Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 178548 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2014, 11:31:02 pm »

Grenn and Pip were pretty important after the battle, right? They didn't die in the books, as I recall.. they were the ones sent away to man the other castles, right?  Wonder if they're going to cut some of that out later.

And I think that arrival will happen in the finale.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2014, 11:44:26 pm »

Grenn and Pip were pretty important after the battle, right? They didn't die in the books, as I recall.. they were the ones sent away to man the other castles, right?  Wonder if they're going to cut some of that out later.

And I think that arrival will happen in the finale.

They didn't die, but I wouldn't say they were "pretty" important. It's fine, just not very meaningful, to kill them, I think.

I'm quite sure the arrival will happen, but I thought it would happen in this episode, and then Jon would become Lord Commander in episode 10. I think there's almost no way that the next episode manages both those things, given how much they have to do in King's Landing, with Arya, and hopefully with Brienne and Pod (Lady Stoneheart?).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2014, 12:22:34 am »

I actually felt they hit pretty hard.  Especially Pip.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2014, 04:57:21 pm »
+1

I hate that they chose to spend an entire episode of their limited time to this battle without even resolving it. Obviously not as bad as Craster's Keep, but still.

It was visually effective, and as someone who knows the characters from books, I did feel the deaths. Still, the least fun hour of the show for me this far.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 05:00:10 pm by Eevee »

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2014, 05:13:59 pm »

Really. I've heard complaints that this episode 9 wasn't "episode 9 enough" in terms of twists, but as far as epic battle sequences go, this was one of my favorites ever, hands down the best I've seen on a tv show. I like that most episodes keep you up to date on a bunch of character arcs but this felt like a fitting almost-culmination of a major arc of this season.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 15, 2014, 10:21:27 pm »
+1

Really disappointed the Tysha conversation didn't happen :(  I was waiting all season for it

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 15, 2014, 10:23:59 pm »
+1

I was satisfied with everything, except I wanted some Lady Stoneheart.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2014, 10:36:10 pm »

Yes!  That too!

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2014, 10:39:01 pm »

Did Tyrion kill his dear old dad for Father's Day?  (I have read the books, I have not followed the show but I know it is somewhere around that point)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2014, 10:39:23 pm »

Oh yeah and Hound/Brienne.  Good change I think.  I assumed the end result would be the same as the books, but I really didn't know.  First time I actually felt like I just did not know the outcome.. I kept thinking she might just kill him (and skip the Gravedigger subplot), or maybe he'd kill her and something crazy would happen.  Anyway, glad Arya is on her way to Bravvos and Hound has an opening for the future.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2014, 10:39:51 pm »

Did Tyrion kill his dear old dad for Father's Day?  (I have read the books, I have not followed the show but I know it is somewhere around that point)

Haha, good call.  Yep

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2014, 11:00:57 pm »

i see this sort of sentiment all over the place and i simply don't understand it. personally i have zero interest in her and i'd have greatly preferred if her 'return' never happened. it cheapens the red wedding and doesn't add anything constructive to the story that could not have been handled by existing characters.

as it relates to the show, it just strikes me as another 'gotcha' moment for book readers to hold over tv viewers heads.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2014, 11:23:51 pm »
+1

i see this sort of sentiment all over the place and i simply don't understand it. personally i have zero interest in her and i'd have greatly preferred if her 'return' never happened. it cheapens the red wedding and doesn't add anything constructive to the story that could not have been handled by existing characters.

as it relates to the show, it just strikes me as another 'gotcha' moment for book readers to hold over tv viewers heads.

But... I want to stand over non-readers' heads and shout "gotcha" when that sick reveal happens. And that's all I care about.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2014, 11:37:47 pm »

But... I want to stand over non-readers' heads and shout "gotcha" when that sick reveal happens. And that's all I care about.

well sure, to an extent most readers do (myself included) and i understand that. i just think that in this example there really isn't much value in the events beyond the 'gotcha'. personally it was one of the things i figured would get written out of the show for simplicity's sake.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2014, 11:43:07 pm »

I agree. I was really disappointed that the Brienne plot line took up so many chapters, and that's how it ended. I would have been fine with all of that being cut out of the books honestly.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »

I agree. I was really disappointed that the Brienne plot line took up so many chapters, and that's how it ended. I would have been fine with all of that being cut out of the books honestly.

Ahem, ended?  Her plot line isn't over! Shit is going down with Lady Stoneheart.

I, for one, will be very disappointed if she is cut out.  I love the idea of a crazy undead lady brutally dishing out pure, unadulterated justice.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2014, 11:48:07 pm »

Ahem, ended?  Her plot line isn't over! Shit is going down with Lady Stoneheart.

I, for one, will be very disappointed if she is cut out.  I love the idea of a crazy undead lady brutally dishing out pure, unadulterated justice.

I agree with WW. The good news: I highly doubt she'll get cut, given that her return is the big thing that most fans want at this point. I think they are just dragging it out to keep us hooked and fuming.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2014, 11:55:32 pm »

I agree with WW. The good news: I highly doubt she'll get cut, given that her return is the big thing that most fans want at this point. I think they are just dragging it out to keep us hooked and fuming.

