Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?  (Read 37485 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »
+5

Last year I joined the site for the dominion strategy 2011 championships, haven't looked back. Any chance of 2012 happening or is the community into much of a disarray due to goko?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »
+1

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing yesterday...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »

Probably disarray due to goko... iso doesn't even have Dark Ages.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »
+1

don't need dark ages to have a tournament though.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:13:30 pm »

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing yesterday...
I was asking the same thing today. Crazy.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:49 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking about it this week too.  If we run it it seems like it has to be on Isotropic, right?

I would incidentally prefer if someone else runs the tournament.  We'd still help out (and therefore allow you to compete in the tournament) but we'll leave it up to you to make the Google signup form, collect names, and populate a challonge bracket.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »
+1

Yeah, I was thinking about it this week too.  If we run it it seems like it has to be on Isotropic, right?

I would incidentally prefer if someone else runs the tournament.  We'd still help out (and therefore allow you to compete in the tournament) but we'll leave it up to you to make the Google signup form, collect names, and populate a challonge bracket.

i talked with jonts26 and we'd be willing to help out on that front. would still like a little input and support from you and/or rrenaud but we can help with some of the legwork.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:42:54 pm »

so is this a thing people are actually interested in seeing? if so, we should start moving on it soon rather than later. there is always the potential of iso going down, and we only have a couple weeks to align with the timing of last year's tournament.
a couple thoughts/questions:
- i assume we will have to keep the standard bracket format? probably too many people for anything else.
- 256 players again? try for 512? we could probably hit 512 with more time and some advertising, but what happens if we fall in the gap between 256/512?
- prizes again? i think theory and rrenaud provided them last year. maybe we can get a store to "sponsor" the tournament and provide a prize?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:32 pm »
+1

If we could do this, it would be great.
Maybe an appropriate event to say goodbye to isotropic.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »

...we'll leave it up to you to make the Google signup form, collect names, and populate a challonge bracket.

you must be French... :P
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:54:37 pm »
+2

No, it's referencing http://challonge.com/ , an online bracket-management program.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:01:13 pm »
+3

Why?  Did something bad happen the last time you organized a tournament?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »
+2

No, it's referencing http://challonge.com/ , an online bracket-management program.

well, damn, my pun just facepalmed itself.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »
+1

I agree: this should be done sooner rather than later.  I suggest we leave the cap at 256, but I also suggest adding a poll to see what others think.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

i would throw up a poll but i can't start threads at work. just ask if we want 128/256/512 whatever? we could just make an option to take what we get and then do a play in round i guess.

im pretty confident we could hit 512, especially if we try to stretch registration an extra few days. (again, that encourages us starting soon) the community has grown quite a bit, and we can make an effort to advertise on bgg, reddit, iso lobby in addition to the blog/forum/wiki.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »

i would throw up a poll but i can't start threads at work.

Personal rule?  ???

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »
+1

Personal rule?  ???

nah, i'm good enough at working when i need to. filters here block me from viewing the overall forum/subforum pages and starting threads. i can only access stuff which comes in through the unread posts feed, which fortunately is not blocked.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 01:53:51 pm »
+1

Thanks GE/jonts.

I honestly doubt that you need a 512 player tournament.  I think that would be madness.  My suggestion would be:

240 open registration spots, first come first serve
16 spots for late entrants > level 40, or QF+ in last year's event.  If not all filled, then the next people who signed up, a bit late.

I do want to run the Kingdom Design Challenge again, which honestly was just as cool.  I'll put up a copy of Dominion or any expansion for both winners.

A Google Form would be best for populating all this stuff.  I would like to force all people to register on f.ds.  My plan is to make a post on the main blog with a link to a non-guest-viewable topic in this forum, containing the embedded form.

The form would ask:

f.ds username
Iso username
Time zone

After we collect all that data, rrenaud (if he loves us!) can run a script to scrape everyone's level from a random day for seeding, and then we'll put that into challonge.  Does that sound good?

What I can do is do all of the above, make posts, etc.  Where I am less interested in getting involved is:

* Coming up with a ruleset that will satisfy everyone
* Dealing with no-shows, logistics, and collection of results

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »

What if Goko comes online during the champs and Iso is forced to shut down?

Will it just move over to Goko?

