Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Turn Order and Greening  (Read 2301 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Turn Order and Greening
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:58:41 pm »

A thought just popped into my head just now: in a 2-player mirror match, which player should try to start greening first? Should it be player 2, being a turn behind, in order to try to "make up for lost ground" (this brings to mind the "taking risks as p2" thread I'm too lazy to find), or should it be player 1, in order to possibly make p2, a turn behind, start greening prematurely? I'm just wondering if turn order affects "greening order" (at least as a general tendency; of course it depends on the situation).
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Order and Greening
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:11:50 am »
+1

I feel like the part of the game where you consider greening is far enough from the start of the game that the relevant question isn't who went first, it's who has a better deck currently.

That's not an answer, but I thought I'd throw it out there. If it's a Familiar board and I hit $2P as Player 1 and you hit $3P as Player 2, am I really Player 1 anymore?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 02:14:55 pm »
+1

Turn order really doesn't effect when I start greening, just the makings of my deck.

If I feel there's no sense forgoing that Province anymore, I'm taking it, be it p1 or p2. Getting the lead can be quite substantial with cards like Salvager etc. I also try to watch my opponent's deck to sneakily try to win the Vineyards split (he just passed his Potion and bought an action card).

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 09:37:11 pm »
+1

-snip-
I also try to watch my opponent's deck to sneakily try to win the Vineyards split (he just passed his Potion and bought an action card).

If he was going for Vineyards, why would he have passed a Potion?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »

I think that if the second player sees the mirror match as a losing strategy then greening first can be a worthwhile gambit. Second player certainly needs to be cautious about greening a whole turn later since that can leave a major shortfall to recover.

Moving into three and four player games there might be even more incentive to take risks if only winning, and not a place, is important.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:41:41 am »

-snip-
I also try to watch my opponent's deck to sneakily try to win the Vineyards split (he just passed his Potion and bought an action card).

What I meant was, I saw him play his Potion, but he did not buy a Vineyards with that hand.
In those cases, I might get a Vineyard with my Potion hand and buy another Potion on the same shuffle so I can possibly get the oh so important 5-3 split.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:24 pm »

-snip-

What I meant was, I saw him play his Potion, but he did not buy a Vineyards with that hand.
In those cases, I might get a Vineyard with my Potion hand and buy another Potion on the same shuffle so I can possibly get the oh so important 5-3 split.
Oh, thanks for the explanation!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 07:58:26 pm »
+1

-snip-

Then why did he play the potion at all? 

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »

-snip-

Then why did he play the potion at all?

To buy a different card with Potion in its cost?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 02:16:13 am »
+1

The answer is more simple: He pushed the +$5P button on Iso.
You could also choose not to play the Potion, but if I see someone carefully playing each Copper, you know he wants to hide something anyway.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.