Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Magistrate  (Read 5185 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Magistrate
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:19:26 am »

Here's another custom card I've tested and enjoy.  It's not a power card but does add some flavor.  The difficult thing is the text is long, but the concept is simple enough.

Magistrate
$4 - Action/Reaction
+$2.  Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  Discard any of them that you choose and return the rest to your deck in any order.
When another player plays an attack card, look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  Discard any of them that you choose, return the rest to your deck in any order, and set this card aside.  At the start of your next turn, return this card to your hand.

Disregarding the reaction effect for the moment, this is comparable to Navigator.  It's the same price, offers the same terminal Silver benefit, and allows you to keep or discard cards that will come up in your next hand.  But whereas Navigator is an all-or-nothing deal, Magistrate allows you to selectively keep or discard specific cards.  In exchange for this finer control, you can only do this with the next 3 cards instead of the next 5.

The reaction effect was an afterthought:  I thought, hey, this is good, but it would be nice to be able to do this in response to a top-of-deck attack.  It's not quite as robust against Pirate Ship, Thief, and especially Fortune Teller, but it will often still do the job.  For example, if someone plays Pirate Ship, you might draw Copper-Estate-Estate.  Discard the Copper, return two Estates, and then the attack will discard the Estates harmlessly.  On the other hand, you might draw Copper-Copper-Copper, in which case the best you can do is discard them all and hope that the two cards AFTER that don't also contain a treasure.

It's also good against the discard effect of Sea Hag, ensuring that the card it discards isn't an important one.

But the main purpose of the reaction is not protection against attack at all but rather the ability to do is thing without spending an action on it when your actual turn comes around.  You miss out on the +$2 that way (unless you want to do it again), but it allows the card's effect to be used even in a terminal collision with a stronger action card.

The set-aside mechanic, borrowed from Horse Traders, is quite necessary, as otherwise you could reveal it infinitely, potentially cycling your deck many many times, until you stumble upon a shuffle that bunches your best three cards together.  Very broken.

I think it's well-balanced at $4.  With the reaction effect, it compares favorably with Navigator, but Navigator is on the weak side of $4 anyhow.

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Re: Magistrate
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:31:24 am »

Can't you change it to a discard reaction? (I.e. discard Magistrate, look at the top three cards, etc) That ought to simplify it a lot, and still have more or less the same effect.

Personally, though, I find the problem with Navigator is really that it's a terminal, and in the beginning of the game where I'm likely to be picking up $4 terminals there's usually so many better ones to get. I still kinda doubt I'd buy this card, when lookout is much better in the early game, and in the late game I don't think I'd be too interested in it anyway.

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:08:12 pm »
+1

I just want this card:

Architect
Type: ACTION
+1 Action.
Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.
You may discard any of them that you choose.
Return the rest to the top of your deck in any order.
Then, +1 Card.

I've got to say, there is already enough there to stop writing on the card.

How would you price this? It's better than Lookout and maybe even Warehouse. I'd pick it over Spy. Does it need to inspect one more or one less in order to match a full integer $ figure?

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:23:16 pm »

I just want this card:

Architect
+1 Action.
Then, +1 Card.

How would you price this? It's better than Lookout and maybe even Warehouse. I'd pick it over Spy. Does it need to inspect one more or one less in order to match a full integer $ figure?

That almost feels closer to Soldiers' Village from the Villages thread.  That card gave +2 Actions, but yours provides more freedom about what to do with the three cards you draw.  I'd predict Soldiers' Village (which I'm now confident is a $5 card) would usually be stronger, but I'd probably still start your card at $5 and see how it felt in playtesting.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:57:00 pm »

I just want this card:

Architect
+1 Action.
Then, +1 Card.

I'm not sure it's better than warehouse because it doesn't let you discard from hand, but the effect feels similar to an apothecary; it's slightly worse than early game apothecary in that you can't pull copper into you hand, but it's probably better than late game apothecary in that you can get rid of green (although it suffers from the same problem that the more good cards you have in your deck, the worse its effect becomes). $2P or $4 is my best guess.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 09:28:24 am »

Seeing Cartographer in Hinterlands made me inordinately happy.  One, I'm glad to see the mechanic I used for Magistrate appear in an official card, because I've really enjoyed playing with it.  Two, the card is different enough that I don't think it renders Magistrate obsolete.

Cartographer is obviously the more powerful card, on balance, in that it's a cantrip and looks at one more card than Magistrate does.  On the other hand, I think there is still a place for a weaker terminal-Silver version of the idea, and of course what really distinguishes it is that it can be done as a reaction to an attack as well.  Maybe this is a little bit of a stretch, but it's kind of like how there's room for both Bridge and Highway.

I'm just a little surprised that Cartographer didn't appear in Seaside, as it fits so nicely with the "next turn" theme.  Although the idea itself is a simple one, and I'd have been shocked if Donald hadn't thought of it, I was somewhat doubtful we'd ever see it in an official card, just because Seaside didn't have it.  Then again, I suppose Cartographer is close enough to Navigator (which fits Seaside's theme even better) that it makes sense not to put them in the same expansion.

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:30:09 pm »

Yeah, I adore Cartographer. I've wanted a card like that for a long time. Seeing it made my day!
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.