Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Top 100 Games: People's Choice @ Tom Vasel  (Read 29705 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Top 100 Games: People's Choice @ Tom Vasel
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:10 am »
+1

Carcassonne really rubs me the wrong way, too often especially if you add expansions its like well I need this tile, and well we all know what happens when you pull a tile out of that bag.

I love pulling the tile that I know someone else needs and purposefully placing it in one of the stupidest, most useless spots.

But I'm a jerk.

Thats not a jerky thing to do, thats the whole object of the game...

If you are not playing Carcassonne in a cut throat manner than you are playing it wrong!

For those people that don't rate it, was this just the base, because 'Inns and Cathedrals' and 'Traders and Builders' really add to the game, and make it much less likely to be decided by'who steals the opponents farm'
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 11:02:09 am »

Carcassonne really rubs me the wrong way, too often especially if you add expansions its like well I need this tile, and well we all know what happens when you pull a tile out of that bag.

I love pulling the tile that I know someone else needs and purposefully placing it in one of the stupidest, most useless spots.

But I'm a jerk.

I was playing three-player recently with Inns and Cathedrals. It was towards the end of the game and we'd done all we could to stop one player from completing her one massive, improbable city with a cathedral in the middle. She actually almost finished it, too, she just needed one more piece but it was a very uncommon type and we weren't even sure there were any more left. Still, I worked so hard to convince my other friend to place her piece to block the last space with an awkward road, even though that one piece seemed unlikely to come up.

Then of course when it came to my city-building friend's turn, she drew the one piece that would have let her finish her city for 40 or 50 points. She was so mad. ;D
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 11:33:32 am »

We (including my girlfriend) have
07. Settlers of Catan
06. Carcasonne
04. Ticket To Ride
02. 7 Wonders
01. Dominion

and played (additionally)
08. Smallworld

Like(d?) Settlers, but not played it in say 10years. But too much before that. 7 Wonders I'm not that deep into the strategy, but really like that it scales well in multiplayer.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 12:22:37 pm »

I've "only" played six of these :( Also, I'm sad Stone Age didn't make the cut.

I've never understood the appeal of worker placement games. They all seem the same to me, and none of them are interesting. Then again, it probably also has something to do with the fact I'm really bad at them.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:47 pm »

I believe for most games expansions are counted towards the base game.

I mailed Tom Vasel about Dominion as an example and whether votes for it would reflect votes for the entire family.
He replied that you could just vote for the base game and votes for expansions would be counted towards the base game.

I mean, I voted for Dominion because of the expansions, it really needs it and they add a lot.
Dominion - base only - would probably not rate as high.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 02:01:10 pm »

Thats not a jerky thing to do, thats the whole object of the game...

If you are not playing Carcassonne in a cut throat manner than you are playing it wrong!

Well, the proper cutthroat thing to do is to take the piece the other person wants and play it to maximize your own points. My lame joke was saying that I'd put it in the most worthless spot ever just to see the tears flow.
A man has no signature

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 02:35:12 pm »

Carcassonne, played 100% cutthroat and with a lot of expansions (so there are really many things you need to think about simultaneously) is a really good game. And it becomes big enough so that it's impossible to remember all the tiles. The problem is that you need some time and a lot of space when playing with 300+ tiles :)

From the rest of the list, I have Power Grid, I like it, but it rarely gets played as it takes whole evening and preferably 4-5 people. I played 7 Wonders a few times, interesting game, I may buy it at some point. Ticket to Ride is fun, I played it only once but definitely want more - not a strange thing I guess, I'm an orienteer and this game involves maps and route planning :) I also played Settlers of Catan a few times but it was not that much fun. I don't know anything about the other games.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 02:42:08 pm »
+3

Half the people in my gaming group always want to play Fluxx!!!

I have just accidentally left it out in the rain...... And then accidently stamped on it

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 02:43:08 pm »
+1

I have just accidentally left it out in the rain...... And then accidently stamped on it

Problem: My gaming group wants to play Fluxx
Solution: Don't by Fluxx in the first place ;)
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 03:28:51 pm »

Me and my girlfriend are those guys in the gaming group that almost never say no to a game of Dominion.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 03:31:59 pm »

Problem: My gaming group wants to play Fluxx
Solution: Don't by Fluxx in the first place ;)

I was young and nieve!! Well, maybe not young....

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »
+3

Me and my girlfriend are those guys in the gaming group that almost never say no to a game of Dominion.
ALMOST ? Why almost ?  :o

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:31 pm »

Mainly because I like other games too. To be fair, it's mostly me who almost never say no.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »

I've been fortunate with my most recent gaming group that they will actually play Dominion... the last I tried flat-out refused (allegedly because they had played it to death a few years ago).  I never turn it down personally.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »

Glad to hear you got better gaming friends now. ;)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 04:39:49 pm »

Play Mao instead.

Or... 1000 Blank White Cards?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 04:42:16 pm »

Play Mao instead.

Or... 1000 Blank White Cards?

I prefer 1000 Blank Black Cards. The theme is much darker.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 04:52:57 pm »
+7

01. Dominion
09. Race for the Galaxy
10. Powergrid
07. Settlers of Catan
05. Pandemic
04. Ticket To Ride
08. Small World
03. Agricola
02. 7 Wonders
06. Carcassonne
Dominion is my favorite game. When you make games, you can avoid things you don't like, and put in things you like, so in general I am a fan of my stuff, the good stuff anyway. So, nothing much to say there. For years my favorite game was Magic: The Gathering; I'd still put it second. Probably Nefarious is third.

