you 'compete' with other Monopolies, resulting in both being trashed, to break someone else's grip.)

ConMan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 07:20:04 pm »

Shouldn't you use the term "worth" instead of the plus? It's kind of confusing otherwise. +$ usually means it's an Action card.
Probably. If you had a Treasure-Duration, though, would you make it "Worth $1 - Next turn, worth $1" with appropriate pictures as well, or would you make the next-turn bit +$1?

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 02:22:40 pm »

A twist on the Investment idea:

Savings: $2
Treasure - Duration

Worth 1 or set this card aside and return it to your hand at the start of your next turn

So its a Haven that can only be used for copper (reduces hand size by one and leaves action total the same), but it can be used multiple turns in a row so you can stack a pile of them up (which really only gets in the way of Watchtower/Library and Menagerie) and is a treasure so I think its different enough. Given all the times I get stuck one coin short, I think it could have its uses.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.