Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: why i hate black market  (Read 2096 times)

aestrivex

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
    • socionics workshop
why i hate black market
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:54:07 pm »

this is the most miserable and ridiculous game i've ever played, and its black market's fault.  i HATE that card... so ridiculous.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20110824-194812-a8615864.html

here's the spread; it has black market in it which i usually make a point to avoid but i wasnt paying attention to it.  our game was completely defined by the use of black market; there wasnt really much in the spread other than black market, non-colony game, pretty much your boiler plate "alchemists, pick up a few kings courts and a woodcutter and draw your whole deck a few times and gg."  i chose to add black market to that, to try to accelerate my process of getting to kings court.

there was one important combo i had not taken note of in this black market strategy; kings court  saboteur.  the game was characterized by me getting extremely lucky and picking up cards like bank, tactician, sea hag, and expand from the black market -- and pretty much before i could use any of them, they ended up in the trash.  because of my opponent's insane luck in this regard, my deck floundered all the while he was decimating it with more kings court + saboteur.

Superdad

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: why i hate black market
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:06:30 pm »

Seems to me the problem was completely independent of Black Market.

Saboteur is usually a sub-par card, but it is nasty when Kings Courted.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:13:56 pm »

Yeah, I don't see how this was Black Market's fault.  Saboteur did the damage.  If Black Market hadn't been there, KC-Saboteur still would have ripped up whatever you'd accumulated instead.

Arguably, Black Market might have sheltered you a little from Saboteur -- or at least had the potential to do so, if not.  By effectively providing you with an extra buy, it allowed you the chance to accumulate "good" cards at a faster rate than usual, which in turn would mean Saboteur could do less damage to your deck -- in percentage terms -- than otherwise.

Regardless of whether that argument is sound or not, Saboteur is at fault here.  Games like this are why it's my own personal least favorite card.

tko

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »

Since you got it from the Black Market deck, it probably looked quite attractive, but Philosopher's Stone doesn't shine very bright when you draw multiple cards with Alchemist and Hunting Party.  I prefer to get Philosopher's Stone in games where I don't draw much (for example, Ghost Ship with no +actions, and I can at best draw 2 cards).  That 1 purchase didn't lose you the game... just one piece of advice.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:29:28 pm »

The thing about Hunting party decks is that it is actually better to limit the number of unique cards; in this way you can have a pretty stable engine that performs about the same on almost every turn.  I see no reason at all to add BM to this mix.  Nor Alchemist tbh.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:15 pm »

Looking at the game log, on turn 11 you had both a bank and a tactician saboteured but gained nothing to replace them. It is almost always in your best interest in a sab heavy game to take lesser cards which still cost 3+ to reduce the likelihood of future cards getting hit.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:59 pm »

There wasnt really much in the spread other than black market, non-colony game, pretty much your boiler plate "alchemists, pick up a few kings courts and a woodcutter and draw your whole deck a few times and gg." 

because of my opponent's insane luck in this regard, my deck floundered all the while he was decimating it with more kings court + saboteur.

In my opinion, this was a deck with big drawing and two cards that perform well if you draw them repeatedly: saboteur and possession. There was also the king's court that allowed even more drawing or multiple uses of these strong cards. That was where the game was at. The saboteur is often a weak card but it can be good at removing unique black market cards from an opponent, even without a king's court. In that respect you played into the saboteur's strength. Let's give your opponent credit for looking at that kingdom, seeing a few more possibilities, and actually playing a very good game of Dominion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.