Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The NavBox  (Read 5591 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
The NavBox
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:07:19 am »

The NavBox is kind of large, and it's on every card page. I know people put work into making it, and I don't want to be dismissive of that, but how would people feel about any of these ideas:

A) Making the NavBox collapsable (by default or not), either entirely or in individual sections (for example, the NavBox shouing just the set names, and clicking on a set's name area opening the navbox for that set

2) Having a navbox on each card's page just for cards in that expansion

iii) Something else

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: The NavBox
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:16:15 am »

I really like the full navbox. But, I agree that it is quite large. I think the best option would be to have the entire thing be collapsible, and have it collapsed by default. I'm not a big fan of having expansion navboxes or collapsing by expansion within the full navbox (which probably wouldn't save space).

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 12:15:23 pm »

Is it possible to have layered collapsible navboxes, with the only one open by default the navbox for that card's expansion?

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:18:37 pm »
+2

I add it to my Todo, but I think it has lower priority. It's not that bad as it is.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »
+1

I agree -- doesn't seem like a huge problem for now.

TwiNight

• Spy
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:51:49 am »
+3

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:57:17 am »
+2

Thanks for the heads-up. Fixed it, you didn't even need admin permissions. I collapsed it per default. Everyone ok with that?

TwiNight

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:59:21 am »

You can't edit Common.js and Common.css unless you have admin permissions

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:02 am »
+1

You can't edit Common.js and Common.css unless you have admin permissions

I know, but there was no need to edit those.

TwiNight

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 10:52:43 pm »

Oh you used the mw-collapsible solution

TwiNight

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 04:59:12 pm »
+1

Enhanced the navbox with navbar, customizable styles, and documentation

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:19 pm »

Anyone know why 126 pages link to "Navbox Cards" and "Talk:Navbox Cards"? I assume these should be linking to the same things with "Template:" in front of them.

TwiNight

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:46:40 pm »

Anyone know why 126 pages link to "Navbox Cards" and "Talk:Navbox Cards"? I assume these should be linking to the same things with "Template:" in front of them.

When you use the "What links here" tool, the list includes tranclusions (Using the template with {{Navbox Cards}})

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »

When you use the "What links here" tool, the list includes tranclusions (Using the template with {{Navbox Cards}})

Right, I got that. I was asking why they were linking to the page "Navbox Cards", etc., when they should be linking to "Template:Navbox Cards". But, it appears to be fixed, so no worries!

TwiNight

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 08:22:59 pm »

Right, I got that. I was asking why they were linking to the page "Navbox Cards", etc., when they should be linking to "Template:Navbox Cards". But, it appears to be fixed, so no worries!

Oh! That was a mistake when I edited that navbox. Used {{PAGENAME}} instead of {{FULLPAGENAME}}

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 06:12:14 pm »
+2

I've done some work on the NavBox, but didn't want to actually submit it without getting some feedback. Here's a screenshot:

In this version, every card is listed (except for the trash pile card). I like the idea of a user being able to see the image for any Dominion card by using the NavBox.

Things I did differently:
- For 'basic cards' I think it should be fine to just list the Curses and basic Treasures and Victory cards that come with Dominion and Intrigue. They are, after all, the only cards that are part of every game, so everyone can agree that they are basic. Potion, Platinum, etc are listed with their respective expansions.
- Prizes, Madman, and Mercenary are all separate from the Kingdom card that actually gets them. If they are listed with the cards that acquire them, then Spoils would be the odd one out by being listed with the price, or it would be listed three times. I like having them all by $0* more.
- All the Knights are listed out, with "Dames" and "Sirs" at the beginning of each part of the list instead of writing out "Dame" and "Sir" five times each.
- I added a row for the Base Cards expansion. The NavBox has links to all the other expansions, so why not Base Cards? It'd be nice to have the new art appear when mousing over these cards (same goes for when you're actually on the Base Cards page)

In this form, the only cards that are in parentheses are cards that are in the same pile (and Shelters).

:e Forgot to mention one weird thing--Sir Martin is listed with all the other Knights, even though he only costs $4. Should he stay in the list with the rest, be listed with the $4s as Sir Martin, or be listed with the $4s as Knight (Sir Martin)?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:17:04 pm by michaeljb »
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:20 pm »

It looks very cluttered.

That said, I have no suggestions for changes.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 01:36:34 pm »

OK well with no objections (except for the clutter, but hey, the current one is cluttered too :P) I have submitted it as shown in my previous post.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 05:14:15 pm »

I'd vote for the Base Cards mouseover image to be the default (image that comes in the base set and intrigue), since that's the image that most people will see in real life. The images are already on the individual card pages, so I'm sure they'll get seen plenty.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »

- For 'basic cards' I think it should be fine to just list the Curses and basic Treasures and Victory cards that come with Dominion and Intrigue. They are, after all, the only cards that are part of every game, so everyone can agree that they are basic. Potion, Platinum, etc are listed with their respective expansions.
- I added a row for the Base Cards expansion. The NavBox has links to all the other expansions, so why not Base Cards? It'd be nice to have the new art appear when mousing over these cards (same goes for when you're actually on the Base Cards page)

This is the only part I don't like. It's frankly redundant, and Base Cards isn't really an expansion in the same sense.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.