Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What's your dominion pet peeve?  (Read 33024 times)

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: What's your dominion pet peeve?
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »

I just got totally irritated by a player who stopped acting for a long while because he didn't like the turn of events. I had very long turns indeed (scrying pool possession), so I'd understand if someone resigned. But to not be responsive on purpose when asked to discard, wait for me to click "Make xyz resign", to then disappear immediately in the lobby... Wasn't unintentional let me tell you this!

If you had "very long turns indeed", why would you expect your opponent to wait patiently in case they need to respond to your attacks?  If you are taking a long time every turn, the person is unlikely to sit there studying your every move.  Most likely he was away from his computer, doing something else.  Long turns are part of the game, but playing against someone who's taking very long turns every turn is boring as hell.  And if you're making the other player wait every turn, you should show a little more patience yourself.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:19 pm »

If you had "very long turns indeed", why would you expect your opponent to wait patiently in case they need to respond to your attacks?
Yes, absolutely. If you're not willing to do this, resign. To continue without resigning but choose to be inattentive is extremely rude.

Making the other player wait while you continuously act is categorically different from making the other player wait while you do nothing.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 10:43:14 pm »

Strongly agree here.  If you're not playing the game attentively, you shouldn't be playing at all.  Imagine playing a game in person and making someone wait because you're busy checking your email or watching YouTube videos.  I see no reason why the etiquette should be any different online.  Of course if you can check your email AND pay attention, so what?  But if you're making someone wait on you because you got bored, resign and find a way to waste your time without also wasting someone else's.

The Adventurer

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2011, 12:09:06 am »

Thanks for backing me up here! Because, yes, since I sometimes am the "other player waiting" , I still give my 100% attention. I had long turns not because of inactivity or latency on my part, but just because the cards themselves make the turns longer. If you play the game, you should expect for it to take as long as it does and yes, some chained cards make it longer. If you have no patience for it or if you get bored, just do something else than play this game in the first place. I shall not adjust my purchases to not bore you, it just doesn't make strategic sense... Though I'd find it perfectly acceptable for someone to resign and go on a more fast-paced game if they wished, don't make it lag out of spite and boredom.

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2011, 02:23:22 pm »

...which brings me to my pet peeve...games where the opponent is only happy if he takes several minutes every turn, but gets upset if it takes me more than five seconds to respond to something.  It's possible to play ten actions in a minute if you have a decent connection and half a brain; you don't need to study every possible move for twenty seconds before playing, and it really doesn't take me twenty seconds to contemplate the action..."ooh, he played a Coppersmith, let me meditate on this."  If you wait a long time before playing each action, you should accept the fact that this isn't fun for the other player and he's probably going to get something from the fridge or go to the bathroom once in awhile, so he may not be sitting in rapt attention at your brilliance.  If you insist on taking "very long turns indeed" but get pissy if you don't get very fast responses, you're a hypocrite.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2011, 02:35:43 pm »

If you insist on taking "very long turns indeed" but get pissy if you don't get very fast responses, you're a hypocrite.
Resign or pay attention. Period.

Several people have already pointed out the difference between being afk vs. taking a long time to click through a bunch of actions. There is no hypocrisy. If people are really verbally abusing you for taking literally 5 seconds, then they shouldn't do that, but I sincerely doubt that's the sort of behavior (on your part or theirs) that you're actually talking about.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 04:54:13 pm by guided »

rod-

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2011, 03:01:17 pm »

It could be improved such that isotropic makes the "bloop" noise that it makes when it becomes your turn EVERY time you get priority.  It wouldn't fix EVERY case of someone failing to respond to your attacks, but it would help some.

KristianBahle

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 10:16:07 am »

Losing to Bishop AINEC

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 04:26:16 pm »

Mono-Bishop is one of those strategies like single-Envoy or single-Smithy that is beautiful in its simplicity and works on a disturbingly large percentage of boards. When I stopped trying to force ways to beat Bishop on boards that don't support massive engines and just started playing the Bishop deck, I started losing less to Bishop ;D

If there's no strong engine on a Bishop board, and you try to go for Provinces, the Bishop player can often extend the game plenty long enough just trashing Golds and Silvers every turn without helping you empty the Province pile, while your deck stalls out because it's full of green cards. Even if you get 7-8 Provinces, oops, the Bishop player has 60 VP chips.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:28:43 pm by guided »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2011, 11:59:02 am »

I'm always a little insulted when my opponent vetoes treasure map on a board where clearly any halfway decent player is not going to buy treasure map.