Then you get the problem of not all players having all expansions and such silliness.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

What if Goko comes online during the champs and Iso is forced to shut down?

Will it just move over to Goko?

Then you get the problem of not all players having all expansions and such silliness.

We're considering that issue and will get back to you soon.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »

- 512 could get crazy. i just feel like 240 (256) would fill up super fast and i don't want to have to exclude people, but at the same time i guess we need to keep as simple as possible logistically and shorter. i'm game for either, so i will defer to you on this.

- i would like to see the kingdom design challenge again too. would we want to use those kingdoms in the finals though? id rather keep the finals pure random myself, but at the same time it was a nice reward for the designers. do we need another form for the kingdoms?

- i've never used google forms but it seems straightforward enough. i'll mess around with them later. those contents seem easy enough though. did we have a lot of people last year who we couldn't find levels for? if so maybe we can ask that they login and play a game on iso so that they show up on the leaderboard.

- i/we can work on the rules and logistics stuff. you can check it over before it goes live, and if there is anything to troublesome we can put it to a quick community vote.

-re: goko/iso...it all depends when it happens i guess. if it's early in the tournament maybe we'll have to scrap it. if we are in the final rounds we can adjust accordingly. at the very earliest it would be another week or two anyway, so we could put this sort of thing to a vote. i can also try contacting trisha i guess. she might not be able to give us an exact start date, but she could likely give the organizers a couple extra days notice so that we could plan accordingly if needed.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »

I made the forms: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGIzY0duNEE5UFFXOTlRZk9FcWlMblE6MQ and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHp0Yy0tM2hSelp2TFZwYlpqb2k0UVE6MQ

(Don't bother trying to input information now, it'll just all get deleted.)

I understand the problems of having the KDC winners in the final, but I think the benefits (spotlight, sample game before voting, no dumb sets) outweigh the harms.

Let's set a tentative date for the registration launch to be November 26.  Registration closes December 2 and we'll release brackets Dec 3.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »

here's an idea that doesn't have anything to do with how the tournament is going to run. perhaps have the kingdom design winner have their kingdom played in the final match of the tournament)? this would be in addition to whatever prize they might win for being a winner of the kingdom design contest. i can totally understand if people don't think this is a good idea to have a non-randomly selected kingdom, especially in the final match. in dominion, sometimes you just get a boring kingdom, and that's the way it is. i guess the pro's would be more incentive to enter the kingdom design challenge, a guaranteed interesting kingdom in the finals as well as expert level analysis of a kingdom with multiple ways to play it, and then the world gets to see what strategy wins out. like i said before, i understand why people might not like this idea but i think it is worth considering.
Go, and do likewise.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 02:40:13 pm »
+1

I made the forms...(Don't bother trying to input information now, it'll just all get deleted.)

the forms are blocked here at work, i'll check later. i assume the results are just dumped into a google docs spreadsheet?

I understand the problems of having the KDC winners in the final, but I think the benefits (spotlight, sample game before voting, no dumb sets) outweigh the harms.

no worries. i don't have any problem with random sets, i just prefer random out of habit. as you point out, well designed kingdoms should outweigh the harms anyway.

Let's set a tentative date for the registration launch to be November 26.  Registration closes December 2 and we'll release brackets Dec 3.

i'll sit down with jonts26 and work on some of the rules and other stuff tonight or this weekend and get back to you. i guess we'll pm you once we've got something.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »
+1

here's an idea that doesn't have anything to do with how the tournament is going to run. perhaps have the kingdom design winner have their kingdom played in the final match of the tournament)? this would be in addition to whatever prize they might win for being a winner of the kingdom design contest. i can totally understand if people don't think this is a good idea to have a non-randomly selected kingdom, especially in the final match. in dominion, sometimes you just get a boring kingdom, and that's the way it is. i guess the pro's would be more incentive to enter the kingdom design challenge, a guaranteed interesting kingdom in the finals as well as expert level analysis of a kingdom with multiple ways to play it, and then the world gets to see what strategy wins out. like i said before, i understand why people might not like this idea but i think it is worth considering.

