Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Idea for fan expansion - Dominion: War  (Read 9621 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Idea for fan expansion - Dominion: War
« on: November 06, 2012, 01:05:36 pm »
+1

From the Secret History, we know that Dark Ages was originally called War, but the German publishers wouldn't have any truck with that.  It got me thinking as to what an expansion called "War" would entail.  It couldn't just be random cards - expansions need a theme.  So the theme here is that there's a new card pile called Conquests.

Conquest - Victory-Treasure - $0*
$1, 2VP
(This is not in the Supply.)

In order to get Conquests, you have to play Army cards, which are a new type sort of in the vein of Looters.  The Conquest pile would probably have about 20 cards in it, and there would be a new end-game condition - the game can end when all the Conquests have been gained.  Here are the card ideas I have so far:

Advisors - Action - $5
+1 Action, +$1
Look at the top three cards of your deck.  Put one in your hand, discard one, and put one back on top of your deck.

Archers - Action-Attack-Army - $6
+3 Cards
Each other player discards down to three cards in hand.
Gain a Conquest.

Secret Agent - Action - $4
The player to your left reveals cards from his deck until revealing an Action that is not a Secret Agent.  Play this as the revealed card - this is that card until it leaves play.  If no Action was revealed, +$2.

General - Action - $6
+1 Action
You may play an Army or Attack card from your hand.
After playing that Army or Attack (or choosing not to), if this is the first time you've played a General this turn, while this is in play, whenever you play an Action, +1 Card.

Field Medics - Action-Army - $4
Gain a Conquest.  Each other player gains a Silver.

Supply Train - Action - $2
+1 Card, +1 Action
If you've played 2 or more Supply trains this turn (including this), +$1.
You may play a Supply Train.

Heretics - Action-Attack-Army - $5
Gain a Conquest.  Each other player gains a Curse.

Refugees - Action-Army - $4
Trash two cards.  If you do, gain a Conquest, putting it in your hand.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 01:39:44 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for fan expansion - Dominion: War
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:36:17 pm »

Nice cards, the idea of Conquests is sweet, difficult to say about balancing, but there will be much games you want to ignore them, I think
But when the Pile is about 20 cards cards and the games is over when it's empty, you probably just want to spam conquest-gainers...(especially Field Medic, Heretics and Refugees)
I think Advisors is too cheap. It's basically a peddler with choosing the card draw out of three and additional cycling.
And I don't like Supply Train

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 03:56:37 pm »

I think Army cards is a little to specific to work with General. The other ability seems a little broken as well.
Advisor would be a very strong $5.
At best supply chain is a village, so it should cost $2.
Compare Archers to Goons with more ability to play more than 1, but less reward.
Field Medics seems weak compared to the others, and the name doesn't seem to work. It might be a good spot to add a reaction.
If any of your Conquest-gainers need a +$1 boost (such as Refugees), you can have the gained Conquest go to your hand.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »
+1

I think Army cards is a little to specific to work with General. The other ability seems a little broken as well.
Advisor would be a very strong $5.
At best supply chain is a village, so it should cost $2.
Compare Archers to Goons with more ability to play more than 1, but less reward.
Field Medics seems weak compared to the others, and the name doesn't seem to work. It might be a good spot to add a reaction.
If any of your Conquest-gainers need a +$1 boost (such as Refugees), you can have the gained Conquest go to your hand.

I wanted a card that gave a Conquest to everyone - that's what Field Medic was for.

Refugees gaining the Conquest to hand would almost be strictly better than Trading Post at $5.

Nice cards, the idea of Conquests is sweet, difficult to say about balancing, but there will be much games you want to ignore them, I think
But when the Pile is about 20 cards cards and the games is over when it's empty, you probably just want to spam conquest-gainers...(especially Field Medic, Heretics and Refugees)
I think Advisors is too cheap. It's basically a peddler with choosing the card draw out of three and additional cycling.
And I don't like Supply Train

Thanks!

Why don't you like Supply Train?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »
+1

Would General be better if it were "Play an Army or Attack card"?

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »

I like the idea, but I think that Conquests lend themselves to rushing that pile. Because they are fairly weak once in your deck, I would just leave that end condition out.
 The reason Supply train is bad is that at its very best it is a Village. It is a cantrip that allows you to play a copy of itself without using an action, or "+2 actions if one of them is a supply train". I would never buy it.
 As has been pointed out, Advisor is OP, so you should maybe put a buy condition on it or something. I like the card a lot, though.
  General is a cool idea, but it is also way OP. I would cut out the army card part entirely and maybe add a clause like "If you have 4 or more action cards in play at the end of your turn, trash this card."
  IMO, Secret Agent is too swingy. Its power varies drastically based on who is sitting to your left. Also, that person gets incredible deck cycling. It maybe could be improved by affecting all players and then choosing or something. I don't know.

I really do like the idea behind this set, I just think it needs some refinement. Awesome job!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »
+1

How could you rush Conquests?  You can't buy them - you have to use Army cards to gain them.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:12:56 am »

How could you rush Conquests?  You can't buy them - you have to use Army cards to gain them.

By building an engine that repeatedly plays Field Medics.

