Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 178654 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2014, 10:38:16 pm »

Weird, I guess I just glossed over the passage in the Storm of Swords where that conversation happened. I was sure it was Cersei, but apparently I was wrong.

Oh, I see.  It was Clash of Kings, not Storm of Swords.. page 412:

"Yes," he whimpered, "yes, Colemon was purging, so I sent him away.  The queen needed Lord Arryn dead, she did not say so, could not, Varys was listening, always listening, but when I looked at her I knew.  It was not me who gave him the poison, though, I swear it."  The old man wept.  "Varys will tell you, it was the boy, his squire, Hugh he was called, he must surely have done it, ask your sister, ask her."

Here Pycelle is admitting to letting Jon Arryn die instead of treating him for the poison.  (Read before that, Tyrion accuses him of not trying to save Jon Arryn's life.)  But he doesn't know who gave the poison.  He was assuming it was at the behest of Cercei.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »

Yup, that was my confusion. I don't have the passage, but apparently in Storm of Swords, Chapter 80 (Sansa's viewpoint), a similar conversation happened to the one in tonight's episode, where Lysa admitted poisoning Jon to LF.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:14 am »

Yup, that was my confusion. I don't have the passage, but apparently in Storm of Swords, Chapter 80 (Sansa's viewpoint), a similar conversation happened to the one in tonight's episode, where Lysa admitted poisoning Jon to LF.

That happened, but I think that was in Feast for Crows. You don't see Lysa till then.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2014, 09:12:21 am »

That happened, but I think that was in Feast for Crows. You don't see Lysa till then.

Seriously big spoiler: No, TA was right. Lysa dies at the end of Storm of Swords!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:40 am »

Seriously big spoiler: No, TA was right. Lysa dies at the end of Storm of Swords!

Speaking of which, why no singer?  Think he'll be introduced later, or will they use someone else?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2014, 11:13:28 am »

Oh yeah. I remember now.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28:27 am »

I was waiting for this to happen last night.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2014, 11:38:19 am »

I was waiting for this to happen last night.

I was afraid they were going to; it would have been too rushed.  It would have been funny, though.. Lysa is like "Let's get married right NOW".  And Petyr is like "sure, sure, honey.. *PUSH*". 

Side note, Lysa is annoying as hell, but the portrayal is really good.  I really like the portrayal of Littlefinger, too, though everyone seems to complain about him.  His face when she was confessing to everything was just great.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2014, 11:52:31 am »

This was definitely one of Littlefinger's best episodes to date.

Her going out the door is likely in Episode 7

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2014, 01:09:22 pm »
+1

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2014, 05:38:35 pm »
+1

http://imgur.com/a/GZYp6

Crossposting to the Hearthstone thread of course...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 19, 2014, 10:16:05 am »

What's up with waiting two weeks?  Fearing low ratings from a Holiday weekend or something?

Also, very sastisfying to see Lysa fly.  I really did want to hear the words, "Only Cat", though "Only your sister" is perhaps more insulting.  I don't get bothered too much by changes from the book. I think the show is doing an excellent job.  But there are a few lines from the series that stuck with me, so I would really like to hear them said in a visual and dramatic setting (e.g., "Only Cat," "Wherever whores go," Tyrion's line to Jamie about Lancel and Kettleback and Moonboy).  I also wonder if we're going to get to hear Brienne searching for a maid of ten and three. I'm not sure how much that story line is going to change.. looks like it's still going along the same path.  I think in the books she runs into Gendry instead of Hotpie, but I don't think Gendry tipped her off about Arya?  I don't have the books handy at the moment. But it's looking like The Hound's bite is taking the place of the (knife?) wound he got in the books, and Arya will leave him for dead in the next few episodes.  We may get to see Brienne go to the monk's place and see/hear about Gravedigger as well.

Also, Oberyn, so great.  I like that actor a lot.  The scene with Tyrion in the dungeon was one of the best in the series so far, I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 19, 2014, 10:24:43 am »

Oh yeah, and minor things:

Sansa's hair should be dyed, she should not be wearing Tully blue, and I guess they're going to claim Lysa just fell?  Or committed suicide?  Or will he still somehow construct someone to take the fall?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:06 pm »

The actor playing Oberyn is doing one hell of a job. That scene with Tyrion was one of the strongest in the entire series this far, just wow.

I too have a few smaller nitpicks, I didn't like the way the presented snow Winterfell (needed more screen time, and the scene didn't really feel natural or magical the way it did in the books) , why would they not include "Cat, only Cat"???, they really ought to be more protecting of Sansa's true identity, and The Mountain being recast twice isn't optimal (+the scene of him hacking random peasants to pieces was a bit stupid).. but, overall, I really enjoyed the episode, one of the strongest of the season.

Can't wait for "You are going to fight that?" Too bad it's a two week wait!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2014, 12:14:10 pm »

What's up with waiting two weeks?  Fearing low ratings from a Holiday weekend or something?

Also, very sastisfying to see Lysa fly.  I really did want to hear the words, "Only Cat", though "Only your sister" is perhaps more insulting.  I don't get bothered too much by changes from the book. I think the show is doing an excellent job.  But there are a few lines from the series that stuck with me, so I would really like to hear them said in a visual and dramatic setting (e.g., "Only Cat," "Wherever whores go," Tyrion's line to Jamie about Lancel and Kettleback and Moonboy).  I also wonder if we're going to get to hear Brienne searching for a maid of ten and three. I'm not sure how much that story line is going to change.. looks like it's still going along the same path.  I think in the books she runs into Gendry instead of Hotpie, but I don't think Gendry tipped her off about Arya?  I don't have the books handy at the moment. But it's looking like The Hound's bite is taking the place of the (knife?) wound he got in the books, and Arya will leave him for dead in the next few episodes.  We may get to see Brienne go to the monk's place and see/hear about Gravedigger as well.