What we did last year, and what we will do this year, is that we pick 7 finalists and those 7 get to be in the final.  Then we vote on which one is the winner.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2012, 02:44:36 pm »

Doing a full 512 tournament would be pretty big.  But if interest is high enough that the 240+16 spots fill up fast, perhaps some out of the original 256 could also be reserved as qualifier spots.  One could take 20-40 spots and hold a 1 round qualifier for the 40-80 people with the lowest rankings.  The qualifiers could be extended to mroe rounds, but it seems like there's a lot of rounds going on already.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2012, 02:55:47 pm »

What we did last year, and what we will do this year, is that we pick 7 finalists and those 7 get to be in the final.  Then we vote on which one is the winner.

oops, i dont think i was clear enough on what i was suggesting. what i was trying to say, was that the winning kingdom of the Kingdom Design Contest is used in one of the games in the final round of the 2012 Dominion Strategy Championships. refer back to my previous post for my thoughts on this idea
Go, and do likewise.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 03:02:11 pm »
+1

oops, i dont think i was clear enough on what i was suggesting. what i was trying to say, was that the winning kingdom of the Kingdom Design Contest is used in one of the games in the final round of the 2012 Dominion Strategy Championships. refer back to my previous post for my thoughts on this idea

I think we are talking past each other.  The KDC gets narrowed down to 7 by me (maybe rrenaud, maybe other volunteers), and then those 7 are played in the DSC, and THEN we choose the KDC winner. Which is even more than what you're suggesting, and I'd rather have the whole finals be KDC finalists instead of one random game being a KDC winner.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2012, 03:04:39 pm »

you can see the winners from last year here and you can find them on the wiki here.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 03:07:21 pm »

The KDC was a great addition to the final.  It gave us lobby spectators an interesting set to discuss rather than "hmmm, Mountebank it is."  And it also ensured high-skill kingdoms that did a fantastic job on determining the winner.  I would love to see this implemented again.

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

zporiri

• Golem
  • Go, and do likewise.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »

I think we are talking past each other.  The KDC gets narrowed down to 7 by me (maybe rrenaud, maybe other volunteers), and then those 7 are played in the DSC, and THEN we choose the KDC winner. Which is even more than what you're suggesting, and I'd rather have the whole finals be KDC finalists instead of one random game being a KDC winner.

oh my bad, I understand now. I wasn't in the tourney last year so I didn't know that was already implemented. that's awesome to know that all 7 kingdoms will be used!
Go, and do likewise.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2012, 03:25:03 pm »

So if Goko launches (taking Iso down) during this tourney we either have to have a plan to finish, speed it way up (probably unreasonable) or move to goko?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:46 pm »

I hate to bring this pink elephant in the room up, but the point counter debate should probably be had sooner rather than later too.  We all know how that's ended up in the past.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

So if Goko launches (taking Iso down) during this tourney we either have to have a plan to finish, speed it way up (probably unreasonable) or move to goko?

i already messaged goko about it, so we might be able to get some insight. changes to the tournament would likely depend on when the launch/shut down occurs. speeding up or moving are more feasible in the last round or three, much less so early on.

I hate to bring this pink elephant in the room up, but the point counter debate should probably be had sooner rather than later too.  We all know how that's ended up in the past.

we have the benefit this time of being able to have an explicit ruling on this issue up front. we can of course try to be as flexible as possible with it, but if people take issue they can just pass on playing. there were not many people who were too hardcore in their views either way, and i don't see us having any trouble at all filling 256 spots should some people choose to sit out.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »
+8

Lets greatexpectations and jonts decide the rules and if you want to play in the tourney, you must follow their decree.  IMO, that is the simplest way.  If you don't agree, you don't have to play.  I have my own personal opinion, but to make this process the easiest and least painful it would be best if everyone went with what the admins decide.  Regardless of what they choose, some people will not be happy.  If they want to make a poll to see the popular option, I'm fine with that.  I just think that a firm stance must be made that all must adhere to it.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 03:51:59 pm »

Lets greatexpectations and jonts decide the rules and if you want to play in the tourney, you must follow their decree.  IMO, that is the simplest way.  If you don't agree, you don't have to play.  I have my own personal opinion, but to make this process the easiest and least painful it would be best if everyone went with what the admins decide.  Regardless of what they choose, some people will not be happy.  If they want to make a poll to see the popular option, I'm fine with that.  I just think that a firm stance must be made that all must adhere to it.

yup, i mentioned earlier that we would go to the community and make a poll on any decision that could be divisive. i don't think that me or jonts26 have any agenda here, and what we make up is going to get passed by theory anyway.

but we can always just echo the rules from last year and allow whatever variations people like if both sides consent, regardless what the official default rules are.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 03:56:18 pm »
+3

Prizes will be in gokoins. 8)

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »
+1

Prizes will be in gokoins. 8)

Haha, actually the winner will be offered a job as lead developer of Goko.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 02:16:12 am »

Let me just say this: Banning it is pretty meaningless.

