Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?  (Read 37050 times)

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?
« on: November 14, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »
+5

Last year I joined the site for the dominion strategy 2011 championships, haven't looked back. Any chance of 2012 happening or is the community into much of a disarray due to goko?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Dominion Strategy 2012 Champs?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »
+1

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing yesterday...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 05:04:01 pm »

Probably disarray due to goko... iso doesn't even have Dark Ages.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:10:21 pm »
+1

don't need dark ages to have a tournament though.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 05:13:30 pm »

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing yesterday...
I was asking the same thing today. Crazy.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 05:57:49 pm »

Yeah, I was thinking about it this week too.  If we run it it seems like it has to be on Isotropic, right?

I would incidentally prefer if someone else runs the tournament.  We'd still help out (and therefore allow you to compete in the tournament) but we'll leave it up to you to make the Google signup form, collect names, and populate a challonge bracket.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:08 pm »
+1

Yeah, I was thinking about it this week too.  If we run it it seems like it has to be on Isotropic, right?

I would incidentally prefer if someone else runs the tournament.  We'd still help out (and therefore allow you to compete in the tournament) but we'll leave it up to you to make the Google signup form, collect names, and populate a challonge bracket.

i talked with jonts26 and we'd be willing to help out on that front. would still like a little input and support from you and/or rrenaud but we can help with some of the legwork.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 12:42:54 pm »

so is this a thing people are actually interested in seeing? if so, we should start moving on it soon rather than later. there is always the potential of iso going down, and we only have a couple weeks to align with the timing of last year's tournament.
a couple thoughts/questions:
- i assume we will have to keep the standard bracket format? probably too many people for anything else.
- 256 players again? try for 512? we could probably hit 512 with more time and some advertising, but what happens if we fall in the gap between 256/512?
- prizes again? i think theory and rrenaud provided them last year. maybe we can get a store to "sponsor" the tournament and provide a prize?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:32 pm »
+1

If we could do this, it would be great.
Maybe an appropriate event to say goodbye to isotropic.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »

...we'll leave it up to you to make the Google signup form, collect names, and populate a challonge bracket.

you must be French... :P
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:54:37 pm »
+2

No, it's referencing http://challonge.com/ , an online bracket-management program.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:01:13 pm »
+3

Why?  Did something bad happen the last time you organized a tournament?
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 01:02:04 pm »
+2

No, it's referencing http://challonge.com/ , an online bracket-management program.

well, damn, my pun just facepalmed itself.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »
+1

I agree: this should be done sooner rather than later.  I suggest we leave the cap at 256, but I also suggest adding a poll to see what others think.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 01:36:38 pm »

i would throw up a poll but i can't start threads at work. just ask if we want 128/256/512 whatever? we could just make an option to take what we get and then do a play in round i guess.

im pretty confident we could hit 512, especially if we try to stretch registration an extra few days. (again, that encourages us starting soon) the community has grown quite a bit, and we can make an effort to advertise on bgg, reddit, iso lobby in addition to the blog/forum/wiki.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 01:38:45 pm »

i would throw up a poll but i can't start threads at work.

Personal rule?  ???

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 01:43:00 pm »
+1

Personal rule?  ???

nah, i'm good enough at working when i need to. filters here block me from viewing the overall forum/subforum pages and starting threads. i can only access stuff which comes in through the unread posts feed, which fortunately is not blocked.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 01:53:51 pm »
+1

Thanks GE/jonts.

I honestly doubt that you need a 512 player tournament.  I think that would be madness.  My suggestion would be:

240 open registration spots, first come first serve
16 spots for late entrants > level 40, or QF+ in last year's event.  If not all filled, then the next people who signed up, a bit late.

I do want to run the Kingdom Design Challenge again, which honestly was just as cool.  I'll put up a copy of Dominion or any expansion for both winners.

A Google Form would be best for populating all this stuff.  I would like to force all people to register on f.ds.  My plan is to make a post on the main blog with a link to a non-guest-viewable topic in this forum, containing the embedded form.

The form would ask:

f.ds username
Iso username
Time zone

After we collect all that data, rrenaud (if he loves us!) can run a script to scrape everyone's level from a random day for seeding, and then we'll put that into challonge.  Does that sound good?

What I can do is do all of the above, make posts, etc.  Where I am less interested in getting involved is:

* Coming up with a ruleset that will satisfy everyone
* Dealing with no-shows, logistics, and collection of results

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »

What if Goko comes online during the champs and Iso is forced to shut down?

