Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55  All

Author Topic: Mafia XVII: Tabula Rasa (Buffyverse) - Town Wins Flawlessly!  (Read 136512 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Mafia XVII: Tabula Rasa (Buffyverse) - Town Wins Flawlessly!
« on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:50 pm »

Welcome to Mafia XVII: Tabula Rasa (Buffyverse)!

Spectator thread QT available on request - please PM me and I will send you the link.  Thanks!

Please note: this game is immersed in the Buffyverse, and all flavor will reflect that.  However, knowledge of Buffy is not required to play this game.  All roles are standard mafia roles, with few, minor tweaks for flavor.

This game is NEWBIE-friendly.  Newbies will be given priority sign-ups if needed, and appropriate considerations taken to ensure new players get the most out of their mafia experience.

A player will be considered a newbie if this game would be their first, second, or third game ever played.

Players Signed Up (newbies marked with *):
0 - ashersky
1 – Robz888 - Rupert Giles, the Scooby Gang Doctor - Killed Night 1
2 – Jimmmmm* - Angel, the Vanilla Scooby Gang
3 - cayvie - Mayor Wilkins, the Big Bad Godfather - Lynched D3
4 - Eevee - Anya, the Vanilla Scooby Gang
5 - Captain_Frisk>>> Robz888 - Glorificus, the Big Bad Roleblocker - Killed N2
6 - Abra655*>>> shraeye - Spike, the Vanilla Scooby Gang
7 - Lekkit - The Master, the Big Bad Goon - Lynched D1
8 - Cuzz - Faith Lehane, the Serial Killer - Lynched D2
9 - theorel - Tara Maclay, the Scooby Gang Mason
10 - Watno >>> Galzria
11 - yuma - Willow Rosenberg, the Scooby Gang Mason
12 - Axxle - Buffy Summers, the Scooby Gang 1-shot Vigilante
13 – raerae* - Dawn Summers, the Scooby Gang Innocent Child - Killed N2

Co-Mod:  Jorbles

Day Starts: D1  D2
Day Ends: D1

Selected Vote Counts:
1.3  1.7  1.10  1.12
2.1  2.4  2.5

Mafia Ruleset (REVISIONS IN RED)

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.  Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.  Mafia members may communicate at night and during the confirmation stage.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to both mods by the posted deadline (generally 48 hours from Night start during the first few Nights; later Nights may have shorter deadlines).  If we do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.  In case of multiple submissions, the last valid one before the deadline will be used.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mods know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 24 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
1. A simple majority (rounded up) of all living members must agree on one person for a lynch to occur prior to deadline.
2. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.  Further votes will also be ignored.
3. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players including the one who was lynched may continue to post during twilight.
4. Please submit votes as: Vote: PlayerName.  Votes will NOT be counted if they are not bold or do not follow this syntax!  Obvious abbreviations or nicknames will be counted so long as they are unambiguous.
5. Please submit vote revocations as either Unvote: PlayerName or Unvote. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a lynch.
7. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post in the game or in Quicktopics, except for twilight.  This means that you do not even get a “Bah” post. The dead in this game are silent, but will be invited to the Spectator Quicktopic.
8. Do not edit or delete posts.  We don't want some players having more information than others.  If you want to clarify posts, feel free to double post.
9. This game will have "bankable deadlines."  See http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Bankable_deadline.  The rules for calculating deadlines are as follows:
- All Days are guaranteed to be at least three days and at most eighteen days long.
- Day 1 is set to last for eighteen days.
- Day 2 and each subsequent day will last for:
--- three days, PLUS
--- all unused days left over at the end of the previous Day;
--- up to a maximum of eighteen days.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
1. Bold, blue text is reserved for the Mod.  No invisible/small text is allowed, nor is cryptography.
2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mods privately.  Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
3. The Mods may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently.  Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed.  These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. Please bold all requests to the Mods so that they don’t get missed.
5. Prods of missing players will be issued automatically after 48 hours of no activity or upon request after 24 hours of no activity.  A prodded player has 48 hours to respond or risks replacement.  A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to replacement without further notice.
6. Rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill.
7. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.  Treat this game as a commitment.  Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

TO CLARIFY, I AM NOT A MODERATOR OF F.DS IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM.  IN THE CONTEXT OF THIS GAME, I AM MODERATING THAT THE RULES ARE FOLLOWED AND HIDDEN ACTIONS ARE COMPLETED PROPERLY.

