Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Going Public With The Dominion Strategy Wiki  (Read 13468 times)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
Going Public With The Dominion Strategy Wiki
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:52:22 am »
+1

we've had a couple of other threads derail (often with my help) into discussion about what should happen if/when the wiki goes live/public. i figured we might as well attempt to keep the discussion in one place.
some topics to discuss:
- main page - any aesthetic or content improvements to make, how to generate and vary main page content (featured article, did you know, etc)
- quality level before going public - how far along should pages be, how much infrastructure do we want in place
- editing ability - allow fully anonymous editing, restrict to registered accounts, only open certain pages for anon editing, editing rules and guidelines
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
Re: Going Public With The Dominion Strategy Wiki
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 02:34:02 am »

I feel the wiki main page really needs some kind of starting point for people who don't know exactly what they are looking for.
Unless you know the name of the card you're looking for there's no real way to get there.

I think a list of expansions on the main page would already be a big improvement. From there you could get to the expansion page and check out all the cards of that expansion. It also helps with one of the most common questions we get: "Which expansion should I get first / next?"

Edit: Or maybe a link to "List of Expansions" in the navigation that would link to a separate list of expansions page.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 02:42:02 am by PitzerMike »

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:33:30 am »
+1

I think the page "Dominion" should be a good starting point. But it should talk about the whole game, not the base set (which should get "Base Set" page - unfortunately it has no name on its own, one of the few things I like about Polish translation is that base set is called Dominion: Torn Kingdom instead of just Dominion). It should be an article explaining basic rules, giving a short overview of expansions, and pointing to all other interesting issues - so that everyone, even someone completely new to the game, can start there and find his way around the Wiki. Such article should be promoted at the main page as "Read this first" thing.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 07:02:09 am »

I would also remind on the license thing before going public. At least have some more people comment.  At the moment it's
Content is available under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike.
which could also imply the pictures I guess as it is worded. Which of course is wrong.  Now wowwiki.com also states this, and if that's not a problem with Blizzard/Activision/Vivendi, it's probably also not a problem with RGG, but anyway maybe the wikipedia version
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.
is more fitting.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 07:08:21 am »

I'm in favor of opening it to the public ASAP. I know there are some important card articles that aren't started yet, but there's only so much a small group of users can do. I think now (or soon) is the perfect time to get people interested while there's still a lot to do, instead of having a well-polished wiki where they wouldn't be as interested in adding to it.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:34:41 am »
+3

I think it's important that editors need to register, as opposed to completely anonymous editing. Even ignoring the spam issue, people will put more effort into their contributions if they're even slightly accountable afterwards, and I would prefer less frequent, higher quality contributions to more frequent, lower quality ones.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 10:40:18 am »

Speaking of infrastructure, what do you guys think about having a Help Desk on the wiki to field both questions editors have about editing as well as questions readers have regarding the game itself (like WP's Reference Desk)?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »

Speaking of infrastructure, what do you guys think about having a Help Desk on the wiki to field both questions editors have about editing as well as questions readers have regarding the game itself (like WP's Reference Desk)?

i think that just gets into whether the majority of the wiki meta-discussion should take place here or on the wiki. that could be accomplished via the forums by just directing them to a faq or help thread here.

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 01:15:20 pm »

i think that just gets into whether the majority of the wiki meta-discussion should take place here or on the wiki. that could be accomplished via the forums by just directing them to a faq or help thread here.

Well I think at least the Help Desk feature should be on the wiki, so that people with quick questions that don't have (or want) a forum account can just ask on the wiki. And like I said, we can also field questions about wiki editing there too, which seems more appropriate on the wiki than on here. I think it's better and easier to have administrative discussion here in this forum, though.
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 02:26:18 pm »
+4

My aim was to have pages filled in for all the cards before the release - not just templates, but at least a  summary and a little bit of content in the strategy section and some synergies/antisynergies. At least something to be a starting point. I probably won't get to all of them in time though.

got up to cornucopia so far...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:23:29 pm by ftl »

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:49 pm »
+2

My aim was to have pages filled in for all the cards before the release - not just templates, but at least a  summary and a little bit of content in the strategy section and some synergies/antisynergies. At least something to be a starting point. I probably won't get to all of them in time though.

got up to cornucopia so far...

