Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A cool thing happened to me...  (Read 1835 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
A cool thing happened to me...
« on: November 06, 2012, 12:50:05 am »

I found a $20 gift card to Target that I hadn't used!! ;D (Well actually I used 40 cents of it once, not sure why... ???)

Back on topic, I have this awesome gift card and any time I get any sort of gift card or monetary gift the first place I want to put it is towards games. I wasn't expecting much out of Target but their online selection of games is actually decent. So I'm trying to decide between a few...

The Resistance. I've followed all the forum games and this looks pretty fun and pretty solid, especially IRL. I think it could get a lot of plays and could interest some of my friends who are much much more casual gamers.

Bang! I didn't know about this game until I saw it mentioned in the "other board games as good as Dominion" thread, so when I saw it here I was intrigued. I've researched it a bit but I'd love to know how people think it stacks up against Resistance as a group game.

Seaside. I own Dominion, Intrigue, Prosperity, and Dark Ages, but aside from Guilds we all want to pick up Seaside next. I'd have to pay about $8 out of pocket but it's still a screaming good deal for an expansion. Problem is we don't play as often as we used to, Dark Ages is still pretty new to us, and each expansion makes the game a bit more of a hassle to set up and take down. But I think it'd be worth it because we all looove durations.

I guess the wildcard would be Dixit: Family because Dixit has interested me for a while, but this doesn't appear to be a normal edition. Dixit: Family didn't have an entry on BGG so I'm not sure if it's a weird family-friendly version (seems like the original game is already good for families) or if it includes the whole "family" of games with all the expansions.

What do you guys think?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
Re: A cool thing happened to me...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:04 am »

If you want a party game for a bunch of people resistance is good for the mafia fan you are. Otherwise get dominion
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 01:00:03 am »
+1

If you want a party game for a bunch of people resistance is good for the mafia fan you are. Otherwise get dominion

Mafia fan? What gives you that idea? ::)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 01:45:27 am »

I own Bang!

It's really fun! A much lighter version of Mafia with more luck and revenge. You do need a big group for maximum awesomeness. At least 5.

Never played Dixit or Resistance, but from what I've heard from here, they're good.

Also own Seaside. Probably my favorite set besides DA. (I mean, c'mon, Rats > Lighthouse) Wont really review this. There are tons all over the forum, and you've probably already played with it on Iso.

If you have a Mafia loving group, and they are hardcore gamers, get Resistance. Casual gamers, Bang!

If you feel like you are going to continue to play Dominion frequently IRL, get Seaside.

If your buddies are just party game lovers, get Dixit or even Fluxx. Any party game that's not Apples to Apples.

I like Bang! the most out of all these, but you have to have the right group for it to be fully enjoyable.

Hope I helped!
)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 01:50:56 am »

Oh yeah I know allll about seaside. Played with it a ton on iso. I guess I just want to know if these games are gonna be great enough to beat out seaside, which I KNOW will be awesome.

I actually have fluxx! ...and Apples to Apples. XD

But Dixit really seems like a more expressive version of AtoA, which I like.

I feel like my group for games like Resistance or Bang! might be a mix. My Dominion friends obviously are cool with a bit more hardcore of a game but I think that we might have some more casual gamers in the mix with games like those.

Thanks! :D

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 07:26:43 am »

I like The Resistane. I think it plays good the more people you are. I've played it with 6 people and I think it's a bit flawed then, but still a fun game.

I've never played Bang! But I've heard it's supposed to be fun.

Seaside is Seaside. Dominion is always fun.

Dixit is really nice. Especially if you've got family to play it with. The best thing is that it can be played with pretty much anyone. The rules are super simple and you only need to be able to look at pictures. No reading or language skills required.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 07:31:27 am »

Dixit is a big hit with my family and they're all pretty much non-gamers.
I mean, they know Rummikub, Monopoly and other basic games, but Settlers is about the most complex I've played with them.

We also know Pictionary so when I explained: It's like reverse Pictionary, they all got it.

Depends on the group though.

If you have a group of regulars with an odd person that doesn't know the others very well, he may not like Dixit and feel left out, because he doesn't get any of the inside jokes.

For The Resistance it doesn't matter that much how well you know the other person although it helps in determining whether someone is lying.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.