You can edit the source code and have it not print any output to the chat.
That way you could never tell if someone was using the Chrome PCE.

ftl

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 02:32:43 am »

Do you really have such a low opinion of the f.ds community that even when told "Don't do this, it's against the rules of this tournament" people will do it anyway? And go through the difficulty of modifying source code of an extension to cheat?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 02:45:18 am »
+1

Do you really have such a low opinion of the f.ds community that even when told "Don't do this, it's against the rules of this tournament" people will do it anyway? And go through the difficulty of modifying source code of an extension to cheat?
*cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 03:26:03 am »

I don't actually, I'm just saying, it's possible and it's undetectable.
As undetectable as a person using pen and paper.
Are you going to say to him: Don't use pen and paper, it's evil!

But I've stated my opinion on the matter over and over in the other topic, so I won't keep repeating it here.

All I'm saying is: Banning the PCE outright creates a false sense of security.
When the PCE is banned and people respect this ban and don't use it, it doesn't mean people won't use something else to get an advantage.

At least the cat is out of the bag now and we all know PCE tracks deck contents as well as just points.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 12:00:51 pm »

there will always be a couple bad apples out there. and you also need to remember that this tournament will likely attract a number of people who aren't quite forum regulars. we can't make any real statements about their expected behavior.

the reality is that we are going to get a couple unhappy people making sarcastic comments no matter what gets decided.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 12:30:25 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:52:31 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 12:39:47 pm »
+1

I think limiting the number of signups isn't really necessary. Just let it go to whatever it wants to be, and then once it reaches deadline, fill in gaps with a number of byes (who essentially are the lowest seeded players), then call the first round a preliminary, if you want.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 04:38:08 pm »

I think byes would be fine.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 05:20:15 pm »

I think limiting the number of signups isn't really necessary. Just let it go to whatever it wants to be, and then once it reaches deadline, fill in gaps with a number of byes (who essentially are the lowest seeded players), then call the first round a preliminary, if you want.

The only reason to limit it is for the sake of tournament length.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »

Eh.  Each doubling adds one week tops.  I don't think we'll make it to 1024.  But at some point it's not just time, it's logistics for the people setting up the brackets.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 03:46:22 am »

Eh.  Each doubling adds one week tops.  I don't think we'll make it to 1024.  But at some point it's not just time, it's logistics for the people setting up the brackets.

That is a lot of work.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 03:48:43 pm »

I'd be very much interested in this again, even if I have been rather busy as of late. 

I stumbled upon this by accident.  I think this post should be moved (or duplicated?) to general discussions to garner more attention for the time being.  I would think there would be a lot more discussion/activity for a topic which wants to have a couple hundred entrants.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2012, 04:00:31 pm »

i think this actually was in general discussion for a bit. i guess theory dropped it in here because it was starting to develop offshoot threads and polls.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
+1

Nah I had posted it to Dominion Strategy Feedback, as it's feedback ish and I didn't know whether or not it was happening and quite enjoyed it last year.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2012, 05:44:23 pm »

I'm in favor of the "take however many sign up" approach as well.  Byes/play-ins aren't THAT hard to do, I don't think.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 01:25:32 am »
+1

So, I have a question. For the kingdom design challenge it says that we can build a kingdom from any of the expansions. Dark Ages is not mentioned as being excluded. Can we build kingdoms that include Dark Ages cards? Will there be a way to allow the top two players to play these kingdoms?

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2012, 03:17:28 am »

So, I have a question. For the kingdom design challenge it says that we can build a kingdom from any of the expansions. Dark Ages is not mentioned as being excluded. Can we build kingdoms that include Dark Ages cards? Will there be a way to allow the top two players to play these kingdoms?

