Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 178634 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2014, 01:49:33 pm »

Did I miss something or did they cut Cold Hands?

Edit: They also cut Tysha/"She fucked Lancel, and Cattleblack and probably the Moon Boy too", which kinda sucks, as it leaves Tyrion and Jaime in good relations, instead of what was in the books.

A great change is the Brienne/Hound scene, it makes what happens later at the Quite Isle much more meaningful.

And I also hopped the with show Lady SH, but, oh well, we'll just have to hang those Frays at some other time, I guess.

Oh, and next season gets Wyman Manderly, right? That's gonna be sweeeeeet! The North remembers.

Looks like they definitely cut Coldhands. I can live with that, but I need me some Stoneheart.

Lady Stoneheart doesn't come in till end of book 4 though when she hangs Brienne, well there's like 1 epilogue in book 3 right with her right? Still it's essentially book 4 and introducing a new character at the end of a season is not great for a TV show. I doubt they can cut her.

She doesn't hang Brienne!

I hope they introduce Season 5 with the Lady Stoneheart Epilogue where they hang the Frey that goes to pay the ransom. That would be an awesome season opening.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »
+1

I was satisfied with everything, except I wanted some Lady Stoneheart.

i see this sort of sentiment all over the place and i simply don't understand it. personally i have zero interest in her and i'd have greatly preferred if her 'return' never happened. it cheapens the red wedding and doesn't add anything constructive to the story that could not have been handled by existing characters.

as it relates to the show, it just strikes me as another 'gotcha' moment for book readers to hold over tv viewers heads.

I agree. I was really disappointed that the Brienne plot line took up so many chapters, and that's how it ended. I would have been fine with all of that being cut out of the books honestly.

Ahem, ended?  Her plot line isn't over! Shit is going down with Lady Stoneheart.

I, for one, will be very disappointed if she is cut out.  I love the idea of a crazy undead lady brutally dishing out pure, unadulterated justice.

I know it's a fantasy series and all that, and there's tons of this stuff already with Melisandre and Beric and the White Walkers and whatnot, but every time there's something new introduced in this vein, I was a little frustrated. I remember reading it, and basically thinking to myself, "Oh, that's cool. Catelyn is still alive, because of magic." I know it's pretty ridiculous to think that when there's a decent amount of the red magic going around, but I wish there was less of it. It made Jon Snow's death less impactful, for example, because I'm fully expecting him to be brought back to life. It just makes a lot of the moments that should be really powerful (such as Jon dying, which is huge as he's one of the biggest characters in the season) less powerful, as I am fully expecting him to be brought back to life "because magic". There's no feeling of closure with any of the deaths anymore, because who knows what could happen -- which is one of the reasons I really dislike Lady Stoneheart and would be glad to not see the storyline.

I see this sentiment a lot, and I don't really agree with it.  "Is (s)he really dead?" is a running theme of the series, with or without magic.  Arya getting hit in the chaos of the red wedding, The Hound's fate, Brienne's fate, Bran Falling, Jojen and Meera not being around any more, Jon, etc., were all moments where you had to consider the character possibly dying at the end (or middle) of the appropriate chapter.  When I read the Red Wedding, I wasn't even convinced Robb Catelyn had died until chapters later. (Maybe I was in denial.)

People coming back to life, though.. it's not like revival in a video game.  Those that come back---Drogo, Catelyn, Gregor, Beric---are all not really themselves when they "come back."  Only Beric is remotely like his old self.  Drogo was braindead, Catelyn had no thoughts except murderous revenge, and Gregor is, well, probably without a head.  I don't really understand how this cheapens their death at all. 

I also didn't get the impression that Jon died.  So I don't think he'll be "brought back" in the same way as others.

At any rate, stuff coming back to life has been a theme from the very beginning; from the prologue, even. 

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2014, 06:13:08 pm »

I think they really really botched Tyrion, oh my god! How could they skip the conversation with Jaime!? His actions make no sense now!!

The Bran-scene made me cringe, but when you think about it, that's pretty much how it went in the books.. at first reading it made me cringe ttoo, but then I sort of pushed the feeling aside, telling myself "well, this is something mystical, I'm not supposed to get it".

The fight between Sandor and Brienne got super gore, wow. I found myself looking at the screen between my fingers at the end.

I'm not too upset about us not getting LSH (yet). I mean, if this was all we were getting from her in the books, I would prefer her never to have been included. Her, Coldhands and the shadow baby that killed Renly were my three most (and only) hated characters in the books (although I'm hoping Coldhands get a better explanation in future books). I'm definitely in the "could do with little less magic" - group.

Man, they wrapped up so many storylines so neatly though. I absolutely loved the Children-theme, just great writing.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2014, 06:34:22 pm »

One more thing, what's up with the guards at the Eyrie just letting The Hound walk with one of the last living Starks? Seems like a pretty gigantic plot hole.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2014, 06:52:14 pm »

One more thing, what's up with the guards at the Eyrie just letting The Hound walk with one of the last living Starks? Seems like a pretty gigantic plot hole.

Wow, hadn't even thought about that. Probably the only thing I'm actually upset about. I'm fine with all the other changes, really. I also like what WW's saying about LS, "deaths", and the like.

Also - more magic!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2014, 06:58:10 pm »

If the weirwood paste Bran was eating to awake his powers was actually made of Jojen, him dying this way could have been a major change, especially if they need Meera alive or killed some other way. Making Meera kill him was very effective though.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:41 pm »

If the weirwood paste Bran was eating to awake his powers was actually made of Jojen, him dying this way could have been a major change, especially if they need Meera alive or killed some other way. Making Meera kill him was very effective though.

