Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Early Mountebank over $6+ cards?  (Read 1609 times)

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
Early Mountebank over $6+ cards?
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:47:30 pm »

How do you handle an early, lucky $6+ hand in a game with Mountebank?

In this game, I ended up with $6 and $7 on turns 3 and 6. I went for Gold and Expand, thinking that the higher value cards would be worth more since I was likely to suffer some deck bloat from the Mountebank. But, I never drew just $5 until turn 8, at which point I already had been hit by my opponent's Mountebank twice.

Should I have skipped the high value cards in order to not fall as far behind on Mountebanking?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
Re: Early Mountebank over $6+ cards?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:08 pm »

Barring certain anti-Mountebank strategies like Counting House or Gardens, your first Mountebank is almost certainly more important than Gold.

Gold is probably better than your second Mountebank, though, at least as long as your strategy depends on buying Gold.  (Not a sure thing!)
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Early Mountebank over $6+ cards?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:00:35 pm »

Yes. $6+ is not actually lucky, since you should buy a mountebank either way. Getting the attack in early is better than having gold or expand. With $6 you should look for the most useful card for $6 OR LESS. Always buying the most expensive card you can is a common trap.

There is a slightly more general thread about which $5 cards are worth getting over gold on turn 3/4 here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=523.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.