Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: King's Court as nothing more than Remodel and Remake fodder  (Read 3095 times)

Wingnut

• Golem
  • Respect: +75
    • View Profile
King's Court as nothing more than Remodel and Remake fodder
« on: November 16, 2012, 11:31:45 pm »
+1

What a strange game here.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/16/game-20121116-202358-a8fba89d.html

Kingdom: Chapel, Herbalist, Swindler, Remake, Remodel, Horse Trader's, Feast, Militia, Farmland and King's Court

I just kind of played without thinking about a real strategy until late in the game and it ended up working (I was Nameless Cult Leader) as my opponent opened Chapel (likely out of habit given this kingdom) while I went with Remake/Swindler. Maybe I was aiming for KC-Swindler (which I did play once to almost no effect).

Still, this game came down to who could do a better job of Remaking and Remodeling their way to Provinces (that and the rare KC-Feast for 3 Duchies play on turn 16).

What say everyone else here since I still don't have the slightest idea how I would play this if I ever saw it again?

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Re: King's Court as nothing more than Remodel and Remake fodder
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:48:54 pm »

What a board, no +action or +cards! Opening Chapel/HT aiming for KC-HT for $9 and a Province is the strategy I'd pick here. A solo game where I get 3 HTs and 3 KCs gives me 4 Provinces in 17 turns (with an unlucky HT-Chapel draw after turn 2) and all 8 Provinces in just 23 turns. http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201211/25/game-20121125-174349-b93e152f.html
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:58 pm »

That's scarcely better than BM... you're way overbuilding IMHO by getting more than 1 HT and 1 KC early on; unless your deck starts getting big enough that they're hard to line up. You just can't build a big enough hand to play more than one KC'd HT anyway because of the discard. And greening early is fine as long as your deck is small, since lining up HT-KC is literally all you care about. Even at 7 provs, KC, HT and nothing else, it's 10/36 to line them up in a random hand.

Also I don't think I could ignore Militia as the only Attack on a Chapel board. Not on this board, and hardly ever in general. Especially since it throws a major monkey wrench in the above strat :) And let's not overlook that KC-Militia gets you a Farmland, or 3/4 of the way to a Province.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:00:00 pm by zahlman »

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:09:25 pm »

You're right about the overbuilding, I had tried it earlier with fewer KCs and HTs and didn't start choking until I got to one province remaining. And you're also right about it being ineffective against Militia, but I'm assuming the opponent doesn't realize that ;) This kingdom is pretty frustrating...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:09 pm »

Probably ignore anything fancy here and go for the minor Remodel + Farmland interaction. Militia and Swindler will help a little bit, but Remake will change Estates to Silvers and Remodel can change the Remake into Gold/Farmland when it's done.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:38 am »
+1

Swindler is a monster on chapel boards. That's the direction I'd go.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:30:45 am »

The title evokes fond memories of a match where my opponent's Governor let me upgrade my King's Court to the last Province in the supply.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

gamesou

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +337
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:41 am »

Not to mention that there is an obvious target for swindling those $4 cards (Feast!).
Designer of Chronos Conquest

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:12:33 am »

This reminds me of a game I had with marin where he hit my Chapel I think 4 consecutive times (after I rebought it).  Needless to say, I lost that game spectacularly. 
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Voltgloss

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +597
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 07:23:03 pm »

Also I don't think I could ignore Militia as the only Attack on a Chapel board. Not on this board, and hardly ever in general. Especially since it throws a major monkey wrench in the above strat :)

Am I missing something?  Seems to me a deck with lots of Horse Traders in it would have very little to fear from Militia.

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 10:11:18 pm »

Also I don't think I could ignore Militia as the only Attack on a Chapel board. Not on this board, and hardly ever in general. Especially since it throws a major monkey wrench in the above strat :)

Am I missing something?  Seems to me a deck with lots of Horse Traders in it would have very little to fear from Militia.

It's "immune" when you have KC-HT already in hand, but in the early game with HT-C-C-E-E unmilitia'd you'd have $5 to spend but militia'd you'd only have $3 to spend (you have to discard two cards twice).

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »

It's "immune" when you have KC-HT already in hand, but in the early game with HT-C-C-E-E unmilitia'd you'd have $5 to spend but militia'd you'd only have $3 to spend (you have to discard two cards twice).

that's not right, HT hard-counters militia. you still have a 5-card hand afterward, and you cycle.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 10:23:40 pm »

Don't forget that HT is a reaction...

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:46:17 pm »

Oh yeah, duh!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.