ShinKyo

• Steward
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:22:05 am »

Overall a good new idea, I think.
But the Advisor is too strong.
Advisors - Action - $4
+1 Action, +$1
Look at the top three cards of your deck.  Put one in your hand, discard one, and put one back on top of your deck.
There is a similar card in another forum which is already been playtested a lot. A wonderful card.
Code: [Select]
Huntsman - Action - $4
+1 Action
Look at the top three cards of your deck.  Put one in your hand, discard the rest.
First it seems not so strong cause it's 'only' a CanTrip at the end, but the filter und cycle effect is enormously useful!
To balance it, you could only choose one card which currently may be the best. But you have to discard the other cards which maybe are also good and important. If you get +$1 on top you could collect a lot of money too easy. I have tested it.
Maybe this version could also work:
Advisor - Action - $4
+1 Action
Look at the top three cards of your deck.  Put one in your hand, put the other cards on top of your deck or discard them.
or your Advisor without the coin:
Advisor - Action - $4
+1 Action
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:24:47 am by ShinKyo »

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 08:59:03 am »

I think the best way to price/design Advisors is by comparing it to Lookout.

Lookout - Action - $3

+1 Action
Look at the top three cards of your deck. Trash one, discard one, and put one back on top of your deck.

Now, drawing a card is probably worth $1 more than trashing a card. So I think it's probably balanced without the $1. If you're going to add the $1 I'd probably price it at $5.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 09:59:28 am »
+1

I think I'd prefer to bump Advisors up to $5, and keep it as is.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 10:00:46 am »
+1

I also bumped Supply Train down to $2.

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 11:00:58 am »

Why don't you like Supply Train?

Well, i just think you don't need such a card. When would you buy it? (except of Gardens/Vineyards or Scrying Pool thingies)
You'll need many of them just that it sometimes becomes a village. Its like +1.5 Actions, because you need 2 of them to turn them into a village ( of course if you have 3 it's more...)
But thats just my opinion

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 11:47:10 am »

Supply Train may work better if it already was a village before the chaining:
Supply Train 2 - Action - $4
+1 Card, +2 Action

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 12:30:44 pm »
+1

Potentially:

Supply Train - Action - $4
+1 Card, +1 Action
+$1 per Supply Train in play (excluding this).

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 01:23:53 pm »

Great work overall, I think there is a lot of tuning to do, but there always is.

I like the idea behind the first part of general, I had that in mind for a while, but it seems incredibly overpowerful. Any so-so engine is now and incredible machine with just one or two of this.

Think about HP + General, drawing your whole deck without trashing in turn 7 or so?

I think at the very least the first hability should only work with the first general or something, otherwise spamming Generals is REALLY strong, drawing your whole deck almost instantly and reliably with very little support (any cheap +action is a lab, if on top of that they give you money...). Probably stronger than spamming GMs or even activated Cities.

One suggestions:

Viceroy   - $3
+1 Action +1 Card
Reveal and discard any number of Conquest cards from your hand. +$1 and gain a Conquest for each revealed card.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 01:40:11 pm »
+1

I did some more edits.

Viceroy seems vastly overpowered.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »
+1

A couple more:

Ballista - Action-Attack-Army - $5
+1 Action
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand may reveal a card from their hand costing from $3 to $6 and trash it.  If they do not, regardless of their hand size, each other player reveals the top three cards of their deck, trashes one costing from $3 to $6 that they choose, and discards the rest.
Gain a Conquest.

Crusaders - Action-Army - $4
You may return a Conquest to the Conquest pile.  If you do, +$5.  If you do not, gain a Conquest.
---
In games using this, also include Infidels as a Kingdom pile.

Infidels - Action-Attack - $4
+$2
Trash a Conquest from the Conquest pile.  Each other player may reveal a Crusaders.  If they do not, they reveal the top three cards of their deck, and trash one of them that you choose.
---
In games using this, also include Crusaders as a Kingdom pile.

FAQ: Games using Crusaders and Infidels still only have 10 Kingdom card piles.  If using the randomizer deck to determine which cards to put in your kingdom, and the 10th reveal card is either Crusaders or Infidels, either reveal a different card, or choose one of the already revealed cards to get rid of.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:00:30 pm by werothegreat »

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:38 am »

Infidels can trash Colonies and Provinces off of decks. That is way too swingy.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:55 am »

Agreed. I would go with the "costing from $3 to $6" that Dark Ages established.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:58:15 am »
+1

My thought process was that Saboteur does that anyway, and it also comes with a built-in Moat, and not just a crap card like the Bane can sometimes be, but a useful one.

Also, I wanted Infidels to be able to trash Conquests.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:28 am »

My thought process was that Saboteur does that anyway, and it also comes with a built-in Moat, and not just a crap card like the Bane can sometimes be, but a useful one.

1) Saboteur doesn't trash a Province; it turns a Province into a Duchy(/Gold or whatever).
2) Saboteur doesn't let you choose what card of your opponent's to trash, it tells you.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 11:25:39 am »

Infidels is also too strong because it gives money. How about: Each other player reveals the top 3 (maybe 4) cards of his deck, trashes a Treasure card costing $2 or more that you choose, and discards the rest.

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 08:16:53 am »

Field medics seems to strong

LittleFish

• Tactician
  • Respect: +188
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 04:28:40 pm »

WOn't the conquest pile run out too soon to be an end game condition. Also, would the numbers change if there is only 2P
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.