Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tempted by terrible cards  (Read 1012 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Tempted by terrible cards
« on: November 23, 2012, 11:33:21 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/23/game-20121123-081955-c8a4dbb1.html

Jorbles_ wins!
Hamlets, Highways, and Great Halls are all gone.

cards in supply: Contraband, Great Hall, Hamlet, Herbalist, Highway, Moneylender, Outpost, Potion, Saboteur, Vineyard, and Woodcutter
Default card selection was used.  The point tracker will be available.
----------------------

#1 Jorbles_: 28 points (3 Vineyards [19 action cards], 7 Great Halls, and 3 Estates); 13 turns
          opening: Moneylender / Silver
          [30 cards] 7 Great Halls, 5 Hamlets, 5 Highways, 3 Vineyards, 1 Moneylender, 1 Woodcutter, 2 Coppers, 1 Silver, 2 Potions, 3 Estates

#2 tucker: 16 points (2 Vineyards [18 action cards], 3 Estates, and a Great Hall); 13 turns
        opening: Silver / Moneylender
        [29 cards] 5 Hamlets, 5 Highways, 4 Herbalists, 2 Vineyards, 2 Woodcutters, 1 Great Hall, 1 Moneylender, 3 Coppers, 1 Silver, 2 Potions, 3 Estates

A clear Vineyard board if I've ever seen one. We mirrored each other opening Moneylender/Silver and then transitioning into Hamlets and Highways with an eye towards Great Halls and Vineyards. I won because I managed to get 2 Potions before a reshuffle and got lucky enough to buy out most of the Great Halls in a single turn. That's not what I want to ask everyone about though.

I was really really considering buying both an Outpost and a Contraband on this board. Would either have given one of us an edge in our strategy or was I right to resist my urge to find niche situations for bad cards? Obviously it would mean skipping a Highway, but it might give a chance to catch it up later. Also there is definitely not enough time for both an Outpost and a Contraband so it's gotta be one or the other. I'd lean towards Outpost if I were going to try one (that extra turn will almost always gain you a cheap action or a Vineyard), but I do see Contraband being possible.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Tempted by terrible cards
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:44:04 am »

Outpost? Yeah why not?

It's not a killer on this board, with only light trashing and no increase for handsize. You don't lack buys due to Hamlets, on the other hand a buy costs you a card, and with not handsize increase. But there's also something to buy with not that great hands, Hamlet, GH, Vineyard.
Contraband I'm not that sure, you don't need the buy urgently, you also don't really need the money, so I would say Outpost yes, Contraband no.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Tempted by terrible cards
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 11:45:47 am »

I would probably have just gotten another Potion over Contraband or Outpost here.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 20 queries.