Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Finally a mega-turn!  (Read 1776 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
Finally a mega-turn!
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:58 am »

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110828-085712-d3b74d6e.html

I recently played a game with King's Court, Goons and Bridge. Both my opponent and I bought as many as we could. Now before I get highly critiqued, I don't think either of us did it that well: with Goons the only attack either of us used, the score after his turn 30 was 39-33 his way. And I can't believe I ignored Smithy for as long as I did. Anyway, finally on my turn 30, I drew KC, KC, Smithy (the other two were discarded to Goons), and proceeded to end the game by adding 105 points to my score.

Now I'm sure this has been done before, but that was my highest ever score and best ever turn.  ;D

Questions for the experts: would Big Money have won this game? How do you best go about setting up a mega-turn (eg KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge or a bunch of Goons + buys to finish the game)?

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Finally a mega-turn!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 09:15:31 am »

I think overall you played it pretty well. 

KC/Bridge/Goons wants to have zero other clutter in the deck. You did well picking up the salvager early. Your opponent got one also, but then he started doing weird things like buying money. This deck doesn't want any money junking up it's draws. It only wants KCs, Goons, Bridges, and smithies.

I think a few errors could have led to a quicker game, such as this turn:

--- Jimmmmm's turn 15 ---
   Jimmmmm plays a King's Court.
   ... and plays a Bridge.
   ... ... getting +1 buy, +$1, and reducing all costs by $1.
   ... and plays the Bridge again.
   ... and plays the Bridge a third time.
   Jimmmmm plays a Silver and 2 Coppers.
   Jimmmmm buys a Bridge.
   Jimmmmm buys a Bridge.
   Jimmmmm buys a Salvager.
   Jimmmmm buys a Salvager.

You shouldn't have been buying salvagers anymore, those salvagers should have been more bridges, and smithies.

After your first Salvager purchase, I'd have gone entirely for bridges then 1-2 smithies, then all bridges and KC from there.

Overall you played it pretty well, except for buying too many salvagers.

A question to keep the discussion going....

Is it even worth going goons here? Would you go for the goons, or would you just go for KC/Bridge/Smithy and hope to buy 8 provinces in 1 turn to end the game. I'm thinking you could do it sometime around turn 15-18 with a focusses non-goons strategy?

I.e. open Salvager, get a KC, get 1-2 bridges, get 1-2 Smithies, then buy KC > Bridge

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 10:27:42 am »

I expect that a courtyard plus a choice of strong terminal action would be enough to win.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 02:38:21 pm »

I think with salvager around to accelerate end-game, and no faster trashing or village to get goons going at any reasonable pace, a "fast" strategy should be able to end the game before you can get off those killer double-KC turns.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.