GAME SET-UP, ROLES, AND NEWBIE SPECIFIC INFORMATION LISTED IN NEXT POST
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:41:20 pm by ashersky »
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia XVII: Tabula Rasa (Buffyverse) - NEWBIE Friendly, Open for Sign-Ups
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:15:57 pm »

Game Setup

This game will be semi-open, using the C9++ setup (http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=C9%2B%2B). 

There will be a total of thirteen players, consisting of:
- between nine and eleven Town players (including between zero and seven power roles);
- two or three Mafia players; and
- zero or one Serial Killer players (There is exactly a 50% chance of a Serial Killer being included in this set-up).

Other notes:
- This setup uses a Daystart
- Serial Killer chooses Investigation Immunity or 1-shot BP pregame.
- Cops are guaranteed to be sane
- Cops get results in the form of Town/Antitown or Innocent/Guilty - SK's show up as Antitown/Guilty unless they have Inv-Immunity.
- Innocent Child is revealed at the start of Day 1 by the mod
- Doctors prevent one night kill.
- Mafia Roleblocker cannot kill AND block in the same night

The exact distribution of roles is randomly distributed.  To keep the game balanced, the more power roles there are among the Town players, the more players and/or power roles there are among the anti-Town players. 

This game is immersed in the Buffyverse, and all flavor will reflect that.  However, knowledge of Buffy is not required to play this game.  All roles are standard mafia roles, with few, minor tweaks for flavor.  Buffy flavor has not substantively changed any of the roles from their normal Mafia versions.  A list of all roles potentially in the game follows:

- Town Cop
- Town 1-Shot Cop
- Town Doctor
- Town 1-Shot Doctor
- Town Vigilante
- Town 1-Shot Vigilante
- Town Innocent Child*
- Town Mason
- Town Roleblocker
- Town 1-Shot Roleblocker
- Vanilla Townie
- Mafia Goon
- Mafia Godfather*
- Mafia Roleblocker*
- Serial Killer*

Any of the above-listed roles may be present in the game.  If a role is marked with an asterisk (*) above, there will be NO MORE THAN ONE of these roles in the game.  If a role is NOT marked with an asterisk, then multiple players may have this role.  If a role is not listed above, it will not appear in this game.

The following mechanics rules apply:

- Kill flavor may be (but is not necessarily) a clue to the identity of the killer.
- Roles that target another player at night may NOT self-target, unless specified.
- If an X-Shot ability is roleblocked, one Shot is used up.
- Night actions will be processed in order of "natural action resolution" (http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Natural_action_resolution).  This means that:

1.  All actions that cannot possibly be modified by any other actions are resolved FIRST.
2.  After those actions are resolved, step 1 is repeated for any remaining actions, until all actions are resolved.
3.  If there is a loop - e.g., Player X's action affects Player Y's action, which affects Player Z's action, which affects Player X's action - then actions will be resolved in the following order of priority:

- Roleblocking
- Protecting
- Killing
- Investigating

Note: Town and Mafia are known as Scooby Gang and Big Bads in this game.

Newbie Information

This game is specifically planned to be Newbie friendly.  There are no tricky mechanics, Mod lies, or expert tactics required for this game.  While the Buffyverse is in play for flavor, it does not change the nature of the game.

All newbies (and other players) should feel free to PM the Mods with any and all questions at any time during sign-up, confirmation, (game) day or (game) night.  We will endeavor to explain any and all aspects of the mafia game to you.  You will have all the support you need to ensure you have a great mafia experience.

Also, we highly recommend you read the mafiascum wiki pages on the set-up and all possible roles.  This will help you have a better understanding of the game.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:26:35 am by ashersky »

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:17:36 pm »

can't miss a buffy game!