Exactly my thoughts.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2012, 09:08:07 am »
+1

I mentioned the DA exclusion on the form but not on the blog post.  I have updated the blog post accordingly.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:25 am »

I mentioned the DA exclusion on the form but not on the blog post.  I have updated the blog post accordingly.

Perhaps we could ask for a temporary release for the tournament (sponsored by goko)?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 09:42:22 am »
+1

Perhaps we could ask for a temporary release for the tournament (sponsored by goko)?

Ha!  That's amusing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 09:49:55 am »

Ha!  That's amusing.

Hey - Androminion released the cards.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2012, 02:40:04 pm »

It doesn't hurt to ask, although a lot of people would have to coordinate, and probably if its just for the tourney 256 people have to be given access

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2012, 02:45:41 pm »

Whoever asks should mention it might get a lot of people to start playing on goko.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »

Whoever asks should mention it might get a lot of people to start playing on goko.

Would it? I can't see it making a difference I don't think Dark Ages not on Iso is a reason people aren't playing on Goko I suspect it's that people don't like the UI implementation as much.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2012, 03:00:50 pm »

Would it? I can't see it making a difference I don't think Dark Ages not on Iso is a reason people aren't playing on Goko I suspect it's that people don't like the UI implementation as much.
Don't know.  Maybe people haven't tried it since everyone is complaining about it.  I know I tried it when the closed beta started and stopped soon after.  Maybe after a few games in a row some people will start getting used to it. 

In any case saying so might make them more likely to allow us use for the tournament :)

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2012, 03:14:30 pm »

Is there going to be a list of entrants at some point, to verify that the registration went through? I have a distrust of black-box google forms... >_>

(I should probably get in some practice. I haven't played much lately.)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »

Don't know.  Maybe people haven't tried it since everyone is complaining about it.  I know I tried it when the closed beta started and stopped soon after.  Maybe after a few games in a row some people will start getting used to it. 

In any case saying so might make them more likely to allow us use for the tournament :)

Its WAY better than the start of the closed beta but it's still got a bunch of issues, I think Frisk summed up nicely in the "All Dark Ages Now On Goko" topic

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:24 pm »
+1

Is there going to be a list of entrants at some point, to verify that the registration went through? I have a distrust of black-box google forms... >_>

(I should probably get in some practice. I haven't played much lately.)

Isn't there a "confirmed" dialog after submission?

I suppose there is no harm to making the list public, since all that info is going to be public anyway.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:43 pm »

personally/unofficially, i do not think that including Dark Ages in this tournament would be a good idea even if we could. without the ability to play on iso, i think that far less people out there will have had the chance to play with the cards, especially at a competitive level. sure some people have used the cards on goko but even then some of the cards just recently got released. just seems like too much potential trouble of rules misunderstandings and matches being decided by who has had the most exposure to Dark Ages.

of course, i am biased because i have never played with the cards. but naturally i suspect the opposite bias exists for many people. and then of course there will be a few people who are just trying to game the system so that we can get Dark Ages on iso.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2012, 03:29:34 pm »

I suppose there is no harm to making the list public, since all that info is going to be public anyway.

11/26/2012 3:41:46   sffc   sffc1   GMT -6 (CST)
11/26/2012 3:42:06   sffc   sffc   GMT -6 (CST)

Lines 29 and 30, duplicate entries? I'd hate to see someone miss out on that spot.  ???

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »
+1

11/26/2012 3:41:46   sffc   sffc1   GMT -6 (CST)
11/26/2012 3:42:06   sffc   sffc   GMT -6 (CST)

Lines 29 and 30, duplicate entries? I'd hate to see someone miss out on that spot.  ???

I go through and purge duplicates every so often.  Even if I miss it now, we won't miss it when we're making brackets, and then you just take #257.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2012, 03:36:27 pm »

Boo I had signed up before it was live so im not on there

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2012, 03:53:27 pm »
+1

You were warned :)

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2012, 03:57:00 pm »

You were warned :)

I had probably overlooked that part in my haste to sign up  ::)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »

personally/unofficially, i do not think that including Dark Ages in this tournament would be a good idea even if we could. without the ability to play on iso, i think that far less people out there will have had the chance to play with the cards, especially at a competitive level. sure some people have used the cards on goko but even then some of the cards just recently got released. just seems like too much potential trouble of rules misunderstandings and matches being decided by who has had the most exposure to Dark Ages.

of course, i am biased because i have never played with the cards. but naturally i suspect the opposite bias exists for many people. and then of course there will be a few people who are just trying to game the system so that we can get Dark Ages on iso.

