Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Optimizing your level  (Read 33513 times)

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Optimizing your level
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2011, 02:53:29 pm »

I don't actually hate Duke all that much, though yeah it is a card I'm not that good with.  One of the times I rejected it was obviously a bad Duke board and all the other cards looked like they'd interact in interesting ways; another time Horse Traders was on there and I thought the obvious combo would make for a boring game.

Basically, I wanted to explicitly avoid the situation where everyone's just always vetoing cards like Familiar.  Now that "random" is an option I expect to use it most of the time instead.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »

I didn't get the impression RANDOM forced the other player to veto a random card, though? Or is that really how it works? I mean, what I'd personally use is a mode that offers no vetoes and no possibility of declining after seeing the board.

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »

I wouldn't play in a tournament where the director banned cards in an attempt to shorten games. There's no small, targeted way to do that, and any blunt hammer you try ("Let's ban all Villages!") is either not going to work or it's going to create a competitive situation that is unrecognizable to people who know how to play the actual game of Dominion.

Wasn't necessarily making the case for banning cards, just saying I could see a use for it.  I enjoy playing with any card, any time, but I would hardly think a tournament that banned, say, Possession would make the game unrecognizeable as Dominion.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2011, 04:50:53 pm »

I would hardly think a tournament that banned, say, Possession would make the game unrecognizeable as Dominion.
Did I say that?

Banning only Possession, if the goal is to avoid long games, is in the "not going to work" category, not the "unrecognizable" category.

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 05:00:40 pm »

I would hardly think a tournament that banned, say, Possession would make the game unrecognizeable as Dominion.
Did I say that?

Banning only Possession, if the goal is to avoid long games, is in the "not going to work" category, not the "unrecognizable" category.

It's in your quote, referring to villages not possession specifically.  Which I think was facetious, anyway, just to make a point.  Regardless, we're on the same side of this... I want to play with all the cards.  I was only saying that I could see a reason for banning some notorious cards, whether they lengthen tournament time, or time spent on isotropic.  It would be, and is, our choice to not join such games.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2011, 03:27:40 am »

Starting with tonight's update, games that have cards forced (or prohibited) via the "require card(s)" box will no longer count towards the leaderboard.

Will the leaderboard be updated retroactively? If not, expect Paralyzed to never leave the #1 spot...

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2011, 07:01:20 am »

Your name disappears after a time of inactivity, so unless he plays some eligible games won't he go?  And if he does play eligible games, I doubt he has the skill to keep his spot.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2011, 08:45:15 am »

Man, it'd be fun to see a retroactive update... since I'd probably move up a lot of places ;)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:27 am »

Man, it'd be fun to see a retroactive update... since I'd probably move up a lot of places ;)

Excellent idea!

I've been agreeing with pretty much everything you've said on this thread. The unpopular cards (Ambassador, Sea Hag, Possession etc) seem to be cards that significantly change any game they are in, and the huge variance from game to game is probably the best thing about Dominion. I actually really like most of the unpopular cards. I don't mind a longer game, and although it can be a pain to be at the receiving end of some cards, particularly Possession (in fact, today I had my Tactician turn possessed  >:(), it can be equally fun to inflict that pain. ;D

I think Dominion at its purest and best is 10 totally random cards, and that is how I play almost all of my games. I don't mind veto mode, but often I'll be sitting there thinking "Please don't veto that card! It's so much fun!"

Taco Lobster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2011, 01:26:25 pm »

Stupid question - what exactly has Paralyzed been doing?  Always playing the same board, which he has mastered?

Brando Commando

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +112
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2011, 01:41:41 pm »

Stupid question - what exactly has Paralyzed been doing?  Always playing the same board, which he has mastered?

Yup. http://councilroom.com/search_result?p1_name=Paralyzed

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2011, 01:44:53 pm »

Yes. The KC/KC/Goons/Masquerade pin.

Games with requirements don't count for the leaderboard anymore though, as of a couple weeks ago.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2011, 12:12:40 pm »

Starting with tonight's update, games that have cards forced (or prohibited) via the "require card(s)" box will no longer count towards the leaderboard.

Will the leaderboard be updated retroactively? If not, expect Paralyzed to never leave the #1 spot...

Your name disappears after a time of inactivity, so unless he plays some eligible games won't he go?  And if he does play eligible games, I doubt he has the skill to keep his spot.

He probably will stay there until the official version is out and isotropic goes down.
What he - i. e. this account - currently does is playing one game per week for instance against his brother in mind Horny Toad (wouldn't be surprised if they know each other quite well).

