Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: College football  (Read 2973 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
College football
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:56:30 pm »

This has been a pretty great season, I think.  Mainly I am biased because I am a Notre Dame fan  ;D  But who saw this coming -- both Oregon and Kansas State losing tonight?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
Re: College football
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

I go to the U of M and my roommate happens to be a Notre Dame fan.  I can't say I saw it coming, but I sure heard it quite clearly when these teams lost  ;)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 06:10:37 pm »

A Notre Dame fan at the U of M?  That's just asking for trouble ...

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 06:21:49 pm »

I briefly followed college football the year Rutgers was good.

After the past few Big East raidings, the sport is pretty much dead to me now.  Which pretty much means I fit in, here in the northeast.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:34:38 am »

After the past few Big East raidings, the sport is pretty much dead to me now.  Which pretty much means I fit in, here in the northeast.

I remember that.  I was there for the night of the Louisville victory.  (I went to RU but am still bitter over the football team.  I root for ND because I was born there.)

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:37:47 pm »
+1

This has been a pretty great season, I think.  Mainly I am biased because I am a Notre Dame fan  ;D  But who saw this coming -- both Oregon and Kansas State losing tonight?

It's a great season if you enjoy controversy (which I think most fans of college football do). Now there's a reasonable chance that at the end of the year the only undefeated major conference team will be a team that will not have won a bowl game. Then the AP will be dying to make them #1 so they can write more articles about it...

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:34:39 pm »

I remember that.  I was there for the night of the Louisville victory.  (I went to RU but am still bitter over the football team.  I root for ND because I was born there.)

So, this thread prompted me to just check in and see what the CFB world is like, and apparently Rutgers is 9-1, in all the rankings, and is about to jump ship to the Big "10".  Huh.  Which is a move that makes me feel vaguely dirty, but I obviously can't blame them in the least.  At least Penn State and Maryland will be natural rivals!  Oh, if only Penn State had made that northeastern conference they wanted to put together in the '80s.

I don't think this is enough to get me to really follow the sport again, but it was all a pleasant surprise.

(I went to a tiny liberal-arts school that cut football my senior year of high school.  However, I grew up in NJ and my dad went to Rutgers, so they've always been the obvious team to root for.)
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 03:44:30 pm »
+1

So, this thread prompted me to just check in and see what the CFB world is like, and apparently Rutgers is 9-1, in all the rankings, and is about to jump ship to the Big "10".  Huh.  Which is a move that makes me feel vaguely dirty, but I obviously can't blame them in the least.  At least Penn State and Maryland will be natural rivals!  Oh, if only Penn State had made that northeastern conference they wanted to put together in the '80s.

I don't think this is enough to get me to really follow the sport again, but it was all a pleasant surprise.

(I went to a tiny liberal-arts school that cut football my senior year of high school.  However, I grew up in NJ and my dad went to Rutgers, so they've always been the obvious team to root for.)

growing up in jersey certainly made it tricky to get into college football. i would nominally root for rutgers if put to it but i don't think i ever watched a single game. college basketball was slightly more interesting with the addition of seton hall but still not much to get excited about. a lack of quality teams in jersey is probably the reason i never did care much about college sports.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »
+1

This is a terrible season.

- Sincerely, a USC graduate.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 05:40:52 pm »
+3

So, this thread prompted me to just check in and see what the CFB world is like, and apparently Rutgers is 9-1, in all the rankings, and is about to jump ship to the Big "10".  Huh. 

It's actually "TEN" not "10", just to avoid confusion. You might think it was in base-(whatever number of teams are currently in the conference), in which case "10" would actually make sense.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 05:42:57 pm »

This is a terrible season.

- Sincerely, a USC graduate.

Karmic justice for hiring Lane Kiffin.

Dekryr

• Baron
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:05 pm »

I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan, got my Master's there. Really hoping they can pull one out tomorrow and then crush the Irish to continue the SEC dominance in college football.

Being from the Midwest and fairly young I grew up in a time where Notre Dame was no longer a dominant football power, but still got talked about an absurd amount. This really made me dislike them. I don't mind them getting pub when they have good teams and deserve it, but it annoyed me that they got press for being great years ago. It's cool, they used to be great, they're not now. Why don't we talk about some top 25 teams?

So I hate to do it, but I have to say Notre Dame is a good team this year. The defense is legit and keeps them in enough games that they were able to win every one so far. I don't think they are one of the 2 best teams in the country, hell Georgia probably isn't either, but the system doesn't work that way. So they get to play in the championship and hopefully UGA does too.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 06:52:03 pm »
+1

So, this thread prompted me to just check in and see what the CFB world is like, and apparently Rutgers is 9-1, in all the rankings, and is about to jump ship to the Big "10".  Huh. 

It's actually "TEN" not "10", just to avoid confusion. You might think it was in base-(whatever number of teams are currently in the conference), in which case "10" would actually make sense.
Wouldn't "10" be pronounced "TEN" in all bases?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 20 queries.