Going through Hinterlands now. I'm not sure what I'll once we get to Dark Ages. I don't feel I've played that nearly enough to start strategizing for it.

EDIT: OK, finished Hinterlands. At least, there's some intro and strategy on all the pages now. Formatting still needs some work and I didn't bother actually putting in a lot of internal links, but the bots can clean up after me, right?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 02:52:44 am by jonts26 »

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 03:07:12 am »

EDIT: OK, finished Hinterlands. At least, there's some intro and strategy on all the pages now. Formatting still needs some work and I didn't bother actually putting in a lot of internal links, but the bots can clean up after me, right?

The bot can only set internal links if we decide to make every mention of a card a link.
But what the bot does is transforming all [[$cardName]] links and variantes ([[$cardName|$Text]], [[$cardName]]$Text) into the {{Card|$CardName(|$Text)}} format, so you can just use the easytowrite [[]]notation and they will get transformed.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 03:11:19 am »

The bot can only set internal links if we decide to make every mention of a card a link.
But what the bot does is transforming all [[$cardName]] links and variantes ([[$cardName|$Text]], [[$cardName]]$Text) into the {{Card|$CardName(|$Text)}} format, so you can just use the easytowrite [[]]notation and they will get transformed.

OK, that's a fair compromise. I'll start working on that tomorrow. For now it's sleepy times.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »
+1

Honestly, I think we should go live very soon. There are only two places which I think should be completed before then: The Dominion game page, which is currently almost nothing, and the community portal which should include guidelines for editing. It currently has capitalization but we could use other things like internal linking.

As for who gets to edit, I say leave it open to anyone unless there is a reason to restrict. Things like the main page and templates should probably be restricted.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

Ok, I removed the "Request Account" feature and editing is now free for everyone. I suggest waiting a few more days and then going to public.
I also assigned some sysop rights to the active editors and protected the main page. If there will be problems we could be more restrictive on spefic pages or in general.

TwiNight

• Spy
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 07:05:20 pm »
+1

I think Main Page should be "Admin only" when we go public

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 09:05:42 pm »

I also want to put up a New to Dominion page (though if someone else wants to I won't get in your way) before launching it.  Probably I can make a post about it this week?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 10:34:42 pm »
+1

I also want to put up a New to Dominion page (though if someone else wants to I won't get in your way) before launching it.  Probably I can make a post about it this week?

i got the page started and i'm migrating content there as i can.

http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/New_To_Dominion

i basically just borrowed content from your old 'New To Dominion' article and my old FAQ and then smashed it all together and tried to organize it. feel free to add or reformat it to what you were thinking. in working on that i also threw together a wiki page for the glossary that could probably still use some work.

edit: everything that was linked on the old 'New To Dominion' article can be found on the wiki page. just needs a little more detail and organization.

edit2: i removed the FAQ page as everything on it (and more) is now referenced (and better organized) on the New To Dominion page. as part of that i updated the link referencing the FAQ on the main page.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 11:32:57 pm by greatexpectations »

TwiNight

• Spy
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 05:28:49 am »
+1

I changed the main page to full block

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 04:31:48 pm »
+4

gogogo launchlaunchlaunch

this thing is ready to go! IMO.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2012, 05:58:16 pm »
+1

gogogo launchlaunchlaunch

this thing is ready to go! IMO.

Agreed. Let's do this!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 09:51:24 am »
+1

Spam is still a problem.  Is there a more advanced anti-spam mod we can install?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 12:54:12 pm »

Ok, I suggest either remove anonymous editing or adding Captchas for each edit. Each has its up and down side.
Which one do you prefer?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 01:05:55 pm »

How hard is it to write a little hook into the wiki for approving users?

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 01:07:16 pm »
+1

Would removing anonymous editing solve anything? It seems most of the spam bots are creating accounts first.

Though captchas for each edit seems like it will be annoying to say the least.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 20 queries.