Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Taking a Break  (Read 15569 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Taking a Break
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:55 am »

I haven't played a ranked game for almost 2 months. It feels nice, because when I was ranked, I was trying to reach L40 before school started.

The problem that I have with playing unranked games is that you end up being pitted against players who have no idea what they're doing.
I'd like to point out that the fact that I'm ranked doesn't mean I know what I'm doing. :)
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:45 am »
+2

I haven't played a ranked game for almost 2 months. It feels nice, because when I was ranked, I was trying to reach L40 before school started.

The problem that I have with playing unranked games is that you end up being pitted against players who have no idea what they're doing.
Maybe it's easier to quit once you've become national champion.  ;)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 08:54:54 am »

Maybe it's easier to quit once you've become national champion.  ;)

As someone who hasn't played a serious game since Worlds (exception I just thought of: one live tourney a couple weeks later), I can confirm this is the case.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:56:04 am by Fabian »

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 08:01:10 am »
+1

Playing has become less and less fun for me. I'm very happy that I got all the way up to lvl 41 and #29 in the world, but that's about it for me. I accepted pretty much any match-up against ranked players, so when I lost one against a lower rated opponent, I didn't always handle it with class. I was only enjoying winning, not just playing. I actually thought to myself: "Why can't I just say gg at the end of a game, but always have to complain about luck?" Playing became compulsory, I always had to end on a win. So if I lost 5 games in a row, I had to play a 6th and before you know it, an hour had passed.

Jeez, that sounds like a not-as-bad version of me, except I don't even have a real rank as an excuse. D:

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 04:05:18 am »
+1

Gone one week without playing, woohoo!

Haven't missed it really.
I mean, when I used to read an article here, sometimes I would get excited and wanted to play immediately, but that's been subsiding.

Glad I haven't yielded yet. :)

Tomorrow is moving day, so exciting times!
And after a week or so living there we'll go and get some IKEA Expedits so I can finally put my games on display proudly!

Dave970

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »

I mean, when I used to read an article here, sometimes I would get excited and wanted to play immediately, but that's been subsiding.

And after a week or so living there we'll go and get some IKEA Expedits so I can finally put my games on display proudly!

Wait, wait... IKEA is a real thing over there, not just another joke played on us dumb Americans for our money, like "Chinese food"?  I mean, I've got some Furni myself (sorry, can't quickly get a "u" with umlauts on mobile), so I'm not knocking the usefulness and simplicity to set up, I just figured this was something else for people to point and laugh at us about.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 12:23:38 pm »

There's no point to keep on playing if you sigh everytime you hit $2P on turn 5 in a Familiar game

I'm going to sigh at that every time. Every single time.

I propose Familiar's cost be changed to $1P.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 12:47:30 pm »

Wait, wait... IKEA is a real thing over there, not just another joke played on us dumb Americans for our money, like "Chinese food"?  I mean, I've got some Furni myself (sorry, can't quickly get a "u" with umlauts on mobile), so I'm not knocking the usefulness and simplicity to set up, I just figured this was something else for people to point and laugh at us about.
Well, I don't really understand what you're trying to say about IKEA, but they have a large selection and everything is pretty cheap. I'm not ashamed to have IKEA furniture at all, beats spending double or triple the amount on having something unique.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

Well, I don't really understand what you're trying to say about IKEA, but they have a large selection and everything is pretty cheap. I'm not ashamed to have IKEA furniture at all, beats spending double or triple the amount on having something unique.

I think what he's saying isn't that IKEA isn't good, but that it's marketed to us Americans as a Swedish store... lots of times American companies or products will be marketed to us as a foreign product to make it seem cooler and increase sales... like how "Chinese Food" in America is nothing like food that they eat in China. So he was just surprised to learn that IKEA actually does exist over there; that it's not just another American fake.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 12:55:40 pm »

He's saying he's surprised to learn that IKEA exists outside the United States. He thought that IKEA was a 'fake' European brand, to trick Americans into buying 'foreign', 'exotic' merchandise.

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:33 pm »

He's saying he's surprised to learn that IKEA exists outside the United States. He thought that IKEA was a 'fake' European brand, to trick Americans into buying 'foreign', 'exotic' merchandise.

I always assumed it was a perfectly real brand, marketed to Americans, because 'those idiots will buy anything'.

Speaking of which, I'm quite sad I no longer live near an IKEA store.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »

Ikea is awesome. What are you all talking about. It's like the best thing ever (for furniture).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 02:27:37 pm »

I think everyone initially makes fun of IKEA, not really knowing why, except that you're supposed to.  Then upon graduation, when you actually need to furnish, IKEA becomes a total godsend.

For a while I had thought IKEA was similar to Stella Artois (which is marketed in the US as a classy, sophisticated beer, a fact my British friends thought was uproarious) -- playing off of its "foreignness" to drive sales.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »

I'm from Sweden, and I'll tell you this much. Pretty much everyone here shops furniture and stuff at IKEA.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2012, 04:25:11 am »

IKEA is expanding solidly in Germany since the 1970s. I heard that they have initially been marketed in the USA not on merit of their prices but their exoticness (and weren't that cheap at the start anyway). This was different here. There is some discussion about IKEA benefitting from slave labour by political prisoners in the GDR in the 1970s (http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unternehmen/studie-ikea-wusste-von-zwangsarbeitern-in-der-ddr-a-867686.html); back then it was common knowledge that they traded with Comecon countries.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 04:41:28 am »

It's basically the same over here in the Netherlands. All IKEAs have restaurants with "Swedish food", kind of like that Chinese food. And Chinese food is the same, I think most of it is Indonesian in origin.

But IKEA is real, at least their prices are. Of course, to be able to provide these low prices, they have horrible customer service (you have to wait like 30 mins. for your turn) and you have to get everything from the warehouse yourself. It's actually pretty funny when you're down there and you see all those big items like couches moving through the regular checkout points, down the elevator etc.

Synthesizer

• Bishop
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 11:41:54 am »

Most striking thing about IKEA: Some of it actually is of decent quality; but that part of what they offer is not cheap! Their really cheap stuff is just that, cheap; you get what you pay for. (the quality/price is still quite favorable, but what do you expect for that small budget...)

I have all kinds of stuff from IKEA, a kitchen table with 4 chairs, a desk, a desk chair, some Expedits on the wall for books, several Pax closets... but all this stuff isn't even so much cheaper than what I could get in different stores. e.g. the Pax seems cheap - and then you add shelves, drawers, clothes hangers, doors, hinges, grips... and you end up at 70-80% of the price of the much more beautiful and sturdy garderobe closet I have in my bedroom. Still, those 20-30% was enough to convince me to buy Pax...:)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 11:52:24 am »
+2

Nobody posted it yet?

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2012, 12:04:54 pm »
+2

nobody posted it yet?

momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
+2

Nobody posted it yet?

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2012, 01:22:55 pm »
+3

Nobody posted it yet?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »
+1

Nobody posted it yet?

Just because I resisted...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2012, 01:25:47 pm »
+1

Nobody posted it yet?

I almost did, seriously.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2012, 04:34:40 pm »
+2

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2012, 05:16:43 pm »

For a while I had thought IKEA was similar to Stella Artois (which is marketed in the US as a classy, sophisticated beer, a fact my British friends thought was uproarious) -- playing off of its "foreignness" to drive sales.

Stella was marketed like that in Britain as well, still is.the tagline used to be 'Reassuringly Expensive'
Except it never managed to lose its unofficial nickname of 'Wife Beater'
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.