I actually took his death as confirmation of Jojen paste - it'd be so very, very easily for him to just eat paste in the show that's portrayed as magic, and that's that. Sure it'd be a change, but I don't feel like it'd be a big change.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 16, 2014, 07:02:21 pm »

If Ygritte's cold-blooded killing was highlighted in the show, Mance sure was taken to different direction. Showing the humanitarian side of him like that instantly made him one of the most heroic characters in the entire show, which is interesting because I don't see Free Folk as particularly rewarding to root for.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 16, 2014, 07:03:25 pm »

I actually took his death as confirmation of Jojen paste - it'd be so very, very easily for him to just eat paste in the show that's portrayed as magic, and that's that. Sure it'd be a change, but I don't feel like it'd be a big change.

If true, definitely takes the already creepy storyline to a whole new level of darkness, no?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 16, 2014, 07:08:51 pm »

If true, definitely takes the already creepy storyline to a whole new level of darkness, no?

I'm a fan of fan theories that Bloodraven/Three-Eyed Crow is a bad guy, so yes, but I'd enjoy it.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 16, 2014, 07:31:16 pm »
+1

If Ygritte's cold-blooded killing was highlighted in the show, Mance sure was taken to different direction. Showing the humanitarian side of him like that instantly made him one of the most heroic characters in the entire show, which is interesting because I don't see Free Folk as particularly rewarding to root for.

Really? I find them among the MORE root-worthy factions. They have understandable and relatable goals: Get south of the Wall so that zombies don't kill them. And despite being barbarians they are sort of honorable and even trustworthy. And their leaders, Mance, Tormund, and Val, are all fairly awesome.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2014, 07:37:17 pm »

True, and while I love them, especially Tormund and Mance, there is no one else likable, and the goal they seek to attain (not dying) is not the most interesting compared to stuff like Dorne's quest for revenge or Varys running his schemes. To me, the main pull in the series is the politics and relations between people, and Free Folk's struggle to live doesn't have much of that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2014, 12:26:28 pm »

Also, something I noticed.  Charles Dance is just awesome.  In the last scene with Tyrion where he says, "You are my son," you can see a subtle twitching of the facial features, indicating a slight disgust at having to say it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2014, 12:27:22 pm »

I did as well. I wonder if that means Meera isn't paste, too.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2014, 12:32:35 pm »

Yeah, I had a problem with that.  On the other hand, the Eyrie is like closed off from everything and every one.  Lysa basically cut the Eyrie off from the world and refused to join in any conflicts.  They also might not consider Clegane an outlaw.  Certainly if word had gotten to Petyr, he'd snatch Arya up.  But it takes like all day just to travel up to the castle.  Clegane has an argument to leave, too.. she has no family in the Eyrie any longer, so it's his "duty" or whatever to take her elsewhere.

So, it's slightly plausible. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2014, 12:36:38 pm »

I'm a fan of fan theories that Bloodraven/Three-Eyed Crow is a bad guy, so yes, but I'd enjoy it.

Eh, everyone is a "bad guy" to someone else.. that's kind of the point.  I think of Bloodraven as a kind of third faction (or fourth, or fifth, or hundredth).  He certainly must have a reason for aiding Bran other than just being a nice dude. 

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 17, 2014, 01:54:36 pm »

Eh, everyone is a "bad guy" to someone else.. that's kind of the point.  I think of Bloodraven as a kind of third faction (or fourth, or fifth, or hundredth).  He certainly must have a reason for aiding Bran other than just being a nice dude.

Yes, I obviously get that. Even within the show, there are some people whose success would probably be a bad thing (Dany invading and bringing a wave of genocide and slaughter along with her (edge case: dragons might be needed to fight the Others)), etc. That's what I mean.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »

Us not having anything new on the series for 10 months is enormous levels of suckitude. Does anyone have any rough idea when WoW is scheduled to come out?

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »

Us not having anything new on the series for 10 months is enormous levels of suckitude. Does anyone have any rough idea when WoW is scheduled to come out?

2015 at the earliest. In all likelihood, Season 5 will come out before Book 6.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2014, 02:17:50 pm »

Not a day after 2029.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:46 pm »

2015 at the earliest. In all likelihood, Season 5 will come out before Book 6.

But they still have books 4 and 5 to cover. So not too many spoilers will be shown in the shows I don't think.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 17, 2014, 10:11:47 pm »

But they still have books 4 and 5 to cover. So not too many spoilers will be shown in the shows I don't think.

Not really.

Bran: Book 5
Sansa: Book 6
Dany: Book 5
Arya: Book 4/5
Tyrion: Book 5
Cersei/Jaime: Book 4
John: Book 5

(there could be some small errors here)

Really, only the King's Landing plotline will be at the start of Book 4.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:13 pm »

The Wall plotline is the one lagging behind significantly. There's some significant Jon/Sam/Stannis stuff at the end of Book 3 that we haven't seen yet. On the other hand, Sansa and Bran are both pretty much beyond what even Book 5 covers.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 17, 2014, 11:22:25 pm »

The Wall plotline is the one lagging behind significantly. There's some significant Jon/Sam/Stannis stuff at the end of Book 3 that we haven't seen yet. On the other hand, Sansa and Bran are both pretty much beyond what even Book 5 covers.

That's not quite true; Sansa and Bran are both about halfway through book 4/5. (That said, they each only have like three chapters in book 4/5, so that doesn't leave very much.)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:18 pm »

(edge case: dragons might be needed to fight the Others)

That's, uh, not an edge case
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.