Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30  All

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]  (Read 178567 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« on: November 06, 2012, 07:25:33 pm »

Be warned that this topic will contain spoilers for the entire series, that is, through the end of A Dance with Dragons.

Please enclose very sensitive posts in spoiler tags.

I'll start things off -- what are some of your favorite/believed fan theories?  R+L=J heads the list for me, including the fact that Lyanna was the laughing knight.  I also buy the Littlefinger theory that he's been doing it all along for Cat, and now Sansa, which makes him rather like Severus Snape in a sense.

I didn't like ADWD as much as the other books, but it did have a couple additions to the pantheon of great ASOIAF moments like when Jon Snow executed Janos Slynt.  Still nothing matches up to "Only Cat." for me, though.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire [spoilers version]
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:36 pm »

Nothing beats the execution of Janos Slynt. So awesome.

I for one buy the L + R = J theory.

Who the hell is the person killing people in Winterfell, right before Theon escapes with Jeyne?

And is Brienne luring Jaime to Catelyn/Stonehart's trap? It doesn't seem like Brienne would do that... but it seems impossible that the Hound is both alive and wanting to kill Sansa.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 08:18:30 pm »

Also, Jon Snow dead? Alive as his wolf? About to be resurrected/rescued by fire magic, thanks to Lady Melisandre?

I support King Stannis's claim to the Iron Throne.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 08:22:18 pm »
+1

As for Jon: I assume he is dead/warged into his wolf but will be resurrected by Melisandre, thus freeing him of his vow to the Night's Watch.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 08:25:56 pm »
+1

« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:40:57 am by () | (_) ^/ »

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:20:11 pm »

do we really need the spoiler tags in here? i feel like the title is warning enough for people to stay away.

anyway:
- i think i buy r+l=j. and i think lyanna as the laughing night is even more probable than r+l=j.
- as for jon, id have to guess he's still gonna be around, though part of me wants grrm to actually kill em off just to keep us on our toes. if he comes back though, id assume some warging or melisandre will be involved. or maybe there already was some melisandre action? maybe she did the ol mance/rattleshirt switch on jon too before jon was stabbed? i seem to remember a few things that seemed off in the last jon chapter.
- as for who is killing people, my favorite theory is theon durden
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 10:29:51 pm »

do we really need the spoiler tags in here? i feel like the title is warning enough for people to stay away.
Recent posts / RSS feeds :/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 12:10:20 am »
+3

My first thought when reading Jon Snow stabby stabby was "Et tu, Bowen Marsh?"
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:11:17 am »

Read the ASOIAF series after watching season one of the HBO show.  I can't get enough George RR Martin and actually just earlier today I read "A Song for Lya." Wow that was good.  It's a quick sci-fi novella written in the mid 70s that won the Hugo award and was George's biggest accomplishment at the time.  This guy can write.   

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 06:08:46 pm »
+1

I'll start things off -- what are some of your favorite/believed fan theories?

Everyone dies before the end of the last book.  I mean everyone.  The last fifty pages of the last book are beautiful Tolkien-esque descriptions of scenery.

/hated the first book, haven't picked it up since.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »
+2

I'll start things off -- what are some of your favorite/believed fan theories?

Everyone dies before the end of the last book.  I mean everyone.  The last fifty pages of the last book are beautiful TolkienGMMR-esque descriptions of sceneryfood.

FTFY

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 06:45:53 pm »

Read the ASOIAF series after watching season one of the HBO show.  I can't get enough George RR Martin and actually just earlier today I read "A Song for Lya." Wow that was good.  It's a quick sci-fi novella written in the mid 70s that won the Hugo award and was George's biggest accomplishment at the time.  This guy can write.   

Season One of the HBO show was freaking amazing.  The first time that I ever actually thought that a TV/film adaptation of a book might be superior to the book itself.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:02:41 pm »

Season One of the HBO show was freaking amazing.  The first time that I ever actually thought that a TV/film adaptation of a book might be superior to the book itself.

season one was quite good. i held off watching until i had read the series but i was still impressed by it. i started streaming season 2 right after and was a bit disappointed. i never even bothered finishing watching the season.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 10:07:34 pm »

Really? I thought season 2 improved on season 1. Although I did miss Mark Addy's Robert Baratheon, which was in my view an excellent, entertaining, and under-appreciated performance.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:50 pm »

yeah it wasn't bad per se, i just lost interest in it fast. i think it started straying away from the books more than it ever did in season 1. for me, the highlight of book 2 was the intrigue surrounding tyrion, and i just don't think that translated well into the show.

and as you hinted at, the increase and decrease in screen time for certain favorite characters didn't help.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 11:34:18 pm »

It definitely strayed more, but I didn't find the straying bad. The streamlining at Harrenhal worked relatively well, I thought. Did you get to the scenes between Arya and Tywin Lannister? They don't happen in the book, since Tywin never comes to Harrenhal, but they are quite good in the show.

I also liked the changes at Winterfell--Theon killing Rodrik, for instance--though the castle getting destroyed at the end was extremely confusing (deliberately so, I think) if you hadn't read the book. To that end, I didn't mind reserving Ramsay Bolton for a future season, even though the way it happens in the book is a fairly cool reveal. Roose Bolton was doing different thinks in the second season as well, but Roose never seemed like he would develop into an important villain in the first two books, so it seemed sort of appropriate to have him on screen, just kind of being there without being important. And I didn't mind the changes to Robb's marriage.

To me the boring stuff was Daeneryis and Jon, but I found their book 2 plots boring anyway.

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 12:46:33 am »

Read the ASOIAF series after watching season one of the HBO show.  I can't get enough George RR Martin and actually just earlier today I read "A Song for Lya." PWow that was good.  It's a quick sci-fi novella written in the mid 70s that won the Hugo award and was George's biggest accomplishment at the time.  This guy can write.   

love the spin on margery tyrell and the actress playing her.. loved her from the tudors on showtime :)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 05:44:56 am »
+1

but it seems impossible that the Hound is both alive and wanting to kill Sansa.[/spoiler]

Hound is pretty much alive, one of the theories that make the most sense, actually. Not hunting Sansa, though.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
+1

season one was quite good. i held off watching until i had read the series but i was still impressed by it. i started streaming season 2 right after and was a bit disappointed. i never even bothered finishing watching the season.

Season 2 featured Maisie William's incredible performance as Arya, and I, for one, am staggered that the Emmys failed to recognize this fact with a nomination.  Harrumph.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 06:11:18 am »

uhh, can someone explain this to me?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 03:40:05 pm »
+1

Explain what?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:54 pm »
+1

Explain what?
the entire thread. I don't get it....

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »

a song of ice and fire is a series of fantasy novels written by george r.r. martin. it is what the hbo series 'game of thrones' is based off of. the series isn't finished yet, so this thread has a bunch of discussion on the events so far and how they might shape the things which will happen in the next book.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 06:17:20 pm »

a song of ice and fire is a series of fantasy novels written by george r.r. martin. it is what the hbo series 'game of thrones' is based off of. the series isn't finished yet, so this thread has a bunch of discussion on the events so far and how they might shape the things which will happen in the next book.
ahh...

Mad, I tell you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 03:50:03 pm »

This seems relevant now!

I just recently finished reading through the books for the second time. It's really quite illuminating, it's always hard to remember exactly this character was or what was the relevance of that location when you are just being introduced to them for the first time. Also, the amount of foreshadowing and connections you miss during the first read is just astonishing.

I'm obviously pumped for season three of the show adaptation as well. The Viper is such a cool character, so much cool stuff happening this season!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 22 queries.