Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Possession trickery  (Read 1422 times)

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
Possession trickery
« on: November 18, 2012, 02:40:54 pm »
+7

Obi Wan and I both claim not to understand Possession and not to like it either. The entire concept of "I want a bad deck" is so much against the nature of the game. I don't play veto a lot, but when I do this card always goes.

Often it just takes up space in the kingdom, because it's way too much trouble picking up. However, this being a colony game without +buy and with some pretty neat engine possibilities clearly meant it was going to be a long game, and possession had to be considered...

I was in denial for a while, building a conspirator engine with a clean deck as though it didn't exist. Cleaning the deck was another mistake btw, because +actions could only be generated by Tribute.

On turn 7 I buy a potion, followed by him on turn 8. We both start controlling each others turns and greening pretty short thereafter.

Still having a remodel in my deck by turn 12 is a mistake, as pointed out by Obi Wan getting two colonies and two provinces on "his" turn. I quickly get rid of it after that.
Another really bad card to have by now is Apprentice, because its so much better for the possessor then for yourself. Can't get rid of them both though. With another double-possession on his turn 15 he gets a very serious lead and I am without much hope.

But then, just in time, it strikes me. The most dangerous card here when possessed is not rebuild or apprentice, but in fact cartographer.

If I control his turn and apprentice the colonies, I draw his entire deck. Not good enough at that point. If I apprentice something worth a bit less, I still get to play cartographers to go through his deck twice. On the first round I discard all the junk and take the actions, and all that I need to do then is triggering a reshuffle. Leaving him with two completely dead turns and the game is mine after all...

Somehow, the next set also had possession and he rejected it ;)

(PS we had some great games today and although I didn't count I think we split them about equal)
Join the Dominion League!

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
Re: Possession trickery
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 04:54:06 pm »

If you can manage it, you don't really want a "bad deck" in the standard sense - you want an engine that can draw itself despite picking up lots of green, and play Possession multiple times, but which has destroyed its own economy.

What *I* don't like about Possession is that if everyone manages this, you're in a degenerate game state.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
Re: Possession trickery
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:23:17 pm »
+3

Uhg, I didn't need to be reminded of that game. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.