I actually bought Dark Ages on Goko, so no trying to game the system to get Dark Ages on iso. Although, I would prefer them on iso because I like using iso more than Goko. Although, I suppose I and others who bought the cards on Goko would have had an advantage of having played with the cards more than other people.

Also, I really want to design kingdoms with DA cards because that would be fun!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »

I've since changed my Iso username, because, the only reason I had that one was for CR consistency which isn't a thing any more.

I know you said email, but, I figure this is actually probably easier? row 76.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 04:17:01 pm »

I actually bought Dark Ages on Goko, so no trying to game the system to get Dark Ages on iso.

oh yeah, not trying to pick on you there. just people in general. there have been a number of calls in the past months to somehow get dark ages on iso. this is about the point where donald would likely reference free pizza.

Although, I suppose I and others who bought the cards on Goko would have had an advantage of having played with the cards more than other people.

right, that is the issue i would have. uneven access to goko, whereas everyone has full access to iso and the sets iso has. of course i can see why people might want Dark Ages included, i just personally think the negatives outweigh the positives in this case.

Also, I really want to design kingdoms with DA cards because that would be fun!

agreed! i think it would be more fun. there are two main issues with that though. first, not having iso around makes it more difficult to gauge what a good kingdom with dark ages cards would look like. second, if we can't play with dark ages  then you lose a key motivation for the design contest anyway, that being seeing the kingdom played by the top players in the final.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2012, 01:10:48 pm »

what happens if during this tournament goko is released, and then a week passes?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
+1

Skype Dominion?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »
+1

what happens if during this tournament goko is released, and then a week passes?

We'll work it out.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »

Skype Dominion?

I summon a Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »

Skype Dominion?

I summon a Blue-Eyes White Dragon.

I activate MIRROR FORCE

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2012, 03:00:41 pm »

We'll work it out.

whoever asks for dark ages could ask that they wait to launch until we conclude this tournament  ::)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »
+2

*raises hand*

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »
+1

*raises hand*

So if Goko changes NOTHING else but allows Iso to use dark ages for this tournament you would start playing on goko after?

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2012, 06:06:10 am »
+1

So if Goko changes NOTHING else but allows Iso to use dark ages for this tournament you would start playing on goko after?

i will, i promise  ::)

pecoho

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2012, 11:19:08 am »

I have mis-reg for the username on Isotropic: cybuster, pls delete that application.

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2012, 05:19:26 pm »
+4

Please also delete anyone better than me.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2012, 05:21:17 pm »
+2

Please delete anyone who isn't me.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »

I officially have only 245 entrants right now; some of those who have registered do not have f.ds accounts.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »
+6

I officially have only 245 entrants right now; some of those who have registered do not have f.ds accounts.

You should require them to (a) join f.ds, and (b) join at least one game of mafia.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2012, 06:34:47 pm »

You should require them to (a) join f.ds, and (b) join at least one game of mafia.

(b) is important!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »
+10

So you're asking for the same thing as mith?

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2012, 06:54:02 pm »
+4

So you're asking for the same thing as mith?
Thou woundest me.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2012, 07:06:22 pm »
+1

Phew, glad I saw this before the tournament got over 256, though it's really really close.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2012, 07:15:27 pm »
+1

Did I make it?
I think I did but it's close.
Hopefully (for me) there won't be too many "Wild Card" entrants!

Edit: Maybe I can jump 6 levels fast enough to be a "Highly Ranked Player"
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:17:33 pm by heron »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:17 am »
+1

I didn't see the announcement till just now.  :(

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2012, 11:54:02 am »
+1

:(

Maybe if you can make it to level 35 ...