Will it just move over to Goko?

Then you get the problem of not all players having all expansions and such silliness.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 02:18:24 pm »

What if Goko comes online during the champs and Iso is forced to shut down?

Will it just move over to Goko?

Then you get the problem of not all players having all expansions and such silliness.

We're considering that issue and will get back to you soon.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 02:24:36 pm »

- 512 could get crazy. i just feel like 240 (256) would fill up super fast and i don't want to have to exclude people, but at the same time i guess we need to keep as simple as possible logistically and shorter. i'm game for either, so i will defer to you on this.

- i would like to see the kingdom design challenge again too. would we want to use those kingdoms in the finals though? id rather keep the finals pure random myself, but at the same time it was a nice reward for the designers. do we need another form for the kingdoms?

- i've never used google forms but it seems straightforward enough. i'll mess around with them later. those contents seem easy enough though. did we have a lot of people last year who we couldn't find levels for? if so maybe we can ask that they login and play a game on iso so that they show up on the leaderboard.

- i/we can work on the rules and logistics stuff. you can check it over before it goes live, and if there is anything to troublesome we can put it to a quick community vote.

-re: goko/iso...it all depends when it happens i guess. if it's early in the tournament maybe we'll have to scrap it. if we are in the final rounds we can adjust accordingly. at the very earliest it would be another week or two anyway, so we could put this sort of thing to a vote. i can also try contacting trisha i guess. she might not be able to give us an exact start date, but she could likely give the organizers a couple extra days notice so that we could plan accordingly if needed.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 02:26:07 pm »

I made the forms: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGIzY0duNEE5UFFXOTlRZk9FcWlMblE6MQ and https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHp0Yy0tM2hSelp2TFZwYlpqb2k0UVE6MQ

(Don't bother trying to input information now, it'll just all get deleted.)

I understand the problems of having the KDC winners in the final, but I think the benefits (spotlight, sample game before voting, no dumb sets) outweigh the harms.

Let's set a tentative date for the registration launch to be November 26.  Registration closes December 2 and we'll release brackets Dec 3.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 02:35:17 pm »

here's an idea that doesn't have anything to do with how the tournament is going to run. perhaps have the kingdom design winner have their kingdom played in the final match of the tournament)? this would be in addition to whatever prize they might win for being a winner of the kingdom design contest. i can totally understand if people don't think this is a good idea to have a non-randomly selected kingdom, especially in the final match. in dominion, sometimes you just get a boring kingdom, and that's the way it is. i guess the pro's would be more incentive to enter the kingdom design challenge, a guaranteed interesting kingdom in the finals as well as expert level analysis of a kingdom with multiple ways to play it, and then the world gets to see what strategy wins out. like i said before, i understand why people might not like this idea but i think it is worth considering.
Go, and do likewise.

greatexpectations

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 02:40:13 pm »
+1

I made the forms...(Don't bother trying to input information now, it'll just all get deleted.)

the forms are blocked here at work, i'll check later. i assume the results are just dumped into a google docs spreadsheet?

I understand the problems of having the KDC winners in the final, but I think the benefits (spotlight, sample game before voting, no dumb sets) outweigh the harms.

no worries. i don't have any problem with random sets, i just prefer random out of habit. as you point out, well designed kingdoms should outweigh the harms anyway.

Let's set a tentative date for the registration launch to be November 26.  Registration closes December 2 and we'll release brackets Dec 3.

i'll sit down with jonts26 and work on some of the rules and other stuff tonight or this weekend and get back to you. i guess we'll pm you once we've got something.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »
+1

here's an idea that doesn't have anything to do with how the tournament is going to run. perhaps have the kingdom design winner have their kingdom played in the final match of the tournament)? this would be in addition to whatever prize they might win for being a winner of the kingdom design contest. i can totally understand if people don't think this is a good idea to have a non-randomly selected kingdom, especially in the final match. in dominion, sometimes you just get a boring kingdom, and that's the way it is. i guess the pro's would be more incentive to enter the kingdom design challenge, a guaranteed interesting kingdom in the finals as well as expert level analysis of a kingdom with multiple ways to play it, and then the world gets to see what strategy wins out. like i said before, i understand why people might not like this idea but i think it is worth considering.

What we did last year, and what we will do this year, is that we pick 7 finalists and those 7 get to be in the final.  Then we vote on which one is the winner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.