Here is an recent effort against a level 0 player where he risked to play without card restrictions:
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110916-232712-5ec9aaf4.html

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »

That game log actually made me lol.
Another mining village? Hahahaha.
I suppose it's possible he was playing for the oscarthegrouch achievement...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2011, 12:51:21 pm »

Here is an recent effort against a level 0 player where he risked to play without card restrictions:

This warms the cockles of my heart.

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2011, 01:42:02 pm »

I only play 2 or 3 games a day, (which apparently is NOT good for my level). And while I don't care about my level, I do check it every day out of curiosity. I am more interested in learning how to play a board right, reviewing a game and cringing at my mistakes along the way.

I need to "get over" silver, as I often wind up with 9 or more in my deck, it's a big hurdle...and I generally rarely buy more than 3 action cards all game.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2011, 05:38:02 am »

He probably will stay there until the official version is out and isotropic goes down.
What he - i. e. this account - currently does is playing one game per week for instance against his brother in mind Horny Toad (wouldn't be surprised if they know each other quite well).

To be continued - here is the last game he played to stay on the leaderboard:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111014-005352-a43ec438.html

I except him to play one such a game every week against Horny Toad and he already doesn't even try to hide the fact, that the game is a fake. I think it would be a good solution to filter out these two accounts from the leaderboard forever.

I realize that another good solution would be to simply ignore him, alas ... it's not so easy ;-)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2011, 06:18:33 am »

He's found two ways of manipulating the ranking system. I'm sure there are more. If you banned the login then he'd still be able to use another method to get himself to the top, if he wanted. He doesn't seem to have realised that using his time and effort to cheat a ranking system just marks him out as an idiot.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2011, 06:22:54 am »

He's found two ways of manipulating the ranking system. I'm sure there are more. If you banned the login then he'd still be able to use another method to get himself to the top, if he wanted. He doesn't seem to have realised that using his time and effort to cheat a ranking system just marks him out as an idiot.

As probably the worst cases of manipulation are gone, I think it will be difficult to come so high so easy again. But I don't really care, obviously it's easy to ignore the top of the leaderboard if you are far away...

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2011, 10:24:56 am »

I realize that another good solution would be to simply ignore him, alas ... it's not so easy ;-)
I find it exactly so easy as that, actually!

ChaosRed

• Duke
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2011, 02:07:07 pm »

I hope I don't come across as too judgmental, but what kind of a ragged ego would ever engineer such a thing? It's like buying a trophy from a store and hanging it on your mantle at work. I mean, we all have battered and bruised self-esteem at times, but this has got to take the cake.

Wow.

Weird.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2011, 11:51:54 am »

I'm pretty sure Paralyzed and Horny Toad are the same person. Each of those accounts have been playing the same setup.

Just one comment about banning cards in a tournament. It's pretty common for tournament holders to select the cards for each game, thereby effectively "banning" all the cards that weren't selected. Is this not really Dominion? In fact, in the World Championship at Essen, Donald had personally selected the cards for each of the six rounds. (Possession was one of the "banned" cards! :) )

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2011, 11:58:18 am »

Just one comment about banning cards in a tournament. It's pretty common for tournament holders to select the cards for each game, thereby effectively "banning" all the cards that weren't selected. Is this not really Dominion? In fact, in the World Championship at Essen, Donald had personally selected the cards for each of the six rounds. (Possession was one of the "banned" cards! :) )
There are very few people I would trust to compile sets of 10 that will provide a better competitive landscape than random draws. Certainly I'm not such a person! There have been local tournaments around where I live with pre-compiled Kingdoms, and without exception I've seen them and thought the organizers did a terrible job of it ;) But as long as the goal of pre-compiled sets is to create an interesting competitive landscape, the person compiling them is good at it, and (critically) the sets are not revealed until the players sit down to play them, that's probably OK.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2011, 11:59:23 am »

According to the base game rulebook:

For the first game, we recommend using
the following 10 Kingdom cards: Cellar,
Market, Militia, Mine, Moat, Remodel,
Smithy, Village, Woodcutter, and
Workshop. At the end of the rules, we list
more suggestions for sets of 10 Kingdom
cards. Return Kingdom cards not chosen
for the game to the box.
In later games, players can choose the 10
Kingdom cards using any method they
agree on.

Thus, it IS really Dominion. The example given for a method to choose Kingdom Cards is by using the randomizers. It is just an example though. By the rules you can choose your set up however you want.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2011, 12:02:12 pm »

Has anyone been saying that compiled Kingdoms are not Dominion? I certainly don't recall ever making that argument, myself. What constitutes "Dominion" and what constitutes a suitable method for compiling a fair and accurate set of rankings (or organizing a fair tournament) are different questions, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.