Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: What's your dominion pet peeve?  (Read 32922 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
What's your dominion pet peeve?
« on: August 29, 2011, 02:37:17 am »

I thought it might be fun to share these with each other.

My pet peeve, and this is more related to the isotropic implementation of the game, is when my opponent continues to reveal tournaments after I've revealed a province. I realize you've bought 8 of them because they are fun to spam early, but I don't need to know that you drew a hand of 4 dead tournaments. Let's just move on.

Note: If there is a reason to keep revealing them (i.e. conspirator or peddler) then by all means go ahead.

The Adventurer

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Re: What's your dominion pet peeve?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 03:23:40 am »

- KC KC ESTATE COPPER COPPER for one.

- Having 4-3 against a 5-2 with Mountebank available.

- Playing someone that won't finish on piles when they can, when they're leading by a large margin. Just put me out of my misery once and for all x_x

- Ppl who select auto-match and do cherry picking, because I don't (isotropic).

- Treasure maps missing eachother for several turns

- Ambassador. And Ambassador/Ambassador openings. It's such a game staller... on that note :

- Games that last 40 turns or more. Unless there's a special twist about it, it's just too long.

... i'll come up with more, though it's plenty for now ;) lol

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:07:17 am »

- Ppl who select auto-match and do cherry picking, because I don't (isotropic).

- Ambassador. And Ambassador/Ambassador openings. It's such a game staller... on that note :

These two always seem to happen together for me. My opponents refuse games because they have Possession, or whatever reason that I don't know for ages and then when someone finally accepts a game it always seems to be an Ambassador game. So bored of Ambassador.

Tydude

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 08:15:56 am »

One of mine is when the other player pointlessly reveals the same moat over and over and over and over and over again. In a game where the only reaction is moat, why have this?

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 08:34:28 am »

One of mine is when the other player pointlessly reveals the same moat over and over and over and over and over again. In a game where the only reaction is moat, why have this?

I guess most of us did this wrong the first time. The implementation is ok like it is, but anyway not intuitive. So you can simply explain to your opponent how it works.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:11:49 pm »

I guess most of us did this wrong the first time. The implementation is ok like it is, but anyway not intuitive. So you can simply explain to your opponent how it works.

I like that isotropic supports multi-revealing like it should, but it would lead to less confusion if the texts changed after you've already revealed a card, so the option was called something like "reveal a moat again" the next time. Then people wouldn't believe that they somehow didn't succeed in revealing it the first time.

"Reveal a secret chamber. Reveal a moat. Reveal a secret chamber again. Done."

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 12:26:51 pm »

I think the Moat issue would be better if it just confirmed that you blocked the attack after you revealed it the first time. 

On a similar note, I hate it when people reveal Secret Chamber more than once (when there aren't other reactions like the classic SC, Moat, SC example).  It is the same 7 cards every time.  I had a guy reveal it 5 or 6 times in a row one time.  I think he finally returned the SC which stopped the chain of nonsense.

My biggest pet peeve is definitely Pirate Ship though.  I really just dislike the card, so I always try to beat it without using it, which is a losing proposition on some boards.  Unfortunately, I think I hate Ship mirror matches more than failing when I try to not use it.  I feel like I always end up on the wrong side of the luck when my opponent and I are both filling our deck with as many non-terminals as we can get + Ships.  They also like to hit my Silver on the first swing far too often.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 12:52:30 pm »

I think the Moat issue would be better if it just confirmed that you blocked the attack after you revealed it the first time. 

On a similar note, I hate it when people reveal Secret Chamber more than once (when there aren't other reactions like the classic SC, Moat, SC example).  It is the same 7 cards every time.  I had a guy reveal it 5 or 6 times in a row one time.  I think he finally returned the SC which stopped the chain of nonsense.

