Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What's your dominion pet peeve?  (Read 32997 times)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: What's your dominion pet peeve?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 07:52:38 am »

I have no problem with resignation, but I have run into an absolute rash of players lately who sullenly drop from the game when they get behind rather than officially resigning. I have had to wait for the force-resign timeout to bank 10-20% of my wins over the last few weeks. Infuriating.

elrabin

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 10:35:31 am »

Every now and then I have a game where enemy attacks seem to always hit at the perfect time, and my attacks seem to hit at the worst times.

Biderman

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 05:43:47 pm »

Every now and then I have a game where enemy attacks seem to always hit at the perfect time, and my attacks seem to hit at the worst times.

I had the opposite happen yesterday... I hit literally every gold he bought all game with Pirate Ship.

snappy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:05 pm »

I have no problem with resignation, but I have run into an absolute rash of players lately who sullenly drop from the game when they get behind rather than officially resigning. I have had to wait for the force-resign timeout to bank 10-20% of my wins over the last few weeks. Infuriating.

imho, there should be an option to resign during the other player's turn. who wants to wait through a long turn when the game is all but lost already.

that brings me to my pet peeve ... when an opponent decides to buy more provinces/colonies rather than 3-piling for the win.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 12:29:06 pm »

that brings me to my pet peeve ... when an opponent decides to buy more provinces/colonies rather than 3-piling for the win.

agreed.  if you have a clear lead and the ability to end the game on your turn you should.  i totally understand that we sometimes lose track of points, but in most games you have a pretty clear idea of who is ahead. 

i played a game with city/goons/trashing game the other day where the player built a nice lead on me and then continued buying cards for his engine even though he could have ended it on piles.  i pointed it right away and he replied that he wanted to see how many points he could get, and that he was shooting for 100+.  i replied that i didn't think it was very cool to do and he just replied that i could resign if i had a problem.  probably the first time i've ever gotten angry playing this game. 
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:42 pm »

Hah. In retrospect, I can totally see myself doing that. Playing for achievements - aiming for a 100-point turn to get the achievement even if it's not necessary for the victory. I've never even come close to that.

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2011, 07:35:39 am »

I basically don't like cards/boards that determine the winner in turns 3-5. Chapel and Remake are a couple of those. An Alchemist/Familiar race where one person draws Potion and less than $3 (and worse, in the fifth hand) is another example.

Of course, Witch can make a game lost in turns 1-2. If my opponent gets 5/2 with a Witch and I'm 4/3, I just cross my fingers that the Witch is gonna be 11th or 12th after reshuffle.

And Ambassador. Very very hard card to beat if you don't buy it also.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:35 am »

I basically don't like cards/boards that determine the winner in turns 3-5. Chapel and Remake are a couple of those. An Alchemist/Familiar race where one person draws Potion and less than $3 (and worse, in the fifth hand) is another example.

Of course, Witch can make a game lost in turns 1-2. If my opponent gets 5/2 with a Witch and I'm 4/3, I just cross my fingers that the Witch is gonna be 11th or 12th after reshuffle.

And Ambassador. Very very hard card to beat if you don't buy it also.

I've got some bad news for you, friend. Dominion is a game which relies heavily on the shuffling of cards, and therefore there is a lot of luck involved especially around those times when you need to shuffle your cards. Shuffle luck can "determine the winner in turns 3-5" on pretty much every board if you consider a game where you whiff your potion over, or if you think you've lost because your opponent got a 5/2 split and you didn't. Of course, it isn't actually true in those situations that there is no hope left for you, but if you're one of those people who think that is the case, then just resign and start a new game. Don't expect the new game to have any less luck though ;)

PigFiend

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 05:46:36 pm »

opponent got a 5/2 split and you didn't. Of course, it isn't actually true in those situations that there is no hope left for you, but if you're one of those people who think that is the case, then just resign and start a new game. Don't expect the new game to have any less luck though ;)
Thanks for characterizing me as a wuss. I actually like luck as part of the game. One reason is the element of hope that even if it started badly for you or you even made a mistake, an opportunity might present itself if you can recognize it. My preference is for a game that is more apt to offer these windows, so the cards that are my pet peeves are the ones that carry much stronger momentum from the luck of their first draw.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:47 pm »

Familiar race where one person draws Potion and less than $3 (and worse, in the fifth hand) is another example.

Yeah, opening something/potion, and then drawing 2p and having the potion miss the reshuffle... means the opponent may get to have bought 2 familiars and played one before you even get your first - yeah, that might be gg, on a board with no trashing. That really sucks. I hate that.

On a board with trashing, you can get behind in the curse race but still be okay if you're ahead in the race for whatever else needs to be done though. I think I've made a comeback like that before. 

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:10 am »

Concerning late game Sea Hags (after Curses have gone): Do you keep playing them and why?

I always think: Once my opponent has started buying Provinces, it's better to increase his shuffling rate so he draws his green more often and gets to $8 less often. On the other hand, I'm cycling the cards he used to buy that Province into his draw deck faster. Sure, it's only 1 card, but does anyone have any strategy with late game Sea Hags?

Let's assume we can't trash them, they'll remain in our hands until game end.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 04:15:38 am »

I never play Sea Hags after the Curses are gone. No real reason, I just don't.

Nihnoz

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 04:30:23 am »

I never play Sea Hags after the Curses are gone. No real reason, I just don't.
It's a refreshing change to not play an action in hand for once.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 05:00:38 am »

If he's still buying treasures, I don't play the hags.

If he's greening, I play the hags.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 08:10:37 am »

If he's still buying treasures, I don't play the hags.

If he's greening, I play the hags.
Yep. This seems pretty straightforwardly correct.

However, whenever I play against somebody who keeps playing their Hags every time, even during the midgame when I'm still buying good cards, they always hit one of my good cards ;)

Fangz

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 08:10:48 am »

Watch the cards he uses. If he's been having a rotten streak of draws since the last reshuffle, play the hags to cycle past the good cards he has remaining in his deck. If he's been playing golds and stuff, don't play the hags so that he has to deal with the less good cards in his deck. You don't need to card count (but it helps if you do keep track of how many golds he has, for example) but you should be able to figure out the relative strength of his remaining cards if you pay attention.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 08:13:03 am by Fangz »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.