Also, Oberyn, so great.  I like that actor a lot.  The scene with Tyrion in the dungeon was one of the best in the series so far, I think.
No, I don't think they discussed Arya. The Hot Pie - Brienne scene was an example of a nice invention by the showrunners, though. It'll be interesting to see how they portray Arya leaving The Hound to die given how they are deepening their friendship with seemingly random scenes every episode. Maisie Williams is an incredible actor, the Braavos stuff is going to be awesome.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:41 pm »

This was my favorite episode in several weeks, probably since the Purple Wedding. As strong as Peter Dinklage's acting was during the trial, I think he outdid himself this week! The scene with Bronn was touching, and the scene with Oberyn was one of the best in the series.

I also enjoyed all the Hound and Arya stuff.

Spoilers and speculation:
The producers have given Shireen much more to do than in the books, and I was really wondering whether this might signal that Shireen will ultimately sit the throne with Davos as her hand after Stannis like wins but dies in battle along with Melisandre, or something (knowing, as we do, that Martin has told the producers the ending). After last night, I'm worried they are giving Shireen more screen time so we can get to like her a lot before Melisandre and Selyse burn her alive. I really hope that doesn't happen!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • A wild Eevee appears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 19, 2014, 02:56:05 pm »

I really really got the vibe Melissandre intends to use Shireen's king's blood somehow. The scene felt really ominous, and also long and otherwise meaningless enough to strongly hint that.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 19, 2014, 02:57:32 pm »

Yeah, Oberyn/Tyrion was great, and I really liked that dialog in the books too. I also don't like that there is no "Only Cat" nor Marillion (and his singing..).

But next episode, that one is going to take the cake, as it features one of the awesomer scene is the books, namely:
EEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:59:17 pm by Grujah »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 19, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »

I think I should pick up the series again, I am getting curious about this Oberyn-Tyrion scene everyone is raving about so much.

After last night, I'm worried they are giving Shireen more screen time so we can get to like her a lot before Melisandre and Selyse burn her alive. I really hope that doesn't happen!

I really hope this is a bad case of epileptic trees. Do we have any prior indication of Selyse caring that little for her child? She doesn't seem like the motherly kind, but maaaaaaaan, that's cold.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 19, 2014, 03:01:15 pm »

I really really got the vibe Melissandre intends to use Shireen's king's blood somehow. The scene felt really ominous, and also long and otherwise meaningless enough to strongly hint that.

Recall also that in A Dance with Dragons, Shireen was highlighted a lot in Melisandre's PoV thoughts.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 19, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »

I think I should pick up the series again, I am getting curious about this Oberyn-Tyrion scene everyone is raving about so much.

After last night, I'm worried they are giving Shireen more screen time so we can get to like her a lot before Melisandre and Selyse burn her alive. I really hope that doesn't happen!

I really hope this is a bad case of epileptic trees. Do we have any prior indication of Selyse caring that little for her child? She doesn't seem like the motherly kind, but maaaaaaaan, that's cold.

I mean, she definitely wouldn't do it lightly, but she DID let Melisandre burn her brother. I'm positive Stannis wouldn't allow it under any circumstance, but he might not find out until it's too late.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 19, 2014, 04:04:01 pm »

Her brother had been found guilty of treason and hence sullied (even more than it already was) the name of their family! Sure, burning him alive is barbaric retribution, but she's a zealot. Shireen's only crime is to have survived greyscale!

I don't really see Melisandre burning her, not in a way that makes her seem responsible though, there's no way Stannis would let her stay after pulling out something like this behind his back.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2014, 08:04:31 pm »

Finally caught up in this series--started a few months ago--after having read the books that are out about two years ago.

I would say that the thing I like the most about the series is the quality in the secondary characters. Obviously the leads are going to be pretty good--some glaring exceptions here--but it is really those secondary characters that make this show amazing. Maester Luwin, Littlefinger, Varys!, The Hound, Meera Reed (not Jojen), all of the Tyrells (especially Margaery!), Ramsey Snow!, Prince Oberyn--finally we got to see some Dornish, can't wait to finally see Dorne--and on and on. A lot of that has to do with the in depth writing on these secondary and even tertiary characters, but the actors are superb as well.

Also going back to the very first episode, was I the only one that was completely hooked by the opening credit sequence? I know some people criticize it, but I thought it was a perfect way to introduce the geography and general tone for the story.

I either haven't noticed--its been a while since reading--or haven't minded the deviations from the book.

Anyways, thought I would jump into the thread so I can see what others think...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2014, 08:13:46 pm »

I either haven't noticed--its been a while since reading--or haven't minded the deviations from the book.

The changes are mostly to make it fit TV format better. Fewer minor characters, a couple changes. Nothing too major. GRRM is part of writing the show, so I think he makes sure it's all pretty close to the books.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2014, 08:16:44 pm »

The changes are mostly to make it fit TV format better. Fewer minor characters, a couple changes. Nothing too major. GRRM is part of writing the show, so I think he makes sure it's all pretty close to the books.

Yes and no, though mostly no. He writes one episode a season, and gave them a rough sketch of the ending, and occasionally gives them creative "hints" (ie don't kill off that secondary character who is still alive in the books! They turn out to be pretty important in the future!), but they ignore/change/alter as they see fit. They've killed a character we think is minor he's hinted may matter.

As far as big changes, that's all D&D (the screenwriters) adapting for TV/what they think are the important elements.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.