My biggest pet peeve is definitely Pirate Ship though.  I really just dislike the card, so I always try to beat it without using it, which is a losing proposition on some boards.  Unfortunately, I think I hate Ship mirror matches more than failing when I try to not use it.  I feel like I always end up on the wrong side of the luck when my opponent and I are both filling our deck with as many non-terminals as we can get + Ships.  They also like to hit my Silver on the first swing far too often.

Secret Chamber for me too.  I almost always play with it banned just because of the time sink.  I will auto reject any Secret Chamber + Torturer games with no second thought.  Had one that ran almost 2 hours once.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:00 pm »

For me, it's people who say "gg" in every single game, regardless of how good the game actually was; then it loses its meaning.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:37 pm »

My pet peeve is when one player (usually me) falls behind because of a bad shuffle or attack timing early in the game but has no way to recover. It's no fun playing out turns 7-15 if the conclusion is preordained.

krawhitham

• Baron
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 10:25:25 pm »

My pet peeve is when one player (usually me) falls behind because of a bad shuffle or attack timing early in the game but has no way to recover. It's no fun playing out turns 7-15 if the conclusion is preordained.

For 2 player games: If you genuinely feel that you have nothing to learn from playing on (even when you are going to lose it is an opportunity to experiment) then simply congratulate your opponent on playing better and resign. Even if it's clearly because of shuffle luck, you can still retire gracefully and acknowledge the defeat.

For 3/4 player games it's a different story because it dramatically changes the game dynamic.

Of course, the next reply will be "my pet peeve is people who resign".

The Adventurer

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 12:15:43 am »

Don't think I am writing this to be an antagonist with no other purpose in life than to contradict people, but I actually have the opposite pet peeve :
- People who get irritated with me when I'm resigning as gracefully as possible (i.e. mentioning in a text a brief reason for it, gg/wp, done)

It just happens that real life catches up with you sometimes or that you just feel like the game is doomed... Resigning is not all that bad!

It actually gives the victory to the well deserving player and cuts to the chase for everyone! But I guess that it kills the pleasure of crushing people for a sadistic person...

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 08:11:37 am »

My peeves are few.  But the one thing that is mildly annoying is when my opponent can obviously stop what they are doing and end the game in a win, but instead choose to plod on building more coin or buying out a bunch of inconsequential VP.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

The Adventurer

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 03:05:05 pm »

I just got totally irritated by a player who stopped acting for a long while because he didn't like the turn of events. I had very long turns indeed (scrying pool possession), so I'd understand if someone resigned. But to not be responsive on purpose when asked to discard, wait for me to click "Make xyz resign", to then disappear immediately in the lobby... Wasn't unintentional let me tell you this!

Tydude

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 03:19:09 pm »

I just got totally irritated by a player who stopped acting for a long while because he didn't like the turn of events. I had very long turns indeed (scrying pool possession), so I'd understand if someone resigned. But to not be responsive on purpose when asked to discard, wait for me to click "Make xyz resign", to then disappear immediately in the lobby... Wasn't unintentional let me tell you this!

Yeah, the people who do that are the worst. One game, I was beating my opponent pretty badly (which is quite rare for me). It got to his turn, and nothing happened. I sat there for about two minutes and then typed, "U know, i can auto resign u if u take 2 long." Almost immediately, he started playing again. Ah, good times.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 03:27:59 pm »

I've played a lot of online chess at Yahoo, and this is the standard temper tantrum tactic there, too.  You drop your Queen for no compensation because you made a bad move, suddenly my previously speedy opponent becomes unresponsive.  Usually they'll leave the room, leaving me hanging (to protect against flaky connections, a user whose connection drops gets time to reconnect and resume), but sometimes they'll stick around.  The trouble with Chess is that the timeout is 10 minutes, much higher than for most other games, since sometimes Chess moves take that long.  At 10 minutes, I auto-resign them, but by that point I'm usually playing another game in another window.

