Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

How many users should we shoot for?

- 1 (2.1%)
- 11 (22.9%)
- 12 (25%)
Take what we can get (see greatexpectations quote)
- 16 (33.3%)
Theory's suggestion
- 8 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy 2012 Championships Poll  (Read 7469 times)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Dominion Strategy 2012 Championships Poll
« on: November 15, 2012, 01:40:58 pm »
+3

Just a simple poll for greatexpectations.  How many users should we expect this year? 

i would throw up a poll but i can't start threads at work. just ask if we want 128/256/512 whatever? we could just make an option to take what we get and then do a play in round i guess.

im pretty confident we could hit 512, especially if we try to stretch registration an extra few days. (again, that encourages us starting soon) the community has grown quite a bit, and we can make an effort to advertise on bgg, reddit, iso lobby in addition to the blog/forum/wiki.

Thanks GE/jonts.

I honestly doubt that you need a 512 player tournament.  I think that would be madness.  My suggestion would be:

240 open registration spots, first come first serve
16 spots for late entrants > level 40, or QF+ in last year's event.  If not all filled, then the next people who signed up, a bit late.

I do want to run the Kingdom Design Challenge again, which honestly was just as cool.  I'll put up a copy of Dominion or any expansion for both winners.

A Google Form would be best for populating all this stuff.  I would like to force all people to register on f.ds.  My plan is to make a post on the main blog with a link to a non-guest-viewable topic in this forum, containing the embedded form.

The form would ask:

f.ds username
Iso username
Time zone

After we collect all that data, rrenaud (if he loves us!) can run a script to scrape everyone's level from a random day for seeding, and then we'll put that into challonge.  Does that sound good?

What I can do is do all of the above, make posts, etc.  Where I am less interested in getting involved is:

* Coming up with a ruleset that will satisfy everyone
* Dealing with no-shows, logistics, and collection of results
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 02:02:52 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy 2012 Championships Poll
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:30 pm »
+1

What's the difference between "same as last year" and "theory's suggestion"?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 05:15:54 pm »

You got me
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 05:28:11 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:52:06 am by () | (_) ^/ »

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:53:00 pm »
+1

I'm not sure there is a diff between any of the options and my 'suggestion' -- AFAICT my suggestion is just that we should have auto-entries for high level people or people who did well in the DSC last year.  Maybe some people don't think we shouldn't have any automatic entry slots for > level 35 or 40 or whatever, but I am ok with the 241st guy with a negative level not getting in if it means prioritizing the 242nd guy who is marin.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:15 pm »

I'm not sure there is a diff between any of the options and my 'suggestion'

maybe they are thinking of your comment where you seemed to indicate that we should go with 256 players instead of 512. thats my guess anyway.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:22:05 am »

It seems the 3 options are pretty balanced. How long will the votes be collected? I can't wait to get this started. ;)

The problem might be that if we try to get 512 and then we get ~400 entries. What should we do? Wait? Cut at 256? Or play a qualifying round based on the ranking?
I think we should set up a deadline for the subscription and 2-3 days before that, we count how many entries we have and can still make a decision.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 11:27:21 am »

well if the polls are largely split then i think it is executive decision o'clock. we're still finalizing some of the logistics but we'll probably have something for you guys soon.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:40:02 am »

Yeah, it is probably best to just move forward soon.  For all we know only around 300 people sign up?

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:52:06 am »
+1

The problem might be that if we try to get 512 and then we get ~400 entries. What should we do?
I see no problem at all. If, for example, there are exactly 400 entries, to get 256 people we need to eliminate 144 of them. So we rank them any way the organizers decide to be fair (I guess it should be Isotropic ranking, signup time, random or some combination of those three), top 112 advances to round 2 without playing, remaining 288 form 144 pairs and play round 2. Then we have 256 people in round 2 and the tournament goes on till final.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:53:19 am by hsiale »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 12:16:50 pm »

I think we will cap it at 256.  If you register after 240 people have already registered, and you aren't level 35+, then too bad.  Even RisingJaguar was decently high level when he made his Cinderella run.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »
+1

I think we will cap it at 256.  If you register after 240 people have already registered, and you aren't level 35+, then too bad.  Even RisingJaguar was decently high level when he made his Cinderella run.

To be fair I play alot but I don't play on iso at all anymore, I like DA too much I tend to play RL now as I did last year so I suspect I'll be low seed if I make it in
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 12:53:45 pm »

Depending on how fast the signups go I think you should consider 512 people, and advertise it better somehow.  I know for 2011 a lot of people just didn't even see the signups.  I think it's better for community growth to have as many people participate as possible.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 02:27:45 pm »

The problem might be that if we try to get 512 and then we get ~400 entries. What should we do?
I see no problem at all. If, for example, there are exactly 400 entries, to get 256 people we need to eliminate 144 of them. So we rank them any way the organizers decide to be fair (I guess it should be Isotropic ranking, signup time, random or some combination of those three), top 112 advances to round 2 without playing, remaining 288 form 144 pairs and play round 2. Then we have 256 people in round 2 and the tournament goes on till final.

That was my third suggestion.
Or play a qualifying round based on the ranking?

But nevermind, I think we should just get the announcement out and then we'll see how many will sign up.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 02:41:51 pm »

I would definately sign up! I love me some Dominion Tournaments!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 09:08:39 am »
+1

I ended up limiting it to 256.  If something happens to Isotropic mid-tournament I would rather not be in the midst of a complicated bracket, plus Challonge does not handle it all that well.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 09:18:28 am »

Oooh, to play or not to play...

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 10:00:46 am »
+1

Oooh, to play or not to play...
that's not the question

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 10:11:00 am »

That is the question for me!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 10:16:29 am »
+2

A tourney of this nature adds a huge amount of excitement to playing dominion.  Playing these 7 game series are fantastic.  Against skilled players it's even better.  And when you manage to get into a game 7.... let's just say they can be pretty intense.  It's not hard to make time as you only need to play one match a week.  Also, you are the US Champion, you should be required to join  ;)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 02:49:08 am »
+1

I know I'm way too late with this comment, but just going to post a token vote of 'not comfortable' with this idea of slots reserved for level 30+ players.

If you want a mass participation tournament then make it free for all.  If you want an elite tournament then impose a minimum iso level.  This seems to be a petty hybrid of the two.  The message seems to be "anybody can play, but if someone more important comes along we might kick you out".

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:00 am »
+1

I know I'm way too late with this comment, but just going to post a token vote of 'not comfortable' with this idea of slots reserved for level 30+ players.

If you want a mass participation tournament then make it free for all.  If you want an elite tournament then impose a minimum iso level.  This seems to be a petty hybrid of the two.  The message seems to be "anybody can play, but if someone more important comes along we might kick you out".

I agree with this.
If you could explain to me why someone with a higher level should get priority over someone else who plays a lot, but isnt as good?

(I can see the exception that QF from last year are asked directly if they want a spot and that saved for them, because they have actually earned it by previously participating and doing well!)
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2012, 07:52:21 am »
+11

If you wanted to be guaranteed an entry -- there were 240 slots for you to sign up in.  You could just consider it a 240-person tournament with 16 bonus entries divvied up among first-come-first-served and very high-ranking players.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.