/in
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

know nothing of buffy, in

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:24:08 pm »

well, if the game has anything to do with the episode it's titled after, that shouldn't matter
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »

well, if the game has anything to do with the episode it's titled after, that shouldn't matter

Don't ruin it for everyone.  It'll be a great surprise.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 06:34:55 pm »

Never seen an episode, but in and looking forward to it.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 06:37:59 pm »

Erm....how many newbies are you expecting in a 13 player game?

I thought the idea of newbie games were that they were simple with only a couple of roles...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

yeah, this isn't quite the newbie setup I was expecting, so I'll /out... I personally want to play a stereotypical 9 player game, perhaps some other time.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 06:50:51 pm »

Erm....how many newbies are you expecting in a 13 player game?

I thought the idea of newbie games were that they were simple with only a couple of roles...

As many as want to sign up.  The last newbie specific game was 9 players (MX) -- that was my first game and I was the doctor.  I think as long as the set-up is clear and static, it'll be okay.  If there's disagreement, I'll pull the game and wait for later.

This should be fine for newbies--Jorbles is co-mod and reviewed it, so he can chime in and agree or disagree as warranted.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 06:52:37 pm »

yeah, this isn't quite the newbie setup I was expecting, so I'll /out... I personally want to play a stereotypical 9 player game, perhaps some other time.

I don't know that anyone's queued up to host one--possibly someone will soon?  I think Insom's ZM3 was the closest we've had--that set-up would work without the blitz portion.

Again, I'll delete the thread if the community wants.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 06:54:17 pm »

I don't know that anyone's queued up to host one--possibly someone will soon?  I think Insom's ZM3 was the closest we've had--that set-up would work without the blitz portion.

Again, I'll delete the thread if the community wants.

No don't delete it, I think this will work for a newbie game... I may sign up if I am out in other games, but the only way I was going to sign up for a third game was if it was the more generic setup.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 07:20:26 pm »

How are you going get newbies to join this? We already have 3, but some people aren't constantly looking for Mafia games.

I can change my signature to link to this thread if you'd like. It might attract more people.

I'll /in though, but if a newbie wants to take my place, let them go ahead.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 07:23:08 pm »

How are you going get newbies to join this? We already have 3, but some people aren't constantly looking for Mafia games.

I can change my signature to link to this thread if you'd like. It might attract more people.

I think word of mouth will be the best way to get people to sign up.  I just don't know how many actual newbies we have interested in games.  I PMed one, have Jimmmmm signed up already, and hope Qvist will as well.

Are there other newbies around?  Theory, might be time you finally come to the dark side.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »

Huh, yeah, ok. Hopefully you can pull some people in!

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 07:24:54 pm »

I just added a line to my signature.  If you want to, that helps as well.

Abra655

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 03:50:26 pm »

Im in!

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 03:51:44 pm »

Confirming that I am in.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 03:54:54 pm »

Since RMM3 is over, I'll /in this one for a more normal game. And also Buffy.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »

I just added a line to my signature.  If you want to, that helps as well.

Good idea. Done.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 05:16:26 pm »

Ok, I'll /in for this. I was a bit turned off by theme (I just mean I know nothing about Buffy, not that I have anything against it), but it seems like it will play normally. Will you be making public what the themed names of all the roles are?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »

Ok, I'll /in for this. I was a bit turned off by theme (I just mean I know nothing about Buffy, not that I have anything against it), but it seems like it will play normally. Will you be making public what the themed names of all the roles are?

The role names won't change (for example, Cop is still Cop).  Flavor names are handled in a manner where zero knowledge of the show is needed to play this game.  It's really just a normal mafia game reskinned with Buffy.  Almost 100% mostly, anyway.  I promise it's fun, and you'll like it.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 05:45:08 pm »

also watch some damn buffy

she/her

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 04:50:40 pm »

We need 5 more for a full game here.  I think we've captured all the newbies, unless shraeye gets his girlfriend to join.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »

I might join this game, but I'd probably want to /out somewhere else if I do.

Abra655 is a friend of mine IRL, so there's a twinclaim to watch out for. Mostly I'd join so it can get started sooner for his sake.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 55  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 19 queries.