The worst kind are the ones that continue to play, only they take 9 minutes for each turn.  For those types, the game clock gets them (I usually play with 30-35 minutes per player) before too many turns.  I just don't understand why you play a game at all if you enjoy it so little that dragging out a game you've lost is more fun than playing the next one.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »

when someone drops out of a 3 player game in the beginning and then you're stuck with 12 prov

Graystripe77

• Tactician
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
    • Dreamkeeperscomic.com
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 04:54:04 pm »

when someone drops out of a 3 player game in the beginning and then you're stuck with 12 prov

Absolute mess when that happens.

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 04:57:20 pm »

Secret Chamber in Minion games ;(

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

Scrying Pool decks. My other pet peeve is that sometimes I look at the board and realize... I'm going to have to play a Scrying Pool deck.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 05:36:42 pm »

Man, I love Scrying Pool.  I think it is bar none my favorite engine card.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 06:23:09 pm »

-When every single Cutpurse is a "hit", and it never gets played on those other turns where it wouldn't have mattered.
-When you build a vastly superior double-Tac/Goons deck, but you lose because Tactician was the last card in your deck on the 3rd to last turn, while the other guy's much more bloated deck full of cards that don't draw ("MOAR HERBALISTS!") never once fails to find his 2nd Tactician, so he ends the game one turn before you can put it away with a zillion VPs.

...two painful losses to the same opponent just now :'(

The Cutpurse one was especially bad. His last two attacks, if either one had been offset by a turn I'd certainly have won, and I had the winning hand in front of me if he'd failed to buy the last Province on his own final turn.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:25:22 pm by guided »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2011, 09:42:26 am »

Continual complaining about bad luck. Sure, horrible luck happens, and it's okay to mention it, but when people go on and on about it, especially when they've clearly made some terrible decisions.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 05:10:53 am »

I love getting the "Piledriver" achievement as much as possible, since it's such a great way to catch opponents off guard who themselves might have gone for the automatic double Province. At the end of this City-Lab-Uni-GM-Trade Route game I have exactly $16 and 8 Buys due to a Chancellor I managed to pick up with Uni and draw immediately. At this point, Cities + Labs were obviously gone.

Here's an example:
Code: [Select]
— Your turn 14 —
You play a Laboratory.
... You draw a Copper and a Laboratory and get +1 action.
You play a Laboratory.
... You draw a Trade Route and a Laboratory and get +1 action.
You play a Laboratory.
... You draw a Copper and a Laboratory and get +1 action.
You play a Laboratory.
... You draw a City and a Copper and get +1 action.
You play a City.
... You draw a City and a Laboratory and get +2 actions, +1 buy, and +$1.
You play a City.
... You draw a City and a Copper and get +2 actions, +1 buy, and +$1.
You play a City.
... You draw a Silver and a Trade Route and get +2 actions, +1 buy, and +$1.
You play a City.
... You draw a Gold and a Trade Route and get +2 actions, +1 buy, and +$1.
You play a Laboratory.
... You draw a Grand Market and a Copper and get +1 action.
You play a Grand Market.
... You draw a Laboratory and get +1 action, +1 buy, and +$2.
You play a University.
... You get +2 actions.
... You gain a Chancellor.
You play a Laboratory.
... (You reshuffle.)
... You draw a City and a Chancellor and get +1 action.
You play a City.
... You draw nothing and get +2 actions, +1 buy, and +$1.
You play a Chancellor.
... You get +$2.
... You put your deck into your discard pile.
You play a Trade Route.
... You trash a Trade Route.
... You get +1 buy.
You play a Gold and 2 Silvers.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
You buy an Estate.
(You reshuffle.)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

HLennartz

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 05:01:46 pm »

- KC KC ESTATE COPPER COPPER for one.

I just played a game where I had 3 King's Courts in my hand, and no other actions:

Code: [Select]
HLennartz plays a King's Court.
... and plays a King's Court.
... ... and plays a King's Court.
... ... ... but plays no action with it.
... ... and plays the King's Court again.
... ... and plays the King's Court a third time.
... and plays the King's Court again.
... ... but plays no action with it.
... and plays the King's Court a third time.
... ... but plays no action with it.

...now that's power.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.