Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Replayability - Memento  (Read 5368 times)

Sakako

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
Replayability - Memento
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:10 am »
+1

How's this for a card?

Memento
Action - Treasure
$4

Choose a card in play that can be played this phase.
Play this card as if it were that card.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Replayability - Memento
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 02:35:09 am »

So it's a Throne Room that (1) only works on terminals if there are villages, (2) if you're playing it on a +1 Action or village, you'd rather have a TR, and (3) can't convert a cantrip to a village.

That's one seriously gimped TR.  The only place it has an advantage is if the cantrip you played draws into the Memento.

Maybe worth it at $3, but I don't see this design space being open anyway.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:43:57 am »

So it's a Throne Room that (1) only works on terminals if there are villages, (2) if you're playing it on a +1 Action or village, you'd rather have a TR, and (3) can't convert a cantrip to a village.

That's one seriously gimped TR.  The only place it has an advantage is if the cantrip you played draws into the Memento.

Maybe worth it at $3, but I don't see this design space being open anyway.

It's a treasure too! So it could wind up being a platinum if you play it last.

I think the wording would need a tune-up to make sense with Black Market, but I'm honestly not sure how that would look.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 03:07:41 am »

Action - Treasures are too confusing.

Can you trigger them with Loan and Venture?
How about Golem?

If you played it as an action, does it count towards Bank? Confusing.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 03:12:20 am »
+1

Action - Treasures are too confusing.

Can you trigger them with Loan and Venture?
How about Golem?

If you played it as an action, does it count towards Bank? Confusing.

I agree that it is pretty confusing, but wouldn't the answer to pretty much all of those situations be yes? Since dual types count as each type fully, it seems that Loan and Venture would find it and have to stop, Golem would have to play it (it might have to play as another Golem, which is pretty interesting), and it would indeed count as treasure towards Bank since it is a treasure and it is in play, even if it was originally played as an action.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 03:50:38 am »

I actually have thought about the Action/Treasure design space a fair bit. My favourite idea so far is dreadfully vanilla, though:

If played as an Action: +1 Card, +1 Action.
If played as a Treasure: Worth $1, +1 Buy.

It needs a name, and I keep vacillating between pricing it at $2 or $3.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:17 am »

And when played as an Action, does it get trashed by Mint?
I guess not, since it isn't played as a Treasure, but you can see the amount of confusion it raises.

For every edge case you provide an answer to, there will be another question around the corner, that is my concern.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:10:48 am »
+4

And when played as an Action, does it get trashed by Mint?
I guess not, since it isn't played as a Treasure, but you can see the amount of confusion it raises.
I'm actually quite sure that yes. "When you buy this, trash all Treasures you have in play." It is a Treasure, it is in play, so there it goes.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:53 am »
+1

Then it doesn't copy the Band of Misfits rule that it behaves exactly like the card it's played as.

I mean, if you play it as a Smithy, which is a single-type Action, it still gets trashed as a Treasure? That's just crazy.

I think it would be simpler to redesign it as:

Memento
Action - $4

Choose one: Play this as another Action card you have in play; or reveal and set aside a Treasure from your hand, during your buy phase, play that Treasure twice.

This makes it a mix between BoM and Counterfeit, without the trashing.

I'm not going to say anything about its power, but I think it's better to design it like this.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:52:16 am »

Then it doesn't copy the Band of Misfits rule that it behaves exactly like the card it's played as.

I mean, if you play it as a Smithy, which is a single-type Action, it still gets trashed as a Treasure? That's just crazy.
I'm by no means the DA-expert, but BoM is differnt I think. That get's to play as a Smithy, and is a Smithy concerning every rule for this turn until it leaves play. Smithy is a Action (and nothing else), so it isn't a Treasure.
Memento is a Action-Treasure, which is a perfectly standard double-type card like Harem, Great Hall or Tunnel.  Double-type cards have always been both types when types are needed.

edit: To clarify, I think the difference is that it just say "play it as...", when it does not say anything about what happens after playing.  So I think it would just be itself after playing, and itself is an Action-Treasure. And "playing" is long finished when you buy the Mint.  Anyway, when this version would stand, it was probably better to just use BoMs wording, in which case it would also behave like BoM.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:46:46 am by DStu »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 07:21:36 am »

It's the most elegant of the Action/Treasure cards I've seen, and it would be easier to keep track of than BoM (overlap it with the card it's impersonating).