RichardNixon

• Spy
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2012, 01:12:36 pm »
+1

I'm fairly certain I entered it correctly in the submission form, but could I make it extra clear here that my forum username is RichardNixon but my iso username is RichardMNixon?
I just noticed a RichardNixon on iso who is 20some levels lower than I am.
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure."
~ Dan Quayle

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2012, 01:16:54 pm »
+1

You did enter it correctly.  I'll make sure.

Tasman1414

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:06 pm »
+1

This might be a stupid question but I've signed up for the dominion tournament, where do I need to go next and when?

jonts26

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2012, 05:27:36 pm »
+1

This might be a stupid question but I've signed up for the dominion tournament, where do I need to go next and when?

We will be posting official brackets and seeding and all of that information on the forum over the weekend once we get it worked out. Just keep an eye out for that thread.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:30 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:02:41 am by () | (_) ^/ »

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2012, 05:32:57 pm »

We will be posting official brackets and seeding and all of that information on the forum over the weekend once we get it worked out. Just keep an eye out for that thread.

Thanks!  Good to know.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 05:34:35 pm »
+2

"There are no stupid questions: just stupid people who as them."
~ someone stupid, circa I Don't Know When A.D. (or BCE if it makes you feel better)

"Your question, Tasman1414, is not stupid, nor are you (I presume).  I am actually wondering the same thing."
~ me, circa Just Now
*ask

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2012, 05:36:04 pm »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:03:12 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »
+2

~ someone stupid, circa I Don't Know When A.D. (or BCE if it makes you feel better)

"Your question, Tasman1414, is not stupid, nor are you (I presume).  I am actually wondering the same thing."
~ me, circa Just Now
*ask
*wat
stupid people who as them.
who as them.
as them
as

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »

Alright, I'm finally around for signups for a Dominion tournament!  I'm so excited you gu- oh.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2012, 05:55:40 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:04:07 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:54 pm »
+1

*But *thanks *for *the

That's also not even a complete sentence!  Gah! :P

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2012, 06:07:53 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 11:04:16 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Tasman1414

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
+1

sweet thanks :)

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2012, 06:13:02 pm »
+1

*But *thanks *for *the

*sentens
*aslo
Gah! :P
How embarasing..

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »

*But *thanks *for *the

*sentens
*aslo
Gah! :P
How embarasing..
YES!

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2012, 10:52:06 pm »
+3

just finished pulling all of the level data for each player! here are some quick numbers for the tournament player pool:

Category - Average / Median
Player Level - 25.3 / 25.6
Mean Skill Rating - 37.6 / 38.6
Iso Rank - 1225 / 622
Games Played - 2045 / 1508

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 01, 2012, 11:06:20 pm »
+1

Guess I missed sign ups... :)

Tagging to follow, at least.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

CPFB

• Swindler
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2012, 07:40:13 am »
+1

just finished pulling all of the level data for each player! here are some quick numbers for the tournament player pool:

Iso Rank - 1225 / 622

Yikes! I'm way outclassed. (Level 11) Still looking forward to it though!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:40 pm »
+2

Iso Rank - 1225 / 622

Don't worry! You're not in that bad a position - you either get to play someone very experienced, and learn a lot about the game, or even better - perform a big upset! It's win-win

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2012, 06:59:36 pm »
+4

Iso Rank - 1225 / 622

Don't worry! You're not in that bad a position - you either get to play someone very experienced, and learn a lot about the game, or even better - perform a big upset! It's win-win
Rise like a jaguar.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2012, 10:01:46 am »
+1

I never saw the sign-up. Is it too late?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2012, 10:03:24 am »

Yes :(

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2012, 10:09:55 am »
+1

Was it ever posted in this thread?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2012, 10:13:05 am »

It was posted on the main page and discussed in this forum.

In the future I think I will make a big post in the forum as well, linking to the main page.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2012, 10:19:07 am »

Yeah, I almost missed it as well.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »

This isnt very surprising.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2012, 03:40:30 pm »

It was posted on the main page and discussed in this forum.

In the future I think I will make a big post in the forum as well, linking to the main page.

By in the future, you mean never because iso will be gone.  :(
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

eigensheep2

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2012, 05:58:26 pm »

When I signed up, I listed my forum username as eigensheep, but I have forgotten my password and email address and cannot log in to that account. Is this a problem?

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2012, 06:06:04 pm »

I'll PM you and see if I can't reset your password somehow.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 20 queries.