Hunters & Gatherers is the fixed Carcassonne. It's very similar but the tiles are better balanced and scoring is simpler and it's slightly more fun otherwise. Unless there is a Carcassonne expansion you can't do without, that's that, stick with Hunters & Gatherers. I do like it, it would be in my top-10-not-mine games. I see it as in the same genre as Kingdom Builder - get a random result and make the best of it each turn - although Kingdom Builder is more strategic.

I like San Juan, which is either a precursor of Race or vice-versa. I would think simultaneously play would be an improvement, but the icons in Race weren't the move, and also to make the game feel less solitaire-y you really want to make good use of color. Limit cards to triggering on two actions, color the actions, then color the cards to match the actions they trigger on. So, if Produce is green and Explore is Blue, then a planet that does things when you Produce or Explore is green/blue. This way I could glance across the table and see actual information I care about about an opponent's position. This stops you from using color for goods and I think that's fine. Anyway I have made a bunch of games in the San Juan family, only simultaneous, it's a good genre.

Settlers is like a fixed Monopoly. Other people have argued this but it's true. It's not roll-and-move, but it's a mistake (that many trying to cash in have made) to look at Monopoly and just see that. You roll dice and see what you get; you get stuff when it isn't your turn; you have stuff that's yours that earns you income; you build up your stuff. And you trade. Anyway Settlers is a key game for the hobby but is way too political for me. I do not want to spend the evening saying, put the robber on those bricks, Tom is winning, look he's just about the get the longest road.

I haven't played Small World but I played Vinci, and my understanding is that Small World is a fixed version except not fixed enough for me, again for the politics issue. I liked Vinci but it needed the politics reduced. I don't know the specifics of Small World but one thing to try would be, at the end of the game, subtract the score of the player to your left from your score.

I haven't played 7 Wonders but I have made many drafting games. I was very sad that I didn't manage to get one published before 7 Wonders. I am still hoping to get one published before another one comes out. Fairy Tale wasn't so sad, I guess it was less related and didn't make as much of a splash.

Friedemann personally explained Power Grid to me, in case I could come up with a Dominion promo that tied into it. I didn't think of one (incidentally Jay insisted it would have to be a victory card, get it) and did Puerto Rico instead. That all worked out. I haven't played Power Grid though, or the other games on the list. I will always think of Pandemic as that game that lost every award ever to Dominion. Then when he redid it as Forbidden Island he got to lose everything to 7 Wonders.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:07:06 pm by Donald X. »

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:15 pm »

Plus 1 for this

Anyway Settlers is a key game for the hobby but is way too political for me. I do not want to spend the evening saying, put the robber on those bricks, Tom is winning, look he's just about the get the longest road.

I was super excited about eclipse until I spent the last 3 turns being Tom, and instead of "put the robber on his bricks", it was "blow all of his stuff up"
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 06:53:00 pm »
+1

Friedemann personally explained Power Grid to me, in case I could come up with a Dominion promo that tied into it. I didn't think of one (incidentally Jay insisted it would have to be a victory card, get it) and did Puerto Rico instead. That all worked out. I haven't played Power Grid though, or the other games on the list. I will always think of Pandemic as that game that lost every award ever to Dominion. Then when he redid it as Forbidden Island he got to lose everything to 7 Wonders.

Annnd...go.

What would be your top-10 not-by-yourself games?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2012, 02:20:34 am »

I like Small World especially because it's not so political.

I mean, it's not NOT political, but you're just trying to optimize points for the most part. So you'll almost always take areas with just 1 guy or them instead of one with 3 guys which happens to belong to the guy you loathe.

Sure, when deciding between 2 areas with 1 guy, one from you and one from another, politics comes into play, but I've never found it to be a problem.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 03:19:53 am »
+1

I mean, is a game still a good game if you never play it?

Tree. Forest. Noise.

As a young father, your answer should be affirmative.

I haven't played any of the three 18XX games I possess for more than a decade. Or Britannia. Or Age of Renaissance. And boy they are great games. My children aren't yet ready for that level of complexity or duration (while they do enjoy the occasional Power Grid, Ursuppe, or Through The Ages, so ... soon ...).
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Turambar

• Baron
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 04:10:15 am »

I like Small World especially because it's not so political.

I mean, it's not NOT political, but you're just trying to optimize points for the most part. So you'll almost always take areas with just 1 guy or them instead of one with 3 guys which happens to belong to the guy you loathe.

Sure, when deciding between 2 areas with 1 guy, one from you and one from another, politics comes into play, but I've never found it to be a problem.

Smallworld is the most political game in this list,whenever you decide which way to attack (especially after declining and starting over) is almost exclusively decided by who do I think is int eh best position to win. And this is very influenced by politics around the table.

On another note, I cannot understand (again) why not more people here like Agricola. Of the games on this list it is, together with Dominion and RftG, clearly the game with deepest strategy-elements. I cannot understand how people can rank Ticket to Ride, Smallworld or Settlers above it.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 04:27:24 am »

I think Settlers is FAR more political than SmallWorld.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2012, 04:59:11 am »

Smallworld is not at all political, I think. I don't play it that way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 20 queries.