As far as the power goes, the "scheme" effect is nowhere near as good as the treasure effect. This card could probably work at 3, as it's definitely not too strong to open with 2 copies, and that kind of price is shared with other cards that you'd want later in the game (menagerie, trade route).

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:35:41 am »

I see the BoM confusion.  Why not go with:

---
Memento
Action - Treasure
$4

Choose a card you have in play that can be played this phase.  Play that card again.
---

You don't get to double up on "While in play" clauses, but it simplifies a lot of rules.  It would be like an after-the-fact Throne Room.  But all of Davio's BoM-style worries would seem to disappear (which seemed to me the only legitimate confusions.).

This greatest abuse that I can see is using Mementos to keep durations cards in play.  You wouldn't need a second Tactician to play Double Tac, for instance, so long as you tag your Tactician with a Memento every round.  But oh well, that could be a fun combo on its own right.  At least you can't use Memento to replay your Tactician during the Buy phase, or else Memento would be even more warping than Black Market.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:37:38 am by SirPeebles »
Well you *do* need a signature...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:52 am »

I can live with that.

Sakako

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 10:16:31 am »

I actually toyed with the idea about having "This is that card until this leaves play" instead of "Play this..."

Would that be better? That gets rid of double-type shenanigans. I totally didn't see the duration abuse, cause technically those cards are actually "in play".. hm.

Also it's not/can't be "Play that card again" - what if you want to target a Highway? No benefit? No thanks.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:28:15 am »

Throne Room already King's Court give no additional bonus.  Procession removes the bonus.  Counterfeit also removes the bonus (of quarry, royal seal, talisman,...).  I feel it would be worth it for the rules simplification, but hey, it's your fan card.  Go with what seems fun.  I'd rather get to make use of the unique dual type, personally.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 07:59:17 pm »

What about:

Memento 2
Action
$5

You may choose an Action or Treasure card in your hand. Play it twice.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:04:44 pm by One Armed Man »

Sakako

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:04 pm »

Okay, look. The point is that it's not a Throne Room. One of the main features of this card is the delayed effect that you can get. Sorry, OneArmedMan, but that's a completely different card.

Another thing about this card is that if you have a cantrip in hand or something, it's not a dead card if you draw into it, unlike Throne Room. This card is sometimes better than Throne Room, but it's often worse - but it can affect Treasures too. I don't want to let people play Treasures in their Action phase or anything.

Also since it's a Treasure it probably needs a Treasure worth. So how about $0?

Memento
Action - Treasure
$4

Choose a card you have in play other than this. If you could normally play that card this phase, treat this card as if it were that card until this leaves play.
Worth $0

This means that if you choose an Action card during your Buy phase, Memento is just a Memento, and so you can activate Horn of Plenty with it - but that's about it. Not sure about the wording on the second sentence - it seems a bit wonky...

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 08:57:42 pm »

The worth $0 isn't necessary. If you don't have anything in play and you play a Memento, you fail to choose a card and nothing happens, but it's in play, so it can activate Bank and Horn of Plenty. The lack of a "worth $0" statement means it can be both an action and a treasure seamlessly, but if you put the worth $0 in and you play it as an action, that statement has no meaning.

Sakako

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 09:25:44 pm »

Yeah, good point. At any rate, I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. Does everyone agree on a $4 price point?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »

Now you've got the "while in play" effects of Highway, but you don't get any of the "on-play" effects of Highway, such as the +1 Card, +1 Action. 

Sakako

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »

Really? Is that how the wording looks? Screw it, then I'll just go back to the original wording :P

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 12:03:18 am »

I see the BoM confusion.  Why not go with:

---
Memento
Action - Treasure
$4

Choose a card you have in play that can be played this phase.  Play that card again.

"That can be played this phase" is tricky. If I'm resolving a Black Market and playing Treasures, can I play Memento to clone... an Action? A Treasure? I have no idea.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:55 am »

"If it's your buy phase, choose another treasure card you have in play. Otherwise, choose another action card you have in play. Play that card."

Sakako

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:27 am »

Alright. I think I fixed the Black Market problem.

Memento
Action - Treasure
$4

Choose a card you have in play. If you could normally play that card now, play this as if it were that card.

That's a much simpler wording, and I think it deals with funny combos and things pretty well.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.