I mean, we are left (at the end of A Dance With Dragons) with Brienne and Jaime going off to face Lady Stoneheart's justice (presumably).  The Imp survived her sisters justice, I am looking forward to Jaime surviving hers.  So I can't really see how they can cut her out.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2014, 12:20:49 am »
+1

I know it's a fantasy series and all that, and there's tons of this stuff already with Melisandre and Beric and the White Walkers and whatnot, but every time there's something new introduced in this vein, I was a little frustrated. I remember reading it, and basically thinking to myself, "Oh, that's cool. Catelyn is still alive, because of magic." I know it's pretty ridiculous to think that when there's a decent amount of the red magic going around, but I wish there was less of it. It made Jon Snow's death less impactful, for example, because I'm fully expecting him to be brought back to life. It just makes a lot of the moments that should be really powerful (such as Jon dying, which is huge as he's one of the biggest characters in the season) less powerful, as I am fully expecting him to be brought back to life "because magic". There's no feeling of closure with any of the deaths anymore, because who knows what could happen -- which is one of the reasons I really dislike Lady Stoneheart and would be glad to not see the storyline.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2014, 12:50:42 am »
+2

I know it's a fantasy series and all that, and there's tons of this stuff already with Melisandre and Beric and the White Walkers and whatnot, but every time there's something new introduced in this vein, I was a little frustrated. I remember reading it, and basically thinking to myself, "Oh, that's cool. Catelyn is still alive, because of magic." I know it's pretty ridiculous to think that when there's a decent amount of the red magic going around, but I wish there was less of it. It made Jon Snow's death less impactful, for example, because I'm fully expecting him to be brought back to life. It just makes a lot of the moments that should be really powerful (such as Jon dying, which is huge as he's one of the biggest characters in the season) less powerful, as I am fully expecting him to be brought back to life "because magic". There's no feeling of closure with any of the deaths anymore, because who knows what could happen -- which is one of the reasons I really dislike Lady Stoneheart and would be glad to not see the storyline.

I feel like it's possible GRRM using the lady stoneheart resurrection as a sort of take that to Tolkien. Gandalf dies and comes back 'changed' into a white wizard, but there's no real change. Gandalf's death has no real meaning since there was no real sacrifice. GRRM wanted to parallel that but put his own morbid twist on the changing that happens. Cat comes back, but not as the same Cat. LSH is a vengeful shadow. As it pertains to Jon, I feel like if he does come back (and it's super likely he will) the lesson with uncat seems to be he won't come back exactly the same. So the mystery isn't if he'll come back, but how he will and who he'll be.

EDIT: Also, are all these spoiler tags needed? The subject line says spoilers and as far as I can tell most everyone posting here has read the books. And if you haven't, well there's very little useful discussion that happens outside the spoiler tags anyway.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:53:04 am by jonts26 »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2014, 01:21:09 am »

I had the opposite reaction. It says it's a fantasy series, but there is so little magic in the beginning. And up until LSH, the magic just didn't seem to matter much. It plays a role in Stannis's victory over Renly, and has some relevance to Daeny, but I don't know, it wasn't like a gamechanger for anyone really important, until Catelyn Stark dies and is brought back to life. I sort of felt like it the punchline was, "Hey, you know this is a fantasy story, right?" And I liked that.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2014, 09:26:30 am »

Did I miss something or did they cut Cold Hands?

Edit: They also cut Tysha/"She fucked Lancel, and Cattleblack and probably the Moon Boy too", which kinda sucks, as it leaves Tyrion and Jaime in good relations, instead of what was in the books.

A great change is the Brienne/Hound scene, it makes what happens later at the Quite Isle much more meaningful.

And I also hopped the with show Lady SH, but, oh well, we'll just have to hang those Frays at some other time, I guess.

Oh, and next season gets Wyman Manderly, right? That's gonna be sweeeeeet! The North remembers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 10:09:19 am by Grujah »

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2014, 11:04:15 am »

Edit: They also cut Tysha/"She fucked Lancel, and Cattleblack and probably the Moon Boy too", which kinda sucks, as it leaves Tyrion and Jaime in good relations, instead of what was in the books.

A great change is the Brienne/Hound scene, it makes what happens later at the Quite Isle much more meaningful.

And I also hopped the with show Lady SH, but, oh well, we'll just have to hang those Frays at some other time, I guess.

Oh, and next season gets Wyman Manderly, right? That's gonna be sweeeeeet! The North remembers.

Looks like they definitely cut Coldhands. I can live with that, but I need me some Stoneheart.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2014, 11:47:22 am »

And if you haven't, well there's very little useful discussion that happens outside the spoiler tags anyway.

i haven't read the books, and i appreciate the spoilers, though for me it would be better if there were either 2 different kinds of spoilers or if only book knowledge (i.e. stuff that hasn't happened yet in the show) was put in spoilers. but you can't guarantee that everyone who looks in this thread is even up to date with the show.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2014, 01:43:43 pm »
+1

Looks like they definitely cut Coldhands. I can live with that, but I need me some Stoneheart.

Lady Stoneheart doesn't come in till end of book 4 though when she hangs Brienne, well there's like 1 epilogue in book 3 right with her right? Still it's essentially book 4 and introducing a new character at the end of a season is not great for a TV show. I doubt they can cut her.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.