Nihnoz

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 07:52:06 pm »

I'm always a little insulted when my opponent vetoes treasure map on a board where clearly any halfway decent player is not going to buy treasure map.
It's like playing an 11 card board. Think of it that way.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 08:00:07 pm »

I tend to veto cards that I don't think either player will buy. I figure, why not make the game more interesting by having more cards that might be bought? Also, Treasure Map is probably my most-vetoed card. Not really because of the variance. More because if it does anything for you, it puts a bunch of treasure in your deck, and in my opinion, (basic) treasure is boring.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1676
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »

Players who, having built a superior engine and gained a substantial lead, proceed to decksturbate rather than end the game as quickly as possible.

matt979

• Steward
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:13 pm »

...which brings me to my pet peeve...games where the opponent is only happy if he takes several minutes every turn, but gets upset if it takes me more than five seconds to respond to something.

This.

Sort of related but not really: In the past few days I've had an infuriating amount of lag (probably my Comcastic connection).  Not sure what else do to when this comes up aside from apologizing (once I get reconnected), resigning (if it's persistent and I'm not going to win any time soon), and staying away from Isotropic for awhile.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 08:16:11 pm »

In the past few days I've had an infuriating amount of lag (probably my Comcastic connection).  Not sure what else do to when this comes up aside from apologizing (once I get reconnected), resigning (if it's persistent and I'm not going to win any time soon), and staying away from Isotropic for awhile.

I've had some as well, and I've had more than one opponent apologise to me for it.

PSUmvp

• Coppersmith
  • Shuffle iT Username: MVP
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 04:53:05 pm »

What about dinky little Vineyard/gardens games.  There is no art to them... nothing worse than a deck full of pawns and estates.

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 04:05:31 pm »

-Pirate Ship.  Just Pirate Ship.
-Getting declined in Auto-match.  Why are you there?
-Getting dropped.  Seems both my connection and isotropic have improved, but I used to time out of matches quite a bit.
-Opponents who leave without a word.  I am not the chattiest by any means unless my opponent starts talking, but I make it a point to at least throw out a "gg" or something.
-Ragequitters and people who blame me for my luck.  I am kinda okay with whining about luck, but I had somebody the other day make a snide comment and quit just as my engine was rolling.  Ain't my fault, dude.
-When it doesn't beep at me.  I perhaps am a horrible person for occasionally switching tabs for a couple seconds during long turns or idling, but every once in a while I don't notice it's waiting on me.
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

glasser

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 04:28:49 pm »

For what it's worth: I play in "veto mode: don't care" mode because I literally don't care: if you want to veto cards, that's great for you, but except for this week when I've been trying to make sure not to veto the one Hinterlands card there, I always click the "veto random card" link myself. So don't read too much into others' veto choices :)

Elyv

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 07:45:48 pm »

For what it's worth: I play in "veto mode: don't care" mode because I literally don't care: if you want to veto cards, that's great for you, but except for this week when I've been trying to make sure not to veto the one Hinterlands card there, I always click the "veto random card" link myself. So don't read too much into others' veto choices :)
Treasure Map gets vetoed a lot, actually. It's definitely not just random in my experience.

It's unfortunate, I actually like treasure map and think it's a good card in certain circumstances.

biopower

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 01:56:18 am »

Well, Treasure Map vetoes are often just in case the opponent gets obscenely lucky and not as an implication that the opponent would be bad enough to go for them. With Chancellor, it's quite possible for maps to be activated by Turn 4, depending on shuffle luck.

meshuggah42

• Salvager
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2011, 07:36:31 am »

My pet peeve: getting slammed by Familiar. Both of us open 4/3, both of us buy Potion, both of us buy 1 Familiar and then comes a hand with 2+P while my opponent has 3+P. After that I'm almost certain that I'll lose. And this happened several times to me...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:12:40 am by meshuggah42 »

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2011, 10:34:14 am »

My pet peeve: getting slammed by Familiar. Both of us open 4/3, both of us buy Potion, both of us buys 1 Familiar and then comes a hand with 2+P while my opponent has 3+P. After that I'm almost certain that I'll lose. And this happened several times to me...
This is why I veto Familiar with really high priority :) I'll leave it in if Sea Hag or Witch is available though, since I can't veto both cards....

ana

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2011, 03:35:05 pm »

What I hate the most is a game with Saboteur and Golem...when the opponent started to buy these after turn 10, after I had a nice hand, and it sabotaged in every single hand..buying around 2-3 of them, and I couldn't possibly keep up with that...it's a bit like cheating...you build a lousy deck and then attack the other. He also had a lucky draw, buying golem immediately(next turn) after buying the potion. I usually never veto saboteur because from all the games that I played, in 99% of the cases no one used it.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2011, 02:32:58 am »

I hate when people resign when the game's about to finish. I guess it's fair enough if you've clearly lost but there's still ages to go. But if I just got a 2 or 3-Province lead with 1 Province left, would it really kill you to let me have 1 or 2 more turns to finish the game properly?

play2draw

« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2011, 02:39:37 am »
+1

I really don't mind resignation facing inevitable defeat. I come from a (moderate) Chess background. Resigning is the honorable way to go.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 20 queries.