Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Cursers vs Masquerade  (Read 1920 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Cursers vs Masquerade
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:20:18 pm »

Can you ignore a Curser when Masquerade is on the board? Along with Masquerade support? More specifically, how about Familiar?

I just played a game with Obi Wan Bonogi... the key cards were Familiar, Masquerade, Farming Village, and lack of any other Potion-cost cards.

He opened Potion; I opened Talisman so I could spam Farming Village and Masquerade (the 5's didn't seem key either). He won, but it was very close, and I mis-clicked and passed him a Farming Village with an early Masq play. Wish I'd saved the log...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Cursers vs Masquerade
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:31:56 pm »
+1

Masquerade/silver/masquerade + treasure could be the baseline and then look for the other kingdom cards to improve on that. Familiar won't scratch that on its own.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:02 pm »

Masquerade seems to tear cursers a new one pretty well.  The worst 20% of your cards all belong to mother russia.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »

Delayed cursing can work, I think. But straight-up cursing basically has no harder counter than Masquerade.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:20:35 pm »

Why did you buy Farming Villages at all? I could see maybe buying a Talisman and using it to double up on Silver buys in the absence of $5 cards, but even that seems iffy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 02:29:37 pm »

Why did you buy Farming Villages at all? I could see maybe buying a Talisman and using it to double up on Silver buys in the absence of $5 cards, but even that seems iffy.

Yeah, in retrospect I think that just Silver would have been better.... my thought was to try and play multiple Masquerades per turn. With enough spare actions floating around, Masquerade becomes better than a Lab.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 02:38:57 pm »
+3

Yeah, in retrospect I think that just Silver would have been better.... my thought was to try and play multiple Masquerades per turn. With enough spare actions floating around, Masquerade becomes better than a Lab.

If you're building up to the point that you're playing 3 actions in one turn, you're playing into the hands of the Familiar. Double Masq + Treasure will usually beat Familiar play largely because of the speed. Going Familiar gives up a lot of early tempo. By going Talisman and Farming Villages, you're giving that tempo right back to him.

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 11:08:50 pm »

The inclusion of an extra copper (talisman) is REALLY BAD.

i.e. it needs better than farming village/masq to make it worth it

try gardens and +buy... then we're talking talisman level ;D
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 20 queries.